MFT Rolling Shutter issues.

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Charles Appleboot

MFT Rolling Shutter issues.

PostMon Dec 17, 2012 3:15 pm

I will just ask this and wait for an answer:

Why doesn't anyone talk about the Rolling Shutter issues when not using IS? I know they don't completely dissapear by using the IS system in a lens, but they do get reduced.

This is my main cause of doubt when deciding between both cameras. I don't have any lenses either and don't count with a rig (yet), so, if I need to shoot handheld, it'll be as handheld as it gets: with my hands on the little-less-than-ergonomic camera.

Is the IS system that important? Am I exagerating about the Rolling Shutter artifacts we supposedly get with this camera? how bad could they actually be?

Now, having in mind that this is the only reason why I can't seem to decide between one or the other: Is the Dumb Mount (No IS) a reason good enough to chose the EF mount version instead?

Christian Schmeer

Re: MFT Rolling Shutter issues.

PostMon Dec 17, 2012 4:22 pm

Watch from 26min 10sec for an IS demonstration (using a Canon 24-105 F 4"L" lens):
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostMon Dec 17, 2012 5:40 pm

Hi Charles: John Brawley shot all of the footage viewable at the following link without benefit of lens IS and without a rig:
http://johnbrawley.wordpress.com/2012/1 ... rty-blues/

Hopefully this addresses your concerns.

Also, just to note, Marco Solorio tested the BMCC's rolling shutter against the Canon 5DM3 and found them to be identical in terms of RS. Although obviously 5DM3 shooters have IS lenses available to them, it seems likely that an enormous amount of "handheld" shooting is being done with the 5DM3 w/o IS lenses, too, and careful operators seem to manage.

Refer to the 9:35 point in Marco's video:

I strongly advise stabilizing a camera, such as using a tripod, monopod, "beanbag", shoulder rig, lens IS, "steadicam"-type system, camera jib, etc. when available or practical. Especially with CMOS-based cameras, to minimize rolling shutter.

But as JB's video shows, pure handheld shooting can yield good results, too.

Cheers.
Last edited by Peter J. DeCrescenzo on Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Sandiford

PostMon Dec 17, 2012 7:01 pm

Rolling shutter is an often overstated issue. Act of Valor, all the action sequences were filmed on 5d mk2's ( as was 75% of the film) which has worse rolling shutter than the bmcc.

Charles Appleboot

PostTue Dec 18, 2012 3:57 am

Thanks to the three of you for your responses :)

Peter, it does adress my concerns. Thank you very much for taking the time to point me to those two videos.
I've also watched some others like a Macro test (in which you can see a lot of RS) done completely handheld and without IS, but I think shooting subjects that close in that way is just asking for it.

The camera's Rolling Shutter might not be that big of an issue after all. Something to have in mind, but not a deal breaker when contemplating the MFT.

Again, thanks to the three of you.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostTue Dec 18, 2012 5:36 pm

Just to add: A few years ago, when CMOS sensors were relatively new in video cameras, Panasonic created a video to demonstrate shooting techniques that can be used to minimize rolling shutter artifacts. Most of the info is still relevant:

sean mclennan

PostTue Dec 18, 2012 7:09 pm

Excellent link Peter! Thanks for posting great reference material (as usual)

sean

Return to Cinematography