ETTR and the future

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Rakesh Malik

Re: ETTR and the future

PostMon Jun 22, 2015 11:59 pm

Tom wrote:
You would toggle it on or off to check your lighting - so it need not be on the entire time.

Thanks for those examples. I'm going to start getting myself used to using false color now. :)
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Tom

PostTue Jun 23, 2015 7:06 am

Rakesh Malik wrote:
Tom wrote:
You would toggle it on or off to check your lighting - so it need not be on the entire time.

Thanks for those examples. I'm going to start getting myself used to using false color now. :)

I would gladly sacrifice in camera formatting, timelapse, audiometers, histogram, and maybe even frame guides just to have false colour in camera.

Many monitors do have it as a feature but the nature of my work often lends itself to a more stripped down rig - and when I do have an ext monitor, its generally for the director instead of me. So having False Colour on the in camera LCD would be a dream come true.

I quite like the Marshall colour pallet but the Arri one is also quite good.
Tom Majerski
Colourist at Tracks and Layers
http://www.Tracksandlayers.com
Motion Graphics - Colour Grading - VFX

Anna Petrova

PostTue Jun 23, 2015 8:52 am

Tom wrote:I would gladly sacrifice in camera formatting, timelapse, audiometers, histogram, and maybe even frame guides just to have false colour in camera.

Agree. And, if possible, to have it switchable between two modes:
1. As is (no false color)
2. False color only.

Tom

PostTue Jun 23, 2015 9:03 am

Anna Petrova wrote:
Tom wrote:I would gladly sacrifice in camera formatting, timelapse, audiometers, histogram, and maybe even frame guides just to have false colour in camera.

2. False color only.

Yea - I don't think they would ever have it so that you cant turn it off ;-)
Tom Majerski

rick.lang

PostTue Jun 23, 2015 6:12 pm

Anna Petrova wrote:

2. False color only.

Anna, I don't know if you are in the market for an URSA or URSA Mini, but the new Blackmagic ViewFinder, BMVF, includes false colour as confirmed by CaptainHook. At least on those two cameras, having the tightly integrated BMVF OLED with false colour is likely even better than having it supported in camera on the built-in camera monitor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Anna Petrova

PostTue Jun 23, 2015 8:54 pm

Thank you, Rick, i mostly agree. It is rather rhetorical exclamation!
Because of BMVF marketing, i don't really expect it in cams, but i'd love to.
Also, would love to have that False Color inside the Resolve.

Jim Cullen

PostFri Jun 26, 2015 2:20 pm

I had a chance to look at PaulDelVecchio's images on a proper screen. They look great - I'd be chuffed to bits with them. And I saw Tom's image of the kitchen surface which looks fine - harder to judge as there are no people in frame.

My images from the BMCC don't look that good. Is it 1. The way I expose the image? 2. The way I grade the image (though this is a DNG I've linked to) 3. Does my camera not look as good as others (seems unlikely)?

I exposed the image (contained via the link) at 400 ISO as advised. I could see on a waveform monitor the highlights squaring off at 800 ISO. When I reduced the ISO from 800 ISO to 400 ISO they remained squared off, but moved down in value.

Alright, the sky is blown, but I was prioritising the skins tones - taking light meter readings in the shade where I was sitting. Is anyone able to show me that this image can look good, I see it as too sharp, green-ish, noisy with moire patterning on my glasses.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bn1xrvf1juiqevj/2015-05-17_1855_C0002_000686.dng?dl=0
Jim Cullen

rick.lang

ETTR and the future

PostFri Jun 26, 2015 4:04 pm

Jim, if you are seeing the highlights (sky) squared off on the monitor, then you need to increase the strength of your ND or stop down your iris. You'll still be ETTR but not clipping the sky if that's important. You can't expose for the skin as you would normally if you want to retain some colour and detail in the sky. But doing that, your midtones (skin) will need to be raised in post.

When we are advised to "feed the sensor" if we are shooting raw, that only makes sense if you also protect the highlights that you want to retain. Once you blow the highlights in your raw exposure, you can't recover detail. One of the ways to ensure you can see detail and colour in post is setting zebras a bit below 100% so that no channel exceeds the range of the sensor. Apparently zebras only show when all colour channels are blown, but it won't give you accurate colour if you blow blue while retaining green and red. If you want good sky, safer to set zebras to 85% or less.

Last edited by rick.lang on Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rick Lang

Tom

PostFri Jun 26, 2015 4:08 pm

Not sure exactly of what you are after

Here is a fairly simple and neutral grade.

http://tommajerski.com/publicimages/dng2015.jpg

I haven't tried to do any localised fixes such as moire or anything -

Nice view by the way!
Tom Majerski

John Clark

PostFri Jun 26, 2015 4:28 pm

rick.lang wrote:J
When we are advised to "feed the sensor" if we are shooting raw, that only makes sense if you also,protect the highlights that you want to retain.

Feed the sensor... none too much...

In the image, I wasn't able to see the original 'dropbox' image, but the graded version... this would be a case where one would put ND covering on the window, if one wanted detail in the sky. The range between the interior and exterior is too great.

Film film would have behaved the same way.

There essentially two ways to handle such situations... boost the interior light to match the exterior, or cut the exterior...

Sounds like the exterior was far and away too bright, if by dropping the effective ISO value a stop, no difference in the wave form was seen... probably needed to be dropped 3-4 stops, and then the interior would be 'too' dark to adjust with some curves magic in post, without producing probably ugly noise in the darker areas.

I shot with my BMPCC a week ago outdoors, and used RAW @ 800. I was able to bring the overcast sky down to see gradation. Since the event was a 'colorfest' (aka Holi) I didn't mind the darker values for the nonsky elements, as it added to the 'saturation' of the colors.

rick.lang

PostFri Jun 26, 2015 4:40 pm

Balancing the interior and exterior light certainly is an option to reduce the scene's dynamic range as you mentioned. Looking at the image, I think just bringing the exterior down by one stop or slightly more (ND or aperture, not ISO) might have done the trick without destroying the interior. Agree balancing with a gel will really help when shooting beside a window including sky.

Rick Lang

jpaines

PostFri Jun 26, 2015 5:31 pm

In this case, you could have probably salvaged the sky, without rendering the foreground too dark to be recovered later -- there's often a lot more leeway than you'd expect, with either RAW or ProRes.

As for the image itself -- you're dealing with an "available light" set, which is rarely going to be inherently dramatic, particularly with these strong contrasts. It's possible to burn and dodge (to use the old darkroom terms) and play with saturation in Resolve, to make it more dramatic or aesthetically pleasing, if that's what you want. But those choices will be a matter of taste.

Jim Cullen

PostSat Jun 27, 2015 10:05 am

Thanks Tom for tinkering with the image. Yeap, we've been lucky enough to buy a family home in Lancs!

I wanted to see the quality of the skins tones one last time as part of this discussion (had I been exposing the image for real, I'd have made more effort with the exposure of the sky). I did slightly move the conversation off the topic of how people have achieved great IQ by shooting an internal with the exterior in-shot.

I sold the camera two days ago, so I've now raised what I can to contribute to the Mini 4.6k purchase. That was my last chance to experiment.

What I've learned is that people have got great results from the BMCC. I can't be critical of the camera. I never completely got to grips with it. The BMCC needs confidence in the other half of the camera - Resolve. I thought the BMPC 4K in Raw was great, probably cause you could more easily get a 'good' image. Roll on July?! and the 4.6k sensor. Which will it be more like?

Thanks, I value this forum - it has some great contributors.
Jim Cullen

PaulDelVecchio

PostSat Jun 27, 2015 2:40 pm

I think the DNG is pretty good. I did these two grades in Resolve and the shot looks good. I did see some magenta tint in the highlights, which I haven't come across when shooting RAW. There's also noise in the blown out sky it seems in the main window but not really so much in the other windows. But still, I like the look of the noise.

Here are two versions. The second, the exposure is brought up a little more. I'm more a fan of the first one, and if I were grading, I'd probably use the first but these are just for illustrative purposes.

Link to JPG: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/236962/DNGTest1_1.1.1.jpg

Link to JPG: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/236962/DNGTest1HE_1.1.2.jpg

For me, it's true, you really do need to use Resolve to get the best results. I've tried using things like After Effects, Colorista, Looks... and my footage never looked as good as processing in Resolve. That goes for both ProRes and especially DNGs.

On a side note, I really don't mind the clipped sky. If you exposed for the sky, your skin tones wouldn't be getting enough light and you could risk noise inside the room. It looks like it was exposed this way on purpose and no one will question it, aside from filmmakers. We don't make movies/videos for filmmakers and techies now, do we? :D
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv

Jim Cullen

PostSat Jun 27, 2015 4:27 pm

Cheers Paul. The skin tones look very natural to my eye (in photoshop / iMac 27-inch). My instinct was to like the second image because it places the skin tones at a point you'd expect to see with most TV stuff, I guess, but you're right, it's nice to get a sense that this place is less bright than the outside world and so the first is probably better for narrative stuff.

The moire is much less apparent. Do you think that is just in the resizing to 1920 x 1080?

I often saw magenta in the highlights and especially when trying highlight recovery in resolve.

You've managed to bring back some detail in the clouds. Did you recover and desaturate the highlights?

PaulDelVecchio wrote:I think the DNG is pretty good. I did these two grades in Resolve and the shot looks good. I did see some magenta tint in the highlights, which I haven't come across when shooting RAW. There's also noise in the blown out sky it seems in the main window but not really so much in the other windows. But still, I like the look of the noise.

Here are two versions. The second, the exposure is brought up a little more. I'm more a fan of the first one, and if I were grading, I'd probably use the first but these are just for illustrative purposes.

Link to JPG: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/236962/DNGTest1_1.1.1.jpg

Link to JPG: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/236962/DNGTest1HE_1.1.2.jpg

For me, it's true, you really do need to use Resolve to get the best results. I've tried using things like After Effects, Colorista, Looks... and my footage never looked as good as processing in Resolve. That goes for both ProRes and especially DNGs.

On a side note, I really don't mind the clipped sky. If you exposed for the sky, your skin tones wouldn't be getting enough light and you could risk noise inside the room. It looks like it was exposed this way on purpose and no one will question it, aside from filmmakers. We don't make movies/videos for filmmakers and techies now, do we? :D
Jim Cullen

PaulDelVecchio

PostSat Jun 27, 2015 5:34 pm

Jim Cullen wrote:Cheers Paul. The skin tones look very natural to my eye (in photoshop / iMac 27-inch). My instinct was to like the second image because it places the skin tones at a point you'd expect to see with most TV stuff, I guess, but you're right, it's nice to get a sense that this place is less bright than the outside world and so the first is probably better for narrative stuff.

The moire is much less apparent. Do you think that is just in the resizing to 1920 x 1080?

I often saw magenta in the highlights and especially when trying highlight recovery in resolve.

You've managed to bring back some detail in the clouds. Did you recover and desaturate the highlights?

I like the first because it has more contrast. I hate when faces seem too flat, but that's my personal preference. I also like things darker.

I think the moire is less apparent because I squash colored noise with a technique I use where I just blur the chroma but not the luminance. Here's a link to the video. Apologies ahead of time for such a verbose and indirect tutorial:

I do this for basically all my footage, as the BMCC sometimes has a lot of chroma noise to my taste. Yes, you can use the noise reduction for just chroma but I prefer the blurring method, as it's not as processor intensive and I think it produces better results. I made a Power Grade out of this so I don't have to build it each time. I throw this on at the beginning of the chain so it gets rid of the noise before any color & contrast changes take place.

For the highlights, I did a mix of desaturating them and evening out the upper highlight color channels using LOG grading on the wheels. I didn't really pull back the highlights, as I was satisfied with the way they looked.

And obviously my first step was to change the color space to BMD FILM.
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv

Jim Cullen

PostSun Jun 28, 2015 8:15 pm

A great tutorial. I'd already watched it, but watched it again. Mental note to refer to that technique with future cameras if necessary.

PaulDelVecchio wrote:
Jim Cullen wrote:Cheers Paul. The skin tones look very natural to my eye (in photoshop / iMac 27-inch). My instinct was to like the second image because it places the skin tones at a point you'd expect to see with most TV stuff, I guess, but you're right, it's nice to get a sense that this place is less bright than the outside world and so the first is probably better for narrative stuff.

I like the first because it has more contrast. I hate when faces seem too flat, but that's my personal preference. I also like things darker.

I think the moire is less apparent because I squash colored noise with a technique I use where I just blur the chroma but not the luminance. Here's a link to the video. Apologies ahead of time for such a verbose and indirect tutorial:

I do this for basically all my footage, as the BMCC sometimes has a lot of chroma noise to my taste. Yes, you can use the noise reduction for just chroma but I prefer the blurring method, as it's not as processor intensive and I think it produces better results. I made a Power Grade out of this so I don't have to build it each time. I throw this on at the beginning of the chain so it gets rid of the noise before any color & contrast changes take place.

For the highlights, I did a mix of desaturating them and evening out the upper highlight color channels using LOG grading on the wheels. I didn't really pull back the highlights, as I was satisfied with the way they looked.

And obviously my first step was to change the color space to BMD FILM.
Jim Cullen

Eness Keremeness

PostMon Jul 13, 2015 2:09 pm

on bmpc 4k will work ETTR just like in yout post?

Tom wrote:Lighting ratios would be the same relatively speaking whether ETTR or not.

There is no reason to have to instruct your colourist to drop the exposure - just set it in camera.

Expose for 400 and you are ETTR by 1 stop.
Expose for 200 and you are ETTR by 2 stops.

As demonstrated in this test - it shouldnt affect the final image by setting it to either 200 or 400 in camera for raw - rather than 800 and then adjusting it to the correct level in post:

For ProRes or DNxHD - you would want to do the pulling in camera before compression anyway - so again, set it to the correct level in camera.

As an added bonus - it makes it much easier to monitor on the LCD.

There is no reason I can think of to film in an ETTR process and still have the camera set to 800.

With the 4.6k sensor claimed to be 800 ISO I really hope if I go with it (my third BM cam), which seems likely, it's not designed to require you to ETTR.

I also felt the BMCC may have been designed this way for marketing reasons and the claimed DR.

The camera is not "designed to require you to ETTR" - it just has a sufficiently high bit depth towards the top end to allow it to be possible in the first place. For the sake of argument - lets assume that the camera does indeed capture a full 13 stops of DR - and you want to film which happens to contain that level of difference in the light levels. You would need to shoot this at 800 - as this is where the signal is not boosted or attenuated digitally - giving you a completely captured scene.

In reality - many many scenes either A) don't contain that massive range or B) the parts of a shot which are above a certain point are not important to capture, such as the sun or a specular highlight.
So in these situations - because the camera has such a high bit depth (22bits before DSP to 16) - you can decide to either:
A) keep it at 800 and not fully use the entire range
B) Shift your exposure slightly to more fully saturate the sensor, giving a better signal to noise ratio and thus cleaner image.

This option is not a bad thing, or a design - it is just possible because of how the camera works.

Many cameras effectively allow for it to different degrees - Even the 5D Mkii with its ASA 50 - that is ETTR by 1 stop. It digitally reduces the image from 100 by 1 stop to achieve it. It gives you less range but a cleaner image.

Its a choice not a requirement.

Having the option is never a bad thing.

Would you rather have 800 and not be able to get a cleaner image at lower values????
I cannot fathom how this is somehow considered a bad thing.

Tom

PostMon Jul 13, 2015 3:21 pm

Eness Keremeness wrote:on bmpc 4k will work ETTR just like in yout post?

Tom wrote:Lighting ratios would be the same relatively speaking whether ETTR or not.

There is no reason to have to instruct your colourist to drop the exposure - just set it in camera.

Expose for 400 and you are ETTR by 1 stop.
Expose for 200 and you are ETTR by 2 stops.

As demonstrated in this test - it shouldnt affect the final image by setting it to either 200 or 400 in camera for raw - rather than 800 and then adjusting it to the correct level in post:

For ProRes or DNxHD - you would want to do the pulling in camera before compression anyway - so again, set it to the correct level in camera.

As an added bonus - it makes it much easier to monitor on the LCD.

There is no reason I can think of to film in an ETTR process and still have the camera set to 800.

With the 4.6k sensor claimed to be 800 ISO I really hope if I go with it (my third BM cam), which seems likely, it's not designed to require you to ETTR.

I also felt the BMCC may have been designed this way for marketing reasons and the claimed DR.

The camera is not "designed to require you to ETTR" - it just has a sufficiently high bit depth towards the top end to allow it to be possible in the first place. For the sake of argument - lets assume that the camera does indeed capture a full 13 stops of DR - and you want to film which happens to contain that level of difference in the light levels. You would need to shoot this at 800 - as this is where the signal is not boosted or attenuated digitally - giving you a completely captured scene.

In reality - many many scenes either A) don't contain that massive range or B) the parts of a shot which are above a certain point are not important to capture, such as the sun or a specular highlight.
So in these situations - because the camera has such a high bit depth (22bits before DSP to 16) - you can decide to either:
A) keep it at 800 and not fully use the entire range
B) Shift your exposure slightly to more fully saturate the sensor, giving a better signal to noise ratio and thus cleaner image.

This option is not a bad thing, or a design - it is just possible because of how the camera works.

Many cameras effectively allow for it to different degrees - Even the 5D Mkii with its ASA 50 - that is ETTR by 1 stop. It digitally reduces the image from 100 by 1 stop to achieve it. It gives you less range but a cleaner image.

Its a choice not a requirement.

Having the option is never a bad thing.

Would you rather have 800 and not be able to get a cleaner image at lower values????
I cannot fathom how this is somehow considered a bad thing.

The 4k Production camera allows for some ETTR - but because it has a lower dynamic range than the cinema or pocket camera - it is not possible expose to the right to the same amount. The native sensitivity is also lower - 400 on the 4k cam vs 800 on the cinema and pocket cam.

Exposing for 200 on the 4k cam is Exposing to the right by 1 stop.
Exposing for 400 on the 4k cam is Exposing for the native ASA - or Centre
Exposing for 800 on the 4k cam is exposing to the LEFT by 1 stop (under exposing)

The 4k camera doesn't retain the same level of quality up to 100% clipping as the cinema and Pocket camera, so you need to be extra careful about clipping a single colour channel. I recommend setting your Zebra's to 90% instead of 100% on the 4k production camera.
Tom Majerski

Robert Niessner

PostMon Jul 13, 2015 8:48 pm

Jim - I just gave your DNG a try:

Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Scott Stacy

PostMon Jul 13, 2015 9:50 pm

I have seen three movies in the last week. Two were shot on film and 1 on Alexa. All movies had at least 10-12 scenes where the sky and/or specular highlights were totally blown out with properly exposed objects or subjects (that did not look windowed in post). Sky detail can, at times, be highly overrated ;) - unless the sky is your subject :)
Scott Stacy, CSI
Colorist

Windows 10
HP Z8
RTX2080ti (x2)
Intel Xeon Gold 18 Core
128 RAM
NVME M.2 Samsung 970 2TB (x4)
Resolve 17.4

sean mclennan

PostTue Jul 14, 2015 4:32 am

ooo, I love playing with other people's DNGs!!

Jim Cullen

PostTue Jul 14, 2015 6:44 pm

The green looks natural as well as the skin tones. Would you tell me how you achieved this grade Robert pls. Did you make use of the chart?

Robert Niessner wrote:Jim - I just gave your DNG a try:

Last edited by Jim Cullen on Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jim Cullen

Jim Cullen

PostTue Jul 14, 2015 6:47 pm

Hi Sean - looks good (not me...the grade)

sean mclennan wrote:ooo, I love playing with other people's DNGs!!

Jim Cullen

Robert Niessner

PostWed Jul 15, 2015 11:17 am

Jim Cullen wrote:The green looks natural as well as the skin tones. Would you tell me how you achieved this grade Robert pls. Did you make use of the chart?

Jim, I didn't use the chart.

This was done with Adobe Camera Raw in AE.
I just changed the greens more to the blue side and saturated it a bit. With outside shots I normally de-saturate the greens a bit to give them a more natural appearance.

You can download the AE project here:

JimCullen.zip

Just take care not to push the highlights and shadows settings that far as I did or you get flickering. I normally set the shadows at +45 max and highlights at -45 max.

You have to use color management in AE project settings and export to get the same look as you have set in ACR otherwise colors will look much too saturated.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Hundo Hill

PostWed Jul 15, 2015 6:01 pm

I sure as hell was confused!! I saw that D. Chapman also noted the confusing information, appreciate the clarification!!

Lee Gauthier wrote:I think we're confusing "expose to the right" (ETTR) with "pushing a stop."

ETTR is the procedure of using the zebras as an exposure guide. You set the camera zebras at 100%, then adjust the aperture until you see no clipping from the zebras. You're exposing as brightly as possible.

"Pushing a stop" is to treat the camera as though it were rated one stop down, so you compensate with brighter light. Meaning the native ISO is 800, if you expose for ISO 400, you're pushing one stop.

The problem with ETTR in a narrative context is that a master and a closeup of the same talent in the same setting may have very different brightness. Exposing both as bright as possible can make for very inconsistent shots. Matching them in post can be very difficult, with poor results.

I've found for narrative projects, using a meter to determine the proper 18% grey/zone V exposure makes for more consistent shots. Rating the camera for 400 ISO (pushing a stop) often gets cleaner results.

Jim Cullen

PostWed Jul 15, 2015 8:30 pm

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, I don't have AE (just CC Photography and Resolve).

So you performed a global change to the greens?..there was no localised selection?

Cheers Robert
Jim

Robert Niessner wrote:
Jim Cullen wrote:The green looks natural as well as the skin tones. Would you tell me how you achieved this grade Robert pls. Did you make use of the chart?

Jim, I didn't use the chart.

This was done with Adobe Camera Raw in AE.
I just changed the greens more to the blue side and saturated it a bit. With outside shots I normally de-saturate the greens a bit to give them a more natural appearance.

You can download the AE project here:

JimCullen.zip

Just take care not to push the highlights and shadows settings that far as I did or you get flickering. I normally set the shadows at +45 max and highlights at -45 max.

You have to use color management in AE project settings and export to get the same look as you have set in ACR otherwise colors will look much too saturated.
Jim Cullen

Nick Papps

PostMon Dec 07, 2015 12:55 am

I'm curious how I can implement a light meter into my work. I film a lot of interviews. I'd like more consistency in my shoots in terms of exposure.

What's a good workflow for using a light meter while maintaining ETTR?

I use a BMPCC+SpeedBooster+Sigma Art 50mm.

Thanks!

Rakesh Malik

PostMon Dec 07, 2015 1:03 am

If you want consistency in your shoots, stop using ETTR.
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Nick Papps

PostMon Dec 07, 2015 1:11 am

Rakesh Malik wrote:If you want consistency in your shoots, stop using ETTR.

Interesting, can you elaborate a bit? Thanks

Nick Papps

PostMon Dec 07, 2015 1:29 am

Just reread others posts! It's becoming clearer!

So, I guess a better question: If I set to 400iso, assuming that's ETTR by 1 stop, how would I know I had the correct exposure?

Rakesh Malik

PostMon Dec 07, 2015 1:35 am

http://www.redsharknews.com/production/ ... about-ettr

Learn how to meter, and pay attention to what's important in your scene, which will usually be skin tones.

Once you get a good handle on what your camera's exposure range is, determining proper exposure for the mood you're seeking to set is easy. It takes some time and experimentation to learn what works for your style and what doesn't, but the technical side of figuring out how much light you need on the shadow vs lit side of a person's face is pretty easy.

That doesn't account for the quality of the light you need, just how much of it. Actually implementing
that requires knowledge of how to manipulate and shape light and how to use the gear you have available.
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Nick Papps

PostMon Dec 07, 2015 1:47 am

Rakesh Malik wrote:http://www.redsharknews.com/production/item/3050-the-truth-about-ettr

Learn how to meter, and pay attention to what's important in your scene, which will usually be skin tones.

Once you get a good handle on what your camera's exposure range is, determining proper exposure for the mood you're seeking to set is easy. It takes some time and experimentation to learn what works for your style and what doesn't, but the technical side of figuring out how much light you need on the shadow vs lit side of a person's face is pretty easy.

That doesn't account for the quality of the light you need, just how much of it. Actually implementing
that requires knowledge of how to manipulate and shape light and how to use the gear you have available.

Thank you Rakesh!

This part of your article has me thinking now: "With 13 or more stops of dynamic range, when skin tones are exposed at 18% gray, in most cases only specular highlights will be clipped."

C.A.M. Gerlach

PostMon Dec 07, 2015 5:52 am

Thanks for the article, Mr. Malik. In general, it seems a good idea to keep in mind that different exposure techniques apply to different situations and shooting styles, as opposed to one rule, including ETTR, to cover all of them--and in the modern age shooting raw off a good sensor, like hopefully the 4.6K, the exist a variety of techniques that will ensure at least acceptable results in most situations. However, I have a few questions and comments for you:

Something I didn't notice in the article, and in most such on these sorts of topics, was the critical distinction between the technical exposure settings one acquires at in camera, and the final exposure of the resulting image, and that and the relative exposures of the objects in your scene (i.e. your lighting design and ratios). Where I see a misunderstanding is people confusing ETTR, which only concerns the first, as a replacement for doing either of the latter two properly, which is certainly not the case. The nature of raw capture inherently means the final (overall) exposure of the resulting image is subject to the interpretation of the image by the raw converter and the colorist to achieve the desired look, which assuming proper technical/camera exposure practice (ETTR or otherwise) is followed, can be darkened indefinitely and brightened as far as one is comfortable with raising the noise floor.

On the other hand, camera exposure, for a digital sensor, is all about capturing optimal data, and on a modern camera unless one desires to expose for something many, many stops under the brightest non specular highlight in the scene and one is okay with clipping significant portions of those highlights, ETTR will ensure optimal image data capture in a given scene. There may be convenience benefits for not doing so in terms of the monitored image not needing a quick exposure adjustment to roughly match the desired end product or other shots, but ETTR ensures that exposures can easily be matched to any particular surface or object in post--exposing for ETTR doesn't substantially change the relative values of the recorded data, but rather just shifts its values to ensure minimum contamination by unwanted noise or clipped highlights.

Most of the time, one can get away with not doing it given the wide DR and low noise of the best sensors making the difference in the final result much less perceptible, but I'd imagine that optimal SNR with no clipping would come in handy for keying/effects work in particular, along with other high quality applications, but other than slight inconvenience I certainly can't see how it could really hurt when used appropriately (i.e. ignoring specular highlights and in extreme situations, not trying to save a highlight way too many stops above your actual subjects). Plus, it being relatively straightforward to execute with an appropriate exposure aid allows you to spend your time, effort and talent doing more important things, like lighting your scene properly with appropriate ratios, or what have you.

This is not to say folks in the celluloid days weren't setting technical exposure for optimal data capture--they were, and that's exactly what exposing for the midtones/skin/18% grey was designed to do, matching the response curve of film (and most current and past display technologies, which is why we also aim for it in post). However, the simple fact is that digital sensors behave very differently, and while this older technique may still work adequately in most situations for camera technical exposure on a good sensor, it is generally not as optimal as ETTR, which was designed with the strengths and limitations of silicon in mind.

Rakesh Malik wrote:I've also heard explanations about pushing the image data into the high order bits rather than low order bits of the value representing each pixel, which is based on a misunderstanding of what high and low order bits are, and how they represent numbers. There's a misconception that the high order bits are for bigger numbers, but in reality, every 16-bit number is represented by two bytes, and how they're ordered changes nothing, with the exception being those who write assembly code. Even C abstracts this away from developers.

You had a pretty succient and spot on description of the SNR benefits of ETTR (although it might have been helpful to link that to wider effective captured DR due to maximizing the number of stops above any given SNR threshold). However, your explanation of the increased bit depth utilization in certain scenarios was rather confusing, especially without making the distinction between linear vs. log raw. I'm unsure how abstraction in programming (C was my first language, incidentally, and I've been working in Java a lot recently (ugh) which sure loves its abstraction) has all that much to do with the situation.

The inherent limitation of linear Raw, which is what log Raw is made to overcome, is that its bit budget is very disproportionately skewed toward the hgihlights, which each stop getting exponentially more bits to work with. Ordering has nothing to do with it. Applying an approximately logarithmic curve to these data, with the start and end points defined by the cam's maximum dynamic range, ensures a more balanced distribution of bit precision closer to that of the human visual system, and thus mitigates this problem. However, for those using linear raw, ETTR has the additional benefit of ensuring the desired image data are captured in as high precision as possible, rather than wasting (say) 1/2 of the possible values/levels of a given channel by exposing even only a stop below what ETTR would recommend. With log raw, strict ETTR isn't so crucial and leaving a little headroom doesn't hurt, but you still get assurance of high SNR and highlight recovery by adhering to ETTR with whatever margin of headroom you are comfortable with.

Rakesh Malik wrote:Changes in color and brightness from one shot to the next can be distracting, so the images need to match pretty closely. Using ETTR often makes that more difficult than it needs to be, especially since in addition to making skin tones vary from clip-to-clip, other characteristics like noise will vary from clip-to-clip as well.

I'm wondering what additional post work would be necessary to make an image with a camera exposure determined via ETTR match that determined, say, based on getting skin tones near a certain exposure target in camera, other than simply tweaking the image's exposure in post to achieve said value on the skin tones, with likely greater speed and precision than if done in camera? Same for matching overall exposure between two different shots; heck, if you stick a grey card in the frame for both, matching exposures in post only takes a few clicks, and you didn't spend tedious time in camera doing the same thing only to capture less optimal data anyway. Oof course, you can always bias your apparent/displayed exposure in camera and in post anyway with setting a different ISO in metadata, removing much of the convenience advantage.

With regard to noise, given most or all of the digital cinema cameras only have one analog ISO, differences in noise level as a result of ETTR essentially vanish once a quick exposure match is performed, and in any event the amount of noise in ETTRed shots will more than likely be lower than the equivalent for a legacy exposure method, assuming the latter did not undesirably clip.

Rakesh Malik wrote:With most modern cinema cameras these days, with wide exposure latitude and logarithmic highlight rolloff, it's relatively easy to protect most of the hightlights. When using ETTR, it requires a lot more care than when exposing properly...when skin tones are exposed at 18% gray, in most cases only specular highlights will be clipped.

I'm not sure what you mean when you state that ETTR requires more care to protect highlights than exposing "properly" (I'd question what, other than ETTR, would constitute an objective definition of "proper" technical/camera exposure, but I digress...). Given, if executed properly, it will essentially ensure that no highlights are clipped, as opposed to more traditional technical/camera exposure methods, which you state only work "most" of the time. Why leave that to chance?

Again, ETTR is not ideal for every situation; one must also keep in mind ensuring the darkest areas of the scene are not beyond what you are comfortable recovering, such that in some cases one might decide to sacrifice a few highlights to preserve important shadow detail. But as sensors' DR gets better and better, this is ever more rarely the case, although also, the perceptual (though not absolute) benefits from ETTR diminish accordingly. But I don't see how it is a bad thing or shouldn't be encouraged in most instances, lit or not, particularly given its straightforward implementation gets technical exposure mostly out of the way and allows the DoP and assistants to focus on more important parts of exposure, namely relative/lighting ratios on set, and achieving the desired final look in post. Certainly there's more than one way of getting to any destination, and infinite destinations to reach, so I couldn't criticize anyone for using something different for their situation. But, by the same token, I'd prefer to have a more concrete explanation for someone directly recommending against it.
CAM Gerlach (Christopher A. M. Gerlach)
I am not an expert; take any advice I give with a grain of salt.

Rakesh Malik

PostMon Dec 07, 2015 6:39 am

C.A.M. Gerlach wrote:Thanks for the article, Mr. Malik. In general, it seems a good idea to keep in mind that different exposure techniques apply to different situations and shooting styles, as opposed to one rule, including ETTR, to cover all of them--and in the modern age shooting raw off a good sensor, like hopefully the 4.6K, the exist a variety of techniques that will ensure at least acceptable results in most situations.

The reality is that in most cases, ETTR is usually not the best way to work in cinema, whether using celluloid or digital imaging.

Something I didn't notice in the article, and in most such on these sorts of topics, was the critical distinction between the technical exposure settings one acquires at in camera, and the final exposure of the resulting image, and that and the relative exposures of the objects in your scene (i.e. your lighting design and ratios).

One step at a time... first get rid of ETTR, then learn ratios (that's how I'd teach people to determine exposure when they're starting out).

On the other hand, camera exposure, for a digital sensor, is all about capturing optimal data,

THAT is the misconception. The goal is to make a movie.

roughly match the desired end product or other shots, but ETTR ensures that exposures can easily be matched to any particular surface or object in post--exposing for ETTR doesn't substantially change the relative values of the recorded data, but rather just shifts its values to ensure minimum contamination by unwanted noise or clipped highlights.

ETTR usually ensures that exposures don't match from shot to shot. If the skin tones don't match from shot to shot, it's jarring for example.

Plus, it being relatively straightforward to execute with an appropriate exposure aid allows you to spend your time, effort and talent doing more important things, like lighting your scene properly with is appropriate ratios, or what have you.

I don't see how determining exposure correctly requires any more effort than ETTR. The only difference is that you have to have some idea about how you actually want the image to look in the end. ETTR is great if you really don't have any idea about what you're seeking to execute with the final image, which is why I never use it. I learned without it when I was limited to 3-5 stops of latitude when shooting color, and I had to get the image right when I shot it since I didn't have a preview to check.

You had a pretty succient and spot on description of the SNR benefits of ETTR (although it might have been helpful to link that to wider effective captured DR due to maximizing the number of stops above any given SNR threshold). However, your explanation of the increased bit depth utilization in certain scenarios was rather confusing, especially without making the distinction between linear vs. log raw. I'm unsure how abstraction in programming (C was my first language, incidentally, and I've been working in Java a lot recently (ugh) which sure loves its abstraction) has all that much to do with the situation.

Several explanations for why one should use ETTR were based on low vs high order bits, based on the belief that high order bits are used to represent big numbers and low order bits are used to represent small ones, which isn't true. A sensor with 16-bit ADC uses 16 bits to quantize every value. The byte ordering isn't relevant... unless you're writing the code that handles the quantization or the code that handles image processing, either in camera or in post.

The inherent limitation of linear Raw, which is what log Raw is made to overcome, is that its bit budget is very disproportionately skewed toward the hgihlights, which each stop getting exponentially more bits to work with. Ordering has nothing to do with it.

In other words you agree that ordering has nothing to do with it.

I'm wondering what additional post work would be necessary to make an image with a camera exposure determined via ETTR match that determined, say, based on getting skin tones near a certain exposure target in camera, other than simply tweaking the image's exposure in post to achieve said value on the skin tones, with likely greater speed and precision than if done in camera?

You just described the opposite of reality. The way to make it easy to match skin tones in post is to get them right in camera in the first place.

Same for matching overall exposure between two different shots; heck, if you stick a grey card in the frame for both, matching exposures in post only takes a few clicks, and you didn't spend tedious time in camera doing the same thing only to capture less optimal data anyway. Oof course, you can always bias your apparent/displayed exposure in camera and in post anyway with setting a different ISO in metadata, removing much of the convenience advantage.

That doesn't necessarily match shots, though it will most of the time get you in the ballpark.

I'm not sure what you mean when you state that ETTR requires more care to protect highlights than exposing "properly" (I'd question what, other than ETTR, would constitute an objective definition of "proper" technical/camera exposure, but I digress...). Given, if executed properly, it will essentially ensure that no highlights are clipped, as opposed to more traditional technical/camera exposure methods, which you state only work "most" of the time. Why leave that to chance?

If you're striving to overexpose your image, you're pushing highlights closer to clipping. That should be obvious. There are situations where traditional exposure isn't possible; if you simply don't have enough light to bring up the exposure to where you have it in every other shot for example, then obviously you have to do something else.

But I don't see how it is a bad thing or shouldn't be encouraged in most instances, lit or not, particularly given its straightforward implementation gets technical exposure mostly out of the way and allows the DoP and assistants to focus on more important parts of exposure, namely relative/lighting ratios on set, and achieving the desired final look in post.

That's precisely why it should be discouraged for the most part. It's the opposite of getting the exposure + ratios correct, doesn't save any work in production, and adds work in post. It really is a no-brainer... provided that you have a vision for the project at hand, but most "cinematographers" these days don't, so they rely on ETTR because they don't know what look they're going for.
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

John Brawley

PostMon Dec 07, 2015 8:19 am

I second Rekesh here.

ETTR is OK for individual shots, but if you're trying to cut a sequence of shots together (aka drama) then you just end up with a sequence that is all over the place and not gradable.

If you like what ETTR does, then you can just simply overexpose your base exposure. Rate you camera at 400 instead of 800 for example. That way you're still keeping your shot to shot exposure consistent.

Otherwise you rollercoaster your exposure and it will never match in the grade.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

C.A.M. Gerlach

PostMon Dec 07, 2015 3:52 pm

John Brawley wrote:If you like what ETTR does, then you can just simply overexpose your base exposure. Rate you camera at 400 instead of 800 for example. That way you're still keeping your shot to shot exposure consistent.
As long as you don't let significant highlights clip, this more or less is ETTR--perhaps not as precise or aggressive, but in a way that minimizes inconvenience in post as you say while still gaining most of the benefit.
John Brawley wrote:ETTR is OK for individual shots, but if you're trying to cut a sequence of shots together (aka drama) then you just end up with a sequence that is all over the place and not gradable.
Given you have a lot of direct experience in this, maybe you could answer the question I posed above. Specifically, I'm not sure I understand how a properly done ETTRed camera exposure for multiple shots (along with rating or monitoring at something closer to the final result) can result in shots that cannot be matched in post by simply spot-checking the exposure of a greycard, face, skin etc. (whatever you'd be metering for in camera in camera) and setting each to a consistent, matching value? Given that otherwise you'd have to take the time to meter and set your exposure in camera to match this anyway using such exposure techniques, I'm not sure I understand the disadvantage of letting the camera just capture at its optimal exposure and then spending the time (possibly less, and I'd imagine no more) in post setting the exposure as you would in camera. You certainly know what you're doing if anyone does, so I imagine I'm missing something here.

John Clark

PostMon Dec 07, 2015 4:30 pm

C.A.M. Gerlach wrote:
John Brawley wrote:If you like what ETTR does, then you can just simply overexpose your base exposure. Rate you camera at 400 instead of 800 for example. That way you're still keeping your shot to shot exposure consistent.
As long as you don't let significant highlights clip, this more or less is ETTR--perhaps not as precise or aggressive, but in a way that minimizes inconvenience in post as you say while still gaining most of the benefit.
John Brawley wrote:ETTR is OK for individual shots, but if you're trying to cut a sequence of shots together (aka drama) then you just end up with a sequence that is all over the place and not gradable.
Given you have a lot of direct experience in this, maybe you could answer the question I posed above. Specifically, I'm not sure I understand how a properly done ETTRed camera exposure for multiple shots (along with rating or monitoring at something closer to the final result) can result in shots that cannot be matched in post by simply spot-checking the exposure of a greycard, face, skin etc. (whatever you'd be metering for in camera in camera) and setting each to a consistent, matching value? Given that otherwise you'd have to take the time to meter and set your exposure in camera to match this anyway using such exposure techniques, I'm not sure I understand the disadvantage of letting the camera just capture at its optimal exposure and then spending the time (possibly less, and I'd imagine no more) in post setting the exposure as you would in camera. You certainly know what you're doing if anyone does, so I imagine I'm missing something here.

In essence that's what the recommendation for using ISO 400 rather than 800 does. But it is 'consistent', and as such, if there are shifts, they will be consistent across shots.

When I 'meter' a scene via my reflectance meter, I am checking highlights, mids, lows. I expose for the 'important' element, often the face of talent for narrative film work, and then I check to see if the high values in the scene are 'blown'... and if they are... I have to make a decision... keep my exposure, let the highlights to where they may... or adjust down. (As a note, when I use incident metering, I usually am interested in the contribution of specific lights. So I tend to point the meter 'at the light' rather than take the general 'total' falling on the subject... ).

Likewise for the low values in the scene...

The main thing is consistency and 'knowing' what the resulting levels will be in the recorded media.

With that in mind, I try to keep 'fair skin' values 1 stop above my reflectance meter reading... now... someone may say I'm 'exposing to the right', but in reality, I'm adjusting the exposure to match the reflectance of the skin. In the case of a dark complexion person, I'd perhaps stop down one stop... ie 'expose to the left'... and because dark skin can meld with 'shadow'... use lighting to give as much facial outline as I think necessary for a 'good' shot... not just a 'good exposure'...

On the other hand... for a recent 48 Hour film project, I pretty much 'shot' so I could to get 'something' on record... because there was no option for reshoot or futzing with grading...

I would have liked to have shot the short film over several weekends, and taken the time, reshoot if the twilight had 'gone too dark', etc.... and I would not say that sort of thing should become 'recommended' practice...

C.A.M. Gerlach

PostMon Dec 07, 2015 7:22 pm

Rakesh Malik wrote:One step at a time... first get rid of ETTR, then learn ratios (that's how I'd teach people to determine exposure when they're starting out).

ETTR and lighting ratios are two completely separate tools for two completely separate purposes (camera/absolute exposure, i.e. what your camera captures at and relative/lighting ratios, i.e. how your scene ends up looking), and can quite happily coexist, but neither replaces the need for the other, nor knowledge of how you want your final scene to look. The problem seems to be is that, as I stated, folks inexperienced with one or both often conflate the two or think ETTR replaces the need for the others, which is as I stated quite false. However, I'd imagine it is very difficult to decouple these different exposures after shooting in a certain film-optimal style that conflates them.
On the other hand, camera exposure, for a digital sensor, is all about capturing optimal data,

THAT is the misconception. The goal is to make a movie.

...that looks fantastic, and while most of that is down to lighting, acting, set design, etc., the logical extension of the argument that setting technical/camera exposure to a non-optimal value for the highest quality image capture is not only not to be encouraged, but to be actively discouraged, equates to telling folks that not only does it not matter that they are shooting in an 8-bit compressed codec, but that it is preferable that they should (and to be fair, there's plenty one can do with that given sufficient lighting, precise exposure optimal for that format (as close as possible to the final product) and, of course, skill and creative vision/direction. But will it produce the best results over a wide variety of scenes? No.). Is the IQ difference usually as substantial? Generally not, on a good sensor, and like you say film-legacy exposure techniques usually deliver good enough results for the best digital sensors. What I don't understand is why you are actively telling people that not only are they fine with good enough (which they may well be), but they should avoid anything potentially better?
ETTR usually ensures that exposures don't match from shot to shot. If the skin tones don't match from shot to shot, it's jarring for example.

As stated, ETTR only determines Camera exposure, not desired final exposure or lighting ratios, which are effectively independent of the ETTR determined exposure if you ETTRed correctly so as to not clip highlights and have the highest possible SNR for shadows. I still don't see how ETTR has any effect whatsoever on the relative exposure (lighting ratios) of your scene, other than ensuring that they are captured properly and don't clip, and thus why, in post, matching two ETTRed scenes to whatever you would obtain via a film-optimal exposure technique is any more complex than setting your raw exposure to whatever renders skin tones, say, or a grey card in the appropriate range.
I don't see how determining exposure correctly requires any more effort than ETTR.

Fair enough, if that's true for you I'm not questioning it. But if that is really so quick and simple, than why is it any more complex to utilize said consistent technique you determine to be "correct" for the final image in post, given the above?
The only difference is that you have to have some idea about how you actually want the image to look in the end. ETTR is great if you really don't have any idea about what you're seeking to execute with the final image, which is why I never use it.

Like I keep emphasizing, ETTR does NOT obviate the need to determine your lighting design, level and ratios/relative exposures, nor anything else a cinematographer does on set to determine the look of a scene. It just captures all that hard work in an optimal way. ETTR is a technical tool for optimal camera exposure; just like I can shoot crap on an Alexa if my shots lack purpose, direction, impact, good lighting, etc, etc, ETTR doesn't make a poorly lit, boring scene look great (though it does maximize your ability to make something out of what you have, that can't ever fully replace any of the above).
I learned without it when I was limited to 3-5 stops of latitude when shooting color, and I had to get the image right when I shot it since I didn't have a preview to check.

Right, you learned a camera exposure technique honed over many decades designed to produce optimal results on a medium with quite different characteristics than the one we are discussing. Like an artist trained on canvas, and eventually switching over to murals, you can certainly still produce acceptable results using the old brushes you are comfortable with, and all the same principles of art, design, painting, etc. apply. However, the medium is different (canvas vs. a wall), and thus a different brush, or even paint application tool entirely might be more appropriate for the medium. I certainly don't mean to criticize those setting camera exposure by some other suitable method, particularly given they can still get excellent results thanks to their skill and familiarity with it. What I seek to understand, however, is why they choose to criticize those who do use paint applicator that is designed around the strengths and limitations of the medium.
Several explanations for why one should use ETTR were based on low vs high order bits, based on the belief that high order bits are used to represent big numbers and low order bits are used to represent small ones, which isn't true. A sensor with 16-bit ADC uses 16 bits to quantize every value. The byte ordering isn't relevant... unless you're writing the code that handles the quantization or the code that handles image processing, either in camera or in post.

I'm not referring to its impacts on read noise here (i.e. higher signal levels at the ADC), but rather optimal output data storage in a linear output format--it is the reason that we don't record anything without a gamma curve, whether log raw or compressed 8-bit, unless higher bit depths are employed to partially mitigate it (i.e. 16+ bit linear raw). This has nothing to do with byte order, but rather how channel values are represented in linear space. If we set our clipping point in a channel to be 0x10000, then a value one stop below that is, then, 0x8000, then 0x4000, 0x2000, 0x1000, 0x800, etc. The implication is that, while there are only 8 possible graduations between 0x10 and 0x8, 12 stops under clipping, as opposed to 16,184 between 0x8000 to 0x4000, one stop under clipping, thus allowing much less subtle graduations of color and brightness in the shadows as opposed to the highlights, and minimizing quantaziation noise and banding. This comes into play for all the still camera raw formats, as well as Sony raw, Magic Lateran raw and linear Arri raw.
However, since log raw distributes these bits more evenly, this point is much less relevant, though likely having some small impacts further up the processing chain, after ADC and before log conversion--for example, the Ursa Mini's sensor outputs two 11-bit channels per photosite, which are then combined to produce a 22-bit input, which are processed and converted to the equivalent of 16-bit linear raw (where ETTR might matter a little), the appropriate log-like curve applied, and finally output as a 12-bit log DNG. Although this particular effect is unlikely to be that meaningful for log, it does not negate the benefits of ETTR at maximizing image quality/DR off the chip (photon noise, FPN, dark current noise) and at the ADC (read noise).
The way to make it easy to match skin tones in post is to get them right in camera in the first place.

That doesn't exactly answer my question. Again, I ask--what additional steps in post must be done aside from setting raw exposure off skintones, a grey card, etc. to make an ETTR image match another, or one where the same technique was used to set camera exposure?
That doesn't necessarily match shots, though it will most of the time get you in the ballpark.

Indeed it doesn't for other aspects, but I fail to see in what way it doesn't achieve the same effect as setting your camera exposure for the same point of reference (grey card, skin tones, etc). There might be other issues in matching the shot, but your overall camera exposure doesn't play into this. For real time monitoring, moreover, setting the appropriate display ISO should put you within half a stop of your final product, without affecting your optimal image data from ETTR.
If you're striving to overexpose your image, you're pushing highlights closer to clipping. That should be obvious.

Your highlights may, in most scenarios, be closer to clipping, but note I did say "ETTR properly." A correct ETTR, or even one with some headroom left just as a safety margin, will never clip desired highlights, since technically you aren't "striving to overexpose your image," per say, but rather exposing as high as possible such that your highlights don't clip, with whatever margin of error you're comfortable with. On the other hand, if you just set camera exposure for skin tones, highlight clipping might or might not occur, unless you perform a full zone system analysis (which, in reality, we incorporate the most relevant aspects of in ETTR, by setting our exposure so that the brightest desired tones in the scene fall into the brightest zone point in our final image, while also keeping the darkest desired tones in mind).
There are situations where traditional exposure isn't possible; if you simply don't have enough light to bring up the exposure to where you have it in every other shot for example, then obviously you have to do something else.

Of course, no general guideline for exposure, whether film- or sensor-optimized, will work perfectly in every edge case. That's why blindly ETTRing is no better than blindly using any other method, which I don't think either of us is suggesting.
It's the opposite of getting the exposure + ratios correct

ETTR, strictly speaking, *is* the technically correct camera exposure for a typical (non-extreme-DR) situation. Shooting raw, what you call your grey point can be rather arbitrary; your white point, however, is not. And, as explained multiple times, it has nothing to do with and is not a replacement for getting your ratios correct, it only allows you to capture them optimally.
[It] doesn't save any work in production, and adds work in post.

Only the amount of time/effort it takes to ETTR, which is very little indeed especially with an aid or two (or with a press of the iris button with an EF lens on BM cams, though I'd prefer to do it manually) and assuming you as fast at setting exposure in camera and with a meter than in post. Like it say, it may not always be "worth" the small amount of extra time, but if you are putting so much into the rest of your production, it certainly can't hurt to spend a second capturing it optimally.
provided that you have a vision for the project at hand, but most "cinematographers" these days don't, so they rely on ETTR because they don't know what look they're going for.

This is, of course, a major problem, but has nothing to do with ETTR. It's a product of people assuming that gear or accurate exposure settings will make up for a lack of vision, purpose, or telling a compelling story in visual imagery, something I run into all the time with my photographers for the magazine I work for as the head visual media editor. In particular, we had some problems with two of our new shooters last issue; one delivered shots that somehow had either too green WB inside (in the delivered JPEGs, he shot raw originally), but that exuded an effective, purposeful visual story; the other delivered technically competent material but lacked a clear purpose for most of her shots. Guess who I kept on?

Rakesh Malik

PostMon Dec 07, 2015 10:25 pm

C.A.M. Gerlach wrote:...that looks fantastic, and while most of that is down to lighting, acting, set design, etc., the logical extension of the argument that setting technical/camera exposure to a non-optimal value for the highest quality image capture is not only not to be encouraged, but to be actively discouraged

That's not even close to accurate. Or do you think that people like Roger Deakins and David Mullen (both ASC cinematographers) don't strive for maximal quality?

This idea that ETTR gives you the best image quality is a myth. Like all myths, it has a basis in fact, but it's based mostly on facts that are both out of date and misunderstood, yet repeated as if they're gospel by clueless pundits.

Generally not, on a good sensor, and like you say film-legacy exposure techniques usually deliver good enough results for the best digital sensors. What I don't understand is why you are actively telling people that not only are they fine with good enough (which they may well be), but they should avoid anything potentially better?

I'm not telling them that at all. What I am telling people is to get over the mythical ETTR tripe and develop a vision.

It's not a film legacy technique, it's a good technique. It's not compromising the sensor, it's doing things right from beginning to end. It's getting rid of the fix it in post mentality and learning do things right in production from the outset.

As stated, ETTR only determines Camera exposure, not desired final exposure or lighting ratios,

What you're saying is don't worry about getting it right on set, let the colorist fix it.

I still don't see how ETTR has any effect whatsoever on the relative exposure (lighting ratios) of your scene, other than ensuring that they are captured properly and don't clip, and thus why, in post, matching two ETTRed scenes to whatever you would obtain via a film-optimal exposure technique is any more complex than setting your raw exposure to whatever renders skin tones, say, or a grey card in the appropriate range.

Have you tried it?

I don't see how determining exposure correctly requires any more effort than ETTR.

Fair enough, if that's true for you I'm not questioning it. But if that is really so quick and simple, than why is it any more complex to utilize said consistent technique you determine to be "correct" for the final image in post, given the above?
[/quote]

ETTR doesn't save any work in production, and adds work in post.

Like I keep emphasizing, ETTR does NOT obviate the need to determine your lighting design, level and ratios/relative exposures, nor anything else a cinematographer does on set to determine the look of a scene. It just captures all that hard work in an optimal way.

That isn't true. It's as I pointed out a myth. With modern imaging systems, to get a mythical "optimal" exposure, you need to avoid clipping highlights as much as possible, and make sure that shadows where you want detail aren't getting buried in the noise floor. ETTR adds nothing other than extra work most of the time.

Every once in a while you'll run into a situation where you have to use ETTR to keep things like skin out of the noise floor, but that's an exception rather than a rule, unless you're a Sony A7s/2 user who thinks that high ISO = talent.

Right, you learned a camera exposure technique honed over many decades designed to produce optimal results on a medium with quite different characteristics than the one we are discussing. Like an artist trained on canvas, and eventually switching over to murals, you can certainly still produce acceptable results using the old brushes you are comfortable with, and all the same principles of art, design, painting, etc. apply.

Acceptable? My work gets awards, gallery representation, and jury selections, and like any other professional cinematographer, I don't use ETTR. As far as I'm concerned, I'm going to take the word of the ASC folks a lot more seriously than I'm going to take the word of... well, anyone else.

What I seek to understand, however, is why they choose to criticize those who do use paint applicator that is designed around the strengths and limitations of the medium.

Because it's not designed around the strengths and limitations of the medium, it's designed for people who don't have a vision for the image they're crafting, and letting the post production (i.e. the colorist in film) take care of it.

That doesn't exactly answer my question. Again, I ask--what additional steps in post must be done aside from setting raw exposure off skintones, a grey card, etc. to make an ETTR image match another, or one where the same technique was used to set camera exposure?

It's been answered. Using a grey card usually gets you only half way there. It rarely gets you a precise enough match. But like I said, I'm not going to take your view seriously when it contradicts the advice of actual experts with proven track records. That IMO includes people like John Brawley, even though he's probably not part of the ASC since the ASC is an American organization, and he's an Aussie.

It's the opposite of getting the exposure + ratios correct

ETTR, strictly speaking, *is* the technically correct camera exposure for a typical (non-extreme-DR) situation.
[/quote]

That is of course false. As I said, I've tried it, and found that in almost every case, I got better results with less work by not using ETTR. So clearly, it's false, and no amount of arguing or hand waving will change that. Modern sensors have such a clean image that there's really no point in bothering with ETTR unless you're shooting in an edge case where you really have no other option.

Only the amount of time/effort it takes to ETTR, which is very little indeed especially with an aid or two (or with a press of the iris button with an EF lens on BM cams, though I'd prefer to do it manually) and assuming you as fast at setting exposure in camera and with a meter than in post. Like it say, it may not always be "worth" the small amount of extra time, but if you are putting so much into the rest of your production, it certainly can't hurt to spend a second capturing it optimally.

If you're doing ETTR by adjusting the iris, then you are by definition not doing it optimally.

This is, of course, a major problem, but has nothing to do with ETTR. It's a product of people assuming that gear or accurate exposure settings will make up for a lack of vision, purpose, or telling a compelling story in visual imagery,

Exactly why people should move away from ETTR and instead work on developing a vision. Use the tools to their advantage, which includes taking advantage of how good modern digital imaging systems are, rather than continuing to be mired in this mythical "optimal exposure" silliness.

If you still doubt, then start asking yourself why the best cinematographers in the world do NOT use ETTR as a general rule. (They DO when it makes sense, which is rarely.)
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

John Brawley

PostTue Dec 08, 2015 12:03 am

I think you're assuming that sensors respond in a linear way. They don't.

An Alexa is near impossible to clip. But if you put important information (aka skin tone) up into the 85% range then there's no way you can normalise that exposure back to a 25% range and have it look good.

Not to mention the grading gymnastics required for that individual shot. Then to repeat the process over a number of shots and have the skin tone look consistent.

You're taking a very theoretical approach and I suspect don't have a lot of practical experience working this way and to be honest you're coming across pretty sanctimonious.

What you're putting forward as an ideal I think of as a top down exposure approach. Set the highlights and let the rest fall "wherever" in the exposure range of the sensor. Skin tone might be towards the top of the bottom. In the next shot you have different exposure circumstances and the exposure then floats to a different setting and the skin tone is now somewhere else.

It's much much easier to grade and get consistent shots in a scene if you make what's important (skin tone say) and keep that lin the same exposure range rather than pumping the exposure just to contain highlights which mostly aren't as important as skin tone.

If you had practical experience you'd be nodding your head as you read this.

I challenge you to try it out for yourself. Go shoot following the rules you've proposed and then try grade that together in a useful way. I think you're someone that's really smart that does a lot of reading. Time to put that away and go out and put it into practice.

JB

Edit***

Camera exposure is a choice. Not somethig that's right or wrong.
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

John Clark

PostTue Dec 08, 2015 5:11 pm

Rakesh Malik wrote:If you still doubt, then start asking yourself why the best cinematographers in the world do NOT use ETTR as a general rule. (They DO when it makes sense, which is rarely.)

While I don't know what cinematographers did in the 'olden days' to calibrate their meter, film, process, final result on screen, but I do know what still photographers did...

They would spend a great amount of time calibrating their equipment to the final result... the print. The 'Zone System' was perhaps a more organized and 'teachable' method of calibration, but there were others, perhaps more ad hoc.

In any case, almost everyone would rate B&W films such as Tri-X at 1/2 the manufacturer's rating, which was ASA 400, so many would be shooting at ASA 200.

Then again, 'news/reportage' photographers may 'underexpose' and 'over develop' to compensate to get a new worthy shot...

In any case the process was pretty technical and if one did the Zone System included a stint at a densitometers with a set of negative in hand...

To be sure there were some who just took the final 'cut ASA in half', and 'drop development by 2 minutes'...

I see this ETTR in the same way... rather than taking tedious and rather boring shots of charts... matching them up with an IRE display and 'calibrating' resulting values to given points on the IRE scale... just 'ETTR'... and all is well...

As a note... the entire ASA (now called ISO...) scale was doubled across all films in about 1959/60, and so, oddly, while the manufacturer's benefited by the 'ad' propaganda of 'faster films'... by halving the ASA one was back in the pre change era...

The reason for the ASA being set 'low' was to protect shadow density... but for people who 'worried' about shadow detail in the post 'upgrade speed' era... halving the ASA allowed the shadows to have detail, and cutting the development protected the highlights.

In the modern digital world, with limited dynamic range ('latitude' being the older Film film term...), one had to expose such that highlights did not clip... I have no idea why someone would recommend ETTR without testing where clipping occurred... but anyway... and one had to accept where the shadows fell...

As it is I tend to use the 'native' ISO for my Blackmagic Pocket, where as I did 'open up' one stop for my GH-1... but then on the GH-1 I'd only have about a 1.5 stops on the high values... so I'd only open up when I knew the high values were not much 'brighter' than that.

C.A.M. Gerlach

PostWed Dec 09, 2015 1:30 am

First off, I would like to thank Mr. Malik and Mr. Brawley for their time, patience and understanding with an pesky young grasshopper like myself. You both correctly surmise, as I have mentioned in previous threads, that I am one with seemingly boundless book knowledge and technical analysis (more like too head-smart for my own good, methinks), but far less practical experience with the cameras I'm talking about to back that up, unlike two of the most renowned and esteemed professional cinematographers on this forum whom I have the distinct pleasure of having the chance to converse with. Particularly given my at times less than humble tone, as Mr. Brawley notes and I apologize for, I really appreciate the time both of you have taken out of your surely hectic schedules to help educate and inspire someone such as myself.

In summary, upon reading and reflecting upon each of your points, it becomes clear that I am indeed rather misguided with my main line of reasoning in this thread. First, upon considering Mr. Malik's post, it would indeed quite foolish of me not to accept the central premise that if works for the ASC, not to mentioned accomplished DoPs like yourselves, traditional exposure techniques metering off skin tones and as balancing both desired highlight and shadow detail are a great place to start. It certainly isn't to say that ETTR has its place, and may well still represent a viable alternative for those with the proper training who know their camera might need it to perform well for a particular situation (and it has its advocates here, like Mr. Glencairn, who also has a few credits and awards to his name, though none can match Mr. Brawley in that regard). However, to expend considerable effort arguing at length how suboptimal anything else is, given all the incredible work that has been done in high end digital cinematography without it, is an unsustainable position, whether or not it has theoretical merit for certain cameras.

Furthermore, it was this that really clinched it for me:
John Brawley wrote:I think you're assuming that sensors respond in a linear way. They don't.
and thanks to that, now it all becomes clear. The crux of my argument was based off that erroneous assumption, based off the excellent work in the Magic Lateran forum and elsewhere documenting the intricacies of the Canon DSLR sensors as well as investigations of some of the Sony EXMORs, their response curves, and their raw still and video output, including tests showing significant benefits to ETTR, particularly in cameras like my trusty MLV Raw 7Ds.

However, it makes more sense now that given high end cinema sensors have a different architecture and response specifically calibrated to match closer to film with the oft-sought-after highlight rolloff, then the central tenants of ETTR would not necessarily apply, while a film-optimized exposure technique would in fact be quite appropriate. Furthermore, the 7D in particular has such problems with limited DR, sensitivity, read noise, dark current noise, and its infamous horizontal FPN from its unique interlaced readout architecture (a product of its dual independent processors being slightly off from one another), that it needs every photon it can get, and the limitations of its linear 14-bit raw format lends itself to the benefits of ETTR, unlike the proper log RAW on most modern cinema cameras.

The funny thing though is that I had an experience with stills, on that very same pair of 7Ds, that should have taught me this lesson already. I used to spend considerable amounts of time ETTRing properly with Magic Lateran and did get some pretty decent results messing around shooting wide DR landscapes, once I got more serious I was mostly shooting PJ style, with never any time to ETTR. And now that I've slowed things down for my magazine work, built up a set of good strobes and light mods, and really try to make every shot look the way I want, with purpose, rather than machine gunning and creating a look in post, it has become even less relevant for me with stills. Besides the fact that there's no reliable way to ETTR with strobes, since I have to competently pre-visualize the look I want before I shoot, I can do so much more I can do with lighting anyway to bring up shadows, not to mention create a mood, direct the eye, and make my subject pop, than I ever could in post, ETTR or otherwise. So yet again, a lesson I learned in stills, I must relearn in video.
JB wrote:I think you're someone that's really smart that does a lot of reading. Time to put that away and go out and put it into practice.

One could say you've read me like a book, Mr. Brawley. Though to be honest, its more that I think I'm smart, and too smart for my own good at that. Too busy thinking about things to get anything worthwhile done. But if anything can change that, hopefully it will be words of someone as noted as yourself...though I have finals to make it through first.

Mark Davies

PostWed Dec 09, 2015 1:45 pm

Personally speaking I would never expose to the right unless I wanted to mess up a load of takes.
Mark Davies

John Clark

PostWed Dec 09, 2015 4:57 pm

C.A.M. Gerlach wrote:
However, it makes more sense now that given high end cinema sensors have a different architecture and response specifically calibrated to match closer to film with the oft-sought-after highlight rolloff, then the central tenants of ETTR would not necessarily apply, while a film-optimized exposure technique would in fact be quite appropriate. Furthermore, the 7D in particular has such problems with limited DR, sensitivity, read noise, dark current noise, and its infamous horizontal FPN from its unique interlaced readout architecture (a product of its dual independent processors being slightly off from one another), that it needs every photon it can get, and the limitations of its linear 14-bit raw format lends itself to the benefits of ETTR, unlike the proper log RAW on most modern cinema cameras.

All of this deals with 'engineering', and 'engineering' is essentially finding a set of compromises that yield the 'quality' desired at the 'price' that can be supported...

In all these discussions of ETTR, I have not seen too many people produce images of charts, with step wedges showing the effects on 'highlights' or 'shadows', etc.

To me these are the technical tools to answer certain 'theoretical' questions. At a shoot, and a given setup of lighting, and subject... there is always a judgement call if there is a problem and getting the shot may be more important than technical finesse... especially in nolo budget productions where getting everyone back is not just a matter of a bit more money...

Mark Davies

PostWed Dec 09, 2015 9:09 pm

The idea is taken from over exposing real film with high levels of grain Typically 16mm But the BM camera is not a real film camera and in real film terms its not that bad with low light levels especially if you use faster lenses But that aside if you are using the BM Production camera then you obviously care about production value so most would be using lights.
The real issue with over exposing footage is getting it to match / Colour correction and the look Why would you intentionally make your film look more videoish. Grain is not usually a problem with resolve grain removal I would say you get far more problems with the pseudo LUTs that add film like grain and spoil your footage,
My suggestion is to light properly expose correctly and have fast lenses when you need to and forget about exposing to the right especially on a shoot with cast and crew. Why take the risk of messing shots up.
Mark Davies
Previous

Return to Cinematography