ANAMORPHIC BM

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Jorge_Piquer

ANAMORPHIC BM

PostMon Apr 20, 2015 1:03 pm

Hello
I´ve been wishing that BM will give us Anamorphic recording options on their cameras since they release them. It would make a lot of sense for all their models if they will allow to capture the full size sensor, I dont know about the Super 35 sensors but for shure the 4:3 sensors BMCC and BMPC will get a hudge adavantage.

Could someone from BM answer why they are not interested or not able to do it?
Everyone is going anamorphic this days (Arri, Panasonic, Kinefinity, Cooke, Angenieux, Veidra, Hawk...) they´re all releasing new anamorphic lenses/camera option.

Firmware Updates Sugestions:
Full Size sensor Raw recording
Un´squeeze preview (2x and 1.33x)

Sensor Crop for 16mm and s16mm lenses size (For 2k or 1080p)
LUTs options (Import , SDI output) .In BM cameras and BM Monitors

Come on guys you are not far of getting one of the best cameras out there!

Rakesh Malik

Re: ANAMORPHIC BM

PostMon Apr 20, 2015 5:01 pm

That might actually be a worthwhile option for the new 4.6K sensor, but I'd really prefer it if BMD would concentrate on making sure that they get into their customers' hands as soon as possible. I really hope we don't run into another situation where the cameras end up shipping 3-6 months late again!

They WILL be back ordered. I'm quite certain of that... BMD has a lousy track record for shipping even somewhat close to on time, but they do have a reputation for offering excellent image quality, so they are going to be VERY popular once people have a chance to decompress from the overwhelming NAB news.

If BMD had put on a theatrical presentation as well-appointed as Red's, the Red fans would probably have rioted.

Not that anyone I shoot with cares about what I use; they just love the images I give them. :)

I'm really excited about shooting some mountaineering footage with the Mini. The timing's wrong for our feature film, we'll be at least half way through production on that before it ships. :(
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Lee Gauthier

PostMon Apr 20, 2015 9:32 pm

If you really want anamorphic now, just use a 2x anamorphic lens on the 16:9 sensor and crop to 2.39:1.

Most 16:9 cameras crop the sensor down to deliver 4:3. It doesn't make a difference to the final output whether you crop at the sensor or crop in post. Sure, it's a little more work, but it also gives you some horizontal wiggle room for reframing.

If you use a 1.33x sueeze on 16:9, you'll get 2.39:1, but you'll miss all those great 2x anamorphic artifacts that make it look cinematic. 1.33x just isn't the same.

Or, you could do what Spielberg and Cameron prefer -- shoot 16:9 and then crop down to 2.39:1 without using anamorphic lenses at all.

rick.lang

ANAMORPHIC BM

PostTue Apr 21, 2015 6:51 pm

Jorge, when reading your post, I'm not sure you understand the new 4.6K sensor for URSA and URSA Mini includes a window for anamorphic 2x lenses. The window is 3072 x 2560 and when you desqueeze it, you have a 6144 x 2560 image with a CinemaScope 2.4:1 aspect ratio. Without any further cropping in post. A beautiful solution to those who can use 2x anamorphic lenses.

Edit: typo, meant 3072 x 2560!

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD
Last edited by rick.lang on Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rick Lang

Rakesh Malik

PostTue Apr 21, 2015 8:46 pm

rick.lang wrote:Jorge, when reading your post, I'm not sure you understand the new 4.6K sensor for URSA and URSA Mini includes a window for anamorphic 2x lenses. The window is 3073 x 2560 and when you desqueeze it, you have a 6144 x 2560 image with a CinemaScope 2.4:1 aspect ratio. Without any further cropping in post. A beautiful solution to those who can use 2x anamorphic lenses.

Stop that! You're just making the wait harder :)
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

rick.lang

PostTue Apr 21, 2015 9:27 pm

Rakesh Malik wrote:Stop that! You're just making the wait harder :)

I love that BMD put on their thinking caps when implementing a window for those wanting to use anamorphic lenses. While everyone was clamouring for full 4:3 sensor read outs to then crop the 2.66:1 desqueezed images down to 2.4:1 in post, BMD took the path that saves processing cycles by windowing in 6:5 aspect ratio and the desqueezing directly to CinemaScope. Isn't that more elegant even than ARRI? I so would love to shoot that, but I can't do it in the foreseeable future. People with 2x anamorphic lenses should jump on the URSA/Mini 4.6K and live happily ever after.

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Rakesh Malik

PostTue Apr 21, 2015 9:32 pm

rick.lang wrote:I love that BMD put on their thinking caps when implementing a window for those wanting to use anamorphic lenses. While everyone was clamouring for full 4:3 sensor read outs to then crop the 2.66:1 desqueezed images down to 2.4:1 in post, BMD took the path that saves processing cycles by windowing in 6:5 aspect ratio and the desqueezing directly to CinemaScope. Isn't that more elegant even than ARRI? I so would love to shoot that, but I can't do it in the foreseeable future. People with 2x anamorphic lenses should jump on the URSA/Mini 4.6K and live happily ever after.

I'm a little surprised that BMD hasn't been promoting that feature as well :)
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

rick.lang

PostTue Jun 09, 2015 5:23 am

Rakesh Malik wrote:
rick.lang wrote:Jorge, when reading your post, I'm not sure you understand the new 4.6K sensor for URSA and URSA Mini includes a window for anamorphic 2x lenses. The window is 3073 x 2560 and when you desqueeze it, you have a 6144 x 2560 image with a CinemaScope 2.4:1 aspect ratio. Without any further cropping in post. A beautiful solution to those who can use 2x anamorphic lenses.

Stop that! You're just making the wait harder :)

Let me add to your pain. At CineGear 2015, SLR Magic is showing their prototype of a 70mm anamorphic lens, with 'full frame' coverage in titanium PL mount and easily converted to EF, E, MFT mount if you wish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Rakesh Malik

PostTue Jun 09, 2015 5:30 am

Aargh. I hope bmd gets these cameras out into the wild son.
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

John Brawley

PostTue Jun 09, 2015 1:44 pm

Jorge_Piquer wrote:Could someone from BM answer why they are not interested or not able to do it?

It's coming.

At NAB Blackmagic had 2X anamorphic lenses on URSA / Ursa Mini cameras with in camera anamorphic monitoring.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

rick.lang

PostTue Jun 09, 2015 4:53 pm

Here's a link to the SLR Magic 70mm anamorphic lens from Newshooter at CineGear 2015 last week:

John, if you haven't already seen it in person, I hope you get your hands on this soon and long enough to show us your magic!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography