Camera Shipping Update: 12/14

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Darryl Gregory

Re: Camera Shipping Update: 12/14

PostTue Jan 01, 2013 2:14 am

Nick Bedford wrote:I'd be surprised if Blackmagic Design announced any next version of the camera. They've barely managed to scrape through this release and are still months behind schedule.

Nick I think Dave Dominguez wanted a update about shipping, I could be wrong since this thread has transformed to a V2 of the BMCC. :roll:

Studiotech

PostWed Jan 02, 2013 10:08 am

Dear Grant!
Do you have information about the delivery? Our order (BMD Cinema Camera EF) has placed in September.
Thank you!

Xtreemtec

PostWed Jan 02, 2013 12:57 pm

Is there anyone in here from the Netherlands that have a camera on Backorder?

I have a GIG halfway in May (18-19 may) and was wondering what it would cost to hire the cam?

It will be used in a 8 meter video crane. Need to make a offer to my costumer this week.

Otherwise i have to rent a RED. (too expensive to hire 500+ a day)

So if you are dutch and will rent it out for a festival. PM me.

Thanks Daniel Wittenaar
Xtreemtec Media Productions
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

gerardelmore

PostWed Jan 02, 2013 11:24 pm

Well, looks like the cameras are indeed shipping. Got a notice from B&H that ours is coming.

Ordered it on the 21st of April.

So, I hope that gives some hope that more are on the way.

Looking forward to using it here in Hawaii!

billmanolios

PostThu Jan 03, 2013 12:23 am

It's good to hear from a B&H buyer. Thanks for following up and have fun with it.

Alex Tissot

PostThu Jan 03, 2013 1:30 pm

gerardelmore wrote:Well, looks like the cameras are indeed shipping. Got a notice from B&H that ours is coming.

Ordered it on the 21st of April.

So, I hope that gives some hope that more are on the way.

Looking forward to using it here in Hawaii!

Lucky you are!

I Ordered it on the 25st of April 2012

But early in January 2013...Always No camera and No news from BM to the German BM Distributor!!!!!!!

Grant, thanks for clean explication of your project in Europe...
https://vimeo.com/user5198817

danallen82

PostThu Jan 03, 2013 4:22 pm

I've come to accept that there is no hope of getting the camera anytime soon. I ordered the EF in November 2012, so at best I'm getting it mid Q2. NAB 2013 might have even more affordable 2k+ RAW cameras.

Keep up the hard work BMD, please exceed my prediction.

rune

PostThu Jan 03, 2013 8:36 pm

I ordered my camera on 6.12.12 and below is the 12th "update" email from B&H...

One or more items from this purchase are still out of stock as we haven't
yet received the merchandise from our supplier. We are sorry for any
inconvenience this may have caused. We will keep you posted periodically.

We appreciate your patience and patronage. Feel free to contact us with any
questions or comments about this order.

Thank you.

B&H Photo-Video
http://www.BandH.com

Rob Burgos

PostThu Jan 03, 2013 8:43 pm

I got the same email this morning.
Rob Burgos
colorist/editor/producer
full circle post nyc

Nick Bedford

PostThu Jan 03, 2013 9:30 pm

I ordered May 30th 2012 and it appears that mostly April preorders are still being shipped :(
Nick Bedford, Photographer
http://www.nickbedford.com/

Grégory Weisert

PostThu Jan 03, 2013 9:59 pm

it seems to me that mid july preorders are late preorders... ....

Danny Kim

PostFri Jan 04, 2013 12:07 am

I had pre-ordered the Cinema Camera back in April/May with BH Camera. I had hoped to get the camera before my sister's wedding, but waited in vain. I had hoped to get the camera before a music video shoot, but waited in vain. I had told all my colleagues that I'd be doing test shoots in LA last fall/winter, but waited in vain. Around November when Red announced the $4000 "battle-hardened" Red One, I cancelled my pre-order.

I think the day that Black Magic announced the Micro 4/3 Cinema Camera while almost nobody received the first EF model was the most disheartening of all. Now I'm just going to wait until NAB in April and see what else is out there. Maybe if Black Magic creates a modular battery solution, I will re-consider BMCC, but I've waited too long for them to get their act together while my projects are languishing.

Tom

PostFri Jan 04, 2013 1:15 am

Nick Bedford wrote:I ordered May 30th 2012 and it appears that mostly April preorders are still being shipped :(

one of the major UK reseller is still yet to receive cameras for people who preordered on day 1, let alone the rest of april.

I ordered on the 24th april and am number 43.

Apparently this reseller as of yesterday has still yet to receive any notification of incoming cameras.

Clearly cameras are shipping again, but I suspect that even those who ordered fairly quickly still have a significant amount of time to wait.
Tom Majerski
Colourist at Tracks and Layers
http://www.Tracksandlayers.com
Motion Graphics - Colour Grading - VFX

bhook

PostFri Jan 04, 2013 1:20 am

We're back to the same old tired conundrum: If we don't know how many BMCs are shipping, how fast they are being made and how many preorders are out there, then we are not equipped with the data we need to "know" anything. A leopard does not change its spots.

Taikonaut

PostFri Jan 04, 2013 3:04 am

There is a few you can count in one hand that was shipped in the past week. While it represent a high by BMC standard people has misinterprete it as a floodgate. Reality are production have not even started. For 99% of people you are just unlikely to get your camera now than you were back in July.

Nick Bedford

PostFri Jan 04, 2013 3:24 am

Remember that we only know of shipped orders from those who post on these forums.

Taikonaut, I don't know exactly why you say, "production hasn't even started", when it has. You might say it's now on severe back order now that production technically has started, in whatever capacity it has.
Nick Bedford, Photographer
http://www.nickbedford.com/

Mike Halerz

PostFri Jan 04, 2013 5:35 am

Just got confirmation that my early May order from Adorama is showing up on Monday. Looking forward to running some tests early in the week to see if I'll be able to use it on the shoot that was already planned for later in the week.

PaulDelVecchio

PostFri Jan 04, 2013 6:31 am

Mike Halerz wrote:Just got confirmation that my early May order from Adorama is showing up on Monday. Looking forward to running some tests early in the week to see if I'll be able to use it on the shoot that was already planned for later in the week.

Early May order at Adorama. Cool. I was early May somewhere else. Hopefully mine comes soon.
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv

John Richard

PostFri Jan 04, 2013 3:35 pm

We ordered April 23 from B&H and still getting the "backordered" emails from B&H that we have gotten for months on end.

An inquiry resulted in the repetition about the sensor problems that we all know about - nothing new or valuable.

mameboy44

PostFri Jan 04, 2013 7:02 pm

I ordered my BMCC early April from CVP in UK and have (like us all) been waiting patiently for news from BMD and CVP. The closest I have come to a BMCC so far has been an intro and teach-in by CVP about BMCC and DaVinci at the end of last year.
Today (4th) I spoke with CVP and was advised that they routinely receive no advice from BMD re shipment schedules but received their cameras #2 and #3 this week - their first customer cameras outside of their demo unit!!
Whilst Grant Petty has told us that he will update the production situation in early January, I don't think anyone has any idea what BMD's total production capacity is, nor how their QC procedures have been affected by the sensor problems encountered. If it's anything like a worthwhile QC system, you can bet that it's been tweaked a few notches to the side of caution (paranoia?) after all that's gone before.
This will no doubt affect their desire to ramp up production to meet demand and cover back orders.
Bearing in mind that we are only at the end of the first week of 2013, I think we must also appreciate that any shipments currently in the pipeline from Oz may still be in the logistics chain until next week or beyond . . .
My bet is that if BMD have been able to get up to near their initial target production levels, we should start to see increasing numbers of order fulfilment over the next 2 months or so . . .
Until then, I will not be scheduling any work or committing to any shoots based on a camera that I have no clear committed delivery date on and that I have not had a chance to handle, rig-out or shoot with.
Although I understand and share everyone's enthusiasm, I would suggest everyone else stick to the best camera that they have to shoot with - the one that's in your hand now! After all, it's probably the one that earned it's keep (and some) to enable you to buy a BMCC anyway . . .
As an aside, I had a bet with a colleague that BMC would show up before the Panasonic GH3 - shows you what little I know!!

sean mclennan

PostFri Jan 04, 2013 7:25 pm

still can't get a GH3 right now....

I, for one, am happy that BM stopped production and sourced the issue rather than letting their users be the guinea pigs. It's doubtful that the issue they discovered would have been noticed by many of the people looking to purchase this camera. So they "could" have continued production and just dealt with the percentage of users who did noticed. We've seen this done by Canon/Nikon/Sony in the past with various products.

Frankly, I think they've done it right. They protected their customers and they reputation for making a great product. You can't say anything bad about the camera, just that you don't have it yet. =P

Hopefully, this time next year, this will be forgotten and everyone can go back to the staple of internet forums...new product rumours

Grégory Weisert

PostFri Jan 04, 2013 7:53 pm

i just cant stand it anymore :) maybe is should stop lookin in this forum every day and waiting till my reseller text me..

Albert N. Romero

PostFri Jan 04, 2013 8:46 pm

twelvetwelves wrote:i just cant stand it anymore :) maybe is should stop lookin in this forum every day and waiting till my reseller text me..

i said the same.. and i was back here 4 days later

Grégory Weisert

PostFri Jan 04, 2013 10:21 pm

i guess in germany we have to wait till mid feb.

popcornflix

PostSat Jan 05, 2013 7:04 am

I ordered on Day One and was #1 in line at my retailer. Changed to MFT on Day One following assurances that I could change order "without penalty" from BMD. Still #1 in line at my retailer.

Reading that BMD has MFT ready to go, but won't manufacture until later *feels* like a penalty. There are many customers like me who have been waiting since Day One, and are being told to wait even longer for the MFT. I hope BMD reconsiders and starts manufacturing MFT right away.

I've been really patient about the whole thing, but I must confess that this holiday week, I found myself looking at other cameras, in the event that BMD pushes back my MFT even further.

If BMD announced that they would manufacture MFTs ASAP, that would be enough to give me hope.

Albert N. Romero

PostSat Jan 05, 2013 12:06 pm

twelvetwelves wrote:i guess in germany we have to wait till mid feb.

As Merkel's austerity rules, no camera will be shipped to Europe :twisted:

AJ.infinite

PostSat Jan 05, 2013 3:55 pm

sean mclennan wrote:still can't get a GH3 right now....

Most people interested in the GH3, knew a slight delay could be the case, as its been the same way for GH1, and GH2. However I received my GH3 first week of December, so as far I'm concerned they were on time. ;)

Eric Santiago

PostSat Jan 05, 2013 5:36 pm

One was put for sale at the REDUSER site.
Im sure its sold by now.
Sale went up yesterday.

Tal Peled

PostSat Jan 05, 2013 11:36 pm

i sure hope bmd has went into serious mass production , i see from now and than people getting a camera here and there , but thats not enough , a confirmation that mass production has started would be nice :roll:
especially when im waiting for an mft version (ordered in may , switched at the mft anouncement)

Alex Tissot

PostSat Jan 05, 2013 11:57 pm

WE NEED UPDATE ON MONDAY!
With numbers of cameras already shipped and real informations of production for january!
Thanks

bhook

PostSun Jan 06, 2013 12:28 am

alexvideo23 wrote:WE NEED UPDATE ON MONDAY!
With numbers of cameras already shipped and real informations of production for january!
Thanks

Well, you're not likely to get that but I too would sure like to know what "mass production" means.

adamroberts

PostSun Jan 06, 2013 12:30 am

alexvideo23 wrote:WE NEED UPDATE ON MONDAY!
Thanks

They will never share numbers. They are a private company and that info on any of their products has never been shared.

They have said production is wrapping up and as we have just been through the festive season when most of Australia udon holiday the factory was probably closed for a bit.

Michael Sandiford

PostSun Jan 06, 2013 11:55 am

mhood wrote:
Well, you're not likely to get that but I too would sure like to know what "mass production" means.

mass production
Web definitions
the production of large quantities of a standardized article (often using assembly line techniques).
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn :D

Sorry. couldn't help myself.

bhook

PostSun Jan 06, 2013 12:59 pm

Michael Sandiford wrote:Sorry. couldn't help myself.

Large quantities? As compared to what...Small quantities? Is that the best Princeton could do? :D

Michael Sandiford

PostSun Jan 06, 2013 4:31 pm

mhood wrote:
Michael Sandiford wrote:Sorry. couldn't help myself.

Large quantities? As compared to what...Small quantities? Is that the best Princeton could do? :D

Well it is Princeton.

baforest

PostSun Jan 06, 2013 6:28 pm

popcornflix wrote:I ordered on Day One and was #1 in line at my retailer. Changed to MFT on Day One following assurances that I could change order "without penalty" from BMD. Still #1 in line at my retailer.

Reading that BMD has MFT ready to go, but won't manufacture until later *feels* like a penalty. There are many customers like me who have been waiting since Day One, and are being told to wait even longer for the MFT. I hope BMD reconsiders and starts manufacturing MFT right away.

I've been really patient about the whole thing, but I must confess that this holiday week, I found myself looking at other cameras, in the event that BMD pushes back my MFT even further.

If BMD announced that they would manufacture MFTs ASAP, that would be enough to give me hope.

The "without penalty" is with the company you ordered from, NOT BMD. Why can people not figure this out?
Bruce Forest
Ordered: Sept. 7, 2012

Mark de Jeu

PostMon Jan 07, 2013 12:51 am

baforest wrote:
popcornflix wrote:I ordered on Day One and was #1 in line at my retailer. Changed to MFT on Day One following assurances that I could change order "without penalty" from BMD. Still #1 in line at my retailer.

The "without penalty" is with the company you ordered from, NOT BMD. Why can people not figure this out?

And I always took "without penalty" to mean financial, not your place in line. Others seems to think it means place-in-line, so maybe I'm wrong.
Mark de Jeu
Video Enthusiast

Alex Tissot

PostMon Jan 07, 2013 9:55 am

UPDATE!!!
UPDATE!!!
UPDATE!!!

nichymontero

PostMon Jan 07, 2013 10:13 am

Please, let us know what´s going on with the production, deliverys or something.
Please, UPDATE!

Jarateng

PostMon Jan 07, 2013 2:13 pm

UPDATE NOW !!!
WE DESERVE TO KNOW !!!

Luke Armstrong

PostMon Jan 07, 2013 2:21 pm

They've already said there will be an update mid Jan...
Luke Armstrong - Digital Compositor
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4274789/

bhook

PostMon Jan 07, 2013 2:35 pm

Luke Armstrong wrote:They've already said there will be an update mid Jan...

When did "early January" become "mid January"? Not that it matters much but that was the commitment in the last update.

it might be a good idea if I post another update early January to update everyone on how production is progressing.

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks

PostMon Jan 07, 2013 3:26 pm

mhood wrote:
Luke Armstrong wrote:They've already said there will be an update mid Jan...

When did "early January" become "mid January"? Not that it matters much but that was the commitment in the last update.

it might be a good idea if I post another update early January to update everyone on how production is progressing.

Fairly sure there were two announcements mentioned for January, one for the EF shipping, and one for MFT, one was slated for early jan and the other was mid jan, I think it was EF then MFT as the MFT one was rather unsurprisingly linked to how well they were getting on with the shipping of EF orders.

Edit: in the next paragraph, an update about the MFT is implied.

bhook

PostMon Jan 07, 2013 3:51 pm

So we will ship as many as we can and then perhaps see where we are mid Jan and do a few MFT models then.

Do you see what they did there? It could be a commitment, but possibly it isn't.

;)

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks

PostMon Jan 07, 2013 4:22 pm

mhood wrote:
So we will ship as many as we can and then perhaps see where we are mid Jan and do a few MFT models then.

Do you see what they did there? It could be a commitment, but possibly it isn't.

;)

Indeed, they are learning to word things so as not to commit themselves to timescales they might later need to change. Will take some of the sting out of the outrage when they miss a deadline or someone's own perceived version of it.

For example what's early in a month, personally I'd go with up to and including the 10th but not start accusing other people of missing things till after the 15th. Mid I'd go with 10th to the 20th and late sort of the reverse of early (so 20th till end of month, but not early unless it was before 16th.

bhook

PostMon Jan 07, 2013 4:46 pm

Personally, I find evasive communications demeaning and insulting...but that's probably just me. BMD has been using "grey speak" for quite a while now.

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks

PostMon Jan 07, 2013 5:43 pm

mhood wrote:Personally, I find evasive communications demeaning and insulting...but that's probably just me. BMD has been using "grey speak" for quite a while now.

I know of no company that doesn't use it somewhere. Hell there would be a massive amount less fuss over this if BMD hadn't given precise dates over the summer.

Being vague about dates you don't know is sensible. It's far less demeaning and insulting than continuously giving precise dates and then missing them. Even if you give the dates in good faith believing you will make them, it will create bad blood between you and your customers quick.

JerryBruck

PostMon Jan 07, 2013 5:46 pm

Agree with mhood. This has been unworthy for quite some time. Such a smart company, such marvelous software, side by side with This. "The great enemy of clear language is insincerity." -- George Orwell, Politics and the English Language.

Jarateng

PostMon Jan 07, 2013 5:52 pm

Truth be told ... BMD needs to give a comprehensive update NOWWWW !

Seaborn

PostMon Jan 07, 2013 5:58 pm

Here the answer from my dealer in Montreal, Québec, Canada
"20 caméras avaient été reçu chez le distributeur le 20 décembre pour l'Amérique du Nord"
i'll translate : 20 bmc received on 20 december at the distributor for North America!
Seaborn studio
https://www.studioseaborn.com
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography