BMPCC external battery. Remove internal one?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Simon Wyndham

BMPCC external battery. Remove internal one?

PostFri Jan 09, 2015 6:01 pm

Just a check really. I remember reading somewhere (I think on the other BMD forum on the web) that somebody said that they really seriously advised against having the internal battery inside the BMPCC when powering from an external source.

Anyone heard anything similar? I can't find the thread right now, but the guy seemed pretty adamant that it could damage the camera in some way. I'm not sure how, but I want to be sure before I start using my external battery in combination with an internal one.

Denny Smith

Re: BMPCC external battery. Remove internal one?

PostFri Jan 09, 2015 7:08 pm

No, you will not damage the camera or internal battery, as long as ext. battery is 7.2-15VDC, best if 12-15VDC. With the internal battery in, the ext. battery will charge internal battery (if not already at full charge) while running camera. You can use ext. battery without internal battery, if using an external battery of at least 7.2 VDC at 1500 MAmp or higher (the higher the amp rating, the longer a run time you will get. Advantage of having internal battery in the camera, is you can "hot swap" the ext. battery without stoping camera.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Mac Jaeger

Re: BMPCC external battery. Remove internal one?

PostFri Jan 09, 2015 7:59 pm

Leaving the internal battery in won't cause serious problems, you won't risk damaging the camera or the battery (though the constant trickle charging might reduce the batteries' life span). Some Energy from your external battery will be converted to heat in the process, so you'll see a little less battery uptime and you'll probably experience a few degrees hotter camera temperature (which may cause more visual noise); but on the other hand you'll always have a power reserve inside your camera in case you drop external one, unplug it by accident, or it simply runs out... Especially when rigging the beast i really want to keept the internal one in.

Return to Cinematography