Camera Shipping Update: 12/14

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Thomas Schumacher

Re: Camera Shipping Update: 12/14

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 7:55 am

Thanks for the update. Good luck with "mass" poduction!
https://www.gernemehrfilm.de/

Lorenzo Straight

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 7:59 am

Thanks for the update. May I suggest to the webmaster to update the BMD site to reflect these changes. The cameras are obviously not shipping yet, so changing the shipping date would be wise. The MFT model is not shipping in December.
MSI GS60 Ghost Pro-4K-605-2.7 GHz Intel Core i7-5700HQ (Broadwell)-16GB of 1600 MHz DDR3L RAM-1TB 7200 rpm HDD + 128GB M.2 SSD-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M GPU (6GB GDDR5)-15.6" UHD + 4K IPS Display-3840 x 2160
-Windows 8.1

Margus Voll

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 8:55 am

>It is sure a relief seeing this problem coming to a close. I cannot believe this happened and it's been an >incredibly frustrating delay. However I am feeling really positive now.

Thank You for the great news.

I think it is all worth to wait!
Margus Voll, CSI

http://www.iconstudios.eu
margus (at) iconstudios.eu
IG: margusvoll

daniel ltr7

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 8:57 am

MFT news are bad...
I just switched my eos order to mft as december was aproacing, and I guessed it wouldn't be a big problem to produce them side by side, and ship together, but MAYBE produce some by mid january sounds bad.
I had ordered my camera in may and payed in july...

Then what I really need is the included davinci, camera will become backupcamera anyway, now that I had the chance to try one and rolling shutter showed to be very heavy... (i generally love to do handheld, so this is an issue)

...maybe yust cancel order, ask money back and buy da-vinci only... (yesterday speedgrade arrived, so maybe I don't need even davinci...)

Margus Voll

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 9:13 am

mft news was foreseeable.

no news there i think.
Margus Voll, CSI

http://www.iconstudios.eu
margus (at) iconstudios.eu
IG: margusvoll

Alex Tissot

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 9:25 am

Thanks GrANtDALF :-)

Now communicate with your dealer, the first quantity you will be able to ship in the next weeks in order to save time...
https://vimeo.com/user5198817

John Brawley

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 9:55 am

daniel ltr7 wrote:
Then what I really need is the included davinci, camera will become backupcamera anyway,

Perhaps you don't need the camera Daniel.

There are only a few very small differences between the free version of Resolve and the full version. Most relevant are....

1. 3D support
2. Greater than 1920 Output (you can still use larger than 1920 source footage and it will automatically be scaled)
3. Noise reduction. - there are several good after market solutions like Neat Video if noise reduction is important to you...

Other than that Resolve lite is Identical in every way to the full version.

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Taikonaut

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 10:09 am

Christian Schmeer wrote:
Taikonaut wrote:"No Penalty"

Was this "No Penalty" agreement with BMD or your reseller?

BMD worked with resellers to issue "no penalty" to people who switched.

It is funny how I got a warning from this forum. If I can issue my own warnings BMD and Grant would have accumalated a hat full for broken promises alone.

Carlos Delilah

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 10:26 am

"there is little point building any of the MFT model."

I can think of a few points to be honest...

Jesuan Soriano

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 11:25 am

Costa Louvieris wrote:Guys don't get your hopes up... remember when Grant said almost the exact same thing a while back and it still went to crap with the sensors going into production and the failing again.

He now says no update until January and I'm sorry but what kind of manufacturer doesn't have facility to know how many sensors and/or cameras they can build? It just seems .... off to me!

I will get backlash but this is just my opinion... sorry I can't help the way I feel.

You are my hero, I also thanked him as he at least has fulfilled a promise. But they really need to work hard to earn again. But you know what it seems??? It seems like they announced the camera, and then they thought "Hey dudes let's wait until july to test the sensors and start mass production " Because all this thing couldn't be done while they thought about making a camera?? they say it's been years of work...well I can not see it anywhere, they''ve had more than months to test correctly the sensors. I know building a camera it's not like blinking...but come on.....

I don't know BMD from the inside but I'm curious to see why is everything so cahotic.

JEsus
Jesus Soriano

neil_jd

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 11:51 am

I don't usually weigh in on discussions but I just want to say (being someone who changed their pre-order from the EF Mount to the MFT model) that Grants specific wording on the status of the MFT model was very poor.

I completely understand what he's saying, the announced the EF first, it has a larger back order and people have been waiting far longer for that model, fine, just word your updates a little better than citing "little point" in producing a product you've opened up to pre-order! It inspires little confidence in those who have chosen your product and THAT is incredibly bad for a business deals with supplying a product to the public.

To clarify, I'm not one of the moaners on here, the update is signifies that things are moving forwards and I have every faith in Black Magic and their ability AND I will happily wait for my camera to arrive.

Maybe Grant needs a publicity person to check over things before he posts them though.

Christian Schmeer

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 3:34 pm

Well, if BMD really did set up "no penalty" agreements with switchers, I can only imagine they will honour them as soon as the MFT version becomes available (as in EF to MFT switchers will be the very first in line to get the MFT model). I think it's clear though why BMD chose to start with the production of the EF model first. It came first, the delay was huge, and in a way it's their "crowd-pleaser" product.
Last edited by Christian Schmeer on Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

baforest

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 3:38 pm

Christian Schmeer wrote:Well, if BMD really did set up "no penalty" agreements for switchers, I can only imagine they will honour them as soon as the MFT version becomes available (as in EF to MFT switchers will be the very first in line to get the MFT model).

That would still actually be an agreement between the buyer and seller. That's still outside the confines of BMD business. Unless BMD were to say "We will build MFT mount cameras for those that had preordered the EF mount camera and switched then we will ignore that model until all other preorders have been filled for EF model." This is not happening. Any "no penalty" would be strictly between the buyer and seller in an agreement made away from the confines of the manufacturer.
Bruce Forest
Ordered: Sept. 7, 2012

Christian Schmeer

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 3:46 pm

baforest wrote:That would still actually be an agreement between the buyer and seller. That's still outside the confines of BMD business. Unless BMD were to say "We will build MFT mount cameras for those that had preordered the EF mount camera and switched then we will ignore that model until all other preorders have been filled for EF model." This is not happening. Any "no penalty" would be strictly between the buyer and seller in an agreement made away from the confines of the manufacturer.

I agree that it sounds more like an agreement made on the reseller-side. That's what I don't understand: people seem to be sure it was an agreement with both the seller and BMD, but somehow it sounds to me like something BMD couldn't possibly organise. They will most likely ship out larger batches from now on and the resellers will have to make the decision on how to distribute the cameras in a fair way (e.g. honouring the "no penalty")
www.christianschmeer.com

baforest

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 4:15 pm

I very much agree, Christian. BMD has had their hands full since shipping was supposed to start. Oh well. If cameras would have shipped on time many people complaining about the MFT would be complaining about not knowing about it sooner cuz now they wasted their money on the EF mount. With people that like to complain, there's no winning because that is all they wish to do.

I posted something in another forum about people complaining within a day of an update and some debated me... It's been a matter of 16-ish hours and how many complainers do we have already?
Bruce Forest

Christian Schmeer

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 4:42 pm

Either way, it's great that this was finally a positive update. If things go smoothly, we'll have our cameras soon, both EF and MFT. I just hope that BMD is able to ramp up to large quantities now. I realise it's almost Christmas / New Year, so whatever BMD can do to get the cameras out the door, I will appreciate.

Personally, I will need to receive my camera within January (ideally), early February at the latest, otherwise I won't be able to afford it (my purchase is partially budgeted) and I'll have to get a refund and resort to using my 5D Mark III for the project. The ability to shoot RAW will make a huge difference. My Christmas wish: BMD, make it happen! :)
Last edited by Christian Schmeer on Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.christianschmeer.com

c.carlos.n

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 5:25 pm

would it be acceptable to all, let's keep track of who is getting the new cameras. this way we can determine how many are being produced and how much unto the preorder list we are. So, everyone who get's a camera put in this thread, when they get the camera and when they preordered...
Carlos E Núñez

Bill Rich

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 5:42 pm

I'm just happy the cameras are moving into production again! :mrgreen:
Bill Rich
PhotoJournalist/Editor/Producer
Los Angeles, California

Jason R. Johnston

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 6:00 pm

baforest wrote:I posted something in another forum about people complaining within a day of an update and some debated me... It's been a matter of 16-ish hours and how many complainers do we have already?

I've been saying it forever. You were debated on that point when you brought it up? Probably by the complainers, too. I just have tenure...and I've blocked people. :D

But seriously, this is all by-the-numbers for this forum. It goes like this: the complainers yell and scream for updates; BMD gives an update; the complainers find something about the update they don't like and go back to complaining. All this does is anger the ones who are trying to remain calm; like me. We visit the forum looking for actual camera talk and all we see are a bunch of whiny prosumers who've never had to wait for a camera manufacturer before.

The first cut is the deepest.

Me and a few others get on the nerves of the complainers because we're not worried about it. Sure, we'd reallyreallyreally like to have the camera, but we'd also rather the manufacturer take their time and get it right. Yes, it sucks that there were problems in the process, and no matter whose fault it is, it happened, it's complicated, but things seem to be clearing up. Because we don't huff around unrealistically at the manufacturer, we get called "apologists" like we're on their payroll, or something. Early Christian writers who defended their faith against critics and recommended their faith to outsiders were called apologists. I guess I'm apologizing right now. I don't care. I have most of the complainers blocked, anyway (there's really only 4 ring leaders and if you block them, the forum seems to calm down).

So, January. We'll see how well things are going in January. If they hadn't shipped around 800-1000 units by the next update, I'll actually be a little shocked. BMD is a big company and I like that most of us have no idea how big it really is. Did you see the size of their booth at NAB? Wow.
JASONRJOHNSTON.COM | CINEMATOGRAPHER | DIRECTOR | EDITOR | COLORIST
RED Komodo | DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5 | 2023 MacBook M2 Pro 14

Joe Gonzalez

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 7:00 pm

Thanks for the update Grant. This is good news.
Yes Jonathan " are a bunch of whiny prosumers who've never had to wait for a camera manufacturer before." these are just noobs to the process, i don't even worry about the whiners anymore. Most of these impatient whiners are just trying to get the new toy on the block, and in some twisted way think it will make them great cinematographers.
Last edited by Joe Gonzalez on Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Gonzalez - Filmmaker/Photographer/Editor
www.thenewcinematographers.com

brilliantimage

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 7:02 pm

Jason R. Johnston, heavens forbid if someone disagrees with you! Like you have your STRONG option on issues, so is everyone else. The trick is learning the balance and being able to listen to others who disagree with you. Calling people amateurs is not really helpful especially when you really don't know people very well. I respect your views and I also respect those who have a legitimate opposition point of view. Tyranny is created by those who make their way or no way kind of argument. I'm not perfect nor good with words but I hope someone gets the point I'm trying to make, no matter which side of the fence you are seating on.

It is my own option just like some here; we have heard all kinds of updates and they all sound similar. So far the outcome has been close to the same, hence making some individuals skeptic. I know the camera will eventually come but that does not mean someone wouldn't like it to come sooner for whatever reason they may have. It may be a want to you yet a need to others depending on the situation at the time one find him/herself into.

PEACE
Julius Barnabas

Dave Dominguez

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 7:50 pm

Jason R. Johnston wrote:
baforest wrote:I posted something in another forum about people complaining within a day of an update and some debated me... It's been a matter of 16-ish hours and how many complainers do we have already?

I've been saying it forever. You were debated on that point when you brought it up? Probably by the complainers, too. I just have tenure...and I've blocked people. :D

But seriously, this is all by-the-numbers for this forum. It goes like this: the complainers yell and scream for updates; BMD gives an update; the complainers find something about the update they don't like and go back to complaining. All this does is anger the ones who are trying to remain calm; like me. We visit the forum looking for actual camera talk and all we see are a bunch of whiny prosumers who've never had to wait for a camera manufacturer before.

The first cut is the deepest.

Me and a few others get on the nerves of the complainers because we're not worried about it. Sure, we'd reallyreallyreally like to have the camera, but we'd also rather the manufacturer take their time and get it right. Yes, it sucks that there were problems in the process, and no matter whose fault it is, it happened, it's complicated, but things seem to be clearing up. Because we don't huff around unrealistically at the manufacturer, we get called "apologists" like we're on their payroll, or something. Early Christian writers who defended their faith against critics and recommended their faith to outsiders were called apologists. I guess I'm apologizing right now. I don't care. I have most of the complainers blocked, anyway (there's really only 4 ring leaders and if you block them, the forum seems to calm down).

So, January. We'll see how well things are going in January. If they hadn't shipped around 800-1000 units by the next update, I'll actually be a little shocked. BMD is a big company and I like that most of us have no idea how big it really is. Did you see the size of their booth at NAB? Wow.

all you do is complain about complainers.
get over yourself, man.
https://vimeo.com/daviddominguez

Jesuan Soriano

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 8:53 pm

Joe_g wrote:Thanks for the update Grant. This is good news.
Yes Jonathan " are a bunch of whiny prosumers who've never had to wait for a camera manufacturer before." these are just noobs to the process, i don't even worry about the whiners anymore. Most of these impatient whiners are just trying to get the new toy on the block, and in some twisted way think it will make them great cinematographers.

mmm..people complaining here.....i understand you don't like people complaining...but not for that you should call them noobs.

Jesus
Jesus Soriano

baforest

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 9:34 pm

All I can really say here right now is that I made my decision that DSLR is not going to be my primary for any big project anymore. There are too many limitations to those cameras and I know what they are cuz I just live with it. Now I can move past that and into something better. I quietly watched the complainers and apologists and everyone in the middle. I actually laugh at many things being complained about and just move on.

Some of you also need this:
Bruce Forest

ImperatorMher

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 10:18 pm

[b][size=200][size=50]when BMCC will become FULL FRAME 35mm and will shot FULL 4k resolution,???????
P.S. - i will be glad if it become 70mm Like Panavision film cameras
[/size][/size][/b]

Christian Schmeer

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 11:09 pm

ImperatorMher wrote:[b][size=200][size=50]when BMCC will become FULL FRAME 35mm and will shot FULL 4k resolution,???????
P.S. - i will be glad if it become 70mm Like Panavision film cameras
[/size][/size][/b]

Not for a long long time.
www.christianschmeer.com

Abobakr M. Alshiblie

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 11:51 pm

Christian Schmeer wrote:
Not for a long long time.

It could happen anytime and could appear out of a thin air.. and if asked how, would always say "well, i don't know how!! It is Grant Petty! It is MAGIC!!!!" =D

Eric Santiago

PostSun Dec 16, 2012 12:52 am

Jason R. Johnston wrote:Did you see the size of their booth at NAB? Wow.

Hmm its not about the size...

Haha I couldnt resist ;)

Darryl Gregory

PostSun Dec 16, 2012 2:58 am

@Grant Petty
Great news Grant I did hear this from Rule Boston Camera
"Making Blackmagic (Cinema Camera) Work for You on 12.12.12"
on vimeo Thanks Rule!

I know this is going to irritate you, But I just ordered mine yesterday from Adorama
It was in my cart for 2 days, But yesterday I pulled the trigger, and Guess what?...
Yup it said back ordered, my fault, but I need to know a date because I have already signed on for a Gig using this camera.

Any help would be appreciated.

10s

PostSun Dec 16, 2012 3:29 am

Good news! I'm glad production is starting to move along once again. What a battle! Doing it right is the only sane alternative for everyone, so we'll just have to wait it out. Of course, it's not too fun, but that's reality. Until then, I have time to write, plan, storyboard and location scouting. In fact, even if I had the camera in my hands right now...I'm still not ready to shoot. Time to prepare.

Spring will be nice this next year!

baforest

PostSun Dec 16, 2012 4:12 am

Darryl Gregory wrote:I know this is going to irritate you, But I just ordered mine yesterday from Adorama
It was in my cart for 2 days, But yesterday I pulled the trigger, and Guess what?...
Yup it said back ordered, my fault, but I need to know a date because I have already signed on for a Gig using this camera.

Best I can tell ya... Don't lay your money down on something that is to be backordered for a job. Some people have apparently done that and then the problem came forth. They were then hurting on the job and are still waiting on the camera (unless they canceled since).
Bruce Forest

Darryl Gregory

PostSun Dec 16, 2012 5:48 am

I'm Sorry Bruce..But who are you?
Do you work for Blackmagicdesign?

I appreciate your advice as a member here,
but please try not to answer other members questions unless you have authority and or knowledge to answer with some clarity, it only confuses members, but also makes getting the right answers useless.

FYI: If you are talented in any form of the word, please excuse my ignorance, and PM me with your details, as I am truly a collaborative soul. 8-)

Thank you.

Dave Dominguez

PostSun Dec 16, 2012 6:05 am

Darryl Gregory wrote:@Grant Petty
Great news Grant I did hear this from Rule Boston Camera
"Making Blackmagic (Cinema Camera) Work for You on 12.12.12"
on vimeo Thanks Rule!

I know this is going to irritate you, But I just ordered mine yesterday from Adorama

Any help would be appreciated.

you're gonna be waiting a long time.
https://vimeo.com/daviddominguez

Andy Fordham

PostSun Dec 16, 2012 6:32 am

Darryl Gregory wrote:I'm Sorry Bruce..But who are you?

but please try not to answer other members questions unless you have authority and or knowledge to answer with some clarity, it only confuses members, but also makes getting the right answers useless.

FYI: If you are talented in any form of the word, please excuse my ignorance, and PM me with your details, as I am truly a collaborative soul. 8-)

Thank you.

God, why are people just rude on this forum. ? I can't believe some comments.

If you know a camera is new and in development, don't lay all your bets and future work on a camera that you can not guarantee will be on hand to use. Its just Simple logic !
Pre-ordering any product is a gamble.

If you know its coming but possibly be delayed, don'y buy it if you are then shouting about a delivery date. If a delivery date doesn't matter and you don't mind a wait, go ahead.

When it is in a distributor stock and In stock avail for next day delivery, that's the time to order.

Otherwise, go make pictures with any other readily available camera.

Stop the whining ! It makes you sound like amateurs.
Kent, UK.
www.andyfordham.net
C300, BMCC,

Costa Louvieris

PostSun Dec 16, 2012 8:05 am

Thank you.

Sorry but please don't be so rude. Bruce is 100% right and we are all just here trying to help. And what on earth does his talent have to do with what he said?

Thomas Schumacher

PostSun Dec 16, 2012 9:45 am

Costa Louvieris wrote:
Darryl Gregory wrote:
Sorry but please don't be so rude. Bruce is 100% right and we are all just here trying to help. And what on earth does his talent have to do with what he said?

I guess, I'm not a native English speaker, talented means something in the vein of being authorised by BM or in business with them, so he could have more detailed knowledge about things than the rest of us so well-informed bunch of waiting "amateurs" ;-)

Otherwise his words wouldn't make sense beyond insulting - as much sense as it makes to order something for a shoot on a schedule as long as it is not available. Some still think money can buy everything...
Last edited by Thomas Schumacher on Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.gernemehrfilm.de/

daniel ltr7

PostSun Dec 16, 2012 9:46 am

Will need Full version (unless speedgrade proves to be up to it)

With Ikonoskop I have only cinemaDNG raw, so full gpu support will be needed.

We also shoot 4K with red, so HD will not be enough, especially if someone should want to rent the gradingstation.
Right now we grade with Color, and I do cinemaDNG with Aftereffects (time allowing as it is very slow).

baforest

PostSun Dec 16, 2012 11:25 am

Although I appreciate your concern, but if you actually pay attention to what I had said, you would know that it does not take a rocket scientist to be able to give that answer that I did. He bought a still incomplete camera for a project. What is he going to do if something else happens to come up? He'll now be unprepared for the production he is getting the camera for.

As for my talent, I'm still emerging. I've done camera work on several productions. Currently, I've got a couple small school projects, 48 hour film, 48 hour music video, a short film that I was DP on, and some B-roll footage on a feature that just completed post production. I already have a feature film lined up as well, but that is late enough in the year that delay shouldn't cause any problems for me, but I am prepared to have a camera rented for the production if things do go wrong or to even use my 7D as the camera for the production, even with the limitations it has. My credentials also include learning from the top people in my area, be it production management, camera, directing, producing, etc. I never pick from sub-par talent to learn a trade from, which is the exact reason that although I was low rank in the US Marines (E3) I was doing the job of a person much higher (E6, E7, or even officer jobs).

Any person that deals in any business should know not to lay their money down on equipment that is not out and expect that to be their money maker. I've been watching this forum for some time now and some people did that and it bit them in the rear. Yes, BMD says they are moving to full production, but what if something much worse happens? You have to plan for a worst case scenario. I get jobs because I come in with backup plans that cover three levels at least so that if something does go wrong I am set. The advice I gave was professional-type advice. May not have said it in that manner, but it was also late my time and I had been elbow deep in school work trying to get finals finished up, which will not happen until Monday evening CST.
Bruce Forest

baforest

PostSun Dec 16, 2012 11:28 am

Andy Fordham wrote:God, why are people just rude on this forum. ? I can't believe some comments.

If you know a camera is new and in development, don't lay all your bets and future work on a camera that you can not guarantee will be on hand to use. Its just Simple logic !
Pre-ordering any product is a gamble.

If you know its coming but possibly be delayed, don'y buy it if you are then shouting about a delivery date. If a delivery date doesn't matter and you don't mind a wait, go ahead.

When it is in a distributor stock and In stock avail for next day delivery, that's the time to order.

Otherwise, go make pictures with any other readily available camera.

Stop the whining ! It makes you sound like amateurs.

Don't worry, Andy. I've got this. :P
Last edited by baforest on Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce Forest

baforest

PostSun Dec 16, 2012 11:34 am

Costa Louvieris wrote:Sorry but please don't be so rude. Bruce is 100% right and we are all just here trying to help. And what on earth does his talent have to do with what he said?

Oh my! Oh my! Oh my! I'm so excited to be defended by the great Costa!!!!! *Left arm goes numb. Chest pains. Drool starts falling from my mouth. Falls to the floor in pain.* "Woah... My hands can touch anything but themselves." (Futurama quote).

Sorry, got a lil high there. Thanks for the defense!
Bruce Forest

Cameron Mckinlay

PostSun Dec 16, 2012 11:39 am

baforest wrote: Did you see the size of their booth at NAB? Wow.

Thats just the little guy trying to have a big voice. Which previous to the BMCC their voice was very quiet. So I can see why their booth was so big at NAB.
In the bigger picture of companies in this industry. They are quiet a small company but I hope they continue to grow and push the limits of affordable high quality cinema cameras. Perhaps a 2k high speed camera around $3000.......we can only dream right?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Cameron Mckinlay

Jarateng

PostSun Dec 16, 2012 3:13 pm

watch the cam being talked to here

Christian Schmeer

PostSun Dec 16, 2012 7:45 pm

Jarateng wrote:http://vimeo.com/55552890

"(...) the camera operates best at ISO800 (...)"

Just wondering: why is that?
www.christianschmeer.com

adamroberts

PostSun Dec 16, 2012 7:51 pm

Christian Schmeer wrote:

That is the camera's native ISO.

Christian Schmeer

PostSun Dec 16, 2012 8:06 pm

adamroberts wrote:
Christian Schmeer wrote:

That is the camera's native ISO.

So what happens when shooting at a lower ISO? What's "worse" about the lower ISO settings in comparison to the native one?
www.christianschmeer.com

adamroberts

PostSun Dec 16, 2012 8:16 pm

When shooting RAW the camera always shoots at 800ISO. It's just meta data that can be changed in post.

When shooting Prores/DNxHD the ISO is changed by the processor. It adds gain or reduces gain electronically. This can introduce noise.

If you wanted to use a lower ISO you would probably get better results using ND to reduce the exposure.

adamroberts

PostSun Dec 16, 2012 8:19 pm

Same as on many Canon DSLRs you will get better results shooting at 160ISO than at 100ISO.

jevon99

PostSun Dec 16, 2012 9:35 pm

BMC's 800 ISO is more like 600 ISO to those used to DSLR shooting :)
Glen Jevon
www.facebook.com/glenjevon

Christian Schmeer

PostSun Dec 16, 2012 10:06 pm

jevon99 wrote:BMC's 800 ISO is more like 600 ISO to those used to DSLR shooting :)

In terms of what – noise?
www.christianschmeer.com

ianlucero

PostSun Dec 16, 2012 10:27 pm

Just get the tools made right and when it is ready to use, ship it. I'll be looking forward to renting your cameras when the tool fits the job at hand. Thanks for introducing yet another interesting tool to use in this huge world of filmmaking.
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography