Camera Shipping Mini Update: 12/7

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Christine Peterson

Camera Shipping Mini Update: 12/7

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 8:45 pm

Hi guys,

We're sincerely sorry for the delayed camera shipping update. It looks like we'll receive a detailed update by next Friday, US time.

Thanks for your patience,
Christine
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)

Tom

Re: Camera Shipping Mini Update: 12/7

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 8:53 pm

Thanks Christine,

Probably no point in asking if its good or bad news, as you would probably have said if you were allowed to....?
Tom Majerski
Colourist at Tracks and Layers
http://www.Tracksandlayers.com
Motion Graphics - Colour Grading - VFX

ChrisMV

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 8:55 pm

Thanks! I will be here till I get my camera! There is no other camera I would buy! In the meantime I spend my time collecting lenses. = )

Marcel Beck

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 9:02 pm

Great test of the email updates!

So, friday here we come!
Marcel Beck
Cinematographer & Producer
follow me: @mxbstudios

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 9:03 pm

I'm officially starting to lose my patience now ... :(

(Formerly a #1 BMCC & BMD fan, now not so sure.)

Margus Voll

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 9:07 pm

Thank You!
Margus Voll, CSI

http://www.iconstudios.eu
margus (at) iconstudios.eu
IG: margusvoll

Christine Peterson

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 9:10 pm

Tom wrote:Thanks Christine,

Probably no point in asking if its good or bad news, as you would probably have said if you were allowed to....?

I've heard nothing that would indicate bad news. Just delayed news.
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)

Bill Rich

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 9:13 pm

Thanks Christine!
I can't wait to get the update!
And the email system worked great!
I'm here until I get my BMCC as well..
Thanks!
Bill Rich
PhotoJournalist/Editor/Producer
Los Angeles, California

Trevor Roach

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 9:15 pm

Thanks Christine!

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 9:18 pm

Marcel Beck wrote:Great test of the email updates!

So, friday here we come!

Most importent thing this did.

Jim Froom

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 9:22 pm

Christine Peterson wrote:

That's probably the most positive news in a month.
Jim Froom

Joel Graham

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 9:26 pm

Is this a joke?

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 9:40 pm

Joel Graham wrote:Is this a joke?

Hi Joel: It appears some of us Portlanders aren't easily amused ("Portlandia" notwithstanding.) I have pretty much the same reaction to Christine's "update" as you do. Cheers.

Jesuan Soriano

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 9:53 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:
Joel Graham wrote:Is this a joke?

Hi Joel: It appears some of us Portlanders aren't easily amused ("Portlandia" notwithstanding.) I have pretty much the same reaction to Christine's "update" as you do. Cheers.

don't worry I will join your cause too

It's kind of ridiculous...but that's BMD!!!!

Jesus
Jesus Soriano

Bernie Ryan

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 10:05 pm

Next friday is my birthday, guess what i want...

Rev

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 10:09 pm

Some people have to seriously grow up. They're not doing it on purpose. Its obvious that BM is waiting for answers to some test or some new part vendor. They're hoping to get an answer by next week to the issue and by Friday is when they will know. And if those tests don't go well expect more silence until they have something to say that offers info of forward momentum in delivery.

Ted Blanco

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 10:13 pm

cyber city films. Bernie wrote:Next friday is my birthday, guess what i want...

an update?

Nick Bedford

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 10:26 pm

Updateception.

So I herd u liek updates, so I put an update in an update in an update.
Nick Bedford, Photographer
http://www.nickbedford.com/

Christian Schmeer

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 10:30 pm

Nick Bedford wrote:So I herd u liek updates, so I put an update in an update in an update.

Oh, man! Thanks, X! Now I can ride around with my update, updating my other updates.
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

Costa Louvieris

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 10:52 pm

Rev wrote:Some people have to seriously grow up. They're not doing it on purpose. Its obvious that BM is waiting for answers to some test or some new part vendor. They're hoping to get an answer by next week to the issue and by Friday is when they will know. And if those tests don't go well expect more silence until they have something to say that offers info of forward momentum in delivery.

If that is the case, which it may well be then why not SAY that in this update, as they have done before? That horse you're on is mighty high up;)

Btw no hate aimed at Christine.... it's not her fault, but I bet accepting a job at BMD is currently the worst mistake she has ever made! Damneed if you and damned if you don't.

Fabián Matas

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 11:12 pm

Thanks Christine :)

sruchelli

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 11:15 pm

Christine Peterson wrote:

It´s really no news that they you are delayed with the camera shipping. Why this hole month of silence? And now you POST telling that you have "NEWS ON THE CAMERA SHIPPING DELAY"
Are we, the customers, been taking by stupid?
Somthing is just not feeling wright.

sean mclennan

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 11:19 pm

Thanks Christine.

That's very disappointing news, however, everyone WAS asking for *any* kind of update and you've given us a firm date when we will have more information.

I really hope the information next Friday is extremely positive.

sean

c.carlos.n

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 11:25 pm

Christine Peterson wrote:Hi guys,

We're sincerely sorry for the delayed camera shipping update. It looks like we'll receive a detailed update by next Friday, US time.

Thanks for your patience,
Christine

Thanks for the effort, I know it can't be easy on you hearing all the jive... but some of us appreciate the news even if it only shows your listening...

again thanks
Carlos E Núñez

Bill Rich

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 11:33 pm

Y'all are jumping on Christine for letting you know when to expect an update? Yikes! I don't know about y'all.. but I'm glad she let me know. Now I don't have to check all weekend and next week wondering when the update will come.. Plus it was a good test of the email notifications.

I've decided I'm sticking with the BMCC.. so I'm really trying to stay positive about all this. I've been waiting for a camera like this for a LONG time.. a little bit longer isn't going to kill me..

See everyone next Friday..
Bill Rich
PhotoJournalist/Editor/Producer
Los Angeles, California

erock266

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 11:53 pm

Two things.

1.) Thanks for the update. I will continue to wait patiently for the BMCC, looking forward to testing it out.

2.) For everyone who is dumping on Christine, that's basically like honking when you're stuck in traffic, it serves no purpose. Take your money back or cancel your pre-order if you're not happy about the delay but don't post about it here. We don't want to scroll through your negativity to get to the news.

Thanks!

P.S. What is this smiley for? :mrgreen: or this? :ugeek:

Rev

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 11:58 pm

Costa Louvieris wrote:[quote="Rev"

If that is the case, which it may well be then why not SAY that in this update, as they have done before? That horse you're on is mighty high up;)

Btw no hate aimed at Christine.... it's not her fault, but I bet accepting a job at BMD is currently the worst mistake she has ever made! Damneed if you and damned if you don't.

And all that bitchin and moanin you're doing puts you on a even higher horse because you keep thinking you're doing something when you're doing absolutely nothing.

Why not post an update about the outcome of an unknown test that hasn't happened yet. Because trolls like you will bitch and moan and ask a million questions that won't help the situation only to have you post how sucky it is to work for BMD.

Lorenzo Straight

PostSat Dec 08, 2012 12:19 am

Thanks Christine.
MSI GS60 Ghost Pro-4K-605-2.7 GHz Intel Core i7-5700HQ (Broadwell)-16GB of 1600 MHz DDR3L RAM-1TB 7200 rpm HDD + 128GB M.2 SSD-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M GPU (6GB GDDR5)-15.6" UHD + 4K IPS Display-3840 x 2160
-Windows 8.1

kim

PostSat Dec 08, 2012 1:02 am

Looking forward to se the thing in the real world. 2 edition is just intime.

micklindquist

PostSat Dec 08, 2012 1:17 am

Hoping waiting anticipating ......

Gaishnic

PostSat Dec 08, 2012 1:30 am

Christine thank you
For freedom from annoying 11/15
:mrgreen:

nicfargo

PostSat Dec 08, 2012 1:58 am

I'm here for the long haul, as I can't afford anything else and already have a MK III and MK II, so the BMCC will be great for us. I also don't want to be Bloomed and not allowed to purchase a BMCC (which I doubt would happen because Grant doesn't seem to be...eccentric like Janard).

But...an update on an upcoming update??? Is that like alpha testing or beta testing the update? I'm not sure. Was it to check the water to see how an update would be received? Just more confusion...sigh.

Taikonaut

PostSat Dec 08, 2012 2:05 am

Rev wrote:Some people have to seriously grow up. They're not doing it on purpose. Its obvious that BM is waiting for answers to some test or some new part vendor. They're hoping to get an answer by next week to the issue and by Friday is when they will know. And if those tests don't go well expect more silence until they have something to say that offers info of forward momentum in delivery.

We have one former BMD apologist officially joining the growing rank of sceptics but up pop another apologist. Serious need to get ....... and see the light.
We need answer if and when they are going to deliver and at what quantity. BMD won't tell us.

Rev

PostSat Dec 08, 2012 2:26 am

Taikonaut wrote:

We have one former BMD apologist officially joining the growing rank of sceptics but up pop another apologist. Serious need to get head out of ---- and see the light.
We need answer if and when they are going to deliver and at what quantity. BMD won't tell us.

I'd love for you to talk to people like that to their face. I'd seriously like to see you do that.
Last edited by Christine Peterson on Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Profanity

kim

PostSat Dec 08, 2012 2:40 am

Not in time

Jason R. Johnston

PostSat Dec 08, 2012 3:20 am

I've noticed that the ones being labeled "apologists" are working DPs with street and IMDb cred who have paid their dues and know how the industry works. They were an elite few, but with an Alexa-quality camera at a prosumer-attainable price, the forum floodgates are opened to a whole new level of customers... probably the exact "kitten videos shot on 2.5K raw" crowd that the recent Downfall video poked fun at. ;)

I don't think I'm apologizing or covering for Blackmagic, nor do I think I need to. The camera will get to us when it gets to us. Until then, we are all waiting. Some of you might be getting cameras, and that's great. Soon, all of us will. SOON! It'll happen and it'll be glorious. But until then, you just have to wait. Sorry. Hmm, I guess I am an apologist. At least I'm in good company. :D

Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to the next update, whenever that may come; and I want it to come, but not at the expense of the cameras not being shipped in perfect working order. It's BMD's job to deliver a working as-advertised, regularly upgraded, cinema camera for $2995 with software. As long as they do that before the next best thing comes along at the same price, they can go about it however they wish. And, like Brawley said: if you don't like the way they do business, don't buy their stuff. I guarantee someone more patient will... and they will reap the benefits. Good things are worth waiting for. Good, fast, cheap: you can't have all three. 8-)
JASONRJOHNSTON.COM | CINEMATOGRAPHER | DIRECTOR | EDITOR | COLORIST
RED Komodo | DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5 | 2023 MacBook M2 Pro 14

LincolnL

PostSat Dec 08, 2012 3:57 am

Rev wrote:
Taikonaut wrote:

We have one former BMD apologist officially joining the growing rank of sceptics but up pop another apologist. Serious need to get head out of ---- and see the light.

I'd love for you to talk to people like that to their face *******. I'd seriously like to see you do that.

Big talk from a guy who won't use his real name. Right back at ya pal. Just stand in line and wait for your pat on the head, maybe you'll get a gold star

PaulDelVecchio

PostSat Dec 08, 2012 4:05 am

Jason R. Johnston wrote:I've noticed that the ones being labeled "apologists" are working DPs with street and IMDb cred who have paid their dues and know how the industry works. They were an elite few, but with an Alexa-quality camera at a prosumer-attainable price, the forum floodgates are opened to a whole new level of customers... probably the exact "kitten videos shot on 2.5K raw" crowd that the recent Downfall video poked fun at. ;)

I don't think I'm apologizing or covering for Blackmagic, nor do I think I need to. The camera will get to us when it gets to us. Until then, we are all waiting. Some of you might be getting cameras, and that's great. Soon, all of us will. SOON! It'll happen and it'll be glorious. But until then, you just have to wait. Sorry. Hmm, I guess I am an apologist. At least I'm in good company. :D

Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to the next update, whenever that may come; and I want it to come, but not at the expense of the cameras not being shipped in perfect working order. It's BMD's job to deliver a working as-advertised, regularly upgraded, cinema camera for $2995 with software. As long as they do that before the next best thing comes along at the same price, they can go about it however they wish. And, like Brawley said: if you don't like the way they do business, don't buy their stuff. I guarantee someone more patient will... and they will reap the benefits. Good things are worth waiting for. Good, fast, cheap: you can't have all three. 8-)

I've been labeled an apologist too yet I am as disappointed as the next person about the delays. The fact that I try to be understanding about delays and reasons for lack of updates makes me an apologist rather than empathetic or understanding. Of course I'm annoyed and upset about the delays and might even disagree with some of the steps and decisions made, but such is life and I feel my time is better spent making money in order to better my life than complaining on forums. Of course it sucks. As I set here typing this at the airport, fresh off a job I just finished shooting, I'm thinking to myself that I could have used the BMCC on this gig as well as principal photography back in August but my client is happy with the results and I've got a good chunk of change in my pocket. I'm grateful to even have clients that trust me enough to continually hire me whether I have a BMCC or not.

What I'm saying is yeah the delays suck, but applying yourself elsewhere while you wait will go a long way. If you ask me, a few grand in my pocket is better than a BMCC and who knows... if you find the right client(s), the BMCC might not even be your A cam. You might be able to afford a Scarlet or an Epic.

I want a BMCC as bad as the next person (probably more) but I know BMD wants to ship more than I want to own and there are things sometimes you cant control once you pick a path. There are reasons for everything done and business reasons are sometimes hard to understand from the outside.

Ill say it again, this wait sucks but there's nothing we can do, the ball is in BMD's court at the moment so we might as well make some money while we wait for them to work this out. I still don't see how this makes me an apologist so screw it, think what you will, but I'm certainly not sorry for trying to keep a positive attitude and making money while I wait.
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv

m.snell-callanen

PostSat Dec 08, 2012 4:45 am

nicfargo wrote:I'm here for the long haul, as I can't afford anything else and already have a MK III and MK II, so the BMCC will be great for us. I also don't want to be Bloomed and not allowed to purchase a BMCC (which I doubt would happen because Grant doesn't seem to be...eccentric like Janard).

But...an update on an upcoming update??? Is that like alpha testing or beta testing the update? I'm not sure. Was it to check the water to see how an update would be received? Just more confusion...sigh.

What's being "bloomed" mean?

Thanks Christine.

Matt

PaulDelVecchio

PostSat Dec 08, 2012 4:48 am

By the way.... thanks Christine. I appreciate the update.
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv

Jason R. Johnston

PostSat Dec 08, 2012 7:29 am

PaulDelVecchio wrote:Ill say it again, this wait sucks but there's nothing we can do, the ball is in BMD's court at the moment so we might as well make some money while we wait for them to work this out. I still don't see how this makes me an apologist so screw it, think what you will, but I'm certainly not sorry for trying to keep a positive attitude and making money while I wait.

Absolutely.

And thanks, Christine. I forgot to say it earlier.

Nikolay Smirnov

PostSat Dec 08, 2012 7:38 am

I will slap my display if the Friday update will be delayed.
DoP/Colorist
FADE Post-production

Jason R. Johnston

PostSat Dec 08, 2012 7:40 am

m.snell-callanen wrote:What's being "bloomed" mean?

Back in the day there was this dude named Phillip Bloom who had a falling out with RED Digital Cinema Camera Company and was blacklisted from ever buying another gidget from RED, as well as blocked from REDUSER.net, an ordeal which he wrote about on his blog.

So, I'd say to be "bloomed" means to complain honestly about your treatment by a camera company on their forum only to be banned and blacklisted...something which Blackmagic Design has no perceived inclination of doing. Anyway, RED has since apologized and Blackmagic has been, so far, beyond tolerant of every opinion stated on their forum.

Costa Louvieris

PostSat Dec 08, 2012 8:26 am

Jason R. Johnston wrote:
m.snell-callanen wrote:What's being "bloomed" mean?

Back in the day there was this dude named Phillip Bloom who had a falling out with RED Digital Cinema Camera Company and was blacklisted from ever buying another gidget from RED, as well as blocked from REDUSER.net, an ordeal which he wrote about on his blog.

That's because you'd be the only one left unbanned:)
That's because you'd be the only one left unbanned; )
So, I'd say to be "bloomed" means to complain honestly about your treatment by a camera company on their forum only to be banned and blacklisted...something which Blackmagic Design has no perceived inclination of doing. Anyway, RED has since apologized and Blackmagic has been, so far, beyond tolerant of every opinion stated on their forum.

That's because you'd be the only person left unbanned. Most apologists have joined the "ok now this is getting silly" ranks.

Michael Sandiford

PostSat Dec 08, 2012 10:38 am

I've not, and you can label me an apologist all you want. I had a specific big project in mind for this camera and was hoping it would be released in time. Now the delays and with the backup amongst prepaid customers I doubt I'll see it in time. No biggy though. A camera that shoots raw as well as pro res 422 sub £3k (poaching in Alexa territory) is still worth waiting for and when we do get our hands on it, I've got lots planned. Until then I'll just be using my trusty old 550D's and 5Dmk2's DSLR's as my base budget workhorses. I'm of the brigade of get it right and get it out then. If something else comes out that's better at that price point then I'll consider that instead.

I understand the frustration out of people who pre-ordered but your options are now simple enough. Cancel and move on, or wait it out. Moaning about it incessantly is doing no one any good now. I'd expect to see nothing till gone February now guys (purely me guesstimating). Anything earlier is a bonus.

Cheers for the update Christine, hope it's good news for all.

Mike Collier

PostSat Dec 08, 2012 11:38 am

Skip to 2:15 for the relevant bit. Or 3:25 if your impatient (which it seems as a group we are prone to being impatient).

Lois CK - Everything is amazing, and nobody's happy.
Michael Collier, II
Cinematographer - Gaffer - Camera Operator

http://www.RandomAcronym.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3075740/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Alex Tissot

PostSat Dec 08, 2012 1:42 pm

randomacronym wrote:Skip to 2:15 for the relevant bit. Or 3:25 if your impatient (which it seems as a group we are prone to being impatient).

Lois CK - Everything is amazing, and nobody's happy.

LOL

...a chair in the sky... :-)

I hope very good shipping news and a new firmware with 100fps or 60 fps in 1080P :-)

@lex.

https://vimeo.com/user5198817
https://vimeo.com/user5198817

Abobakr M. Alshiblie

PostSat Dec 08, 2012 1:57 pm

Thanks Christine..

well guys, we will hear an update on Friday and that sounds good, weather it be Good News or bad news "and perhapse as usual, there will be delays to the update too".. but the ugly truth, it won't be December and neither January.. February or March till we see shipping in large quantities.. until then it will be only a single camera popping up once a week or so!! I am not sure if I can handle this long.. This is too much already.. oh, and good luck to those who ordered the MFT mount version.. and perhaps Nab 2013 will hit and there will be some of us aging and still waiting

baforest

PostSat Dec 08, 2012 2:13 pm

Why are there "adults" coming in here and doing nothing more than name calling those that say they are going to continue to wait. Yes, we are all FED UP with all of the waiting. Waiting on the camera. Waiting on the updates. This is not something any of us really wish to do. But it is something we must do if we want this camera.

As has been said in other places on the overall forum, if you don't like it, don't wait for the camera. Don't buy the camera. Don't come in here and spread your whiney nature with those that wish to talk. We are all waiting. Christine is doing her job as best she can.
Bruce Forest
Ordered: Sept. 7, 2012

JThompson

PostSat Dec 08, 2012 3:55 pm

Love Black Magic products but they tend to have trouble meeting shipping deadlines on new products.
We ordered an ATEM2 in July 2011. It was finally delivered in February 2012.
When it arrived it worked as they said it would and we are very happy. But, the wait created many problems for us.
Waiting for this camera is not causing us major problems but it is frustrating.
Next

Return to Cinematography