This Next Update

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

bhook

This Next Update

PostMon Dec 10, 2012 12:28 am

Is it just me or is this next update really, really, really important to you? I've got some heavy duty decisions to make and this next update is crucial to me.

Nick Bedford

Re: This Next Update

PostMon Dec 10, 2012 12:30 am

mhood wrote:Is it just me or is this next update really, really, really important to you? I've got some heavy duty decisions to make and this next update is crucial to me.

I'd be lying if I wasn't hoping that this is the update we've been looking for, droids not withstanding.

Strangely, I have a better feeling about this than previous updates.
Nick Bedford, Photographer
http://www.nickbedford.com/

Ryan McCarvill

PostMon Dec 10, 2012 12:39 am

Yep - need to start planning. Read on a few places now that "sources" are saying that the yield for quality sensors are below 30%. It's not just the glass, its the sensors themselves can not be manufactured at quantity.

Howard L Hughes

PostMon Dec 10, 2012 12:47 am

gonna take the good with the bad and say i'm in on this camera no matter what. frustrated but i can't lie i love the quality. there is no work around for image quality.

Andy Smith

PostMon Dec 10, 2012 2:56 am

Ryan McCarvill wrote:Yep - need to start planning. Read on a few places now that "sources" are saying that the yield for quality sensors are below 30%. It's not just the glass, its the sensors themselves can not be manufactured at quantity.

Where did you see this Ryan?

Nick Bedford wrote:
mhood wrote:Is it just me or is this next update really, really, really important to you? I've got some heavy duty decisions to make and this next update is crucial to me.

I'd be lying if I wasn't hoping that this is the update we've been looking for, droids not withstanding.

Strangely, I have a better feeling about this than previous updates.

I'm actually feeling the opposite.

I'd be optimistic if there were any signs of progress but there aren't any. There hasn't been an increase in reports of cameras being received, arguably its the lowest it's been since they've started shipping. I'll wait until the update on Friday but i'd be shocked to hear of masses of cameras shipping.

Tom

PostMon Dec 10, 2012 6:52 am

My optimistic side of the brain is telling me this:

"The update delay is about a month long, this is because they want to see the actual numbers for how many can be produced when production is ramped up. The next update will confirm a rough guide as to the quantity being produced now and will also confirm several thousand have just left the factory, enough to fulfil the first 100 or so pre-orders at the major resellers"

My sceptical side of the brain is telling me this:

"The update delay is due to even more serious problems. They are taking their time to properly assess the situation and meet with all the relevant people in order to consider postponing the camera until a later date whereby manufacturing problems will have been resolved. They will announce that all pre-orders will be cancelled and the next re-launch date will be Q2 2013"

My realistic side of the brain is telling me this:

"You know nothing Tom, stop worrying. Calm down and just focus on your work. If its good news next week, great, if its bad news, well its not the end of the world."

Bloody brain!

;-)
Tom Majerski
Colourist at Tracks and Layers
http://www.Tracksandlayers.com
Motion Graphics - Colour Grading - VFX

Abobakr M. Alshiblie

PostMon Dec 10, 2012 7:36 am

I have some thoughts contradecting to jump to a a different boat or stick with the wait!! My hunche is that the next update would still make no different.. It will be just promises!! If it was good news, we would have felt it and seen it around specially with our dealers.. We haven't seen cameras being shipped!! it still doesn't sound too good..

and this recent comment by Carlsen, gives me the willies!!
viewtopic.php?p=19963#p19963

Albert N. Romero

PostMon Dec 10, 2012 7:42 am

Tom wrote:My optimistic side of the brain is telling me this:

"The update delay is about a month long, this is because they want to see the actual numbers for how many can be produced when production is ramped up. The next update will confirm a rough guide as to the quantity being produced now and will also confirm several thousand have just left the factory, enough to fulfil the first 100 or so pre-orders at the major resellers"

My sceptical side of the brain is telling me this:

"The update delay is due to even more serious problems. They are taking their time to properly assess the situation and meet with all the relevant people in order to consider postponing the camera until a later date whereby manufacturing problems will have been resolved. They will announce that all pre-orders will be cancelled and the next re-launch date will be Q2 2013"

My realistic side of the brain is telling me this:

"You know nothing Tom, stop worrying. Calm down and just focus on your work. If its good news next week, great, if its bad news, well its not the end of the world."

Bloody brain!

;-)

I only have sceptical... Crap

Luke Armstrong

PostMon Dec 10, 2012 10:35 am

I love the enthusiasm of some on here who say they will stick with the BMC no matter what - I remember when I felt that way! It won't be too long before something else comes along at the rate the BMC is shipping. In any case, no object deserves this much time or money tied up for it. If the update is bad, I'm canceling, enough is enough. Frankly, I feel if I have waited all this time to wait three weeks to hear an update that says 'more of the same' then BMD can keep their silly camera. Of course if it ships I'll have it please :lol:

I'll just have to rent an Alexa for my future projects - at least I know it will be there!
Luke Armstrong - Digital Compositor
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4274789/

Nick Bedford

PostMon Dec 10, 2012 11:07 am

Can I err use this home loan to buy an Alexa?

Err... no.

Aww. Can I cancel this home loan then?
Nick Bedford, Photographer
http://www.nickbedford.com/

Christian Schmeer

PostMon Dec 10, 2012 11:40 am

I really hope it's good news, I need some good news for once.
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

Marcel Beck

PostMon Dec 10, 2012 12:48 pm

Not trying to be harsh but I prefer no update this Friday if the following is not included;

- What is ACTUALLY going on with the issue/camera?
- Whats the status on shipments?
- Whats the future of shipments (MFT) look like?
- Since Christmas is around the corner the rumor of receiving the BMC at Q1 2013 looks feasible, please prove us wrong :)

other than that, anything else would be a waste of bandwidth. Update on Updates being delayed Updates aren't really Updates to begin with.

We can all hope for good news, at this point I just want to see some movement from BMD on the matter.
Marcel Beck
Cinematographer & Producer
follow me: @mxbstudios

Roland Öller

PostMon Dec 10, 2012 6:28 pm

I honestly don't think about the coming announcement that much because there is nothing I can do about it.

For me, the subject brought up an honest question:
To all the people who are thinking about "jumping ship" (which I don't yet):
Where do you plan to jump towards?

Canon DSLRs are out of the question because of the relatively low image quality.
Scarlet, C300, 1DC, F3, F5, FS700 and even C100 and FS100 are too expensive for my taste.
Sony A99 seems to not quite convince in terms of image quality. Though I don't know that for sure.

The only other affordable high-quality, large sensor video camera that I can think of would be the GH3. I haven't kept up to date to it so I'm wondering whether it has clean 4:2:2 HDMI output. And if you want to use that, you still need an external recorder.

It just seems a bit weird to me that so many people are complaining when there is no real alternative on the market.

Frank Born

PostMon Dec 10, 2012 6:53 pm

Roland Öller wrote:... to it so I'm wondering whether it has clean 4:2:2 HDMI output.

No, it hasn't. Panasonic messed up. Some say the Sensor as well.
Cheers, Frank

Abobakr M. Alshiblie

PostMon Dec 10, 2012 10:44 pm

I have been really thinking about S16 film camera!!.. I found some intersting prices on eBay but the problem was with the absence of labs and digital scanning facilities in my country and near by countries.. which then I would have to send the roll-films outside to other countries for developing and digital scanning!!

Cameron Mckinlay

PostMon Dec 10, 2012 11:14 pm

Abobakr M. Alshiblie wrote:I have been really thinking about S16 film camera!!.. I found some intersting prices on eBay but the problem was with the absence of labs and digital scanning facilities in my country and near by countries.. which then I would have to send the roll-films outside to other countries for developing and digital scanning!!

You think with the slow death of film that digital film scanners would be cheap to buy now. I imagine the actual film to be expensive to buy and hard to find. Anyone have any knowledge on this?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Cameron Mckinlay

Abobakr M. Alshiblie

PostMon Dec 10, 2012 11:23 pm

Why would someone buy a digital film scanner!! It is too expensive to own one!! You send the rolls to the labs to scan it.. I have searched for some labs and I found some good interesting pricing per feet for 2k scanning!! If you really play it safe and calculate the numbers right it is not expensive as someone would think!! Yes it is not as friendly as digital, and it is not cheap.. But it is not as expensive as some might claimed it to be!! And by the way, there are some interesting packages when you buy your stock films!!

If you are in the UK! this might sounds lovely
http://www.complete16.com/

sweetunknown

PostMon Dec 10, 2012 11:42 pm

The image coming out of the BMCC is great, and the shortcomings can be worked around, but can't do anything without the camera...Looking around, all I see that "compare" for "cost" (Canon DSLR's aside, I have a T3i and T2i) GH3, C100, Kineraw 35. The C100 isn't broadcast ready without an external recorder, GH3 is. Kineraw isnt here yet. Im leaning toward getting my money back, using the GH3 for my shorts, music videos (1080p/60fps), commercials, etc. and maybe by the time its time to shoot my feature, the camera will be here. But Im open to any other thoughts too.

marcs

PostTue Dec 11, 2012 1:41 am

@ roland

ive heard from several reliable sources that the gh3 uses a sony sensor. for video apps, you're better off patching a gh2 (besides they only cost $499 now)! i have both presently, and much prefer the gh2. 60p is overrated. 60i on gh2 looks fine, with less video-ish artefacting. you'll notice this most, however, when uprezzing for 2k projection. but if you never intend to view your work in a high res theater setting as with zacuto tests, it wont matter much

Seaborn

PostTue Dec 11, 2012 2:18 am

Am i living the boat?
really close to get a scarlet!
It seem like i'm convincing my self, with all the delay, the firmware issue, audio stuff, lens incompatibility, lack of mft active mount, high speed option missing...
We are now waiting for update or update schedule... I think i gonna buy something else and when this cam will be available and firmware updated or maybe a v2 maybe make a moove.

I still sure that BM will give the cinematographer world something really big... in 2013
Seaborn studio
https://www.studioseaborn.com

rick.lang

PostTue Dec 11, 2012 5:56 am

Abobakr M. Alshiblie wrote:Why would someone buy a digital film scanner!! It is too expensive to own one!! You send the rolls to the labs to scan it.. I have searched for some labs and I found some good interesting pricing per feet for 2k scanning!! If you really play it safe and calculate the numbers right it is not expensive as someone would think!! Yes it is not as friendly as digital, and it is not cheap.. But it is not as expensive as some might claimed it to be!! And by the way, there are some interesting packages when you buy your stock films!!

If you are in the UK! this might sounds lovely
http://www.complete16.com/

I plan on having my 16mm film scanned later next year in the USA and the rates appear to be higher but I was thinking about a 4K scan. Due to the approximately 4:3 aspect ratio, I was told the 2K scan doesn't scan the full height of the Film frame. It certainly scanned enough to format a HD deliverable with the top and bottom cropped. I will likely use the 4K scan to get the entire frame and then do my own framing on a clip by clip basis. So just be aware you may not quite get what you expect at the low price they're quoting. And you know 400' is not much time so you will go through quite a bit of money shooting film negative as I did. Yes, film gives lovely results, but you can easily have superior resolution if you go digital.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Abobakr M. Alshiblie

PostTue Dec 11, 2012 8:56 am

Thanks Rick.. Well, I sam still not going film yet.. the absence of the labs in where I live and near by countries is what set me away from going on film..

Film scanner is pricey but it is nice to have your own!! Perhapse Blackmagic wil come up with an affordable one by the time you are going to buy one haha

Marcel Beck

PostTue Dec 11, 2012 9:14 am

Abobakr M. Alshiblie wrote:Thanks Rick.. Well, I sam still not going film yet.. the absence of the labs in where I live and near by countries is what set me away from going on film..

Film scanner is pricey but it is nice to have your own!! Perhapse Blackmagic wil come up with an affordable one by the time you are going to buy one haha

What countries do you border with?

We shot 16mm beginning of the year and it took ages to get back to us, not only that, since the kodak facility shut down in our area we had to ship internationally, so the $$ add up :(

Non the less it was great experience with the ARRI SR 3
Marcel Beck

Abobakr M. Alshiblie

PostTue Dec 11, 2012 9:21 am

Marcel Beck wrote:

We shot 16mm beginning of the year and it took ages to get back to us, not only that, since the kodak facility shut down in our area we had to ship internationally, so the $$ add up :(

Yeah, I heard about many labs are being shut down!! It is sad to hear about that!! Where did you scan and developed the films?! I was hoping to find labs in UAE or Qatar but I couldn't find any!! All hear is labs are being shut down!!

John Brawley

PostTue Dec 11, 2012 11:21 am

Abobakr M. Alshiblie wrote:

Let's not forget their recent acquisition of Cintel.

The problem with film, is that even though in many cases it's still a better origination medium, the infrastructure that supports it is rapidly disappearing...

There is now only a single Lab in Oz that can process film. If you're not living in the same city there's no hope because of the cost of freight.

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Abobakr M. Alshiblie

PostTue Dec 11, 2012 11:41 am

..If you're not living in the same city there's no hope because of the cost of freight.

Very True.. Plus the time and days being wasted on shipping them back and forth!!

Let's not forget their recent acquisition of Cintel.

Really Interesting.. I am eager to know where will they go with it!!

Marcel Beck

PostTue Dec 11, 2012 1:23 pm

Abobakr M. Alshiblie wrote:
Marcel Beck wrote:

Yeah, I heard about many labs are being shut down!! It is sad to hear about that!! Where did you scan and developed the films?! I was hoping to find labs in UAE or Qatar but I couldn't find any!! All hear is labs are being shut down!!

We sent ours over to lebanon, took 2 months to get back... bummer!
Marcel Beck

rick.lang

PostTue Dec 11, 2012 1:56 pm

John Brawley wrote:Let's not forget their recent acquisition of Cintel.

The problem with film, is that even though in many cases it's still a better origination medium, the infrastructure that supports it is rapidly disappearing...

There is now only a single Lab in Oz that can process film. If you're not living in the same city there's no hope because of the cost of freight.

jb

Yes, had not thought about what the Cintel acquisition may mean, nor given BMD's Revival any thought (yet) if I have quality issues with the old film. Has BMD announced their plans re Cintel?

The film processing lab I used in Vancouver, Canada, still operates but their scanning services didn't seem to be on par with the services from an Arizona company so that's likely an international shipment for me next year. Some places are local in Victoria but they are the usually ones that scan your home movies and put the results on a DVD! I have quite a lot of unexposed black and white 16mm film but sadly I don't think I'll ever use it due to the costs. I'd rather invest in new digital equipment.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Abobakr M. Alshiblie

PostTue Dec 11, 2012 6:00 pm

Marcel Beck wrote:
We sent ours over to lebanon, took 2 months to get back... bummer!

2 months.. That is bad.. btw, I think the lab is either closed or switched it to a digital post facility house.. I think so, I am not sure.. it was quite a while when I was searching!!

malbrand

PostTue Dec 11, 2012 11:28 pm

my best prediction for next memorable friday update is:

BmD says:

good news is : you will all receive your cams before the End Of The World

bad news is : the world will not end in this December 21st

baforest

PostThu Dec 13, 2012 4:25 am

Tom wrote:My realistic side of the brain is telling me this:

Dude... It's almost 12/21/12... It is the end of the world, lol.
Bruce Forest
Ordered: Sept. 7, 2012

Return to Cinematography