Tokina 11-16 focus

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Ruben Fernandez

Re: Tokina 11-16 focus

PostTue Jan 08, 2013 3:59 am

Tried it (version 1) on 7D and 5D Mark III (only 15-16mm). Seems to focus fine. IF Black Magic would start shipping the BMCCs I could know if it works on it too ;)

Benton Collins

PostTue Jan 08, 2013 5:25 am

I also have a Tokina 11-16 that doesn't focus to infinity. Too bad these lenses have this problem.

Marshall Harrington

PostTue Jan 08, 2013 7:20 am

Hey,

Could one of you at Blackmagic weigh in on this? What are the potential problems? Are there any solutions? Has Tokina been made aware so they can work towards a solution. I'm sure they want their product spoken about with the highest regard and if there is a problem be the first to dig in to find the cause and make it right. While to some it will sound naive it's a perfect example of all the good things a forum can solve!

Darryl Gregory

PostTue Jan 08, 2013 7:29 am

MarshallHarrington wrote:Hey,

Could one of you at Blackmagic weigh in on this? What are the potential problems? Are there any solutions? Has Tokina been made aware so they can work towards a solution. I'm sure they want their product spoken about with the highest regard and if there is a problem be the first to dig in to find the cause and make it right. While to some it will sound naive it's a perfect example of all the good things a forum can solve!

+1
Best post yet on this problem, can we get Blackmagic to investigate?
Since it may or may not be your camera causing it!

John Brawley

PostTue Jan 08, 2013 11:38 am

If it was a BMCC issue with it's flange depth you'd be seeing it with other wide angle lenses.

I've used the Canon 10-22 and the 15-85 canon EF-S. Any flange depth issue would show up at wider focal lengths on these lenses. Others have used the 8-16 Sigma's....

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Noel Sterrett

PostTue Jan 08, 2013 12:54 pm

John Brawley wrote:If it was a BMCC issue with it's flange depth you'd be seeing it with other wide angle lenses.

I've used the Canon 10-22 and the 15-85 canon EF-S. Any flange depth issue would show up at wider focal lengths on these lenses. Others have used the 8-16 Sigma's....

jb

The lenses you mention are all f3.5 or above. I'm not sure about other reports, but I can only confirm a problem at f2.8 and 11mm.

Cameras have been in the field for some time now, and I find it quite surprising that I seem to be the first to notice the issue by chance in a camera store. Suddenly, there are many other reports of the issue.

The problem was also noticed but has been corrected on an Epic by adjusting (which is possible on the Epic) the flange distance.

While I think it highly likely it is a lens issue, I would strongly advise BM to be certain before shipping large quantities of cameras.

Cheers.
Admit One Pictures
Resolve Studio 18 | Linux Lint 21 | Nvidia 515 | Xeon | iCore | Ryzen

John Brawley

PostTue Jan 08, 2013 1:04 pm

Noel Sterrett wrote:
The problem was also noticed but has been corrected on an Epic by adjusting (which is possible on the Epic) the flange distance.

While I think it highly likely it is a lens issue, I would strongly advise BM to be certain before shipping large quantities of cameras.

Cheers.

Well adjusting the flange to a lens is never the right thing to do.

The flange depth of the camera should be a constant. If the individual depth of the camera is out then it should be corrected but you shouldn't use a lens that's "out" to make the corrections against.

I only know the depth of PL mount, but it's meant to be 52mm. Using a depth gauge you can set the FFD of the camera to be 52mm.

http://denz-deniz.com/index.php?page=7& ... product=18

Then, using a lens collimator or lens projector you can check that a PL mount lens projects an image that is most in focus at 52mm.

If the lens isn't doing that, then you re-shim the lens and fix it. You don't change the camera. If you change the camera to allow for the lens, then the next lens you get won't be right either.

The camera should be a constant and the lenses should be adjusted to match, because they also have variable focus. They have to first hit infinity. And if the lens is out, even if you use the camera to adjust to it, then the lens probably won't hold ocus through the zoom. The camera is just a mount with no adjustments once it's set.

So, if the camera is OK with other wider focal length lenses, even at a deeper F stop, then it's not indicating to me that it's a problem with the FFD.

In my experience, the F stop doesn't influence the depth of focus of the lens (not DOF) as much as the focal length. You should still see an FFD problem at wider focal length even at F3.5.

In other words, the wider the lens, the more critical depth of focus or FFD will be.

There very well maybe be out of spec BMD cameras out there, but it doesn't add up to me that we'd see it only on one particular wide lens, especially when it's been reported as unreliable on other cameras.

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Noel Sterrett

PostTue Jan 08, 2013 1:24 pm

John Brawley wrote:Well adjusting the flange to a lens is never the right thing to do.

It would be nice if that were the case, but I've often had to adjust "backfocus" with zooms, just because of a change in temperature.
There very well maybe be out of spec BMD cameras out there, but it doesn't add up to me that we'd see it only on one particular wide lens, especially when it's been reported as unreliable on other cameras.

But it also seems strange that such a highly rated lens that has been out for years would turn out to be the problem.

Cheers.
Admit One Pictures

John Brawley

PostTue Jan 08, 2013 1:28 pm

Noel Sterrett wrote:
John Brawley wrote:Well adjusting the flange to a lens is never the right thing to do.

It would be nice if that were the case, but I've often had to adjust "backfocus" with zooms, just because of a change in temperature.

Only cheaper broadcast video style zooms have "backfocus" adjustment on the lens.

Cinema lenses don't tend to have backfocus adjustments. Nor do stills lenses. Many lenses focus past infinity to allow for temperature change. It's not usually temperature change that causes FFD changes. (though the F900 was notorious for this)

Noel Sterrett wrote:
John Brawley wrote:There very well maybe be out of spec BMD cameras out there, but it doesn't add up to me that we'd see it only on one particular wide lens, especially when it's been reported as unreliable on other cameras.

But it also seems strange that such a highly rated lens that has been out for years would turn out to be the problem.

Cheers.

It's a stills lens, not designed for motion imaging. Optically it may be great, but it's in the mechanics that you get the differences.

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Noel Sterrett

PostTue Jan 08, 2013 2:24 pm

John Brawley wrote:Only cheaper broadcast video style zooms have "backfocus" adjustment on the lens.

I wouldn't call a Zeiss DigiZoom cheap.

Cinema lenses don't tend to have backfocus adjustments. Nor do stills lenses.

Zeiss CP's have flange adjustments on the mounts. And cameras do as well (e.g. Epic, F65).

Many lenses focus past infinity to allow for temperature change. It's not usually temperature change that causes FFD changes. (though the F900 was notorious for this)

I worked on a dozen F900 features, so I remember well.

This focus issue may not be an either/or situation. It could also be that the BMCC flange is a tad long, and the lens is also a tad long (and no room past infinity) and together there is a problem.

But the Tokina is such an obvious choice for the BMCC, that I suspect the the cause will be found at some point. In the mean time, I wouldn't suggest buying an EF mount Tokina 11-16 (the F mount has been reported to be fine).

For me, this is just another reason to wait for the MFT.

Cheers.
Admit One Pictures

John Christon

PostTue Jan 08, 2013 3:51 pm

in my mind (which doesn't know TOO much about the mechanics of lenses) is that adding an adapter is sort of like shimming a lens. I have a bunch of Leicas that i know at on point were hand calibrated based on how many shims were in the lens, and the minimal, but extra depth of the adapter is sort of like shimming it.

either way i'm with JB - i don't think it's the camera's flange distance I think it's just bad QC on the tokina front and them just slapping lenses together and shipping em out. sometimes you get a winner, sometimes not. I think the adapter over compensates it, which is why i probably can focus a solid bit past infinity now

Frank Glencairn

PostTue Jan 08, 2013 9:48 pm

If you do a google search, you can see, it's an issue with the Tokina, that popped up in about every camera forum since it is on the market.

I send mine back and get me a Nikon version (+adapter), since - from what I saw - they seem to be less prone to that behavior.
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

Franckfc92

PostTue Jan 08, 2013 10:18 pm

Frank Glencairn wrote:I send mine back and get me a Nikon version (+adapter), since - from what I saw - they seem to be less prone to that behavior.

And why not the Sigma 10-20 f3.5? It seems to be a good lens, very sharp, and it won't need an adapter.
Did anyone tried this one on the BMC?

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostTue Jan 08, 2013 11:00 pm

Franckfc92 wrote:
Frank Glencairn wrote:I send mine back and get me a Nikon version (+adapter), since - from what I saw - they seem to be less prone to that behavior.

And why not the Sigma 10-20 f3.5? It seems to be a good lens, very sharp, and it won't need an adapter.
Did anyone tried this one on the BMC?

Some people prefer using a faster lens (f2.8 vs. f3.5).

The issue here appears to be occasional, random, defective lenses due to poor quality control by Tokina. QC failures can affect any lens from any source ... including occasionally Sigma.

This is one of the reasons why I buy lenses from dealers with excellent return policies.

John Brawley

PostTue Jan 08, 2013 11:04 pm

Noel Sterrett wrote:I wouldn't call a Zeiss DigiZoom cheap.

C'mon Noel.

Historically, all 2/3" lenses, even the drama style ones like the Zeiss have backfocus adjustment built into them. This was usually because you can't simply just re-shim the mount of the camera because of the prism. You HAVE to do it on the lens.

You can't adjust backfocus on Cinema lenses without re-shimming. You can't adjust backfocus on stills lenses without re-shimming.

If the backfocus on the lens is wrong and you adjust the camera to the lens, the zooms still won't hold focus throughout it's zoom range.

Noel Sterrett wrote:Zeiss CP's have flange adjustments on the mounts. And cameras do as well (e.g. Epic, F65).

I own a set of CP2's. I also own a set of PL, EF and m4/3 mounts for the CP's and a bunch of shims. There aren't any flange adjustments. You re-shim the lenses. Just like you do with any other PL mount cinema style lens.

Here's a list of the shim adjustments.
http://www.zeiss.com/C12575690045D103/E ... r_CP.2.pdf

Electronically adjustable sensor moving for re-shimming the camera (which I still say shouldn't be done just to correct to the lens) would add enormous cost to the camera.

Noel Sterrett wrote:This focus issue may not be an either/or situation. It could also be that the BMCC flange is a tad long, and the lens is also a tad long (and no room past infinity) and together there is a problem.

But the Tokina is such an obvious choice for the BMCC, that I suspect the the cause will be found at some point. In the mean time, I wouldn't suggest buying an EF mount Tokina 11-16 (the F mount has been reported to be fine).

For me, this is just another reason to wait for the MFT.

Cheers.

Indeed. I just think one should be careful when selecting and testing any lens before accepting it. I've also sent back brand new more expensive lenses for not being *right*. You can't just assume a camera or a lens will be right out of the box.

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Noel Sterrett

PostWed Jan 09, 2013 12:19 am

John Brawley wrote:There aren't any flange adjustments. You re-shim the lenses.

You can adjust the distance from the lens to the sensor in a number of ways. The adjustment can be on any or all of: the lens, sensor, mount, adapter, or bellows.

All produce exactly the same photographic effect.

Re-shimming is just one of the many ways to adjust lens/sensor distance. As I mentioned, some cameras (e.g., Epic, F65) are adjustable, the BMCC, along with most other cameras, are not.

The issue with the Tokina is not one over which reasonable people can disagree. It is entirely technical in nature. At some point, I suspect someone with provide the definitive answer. It won't be me, because I have no interest in either the EF version of the camera, or the Canon mount version of the lens.

I simply noticed the problem while in a camera store and thought it worth mentioning, since there are so few wide angle lenses for the camera and that makes the Tokina an obvious choice.

As I said, sooner or later, someone will provide the answer. Until then, there can be only speculation.

Cheers.
Admit One Pictures

Frank Glencairn

PostWed Jan 09, 2013 12:33 am

As I said, the answer is: do a Google search and you find, that there is a ton of duds out there, but also a ton of good ones. For some odd reason, the Nikon versions seem to have less problems, which narrows it down even more to a QC problem.

Eric Santiago

PostWed Jan 09, 2013 2:26 am

when I first got my Tokina for my Scarlet I thought it was me having issues with some shots.
aack now I hear this across the board.
well its a 650 dollar lens so you get what you paid for.
presently Im geared with a Rokinon Cine 35/85 inc my Tokina.
I think Im done with EF lenses and will wait to get my PL Ti mount before adding more lenses.

Larry Sellers

PostWed Jan 09, 2013 8:57 am

So it's definitely NOT a flange distance problem on the BMC? I have a to kinda that hits infinity just fine on the Epic and my 7D. So if there is no flange problem, then I should be fine. I wish I had a BMC to test it. If anyone in LA has one and wants to try my lens, I'm game.

Eric Santiago

PostThu Jan 10, 2013 4:24 am

tested mine with a Canon 5D MKII and my Scarlet.
I let a few photographer friends give it a go.
my issues in the past was something else.
they seem to think the lens is fine.

Nilscrompton

PostFri Jan 11, 2013 7:15 am

Can the tokina be re-shimmed?

Rev

PostSat Jan 12, 2013 4:05 pm

Noel Sterrett wrote:I just tried a Tokina 11-16 on a BMCC EF and it would not focus to infinity. A Rokinon 35mm focused properly, but as we didn't have another Tokina to try, it was not clear whether the problem was this particular lens or all 11-16 Tokina's.

Anyone know for sure?

Cheers.

Noel Thanks for starting this thread. It seems you may have saved alot of people from going crazy.

I've ben reading posts on another forum that are crediting another individual who likes to piggy back on other peoples work and observations. I want to give credit to you for starting it.

Can we get Blackmagic to confirm its a lens and not a body issue. Thanks

Frank Glencairn

PostSat Jan 12, 2013 9:49 pm

Looks like the Nikon version works fine for most folks though.

Vince Gaffney

PostSat Jan 12, 2013 10:02 pm

Frank Glencairn wrote:Looks like the Nikon version works fine for most folks though.

+1

adamroberts

PostSat Jan 12, 2013 10:26 pm

Frank Glencairn wrote:Looks like the Nikon version works fine for most folks though.

+1

And it focuses the right way... Hee hee.

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Jan 13, 2013 7:07 pm

Hi

We are happy to investigate but given that all lenses focus correctly except this particular one, I'm inclined to think that maybe there is an issue with the Tokina lens?

Noel Sterrett

PostSun Jan 13, 2013 7:32 pm

Kristian Lam wrote:Hi

We are happy to investigate but given that all lenses focus correctly except this particular one, I'm inclined to think that maybe there is an issue with the Tokina lens?

It seems likely that the problem is with the Tokina, but rather than speculate, it would seem to be in the interest of both Tokina and Blackmagic to find both an answer and a solution since the Tokina is fairly close to what many consider to be the goto lens for the BMCC.

Cheers.
Admit One Pictures

benmunro

PostMon Jan 14, 2013 6:35 am

I own the Tokina SD 11 -16 f2.8 (IF) DX and it also has a issue with focusing to infinity on the BMC, this problem doesn't occur on my canon dslr's, it's quite strange & going to infinity on this lens is common for me.

Hopefully if it's a funky problem with the camera it can be fixed :)

Phillip Mortimer

PostMon Jan 14, 2013 11:00 am

[cut!] Massive edit. I had made a post about focus problems on my camera, but the weather is not good here now, so I want to confirm on a very clear day. Sorry for the confusion. I'll post back in a few days.
Last edited by Phillip Mortimer on Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Hearnia

PostMon Jan 14, 2013 12:26 pm

Has anyone tried a Sigma 8-16 on a newer BMCC body?
vimeo.com/hearnstudios

Dustin Uy

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 7:27 am

my nikon tokina works perfectly.

Larry Sellers

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 7:52 am

add another one to the list. no infinity focus when wide open. have to stop down a bunch before getting sharp far away. this is weird indeed. i have had no problems on my 7d or fs100 with this lens. i'd love to hear blackmagic's opinion. could the flange distance of the camera be off?

Christian Schmeer

PostSun Jan 20, 2013 3:45 am

Does anyone know an alternative to the Tokina 11-16 F2.8, but also with a large aperture (e.g. F2.8) ?
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSun Jan 20, 2013 9:51 am

Christian Schmeer wrote:Does anyone know an alternative to the Tokina 11-16 F2.8, but also with a large aperture (e.g. F2.8) ?

As an alternative to the Canon mount version of the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8:

I'm planning to buy the Nikon mount version of the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 from a reputable dealer with a 100% refund policy (such as B&H or Adorama, etc.). That way if there's an infinity focus or other issue I can return it.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 ... DX_II.html

Together with a Nikon-G to EOS type lens mount adapter which enables aperture adjustment, such as this one from Fotodiox:
http://fotodioxpro.com/index.php/fotodi ... 1000d.html

One advantage of getting a Nikon mount version of a lens is that it can be similarly adapted to most any other camera, now and in the future.

Christian Schmeer

PostTue Jan 22, 2013 7:44 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:
Christian Schmeer wrote:Does anyone know an alternative to the Tokina 11-16 F2.8, but also with a large aperture (e.g. F2.8) ?

I'm planning to buy the Nikon mount version of the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 from a reputable dealer with a 100% refund policy (such as B&H or Adorama, etc.). That way if there's an infinity focus or other issue I can return it.

Together with a Nikon-G to EOS type lens mount adapter which enables aperture adjustment, such as this one from Fotodiox:

One advantage of getting a Nikon mount version of a lens is that it can be similarly adapted to most any other camera, now and in the future.

I have now done exactly that :) I have ordered the Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8 (Mark 1) Nikon version from Digitalrev. It was £369 incl. free shipping and pre-paid import tax. I received the lens about 30 hours after ordering! :shock:

I have two different Nikon adapters on order, a £39 Kiwifotos one, as well as a cheaper £10 DSLRKIT one. Both have the tab to adjust the aperture. I'll test the lens once either one of the adapters arrives.
www.christianschmeer.com

adamroberts

PostTue Jan 22, 2013 11:43 pm

I have a similar setup but have a Novoflex adapter. Works a treat. You don't have any way of knowing what f-stop you are using but for really wide shots that not that important.

Christian Schmeer

PostThu Jan 24, 2013 4:54 pm

I have received the Kiwifotos Nikon to EF adapter now and have mounted the lens onto the BMCC. I am not getting proper focusing, no infinity focus by far! I am starting to get a bit nervous, as I needed the lens for a shoot starting 1. February. Either the lens or the adapter is a dud... :|
www.christianschmeer.com

Kholi Hicks

PostThu Jan 24, 2013 4:57 pm

I couldn't log in for a while, could only kind of help from the other site but glad you guys are finding the Nikon/Novoflex adapter works. It's a bit more money, yes, but like Peter says it can likely be used on anything else and there really isn't another lens I would rather have at that focal length that works on an EF mount.
Kholi Hicks

Christian Schmeer

PostThu Jan 24, 2013 5:40 pm

Mine isn't working :/ It's not a Novoflex adapter though. I'll go to Calumet tomorrow, see if I can try their Novoflex adapter. I have tested the lens with my Kiwifotos adapter on the 5D III and it has infinity focus on it though. Does that mean my BMCC's flange distance is messed up?
www.christianschmeer.com

Christian Schmeer

PostSat Jan 26, 2013 4:17 pm

I went to Calumet yesterday and tried their Novoflex Nikon to EF mount adapter. It wasn't the aperture-controlling one with the blue tab, but an older silver one without the tab. That adapter is worth about £110 and was as bad as the £40 Kiwifotos one I bought: no infinity focus by far.

However, after meeting up with Adam Roberts today, we tested my Nikon mount Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8 lens with his Novoflex Nikon to EF adapter with the blue aperture tab and it worked fine! Therefore, if you want to be on the safe side with the Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8 on the BMCC, get the Nikon mount version with the Novoflex Nikon to EF adapter for "G" lenses (blue aperture tab on the side).

PS: Thanks to Adam for letting me try his adapter :)
www.christianschmeer.com

greg fiske

PostSat Jan 26, 2013 5:40 pm

For those that go with the cheap adapter, they need locktight on the screws or constant tightening if you use it a lot.

Christian Schmeer

PostSat Jan 26, 2013 5:47 pm

greg fiske wrote:For those that go with the cheap adapter, they need locktight on the screws or constant tightening if you use it a lot.

I just tried that, but all it fixed was the play between the adapter and lens mount. Infinity focus is still way off with the Kiwifotos adapter (only goes to about 4 meters).
Last edited by Christian Schmeer on Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.christianschmeer.com

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSat Jan 26, 2013 5:48 pm

Christian Schmeer wrote:I went to Calumet yesterday and tried their Novoflex Nikon to EF mount adapter. It wasn't the aperture-controlling one with the blue tab, but an older silver one without the tab. That adapter is worth about £110 and was as bad as the £40 Kiwifotos one I bought: no infinity focus by far.

However, after meeting up with Adam Roberts today, we tested my Nikon mount Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8 lens with his Novoflex Nikon to EF adapter with the blue aperture tab and it worked fine! Therefore, if you want to be on the safe side with the Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8 on the BMCC, get the Nikon mount version with the Novoflex Nikon to EF adapter for "G" lenses (blue aperture tab on the side).

PS: Thanks to Adam for letting me try his adapter :)

That's great news, in an pain-in-the-*ss kind of way. :D

When/if my BMCC ever arrives I'll buy a Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 Nikon mount & Fotodiox Pro Nikon-G adapter from B&H or Adorama, and then let you know if it works.

If it doesn't, I'll return both and probably get the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM zoom and hope it's fully compatible with whatever BMCC firmware version is available by then. Or maybe just get the Canon in the first place and not screw around with the Tokina.

But first I've got to get my BMCC ...

Cheers.

adamroberts

PostSat Jan 26, 2013 6:19 pm

Christian Schmeer wrote:PS: Thanks to Adam for letting me try his adapter :)

Glad to help. :-)

bpullman

PostTue Jan 29, 2013 5:21 am

Hi Peter,

I am new to this forum, and I'm waiting for the BMCC MFT version. I just shipped back a Canon EF mount Tokina 11-16 to the store I bought it from, to exchange with a Nikon mount. My question is, should I get the standard Tokina 11-16 Nikon mount (without AF) or the new DX AF 2 version? Or does it matter on the BMCC? Is there much difference except the price, of course? I also have a GH1 as a second feature film camera, and I suppose the AF would be nice on that one, though very heavy for it's frame. Thanks in advance for your recommendation.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostTue Jan 29, 2013 6:22 am

bpullman wrote:Hi Peter,

I am new to this forum, and I'm waiting for the BMCC MFT version. I just shipped back a Canon EF mount Tokina 11-16 to the store I bought it from, to exchange with a Nikon mount. My question is, should I get the standard Tokina 11-16 Nikon mount (without AF) or the new DX AF 2 version? Or does it matter on the BMCC? Is there much difference except the price, of course? I also have a GH1 as a second feature film camera, and I suppose the AF would be nice on that one, though very heavy for it's frame. Thanks in advance for your recommendation.

At this point I can't say I recommend the Tokina 11-16mm, unfortunately. Apparently not even copies of the Nikon version are working consistently for BMCC users.

The only guide we have is the list of "reported good" lenses (for use with the BMCC-EF) listed here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4159

An alternative ultra-wide-angle rectilinear zoom lens for use with the BMCC-EF might be the Canon 10-22mm or Sigma 8-16mm. Of course, these aren't as fast as the Tokina 11-16mm, but are reported to work. Note: "YMMV" & buyer beware.

Since the BMCC-MFT isn't shipping yet, I'll leave it to others to discuss lenses for use on that camera. I'm waiting for a BMCC-EF myself.

I strongly recommend not buying a lens before you have a BMCC in-hand, and only buy lenses from a reputable dealer with a 100% refund policy. Another approach is to rent a lens from a company such as lensrentals.com so you can test the lens on your camera before deciding which lens (if any) to buy.

EDIT: Just to add, since you brought it up, although the BMCC-EF & BMCC-MFT feature focus peaking and magnify focussing aids on the LCD, they don't support lens AF. So whatever lens is used must include a manual focus feature. In the case of the BMCC-MFT, lenses such as Panasonic Lumix MFT require power to focus & set aperture, and so can't be used on the BMCC-MFT's passive lens mount.
Last edited by Peter J. DeCrescenzo on Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Christian Schmeer

PostTue Jan 29, 2013 2:03 pm

I have received my Novoflex adapter now. It's a lot better than the Kiwifotos one I had before, but infinity is still not properly in focus between 11-14mm when wide open, only when stopped down. :( At 15-16mm, it goes slightly past infinity.

EDIT: Typo.
Last edited by Christian Schmeer on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
www.christianschmeer.com

Keith Stark

PostTue Jan 29, 2013 9:02 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:

Peter,
I had the same issue with the canon verion, B and H took it back no questions.
Got the Nikon version with the Fotodiox adapter you recommend, works like a charm, pleanty of tolerance (reaching beyond infinity) (tested on a 7D, I have some use for this lens now while waiting).
It's better than I expected, thought it would have some noticable barreling but it seems fine.
(which would be less on a BMD anyway...)

Thanks,
Keith
Camera "Claude" Received 4/4

Christian Schmeer

PostTue Jan 29, 2013 9:30 pm

Keith Stark wrote:Got the Nikon version with the Fotodiox adapter you recommend, works like a charm, pleanty of tolerance (reaching beyond infinity) (tested on a 7D, I have some use for this lens now while waiting)

The issue is not present when mounting the lens on Canon SLRs, only on the the BMCC. The Nikon version (with Kiwifotos adapter or Novoflex adapter) reaches infinity on my 5D Mark III, but it does not on the BMCC. The Novoflex adapter does reach infinity between 15-16mm F/2.8 though, and the Kiwifotos never did, so the Kiwifotos adapter was obviously even worse.
www.christianschmeer.com

Christian Schmeer

PostTue Jan 29, 2013 11:56 pm

I found out how to fix the lens! It should work on both the EF and Nikon mount version. I will create a blog post with pictures in a few days :)
www.christianschmeer.com
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography