UltraStudio Mini Monitor to monitoring via BMDCC?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

wro

UltraStudio Mini Monitor to monitoring via BMDCC?

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 5:04 pm

Hello,
it is possible to use a UltraStudio Mini Monitor (http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/ultrastudio/ 145$) to use with Blackmagic Cinema Camera and HDMI monitor?

Kholi Hicks

Re: UltraStudio Mini Monitor to monitoring via BMDCC?

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 7:22 pm

It should be! HD-SDI out to the laptop > thunderbolt, but you would need the studio as well and a converter from the hd-sdi signal to HDMI. I think anyway?

On the topic of the Mini MOnitor in general...

I've got two jobs that I'm going to DIT/manage two Blackmagic EF mounts on in the next two weeks and I'm considering using the Mini monitors, but I've got to figure out a solution to split the two thunderbolt ports on the Macbook PRO so that I can run it all at once.

I'm thinking of getting the Lacie ESATA dock which has two thunderbolt ports so you can daisy chain.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... &A=details

In this instance, I think you'd go Mini Monitor into one thunderbolt port, then out of the other comes the Lacie ESata, you daisy chain two Esata drives off of one port (your media that's coming off of the camera) and an Esata SSD reader to the other, and out of the Thunderbolt port comes the mini monitor.

I haven't quite worked this out yet, but in my head it works just fine and adds a bit of additional value for client viewing (even though if you've got the "right" studio monitor you could pseudo setup a look on that specifically for the camera.)

Hope that helps!
Kholi Hicks

Kholi Hicks

Re: UltraStudio Mini Monitor to monitoring via BMDCC?

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 7:27 pm

OOps I got that lfipped around, the monitor is the Thunderbolt in > HD-SDI + HDMI out.

I think the thunderbolt needs to have a laptop connection from the camera, though, to display video? I actually have not tried that.

Sorry about the confusion! I Blame the migrane. =P
Kholi Hicks

Return to Cinematography