1.2 beta firmware update

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

John Richard

Re: 1.2 beta firmware update

PostSun Jan 13, 2013 3:27 pm

Well just having rec'ed this beauty and the fact that we had intended the lens workhorses to be our Canon 35mm/1.4 (wonderful lens) and Tokina EF 11-16, we're obviously curious WHEN this 1.2 firmware update announced back in Sept will be available.

Any news would be much appreciated.
Last edited by John Richard on Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nelson Villamil

PostSun Jan 13, 2013 8:31 pm

Hi Guys

I am sure we are all outstanding new firmware for the camera.

Anyone have news????

:roll: :idea: :arrow:

Tom Sefton

PostTue Jan 15, 2013 2:06 pm

bump - any more news regarding the 1.2 firmware update?
Tom Sefton
Owner
Pollen Studio
www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Alex Tissot

PostTue Jan 15, 2013 5:08 pm

WHERE IS THE 1.2 BETA FIRMWARE?
WHO HAS THE 1.2 BETA FIRMWARE?

___PLEASE SHARE__
https://vimeo.com/user5198817

sean mclennan

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 4:28 pm

This is why I think beta testing should be private. Everyone will be asking this, non stop, until they get it.

Only make the beta features public within a week or two of shipping...

John Richard

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 12:10 am

You may be right about avoiding the annoyance factor of postings, but I for one, find it very helpful and hopeful that certain features are on the way as well as fixes such as the lens communication missing for the 35MM/1.4 lens.

I applaud BM for allowing the experienced beta testers to report these hopeful developments.

Of course it is also a wise move to strictly control who has the beta firmware for testing so as to maintain the validity of the testing to trusted and experienced folks as opposed to spending time chasing down false problems due to operator error resulting from the beta firmware distributed willy-nilly without control.

Another example of why announcing in advance what is in the next firmware is the missing audio levels issue. Many of us are just down rigging out the cameras we are receiving. We now know that the next firmware probably won't address in camera recording of audio and being able to see levels. So we know we have to find another solution such as the Juiced Link Riggy Assist and how to calibrate the meters on it. If we did not have this advance idea roughly of what was coming in the next firmware, we would be in the dark on what to for current usage. I also know we won't have to make a purchase to replace the non-working 35mm/1.4 Canon lens.

I think BM is doing firmware beta just right. Of course we users want it faster, but as error free as possible is surely more important.

sean mclennan

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 12:23 am

John Richard wrote:Another example of why announcing in advance what is in the next firmware is the missing audio levels issue. Many of us are just down rigging out the cameras we are receiving. We now know that the next firmware probably won't address in camera recording of audio and being able to see levels. So we know we have to find another solution such as the Juiced Link Riggy Assist and how to calibrate the meters on it. If we did not have this advance idea roughly of what was coming in the next firmware, we would be in the dark on what to for current usage. I also know we won't have to make a purchase to replace the non-working 35mm/1.4 Canon lens.

But you don't. You're assuming based on preliminary testing. It's beta. It can change. Also, some features might be included, like audio levels, but they ask the testers not to speak about them because they're not sure they'll be done in time. Buyers beware. You shouldn't be making any sort of purchasing or logistical planning based on "beta" info. Look how many people on this forum say they have a big project that they can't do since their BMCC didn't ship in time. Wonder what their customers think of them?!

It's product development. To the un-initiated, it's confusing and sets unrealistic expectations. I love feedback and open communication, but going public is very different that selectively engaging your users. This is why we have beta programs to begin with.

John Richard

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 1:17 am

Respectfully disagree.
Holding off a green lighted project waiting for the BMCC to arrive is not nearly the same as making temporary workaround decisions on an upcoming firmware.

In our case, since some corporate videos we are doing are only budgeted for a grip and myself, double sound system is out (sort of). So I can either buy an inexpensive Juiced Riggy Assist (a good purchase due to quieter/better preamp) to get me audio levels for recording to the BMCC ... or bring along another of our cams with a nanoFlash and use it for clapper/slate sync (sort of double sound I guess).
And for the non-controllable Iris on the Canon 35mm/1.4 (wonderful glass) I can workaround by slapping a variable fader ND filter and ride based on camera zebras instead of purchasing expensive glass replacement since a fix is probably on it's way in 1.2.

So in my case the advance tentative components of 1.2 is a big help vs the annoyance of reading (or not) complaining posts about 1.2 firmware. It is nice to know a little about what is the focus of the next firmware potential - yes, only potential until it is released.

sean mclennan

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 4:02 pm

respectfully disagreeing is what makes the internet a wonderful place! 8-)

Christian Schmeer

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 11:10 pm

Any chance the 1.2 Firmware might be released before February now that more cameras are shipping? (or maybe reach "Public Beta" status?)
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

Dustin Uy

PostFri Jan 18, 2013 2:19 pm

cant wait. :(
hope theres more helpful features than what was previously announced (like audio metering)
Previous

Return to Cinematography