Camera Shipping Update: 12/14

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

thomasblakeramsey

Re: Camera Shipping Update: 12/14

PostFri Jan 11, 2013 7:40 pm

Well since my office is basically right next to B&H in NYC, I walked up to bug them about BMCC shipments. They told me they already got their first large preorder in this week and hope to fulfill all preorders within the next two weeks. Hmmmm.

Michael Sandiford

PostFri Jan 11, 2013 7:57 pm

Wow. Looks like it could soon be getting to time to order mine.

Christine Peterson

PostFri Jan 11, 2013 8:03 pm

Art Roberts wrote:Guys, let's not allow the utmost need of a BMCC put us over the edge. There is also a need to keep this forum with positive info only and not speculation. There is so much speculation, you don' know what to believe anymore. People should learn to hold it when there is nothing positive to post that can help your fellow man. Oh Christine where are thou.

I am here! Of course, I agree with your sentiment. Taikonaut has been handed a temporary ban for continuing to spread false information after being warned, on top of multiple previous warnings for insulting Blackmagic employees and other members of this forum. We are definitely beyond sending out demo units!
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)

c.carlos.n

PostFri Jan 11, 2013 8:34 pm

thank's Cristine... that is an update!!!! Short and Sweet...
Carlos E Núñez

bhook

PostFri Jan 11, 2013 8:39 pm

What's an update? This place is getting weird.

Christine Peterson

PostFri Jan 11, 2013 8:41 pm

c.carlos.n wrote:thank's Cristine... that is an update!!!! Short and Sweet...

Haha, that wasn't the "official" update. Coming soon.
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)

rune

PostFri Jan 11, 2013 8:59 pm

thomasblakeramsey wrote:Well since my office is basically right next to B&H in NYC, I walked up to bug them about BMCC shipments. They told me they already got their first large preorder in this week and hope to fulfill all preorders within the next two weeks. Hmmmm.

That would be REALLY nice...

c.carlos.n

PostFri Jan 11, 2013 9:36 pm

We are definitely beyond sending out demo units!

That's an update of sorts
Carlos E Núñez

MoonFetish

PostFri Jan 11, 2013 9:40 pm

Been lurking for a while, but I'm hoping the stories about the camera shipping soon are correct.

I need a camera within the next two months for a project, and really don't want to settle for the over priced C100, or something in that category.

billmanolios

PostSat Jan 12, 2013 1:20 am

thomasblakeramsey wrote:Well since my office is basically right next to B&H in NYC, I walked up to bug them about BMCC shipments. They told me they already got their first large preorder in this week and hope to fulfill all preorders within the next two weeks. Hmmmm.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSat Jan 12, 2013 4:27 am

I actually got to touch a BMCC for the first time today. :D

One of the rental houses in Portland, Oregon (http://www.pixthis.com) received their BMCC this week.

First impression: I really like the camera.

I only had a few minutes to play with the camera, but they did allow me to put my SSD drive in it and record for a few minutes total: 10-sec. each of all the cam's record modes @ ISO 800 w. WB @ 5600K.

As others have mentioned, one of the things I liked about the BMCC is that it switches between modes very quickly (almost instantly), and powers-up within a second or two. I think the built-in LCD will be quite adequate for many of my shoots (probably with the addition of inexpensive 3M anti-glare film & Hoodman sunshade), and otherwise I'll use an external monitor or EVF of some sort. The double-tap the touchscreen to focus & peaking feature is very useful, as is the zebras @ 100% to detect sensor clipping.

The attached 1920x1080 JPEG frame grab is from ProRes 422 HQ in "Video" (Rec.709) 30p recording mode. The lens was my >45 yr. old manual Nikon F 55mm f1.2 prime lens at f2.8, mounted via an inexpensive Fotodiox adapter. (The rental house also rents very nice cine glass, but I didn't "test" any.) The lighting was dim ambient daylight coming through frosted glass windows. I did a minor WB tweak in post, but no sharpening or NR, before creating this JPEG.

Today wasn't any kind of a real test, just an opportunity for me to play with the cam a bit. Enough to leave me looking forward to be an owner of one ASAP!

Cheers.

prores_rec709.jpg
prores_rec709.jpg (204.95 KiB) Viewed 21788 times

Art Roberts

PostSat Jan 12, 2013 5:59 am

Christine Wrote
I am here! Of course, I agree with your sentiment. Taikonaut has been handed a temporary ban for continuing to spread false information after being warned, on top of multiple previous warnings for insulting Blackmagic employees and other members of this forum. We are definitely beyond sending out demo units!

I'm glad some discipline prevails on the forum.

10s

PostSat Jan 12, 2013 7:48 am

It feels like we're finally turning the corner and the cameras are now starting to roll in! I can smell them! This should be a really great time ahead of us all as we learn the tools and share our practices, best of all, our results.

danap

PostSat Jan 12, 2013 11:50 am

10s wrote: I can smell them! .

Olfactory delusion :-) I can smell absolutely NOTHING here in NORWAY.Seems like the BMCC is reserved for the Anglo Saxon Dominion.

Björn Sonnenschein

PostSat Jan 12, 2013 12:22 pm

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =1&theater

Blackmaigic started shipping the Blackmagic Camera (BMCC). Today the first one (!) arrived at our warehouse! The bad news is that Blackmagic let their dealers know that in January 2013 Blckmagic will only be able to ship enough cameras to serve customers that ordered in April 2012!. Is this crazy or what? Most likely customers the ordered in May 2012 will have to wait until February or march to get a camera. What do think about that. Let us and Blackmagic know. Visit www.marcotec-shop.com for regulary updates and Blackmagic products.
www.milloghmey.de

Sham

PostSat Jan 12, 2013 12:26 pm

Has anyone in the UK had there BMCC. I'm so FU%$^d off with how long Black Magic are taking. I'm going off the BMCC because the the brand is proving to be so poor in keeping to there word and spending money on a product that is amazing but the brand being so unreliable is it worth it or should I just hire it. I don't think I can be loyal to the Black Magic any more as I fill they have let me down as they said 2013 Jan will be the start of shipping were? I called everyone on the authorized resellers list in UK on the Black Magic web page. This is how I feel Black Magic I'm sorry I had to tell you my feelings like this but. I had projects planed to launch my brand but how no BMCC..........

adamroberts

PostSat Jan 12, 2013 12:41 pm

Sham wrote:Has anyone in the UK had there BMCC.

Had mine since Christmas Eve. They are arriving... Pretty much everything shuts down in Aus over the Christmas period and shipping during that time is a nightmare. There are many reports of others getting theirs and I'd expect to see a lot more popping up over the next few weeks.

Here is some test footage I shot yesterday:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4083

Albert N. Romero

PostSat Jan 12, 2013 1:26 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:I actually got to touch a BMCC for the first time today. :D

Are you going to sell your hand in ebay? I'm very interested.

Now, serious, wich SSD did u use? Is one of the "selected" or another one?

baforest

PostSat Jan 12, 2013 2:34 pm

billmanolios wrote:

Best picture EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bruce Forest
Ordered: Sept. 7, 2012

Tom Sefton

PostSat Jan 12, 2013 9:14 pm

Sham wrote:Has anyone in the UK had there BMCC. I'm so FU%$^d off with how long Black Magic are taking. I'm going off the BMCC because the the brand is proving to be so poor in keeping to there word and spending money on a product that is amazing but the brand being so unreliable is it worth it or should I just hire it. I don't think I can be loyal to the Black Magic any more as I fill they have let me down as they said 2013 Jan will be the start of shipping were? I called everyone on the authorized resellers list in UK on the Black Magic web page. The excitement for this new amazing BMCC has basically settled like the froth of my piss. This is how I feel Black Magic I'm sorry I had to tell you my feelings like this but. I had projects planed to launch my brand but how no BMCC..........

Got mine about 3 weeks before Christmas - it's worth the wait.

I know it's been said before, but Blackmagic didn't plan to let anyone down.
Tom Sefton
Owner
Pollen Studio
www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSun Jan 13, 2013 12:24 am

Albert N. Romero wrote:
Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:I actually got to touch a BMCC for the first time today. :D

Are you going to sell your hand in ebay? I'm very interested. ...

:lol:

Albert N. Romero wrote:... Now, serious, wich SSD did u use? Is one of the "selected" or another one?

No, unfortunately, the SSD I have now is one that has been found to be very unreliable (OCZ Vertex-3 240GB). I'll replace it with something else when my camera finally arrives.

baforest

PostSun Jan 13, 2013 12:55 am

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:No, unfortunately, the SSD I have now is one that has been found to be very unreliable (OCZ Vertex-3 240GB). I'll replace it with something else when my camera finally arrives.

Thanks Peter. Now I know I've gotta replace mine. Gonna have to put a few others on order sometime.
Bruce Forest

Christian Schmeer

PostSun Jan 13, 2013 5:04 am

Great... two conflicting stories. Would BMD please make a statement :roll:

Björn Sonnenschein wrote:http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=516081561745235&set=a.460178564002202.101897.176743959012332&type=1&theater
Blackmaigic started shipping the Blackmagic Camera (BMCC). Today the first one (!) arrived at our warehouse! The bad news is that Blackmagic let their dealers know that in January 2013 Blckmagic will only be able to ship enough cameras to serve customers that ordered in April 2012!. Is this crazy or what? Most likely customers the ordered in May 2012 will have to wait until February or march to get a camera. What do think about that. Let us and Blackmagic know. Visit http://www.marcotec-shop.com for regulary updates and Blackmagic products.
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

Darryl Gregory

PostSun Jan 13, 2013 6:54 am

Christian Schmeer wrote:Great... two conflicting stories. Would BMD please make a statement :roll:

Björn Sonnenschein wrote:http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=516081561745235&set=a.460178564002202.101897.176743959012332&type=1&theater
Blackmaigic started shipping the Blackmagic Camera (BMCC). Today the first one (!) arrived at our warehouse! The bad news is that Blackmagic let their dealers know that in January 2013 Blckmagic will only be able to ship enough cameras to serve customers that ordered in April 2012!. Is this crazy or what? Most likely customers the ordered in May 2012 will have to wait until February or march to get a camera. What do think about that. Let us and Blackmagic know. Visit http://www.marcotec-shop.com for regulary updates and Blackmagic products.

They made one...Wait till your order is fulfilled by your supplier!
How can they make a bolder statement than that?

They do not care what you think, or how badly you want it, They are trying to make as many
cameras as they can while suffering a record breaking "HEAT WAVE" sweating all over every camera, Now chill out!

Albert N. Romero

PostSun Jan 13, 2013 7:25 am

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:
Albert N. Romero wrote:

Are you going to sell your hand in ebay? I'm very interested. ...

:lol:

Albert N. Romero wrote:... Now, serious, wich SSD did u use? Is one of the "selected" or another one?

No, unfortunately, the SSD I have now is one that has been found to be very unreliable (OCZ Vertex-3 240GB). I'll replace it with something else when my camera finally arrives.

Thanks

.....Crap, is the same that i have..

Xtreemtec

PostSun Jan 13, 2013 8:32 am

Albert N. Romero wrote:
Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:
Albert N. Romero wrote:No, unfortunately, the SSD I have now is one that has been found to be very unreliable (OCZ Vertex-3 240GB). I'll replace it with something else when my camera finally arrives.

Thanks

.....Crap, is the same that i have..

Same here!!!! I have 2 pieces here. Had them already in use on my Hyperdeck Studio.
Wonder why they are no good while BMD still recomend them ?? :| :| :|
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSun Jan 13, 2013 8:55 am

Xtreemtec wrote:
Albert N. Romero wrote:
Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:No, unfortunately, the SSD I have now is one that has been found to be very unreliable (OCZ Vertex-3 240GB). I'll replace it with something else when my camera finally arrives.

Same here!!!! I have 2 pieces here. Had them already in use on my Hyperdeck Studio.
Wonder why they are no good while BMD still recomend them ?? :| :| :|

John Brawley had more than 4 (I believe it was 6!) of the OCZ Vertex-3 240GB fail on him.

To the best of my knowledge, the most up-to-date list of tested/recommended SSD drives is on page 26 in the BMCC user manual PDF (I don't know why the FAQ on the BMD website is different):
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/

The BMCC user manual says:
==============
"...
Recommended SSDs for RAW Recording
SSD’s recommended for use with Blackmagic Cinema Camera and RAW 2.5K video recording include:
‚Crucial 256GB C300
‚Crucial 512GB M4 (firmware 009) ‚ Kingston 64GB SSDNow V+100 ‚ Kingston 128GB SSDNow V+100 ‚ Kingston 240GB SSDNow V+200 ‚ Kingston HyperX 240GB
‚Sandisk Extreme 480GB.
..."
==============

Of these, BMCC users report that the ‚Sandisk Extreme 480GB has been particularly good.

Xtreemtec

PostSun Jan 13, 2013 9:03 am

Well at the FAQ under hyperdeck studio this is noteted:

What SSD's should I use with the HyperDecks?

SSD's which are qualified for Uncompressed 10-bit video capture will also work well for compressed video capture. There are some SSD's which we have tested and found to drop frames when capturing Uncompressed 10-bit video. However, they still work well when capturing compressed video.

The following SSD's are recommended for Uncompressed 10-bit video capture:

OCZ 240GB Vertex 3 (VTX3-25SAT3-240G)
OCZ 480GB Vertex 3 (VTX3-25SAT3-480G)
Crucial 256GB C300 (CTFDDAC256MAG-1G1)
Crucial 512GB M4 (firmware 009) (CT512M4SSD2)
Kingston 64GB SSDNow V+100 (SVP100S2/64G)
Kingston 128GB SSDNow V+100 (SVP100S2/128G)
Kingston 240GB SSDNow V+200 (SVP200S3/240G)
Kingston HyperX 240GB (SH100S3/240G)
Sandisk Extreme 480GB (SDSSDX-480G-G25)

The following SSD's are recommended for compressed video capture:

Crucial 25GB M4 (firmware 000F) (CT256M4SSD2)
OCZ Agility 3 240GB (AGT3-25SAT3-240G)
Sandisk Extreme 120GB (SDSSDX-120G-G25)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Albert N. Romero

PostSun Jan 13, 2013 9:30 am

Well it seems that i need to buy more stuff...
Idont know if the version 4 of vertex could work propper.
But i think the scandisk extreme 120gb has higher mb/s than the 480 (550-510 vs 540-460) or even the 240gb (550-520)
I always prefer to have a few with less cap. Than one with lots of gb.

Anyway... Until the camera arrives, we have time to think about and watch more recomendations and test... And the prizes get low (a positive view jaja)

Gerald Menclik

PostSun Jan 13, 2013 11:22 am

Christian Schmeer wrote:Great... two conflicting stories. Would BMD please make a statement :roll:

Maybe because one statement is from b&h in US and the other from marcotec in Germany? For sure BMD will first of start shipping to US .....
Gerald "Nigel" Menclik
www.menclik.at
info@menclik.at

bhook

PostSun Jan 13, 2013 2:23 pm

Well, it is no longer "early January" so even if BMD condescends to grace us with an update today, they still miss another commitment. It seems almost like they're doing it on purpose...

John Bartman

PostSun Jan 13, 2013 4:25 pm

According to BM´s own website
(see bottom of the Cinema camera specs page
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagiccinemacamera/techspecs)

States that EF mount is "limited shipping"
while the MTF is "shipping in december" !

Dan MCcready

PostSun Jan 13, 2013 5:08 pm

Hi guys.

I am in two minds what do you think?
I'm looking to shoot 2 features and several shorts for both myself an other clients, I haven't ordered my BMCC yet, I would need it before March is it worth taking the risk and waiting or should I go for the Red Scarlet x or the Red One? I really like the BMCC but If I order tomorrow (Monday) I may not get it in time?

Macksey.

bhook

PostSun Jan 13, 2013 5:32 pm

Macksey wrote:If I order tomorrow (Monday) I may not get it in time?

Just a guess (because nobody seems to know for sure) but if you were to order tomorrow, I would call it "unlikely" that you would get your camera l8 February. I preordered last April and I don't expect to get my camera by March.

:(

Michael Sandiford

PostSun Jan 13, 2013 8:40 pm

Macksey wrote:Hi guys.

I am in two minds what do you think?
I'm looking to shoot 2 features and several shorts for both myself an other clients, I haven't ordered my BMCC yet, I would need it before March is it worth taking the risk and waiting or should I go for the Red Scarlet x or the Red One? I really like the BMCC but If I order tomorrow (Monday) I may not get it in time?

Macksey.

Unless your renting or buying second hand the red one has been pretty much discontinued. Are you set up to deal with a Red. Are you sure you can't do it with a the like of a 5D which Eli Roth has just used to film his latest movie.

Dan MCcready

PostSun Jan 13, 2013 11:07 pm

Cheers for the reply Guys.

I have 7d's I like them better than the 5d11-111 I sold my 5d11 months ago, I just find them easer to shoot with, I'm just finishing a 60 minute pilot with them called Broken England, but I'm looking long term and need something new, I feel I need to move on and up, just to tell you I'm not really a DOP I am a Director I run a small Production Company and I Need something for Clients also, I also read somewhere that Black Magic are not releasing any cameras until they have built enough to cover current orders and that will be soon.
Who is the best reseller in the UK?

Macksey

Antonio Rosiello

PostSun Jan 13, 2013 11:22 pm

http://www.dslrnewsshooter.com/2013/01/ ... ma-camera/

kineraw mini s35 ...if they start to produce it after NAB, Bye bye BMCC

adamroberts

PostSun Jan 13, 2013 11:33 pm

Macksey wrote: ... I also read somewhere that Black Magic are not releasing any cameras until they have built enough to cover current orders and that will be soon.
Who is the best reseller in the UK?

I got mine from ProAV.co.uk. I deal with Dale. He's been super helpful in all my dealings with them.

The other 2 I'd look at would be CVP or Jigsaw. All 3 are reliable and helpful.

I use CVP a lot as the have their big warehouse branch up the road so if I need something I call them reserve it and pop in to collect. Always helpful.

ckmayeux

PostSun Jan 13, 2013 11:37 pm

Great news for B&H orders! I suppose the post about B&H fulfilling all preorders within the next 2 weeks may actually hold some truth as i received the following email from B&H customer service regarding my order:

Hello , my name is Baila H.

Thank you for your order and for contacting the Customer Service Department at B&H Photo Video and Pro Audio.

BlackMagic has just started sending us shipments of the cameras. We hope to fulfill your back-order within the next couple of weeks.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with.

Baila H
B&H Photo Video and Pro Audio
The Professional's Source.
E-Mail Customer Service Department
http://www.bhphotovideo.com
Ordered From: B&H
Order Date: 09/16/2012
Delivery: Not yet....

bhook

PostMon Jan 14, 2013 12:00 am

That means that B&H should have them in stock for over-the-counter purchase by April, huh?

ckmayeux

PostMon Jan 14, 2013 12:22 am

mhood wrote:That means that B&H should have them in stock for over-the-counter purchase by April, huh?

It sounds like that is a possibility unless BMD only ships exactly enough to fill pre-orders and then stops shipping to B&H to fulfill pre-orders from around the rest of the globe.

Justindfox

PostMon Jan 14, 2013 3:11 am

I ordered mine the beginning of January, anyone have an idea when it may come in?

klojewski

PostMon Jan 14, 2013 3:18 am

I've got lenses, which I ordered when I thought it was shipping in July.

I've got my film project, would just love to start working with the camera.

I called Avalive.com - one of the first places on the internet to offer the camera. They've still got my order on file, they've been getting cameras in one at a time.

Checking my email daily, with that glimmer of hope that my number comes up! What a deal.

Order date:
4/17/12

baforest

PostMon Jan 14, 2013 3:24 am

Justindfox wrote:I ordered mine the beginning of January, anyone have an idea when it may come in?

I appologize for the smart alec remark, but I'm going to say within the Marine Corps time frame... Between now and never.
Bruce Forest

baforest

PostMon Jan 14, 2013 3:40 am

ckmayeux wrote:Great news for B&H orders! I suppose the post about B&H fulfilling all preorders within the next 2 weeks may actually hold some truth as i received the following email from B&H customer service regarding my order:

Thank you for your order and for contacting the Customer Service Department at B&H Photo Video and Pro Audio.

BlackMagic has just started sending us shipments of the cameras. We hope to fulfill your back-order within the next couple of weeks.

Baila H

I ordered bout a week and a half before you and haven't recieved that email yet... There's gotta be something screwy with their systems to notify us, lol.
Bruce Forest

ckmayeux

PostMon Jan 14, 2013 12:28 pm

baforest wrote:
ckmayeux wrote:Great news for B&H orders! I suppose the post about B&H fulfilling all preorders within the next 2 weeks may actually hold some truth as i received the following email from B&H customer service regarding my order:

Baila H

I ordered bout a week and a half before you and haven't recieved that email yet... There's gotta be something screwy with their systems to notify us, lol.

They didn't send me this email on their own. I emailed customer service and asked about the status of my order.

Jason Greene

PostMon Jan 14, 2013 12:48 pm

Baila H

As someone who ordered from B&H around the same time as you, I can only hope that this is true.

However, I recall people reporting in November and as recently as early December that B&H reps were telling them at the time that they would receive enough from BMD to to fill all pre-orders by "the end of [2012]."

So, forgive us if we don't get our hopes up too high. I'll believe I'm getting my camera when I see my shipping notice. Like I said, I do hope it is soon.

EVOSHOOTER

PostMon Jan 14, 2013 1:24 pm

:) Be patient on sour grapes become grapes

nichymontero

PostMon Jan 14, 2013 3:41 pm

14/01/2013... No updates, no info... I Paid 3000€ to order my camera on October. At the moment I don´t have anything. No camera, 3000€ less and missinformation. Grant please give us some information as you said on december and maybe I´ll feel better... Just let us know what´s going on please!!

George E. Kennedy, Jr.

PostTue Jan 15, 2013 12:31 am

Looking at my Pre Order today, it was made on May 15. I'm hoping for good news soon.
gek, jr.
Previous

Return to Cinematography