Using Leica WATE 16/18/21mm on BMCC?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

lbh

Using Leica WATE 16/18/21mm on BMCC?

PostThu Dec 13, 2012 6:43 pm

I'm thinking about investing in a Leica Tri-Elmar 16-18-21mm f/4 for both my M8 and also possibly using it on BMCC as well. It seems like it offers great options for focal lengths for BMCC. But any advices for using it on BMCC as a cinema lens? I'm not a pro so I really would appreciate any advice. :)

Georgeddiaz

Re: Using Leica WATE 16/18/21mm on BMCC?

PostThu Dec 13, 2012 7:35 pm

There are a couple of things to consider before purchasing Leica glass for the Blackmagic Design Cinema Camera.

1st. Which mount version of the camera are you going to get?
2nd. Remember that the cropping factor of each camera is significantly different and that will in turn affect the way each camera perceives the lens.

I own a 50mm Leica Summicron f/2, and have placed an order for the BDCC with the M43 mount as I am comfortable with the flange distance, and adapters available. Also, since Leica glass is manually operated, the fact that it's passive doesn't change anything for me.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/7 ... Leica.html

I hope this helped, and I was wondering what other Leica lenses do you own?

lbh

PostThu Dec 13, 2012 9:35 pm

Georgeddiaz wrote:There are a couple of things to consider before purchasing Leica glass for the Blackmagic Design Cinema Camera.

1st. Which mount version of the camera are you going to get?
2nd. Remember that the cropping factor of each camera is significantly different and that will in turn affect the way each camera perceives the lens.

I own a 50mm Leica Summicron f/2, and have placed an order for the BDCC with the M43 mount as I am comfortable with the flange distance, and adapters available. Also, since Leica glass is manually operated, the fact that it's passive doesn't change anything for me.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/7 ... Leica.html

I hope this helped, and I was wondering what other Leica lenses do you own?

Thanks George,
I ordered the m4/3 version. I am considering the lens because the convenience of multiple focal length that would render nicely with BMCC's crop factor. I do not have many lenses as I am not a professional, I have little knowledge of cinematography, I am learning cinematography because I am directing and would like more control over the camera. My main concern is the low f stop(f/4), and I'm not sure how that is going to affect me in the creative aspects.

Joaquin Torrents

PostThu Dec 13, 2012 10:06 pm

I have also a Leica M8 and a TriElmar wate, between other Leica lenses. I've use them regularly on a Panasonic AF100 m43 camera. The lenses are outstanding, but difficult to operate due to the focus tab (imposible to use a follow focus)
Joaquin Torrents

Georgeddiaz

PostThu Dec 13, 2012 10:22 pm

lbh wrote:
Thanks George,
I ordered the m4/3 version. I am considering the lens because the convenience of multiple focal length that would render nicely with BMCC's crop factor. I do not have many lenses as I am not a professional, I have little knowledge of cinematography, I am learning cinematography because I am directing and would like more control over the camera. My main concern is the low f stop(f/4), and I'm not sure how that is going to affect me in the creative aspects.

Hello again,

There are a few things you should think about before investing in a great lens like that. Understand that if you wish to buy this lens nothing I or anyone can say will disuade you, but you should know that this, "Leica Tri-Elmar 16/18/21mm" is not a beginner lens. A quote from a fellow buyer from B&H, "This is not a lens for every day use, nor should it be one of the first Leica M lenses that you buy. However, it does have some very good applications." I have had the chance before to use one and let me say that like all Leica Lenses, it is superb. But definitely not for an over-all usage.

Back on track though, what is it about the low f-stop that concerns you? Of course this lens won't be good in low light, but that is not what it was designed for. Unless you'll be shooting a lot of landscapes and nature shots, which this lens is meant for, then I suggest looking into a different one.

What are your needs when shooting? Close-Ups? Wides? Mediums? Long-shots? The lens you get depends on what your needs are.

lbh

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 12:53 am

jtorrents wrote:I have also a Leica M8 and a TriElmar wate, between other Leica lenses. I've use them regularly on a Panasonic AF100 m43 camera. The lenses are outstanding, but difficult to operate due to the focus tab (imposible to use a follow focus)

thanks Joaquin! Its really helpful to know that it is not compatible with a follow focus! That will be a problem to use as a cinematic lens on BMCC.

lbh

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 1:03 am

Georgeddiaz wrote:
lbh wrote:
Thanks George,

Hello again,

There are a few things you should think about before investing in a great lens like that. Understand that if you wish to buy this lens nothing I or anyone can say will disuade you, but you should know that this, "Leica Tri-Elmar 16/18/21mm" is not a beginner lens. A quote from a fellow buyer from B&H, "This is not a lens for every day use, nor should it be one of the first Leica M lenses that you buy. However, it does have some very good applications." I have had the chance before to use one and let me say that like all Leica Lenses, it is superb. But definitely not for an over-all usage.

Back on track though, what is it about the low f-stop that concerns you? Of course this lens won't be good in low light, but that is not what it was designed for. Unless you'll be shooting a lot of landscapes and nature shots, which this lens is meant for, then I suggest looking into a different one.

What are your needs when shooting? Close-Ups? Wides? Mediums? Long-shots? The lens you get depends on what your needs are.

I was thinking about mostly medium to long shots of both interior and exterior. For close-up shots I was think gonna use Voigtlander 17.5mm f/0.95.
There are lots of interior scenes in my project(set in a train) and it seems that with three wide focal length it would be really convenient for medium shots to set up. However,
1. I do not want to set up more light just for the lens
2. as I understand the low f stop also means limited depth of field for creative purpose.
3. as Joaquin mentioned it does not work with a follow focus.

adamroberts

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 1:18 am

f4 is totally usable even in lowish light. Here is an example: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3326

You won't get very shallow DOF unless you subject is pretty close to you.

Not sure a follow focus is an absolute requirement. It's useful for rack focusing but you can manage most other shots without a follow focus just fine.

Have you considered the Tokina 11-16 f2.8 or the Canon 17-55 f2.8?

adamroberts

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 1:23 am

You could possibly fit one of these follow focus rings to the Leica Tri-Elmar and other Leica lenses as the focus tab would not get in the way:
http://ginirigs.com/lens-gear/

lbh

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 3:11 am

adamroberts wrote:You could possibly fit one of these follow focus rings to the Leica Tri-Elmar and other Leica lenses as the focus tab would not get in the way:
http://ginirigs.com/lens-gear/

Thanks a lot, these are really helpful!
Tokina 11-16 f2.8 is great but I ordered the M4/3 mount anyways so If I get Leica lenses I can use it on my M8 too. However I might get that Tokina zoom in the end anyways, throw in an adapter and use it for wide shots.

Georgeddiaz

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 4:51 am

lbh wrote:I was thinking about mostly medium to long shots of both interior and exterior. For close-up shots I was think gonna use Voigtlander 17.5mm f/0.95.
There are lots of interior scenes in my project(set in a train) and it seems that with three wide focal length it would be really convenient for medium shots to set up. However,
1. I do not want to set up more light just for the lens
2. as I understand the low f stop also means limited depth of field for creative purpose.
3. as Joaquin mentioned it does not work with a follow focus.

As adamroberts said about the DOF, he is correct. As well as his statement about the follow focus.
I would not recommend those ginirigs though as they are not designed for the leica lenses. And are meant for the more rugged and bulky slr lenses.

IBH please remember that the leica lenses are meant to be used for rangefinder photography which is all about composing your shot and taking your time. Depending on your script, this will obviously change with the cinematography and other factors. Also know that the Voitglander you are planning on getting; the 0.95 lens, is a wide as well.

I understand the desire to get a lens that can work on both your Leica and BDCC, but remember they are both very different art forms thus the glass is designed for different purposes.

I do recommend the Voitglander as I myself am purchasing one. Good for wides, low light and has gotten great reviews.

lbh

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 12:19 am

Georgeddiaz wrote:
As adamroberts said about the DOF, he is correct. As well as his statement about the follow focus.
I would not recommend those ginirigs though as they are not designed for the leica lenses. And are meant for the more rugged and bulky slr lenses.

IBH please remember that the leica lenses are meant to be used for rangefinder photography which is all about composing your shot and taking your time. Depending on your script, this will obviously change with the cinematography and other factors. Also know that the Voitglander you are planning on getting; the 0.95 lens, is a wide as well.

I understand the desire to get a lens that can work on both your Leica and BDCC, but remember they are both very different art forms thus the glass is designed for different purposes.

I do recommend the Voitglander as I myself am purchasing one. Good for wides, low light and has gotten great reviews.

thanks a lot George, thats really helpful.

Return to Cinematography