Camera Shipping Update: 12/14

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Marcel Beck

Re: Camera Shipping Update: 12/14

PostThu Dec 20, 2012 3:25 am

Great news Jason!

I wish my dealer had the same surprise waiting for me....

Enjoy it!
Marcel Beck
Cinematographer & Producer
follow me: @mxbstudios

baforest

PostThu Dec 20, 2012 4:27 am

Jason Greene wrote:
baforest wrote:
c.carlos.n wrote:B&H, I ordered mid July and they will not speculate when and how. so I wait in pain!!!!

At least I know I'm not the only one having issue with them. Their "Company Policy" is crap toward customers. I'll not pre-order through them again.

Really?

Surely you don't want them to ship you a camera that they do not have? You seem to be upset and bashing B&H for not giving out information that they likely do not have. Wow.

Even if they had been told something by BMD, I think they would be quite foolish to start setting customer expectations based on that information (especially if it was as, um, precise as the information in this thread). You're here on this forum. You have seen the roller coaster of hopes and hopes dashed that has gone on here with regards to shipping. Why would B&H want to have any part in that?

B&H is typically appropriately conservative in setting customer expectations and almost never promises something unless they know they can deliver it. B&H has an excellent reputation for customer service.

Perhaps some other companies could learn a thing or two from B&H.

Folks here know that B&H is a quality shop. Having bought 10's of thousands of dollars of equipment from them over the last 6-7 years, they have always exceeded my expectations with selection, shipping, and customer service. I'm sure that I'm not the only one here who is loyal to B&H and for good reason. To see such a silly comment to conclude that their policy is "crap towards customers" is just plain ridiculous in my opinion.

Jason, don't go jumping to conclusions on what I am saying. I have talked to them and they even refuse to tell where I stand in line for the camera. Do the customers not deserve the right to be able to know where they stand within the orders of the company?

I've spent a good deal of money with the company as well. I like them just fine, but the policy of not telling the customers where they stand in a pre-order line is ridiculous. So you tell me the truth, is that something that you like to hear from a company? I'm not expecting any hard answers from them on shipments.

So, you have misread into my statement as to what I am referring to here. Please, actually ask when you don't understand 100% what someone is speaking of.
Bruce Forest
Ordered: Sept. 7, 2012

Jason.

PostThu Dec 20, 2012 7:17 am

Christian Schmeer wrote:
Jason, it's great to hear someone from the UK got another camera :) Do you know if many people ordered with your reseller/which spot in line you had? It seems like BMCC shipments are gaining momentum. Keep it going BMD! :)

Hi Christian

I'm not sure how many people pre-ordered with Wendy but I became first in line after a couple of people changed their orders.

I know she ordered the cameras immediately in April and has been as frustrated as any of us at the delay and of course whilst my wait is over she still has other clients who she is trying so hard to get this camera for.

Jason
Last edited by Jason. on Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jason.

PostThu Dec 20, 2012 7:23 am

rick.lang wrote:
Wendy is a jewel and she's made you a lifetime client!

Rick,

She is indeed and with that kind of service I'll happily be a lifetime client.

Now, time to go and shoot something

regards

Jason

adamroberts

PostThu Dec 20, 2012 9:06 am

Cameras are slowly trickling into the UK. My dealer (ProAV.co.uk) says BM have sent him stock (did not say how much) and he is expecting it to arrive today. Mine it one of them.

Costa Louvieris

PostThu Dec 20, 2012 9:36 am

adamroberts wrote:Cameras are slowly trickling into the UK. My dealer (ProAV.co.uk) says BM have sent him stock (did not say how much) and he is expecting it to arrive today. Mine it one of them.

It's so funny that when I ordered I decided to go with what I thought would be the better choice... a bigger company (CVP) whom I thought would be the first to get theirs in. Instead I should have ordered with the smaller retailer as you did! The most funny outcome of this all is that all the dealers getting theirs in at the moment are only around the corner from me! Your one is in Hemel, I grew up in the Watford area and could easily drive there in 30 minutes and collect one. Also the other day someone got theirs from 3DBroadcast which is literally a 5 minute drive from my studio! Live and learn I guess!

Christian Schmeer

PostThu Dec 20, 2012 12:07 pm

Costa Louvieris wrote:
adamroberts wrote:Cameras are slowly trickling into the UK. My dealer (ProAV.co.uk) says BM have sent him stock (did not say how much) and he is expecting it to arrive today. Mine it one of them.

It's so funny that when I ordered I decided to go with what I thought would be the better choice... a bigger company (CVP) whom I thought would be the first to get theirs in. Instead I should have ordered with the smaller retailer as you did! The most funny outcome of this all is that all the dealers getting theirs in at the moment are only around the corner from me! Your one is in Hemel, I grew up in the Watford area and could easily drive there in 30 minutes and collect one. Also the other day someone got theirs from 3DBroadcast which is literally a 5 minute drive from my studio! Live and learn I guess!

I wonder if CVP received any more cameras since the one that went towards Andrew Reid from EOSHD?

EDIT: I might be wrong, but fulfilling CVP's order of about 300 cameras (?) surely shouldn't be much of a problem once the cameras are being mass produced. :roll: I expected there to be more than 300 orders through CVP really...
Last edited by Christian Schmeer on Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

Costa Louvieris

PostThu Dec 20, 2012 12:09 pm

Christian Schmeer wrote:
Costa Louvieris wrote:

I wonder if CVP received any more cameras since the one that went towards Andrew Reid from EOSHD?

I doubt it, but you never know... they obviously have the one they kept for themselves too.

Jason Greene

PostThu Dec 20, 2012 12:41 pm

baforest wrote:Jason, don't go jumping to conclusions on what I am saying.
So, you have misread into my statement as to what I am referring to here. Please, actually ask when you don't understand 100% what someone is speaking of.

You're right. I jumped to conclusions. Based on the post that I quoted of yours, you might consider why I jumped to conclusions. Perhaps your post was not very specific, yet labeled B&H's policy towards customers as "crap." I did not misread your post. Rather, I reacted to what you said.

Thank you for clarifying. Now we know that you want to know where you are in line and aren't happy with their policy of not telling you. Fair enough. But, at least B&H has not charged you. Therefore, there is nothing lost for you to order from someone else and cancel your B&H order upon receiving the camera from someone else sooner, should it work out that way. That's the risk they run with not telling you. I still find the label of this policy as "crap" ridiculous. But, to each their own.

Good luck with your order. I sincerely hope you get your camera soon! I know I'm looking forward to getting mine.

baforest

PostThu Dec 20, 2012 1:01 pm

Jason Greene wrote:
baforest wrote:Jason, don't go jumping to conclusions on what I am saying.

You're right. I jumped to conclusions. Based on the post that I quoted of yours, you might consider why I jumped to conclusions. Perhaps your post was not very specific, yet labeled B&H's policy towards customers as "crap." I did not misread your post. Rather, I reacted to what you said.

Thank you for clarifying. Now we know that you want to know where you are in line and aren't happy with their policy of not telling you. Fair enough. But, at least B&H has not charged you. Therefore, there is nothing lost for you to order from someone else and cancel your B&H order upon receiving the camera from someone else sooner, should it work out that way. That's the risk they run with not telling you. I still find the label of this policy as "crap" ridiculous. But, to each their own.

Good luck with your order. I sincerely hope you get your camera soon! I know I'm looking forward to getting mine.

I don't see any reason to cancel my preorder from then because I've got a position in line and if I change companies now, who knows where I'll end up in the overall line, and I've got a project I would like to use this camera on... But if not I've got a cameraman that has C300 ready to go on it, but he'd also like to get his hands on BMCC.
Bruce Forest

thejasonbee

PostThu Dec 20, 2012 1:35 pm

I'm just going to pipe in about how B&H took care of me. Love their customer service...they are top-notch in my book.

Bernie Ryan

PostThu Dec 20, 2012 1:49 pm

the camera's are coming
mine in time for xmas !

baforest

PostThu Dec 20, 2012 1:52 pm

cyber city films. Bernie wrote:the camera's are coming
mine in time for xmas !

And there are many that are totally jello (jealous in teen speak) of you now.
Bruce Forest

gametavern

PostThu Dec 20, 2012 9:59 pm

Got my camera today, in Austin, TX. I was first on the list, and the store only got one.

nickdale

PostThu Dec 20, 2012 10:15 pm

Hey Guys - thought this may interest you guys - it's an ongoing thing... something to chew on over xmas if the turkey isn't fulfilling ;)

http://nofilmschool.com/2012/12/blackma ... mSchool%29

gametavern

PostFri Dec 21, 2012 1:52 am

Haven't updated firmware, but I tested with my 100mm Macro. The cam doesn't control the aperture with this lens, so the shot was massively blown out. Matters not, comes back to life with the power of RAW. Holy hell this camera is amazing.

C A R

PostFri Dec 21, 2012 7:49 am

gametavern wrote:Haven't updated firmware, but I tested with my 100mm Macro. The cam doesn't control the aperture with this lens, so the shot was massively blown out. Matters not, comes back to life with the power of RAW. Holy hell this camera is amazing.

is that the regular or the L? this is not good news for me, as i'll be using the non-L 100mm most of the time.
strongforthefuture.com | @scntfc | https://vimeo.com/48374201

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostFri Dec 21, 2012 4:51 pm

C A Rohrmann wrote:
gametavern wrote:Haven't updated firmware, but I tested with my 100mm Macro. The cam doesn't control the aperture with this lens, so the shot was massively blown out. Matters not, comes back to life with the power of RAW. Holy hell this camera is amazing.

is that the regular or the L? this is not good news for me, as i'll be using the non-L 100mm most of the time.

Perhaps the new firmware v.1.2 will support your lens when it's released? Here's hoping ...

Jarrett Craig

PostFri Dec 21, 2012 8:43 pm

Anyone in Canada get a camera yet?

Franckfc92

PostSun Dec 23, 2012 11:44 am

The EF 100mm 2.8 L is supposed to work with the BMC. Is it not the case?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2472#p14489

yannickbelleauroy

PostSun Dec 23, 2012 2:45 pm

I'm living in Quebec city canada and I did not receive the camera yet at 3di synthèse ! But santa claus is coming guys !

Seaborn

PostMon Dec 24, 2012 8:12 am

@ Yannick: i live in qc too!
I place this order on may at 3di synthese
I'm number 4 on the list and i'm still waiting
Seaborn studio
https://www.studioseaborn.com

Extrememedia

PostMon Dec 24, 2012 9:09 pm

Couldn't wait no more and actually I am glad that there were delays cause a friend of mine just sold me his Red scarlet. This was a rediculous wait. And I know Red had delays when theres came out but that was revolutionary and changed the entire market of film making. Next time there is a said release of a product it should only be after everything is streamlined and they have inventory. This wait I am sure has stopped many cinematographers from pursuing there dream of film making/docu dramas. Not talking to you guys that have been here for a while.

Hopefully things will work out. I will still buy the camera but put for sale as I a was on the list the very first week they came out on pre sales.

rick.lang

PostTue Dec 25, 2012 5:31 am

Extrememedia wrote:Couldn't wait no more and actually I am glad that there were delays cause a friend of mine just sold me his Red scarlet... I will still buy the [Blackmagic Cinema] camera but put for sale as I a was on the list the very first week they came out on pre sales.

You may get the best resale price if you never open the BMCC box. But won't you be curious to compare footage between your Scarlet and the BMCC?

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Eric Santiago

PostWed Dec 26, 2012 6:08 pm

rick.lang wrote: But won't you be curious to compare footage between your Scarlet and the BMCC?

I am not as curious as I was at the beginning.
I know that you have to make both frames to work if you plan on using the BMCC and <insert camera here>.
All the examples I've seen on the internet were done by experienced users and I want to be on that boat as well whether its the BMCC or the Scarlet which I dived into (the wait was way too long).
I look forward to using a BMCC along with my Scarlet hopefully in the near future :)

Martin Rotaveria

PostWed Dec 26, 2012 6:19 pm

Hi, I'd like to have advice on if i should count on having this camera available in Japan by Jan 30.
This is a hard date for me and it determines if i buy the camera or not.
EF mount would be ok for me since i have lots of canon glass.
Thanks,

Martin

billmanolios

PostWed Dec 26, 2012 6:44 pm

Have a backup plan. We will hopefully get a better sense of manufacturing rates with the next update.

Martin Rotaveria

PostWed Dec 26, 2012 6:59 pm

thanks for the quick reply, do you know when we should expect to have a new update?

core_haza

PostThu Dec 27, 2012 2:57 am

I'm in Melbourne and have just been informed I won't be seeing my BlackMagic until at least March.... :|

ric88

PostThu Dec 27, 2012 3:13 am

core_haza wrote:I'm in Melbourne and have just been informed I won't be seeing my BlackMagic until at least March.... :|

When did you order?

Darryl Gregory

PostThu Dec 27, 2012 3:17 am

Martin Rotaveria

PostThu Dec 27, 2012 10:54 pm

Even the Christmas jokes are late in Blackmagic :P, just kidding guys.

Alex Tissot

PostFri Dec 28, 2012 8:35 am

Still waiting in France, like in Europe...
And you?
https://vimeo.com/user5198817

danap

PostFri Dec 28, 2012 12:41 pm

Only one cam in Norway. Arctic outback in a USA centric world.

daniel ltr7

PostFri Dec 28, 2012 5:05 pm

Any MFT mount cameras released already?
Otherwise it would be abouth the time to change shipping status on the BlackMagic homepage, still says “shipping in december" (doesn't say what year => should I start worrying?)

Europe interests me to, I ordered in Germany.

daniel

filmerflo

PostFri Dec 28, 2012 8:47 pm

Hey guys,
I ordered at the end of august at Teltec Berlin.
Can you tell me when in which month I should expect my EF-version?
Greets!

Albert N. Romero

PostSat Dec 29, 2012 11:30 am

Guys viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3732 good news for the desesperate old continent

Kevin Gale

PostSat Dec 29, 2012 1:43 pm

I plan to eventually buy about 3 of these so called "cameras" if they even exist... :? :lol: :roll:

daniel ltr7

PostSat Dec 29, 2012 2:23 pm

I ordered end of May 2012 at Teltec too, nothing yet.
I changed preoder from EF to MFT mount towards the end of november 2012

Ruben Fernandez

PostSun Dec 30, 2012 5:34 am

With NAB just around the corner (April) does it even make sense to wait for the BMCC with only 4 months remaining til Vegas? There will DEFINITELY be a BMCC mark II at NAB, so... just my two cents.

Darryl Gregory

PostSun Dec 30, 2012 7:40 am

Ruben Fernandez wrote:With NAB just around the corner (April) does it even make sense to wait for the BMCC with only 4 months remaining til Vegas? There will DEFINITELY be a BMCC mark II at NAB, so... just my two cents.

BMCC mark II? Even an announcement would not be for at least another 18 months

Darryl Gregory

PostSun Dec 30, 2012 10:54 am

Got Bad News Today :cry:

EVOSHOOTER

PostSun Dec 30, 2012 11:46 am

Maybe another update from Grant Petty make sense , customer must be updated

Christian Schmeer

PostSun Dec 30, 2012 12:03 pm

I doubt that mass production has properly ramped up yet. It will probably happen after New Year's and Grant will give us an update mid-January as stated in the last update. I just hope we'll really see masses of cameras being shipped in January...
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

core_haza

PostSun Dec 30, 2012 1:22 pm

I ordered in August :S

Ruben Fernandez

PostSun Dec 30, 2012 2:24 pm

Darryl Gregory wrote:
Ruben Fernandez wrote:With NAB just around the corner (April) does it even make sense to wait for the BMCC with only 4 months remaining til Vegas? There will DEFINITELY be a BMCC mark II at NAB, so... just my two cents.

Why not? a new BMCC makes perfect sense given all the problems (and limitations we as users would have had to deal with) they have had so far with the first one. By what blackmagic has said and done it makes perfect sense to launch it in NAB next year. If other manufacturers turn up with raw capable cameras (canon, nikon, sony) blackmagic, being the "pioneer" quote on quote, because so far this product cannot have the revolutionary status of the canon DSLRs, then blackmagic will have to bring another camera in the game or they will be left behind.

I say that this product cannot have (yet) the revolutionary status of the 5D simply because the 5D since it's launch has been AVAILABLE. I, like many, am eagerly expecting to try out the bmcc. But a revolution on paper, is not exactly a revolution. Mind my words, we WILL see a new blackmagic camera at NAB. For the people that already have it, great, I envy them to have such a powerful tool for so little money on their hands. But this waiting game, with 4 months till april and vegas showtime, makes absolutely no sense right now. The bmcc and "raw video to the masses" revolution so far is stillborn.

rick.lang

PostSun Dec 30, 2012 6:19 pm

Ruben Fernandez wrote:
Darryl Gregory wrote:

Why not? a new BMCC... makes perfect sense to launch it in NAB next year. If other manufacturers turn up with raw capable cameras (canon, nikon, sony)... Mind my words, we WILL see a new blackmagic camera at NAB...

The current BMCC at the current price point is still going to be revolutionary in your sense when it ships in volume in 2013. I tend to agree with Darryl. If a major revision is coming it will likely be announced in 2014 and perhaps once again volume production will follow some months later. There are so many great improvements that could be made even keeping the same sensor. I plan on investing in the MFT mount compatible manual lenses so I am not eagerly awaiting a S35 sensor that I understand would be the desire of many.

Before BMD gets buried in the engineering of a next generation BMCC, I'd be very pleased to see BMD squeeze more juice out of the existing sensor including using the full sensor width to provide us with high quality 2K deliverable options. Using the full sensor width increases the processor workload by only 7% and is surely something they must have wanted to do from day one. That 7% assumes they do not increase the height of the active processor so the quality deliverables would optionally be 2048x1080 in addition to the broadcast friendly 1920x1080.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Ruben Fernandez

PostMon Dec 31, 2012 12:33 am

Let's hope it is that way Rick. So far, the manufacturing and shipping track record has not been exactly encouraging. 2048 x 1080 would be amazing by the way.

Dave Dominguez

PostTue Jan 01, 2013 12:06 am

okay, its january. lets get that update.

just kidding..or am i?
https://vimeo.com/daviddominguez

Nick Bedford

PostTue Jan 01, 2013 12:50 am

I'd be surprised if Blackmagic Design announced any next version of the camera. They've barely managed to scrape through this release and are still months behind schedule.
Nick Bedford, Photographer
http://www.nickbedford.com/
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography