Just Askin' - MFT or EF?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

meaganmargaret

Just Askin' - MFT or EF?

PostSun Jan 06, 2013 5:27 pm

So, I read here in the forums the enthusiasm of those who can't wait for the MFT mount. My understand is that the MFT on the BMCC is passive, which means a lot of MFT glass won't work as expected (or at all).

So why are so many of you so enthusiastic about the MFT BMCC? Is it just that you have existing glass that you know would work with the passive MFT on the BMCC? Or is there some advantage to the MFT that I'm not seeing or understanding?

Philip Bloom looks to be all aglow about obtaining a BMCC MFT and also combining it with the new Panasonic GH3 (also MFT), now that would be a spectacular combination to have. If you have the $$$$.

Just askin.....

Guisphoto

Re: Just Askin' - MFT or EF?

PostSun Jan 06, 2013 5:46 pm

You can take a look to this post
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3494
:)
Alberto Ros
http://vimeo.com/guis

Bill Rich

PostSun Jan 06, 2013 6:07 pm

Welcome Meaganmargaret,

The quick answer is this.. what the BMCC with the passive MFT mount gives you is the ability to use a larger number of lenses than the EF mount BMCC does (with the use of adapters).. it is true that you won't be able to use Lumix or other MFT lenses that need to communicate with the camera in order to control the iris.. BUT.. you can use a plethora of other lenses all the way up to PL mount cinema lenses. (which is the cause of the buzz for the MFT mount) and also those cool Magic SLR lenses..

Personally I am going with the EF mount version because I have a bunch of EF lenses.. and if I need a Cinema lens I can rent an EF or ZF mount cinema lens.. (but that's just me)

It's cool there is a choice now!
Bill Rich
PhotoJournalist/Editor/Producer
Los Angeles, California

meaganmargaret

PostSun Jan 06, 2013 8:51 pm

Thanks to you both!

10s

PostMon Jan 07, 2013 2:25 am

For me MFT. Why? besides lens options, I want to dial in the exposure settings, set focus, and keep a degree of traditional cinematographic discipline intact within myself and my set. I even like to use my Spectra light meter for lighting the set... I know video light meters are a bit outdated by video cameras and set monitors providing immediate lighting reference but I like keeping the skill alive. Is this the correct choice? I don't know, but I believe each us needs to find our own tools and processes and ultimately our own stylistic voice. The right answer is the one that works for you.

sean mclennan

PostMon Jan 07, 2013 5:10 pm

Bill Rich wrote:MFT mount gives you is the ability to use a larger number of lenses than the EF mount BMCC does (with the use of adapters)..

?? how do you figure that? If you add up all the MFT lenses and remove the incompatible ones...you are left with very few lenses. While you can "adapt" a 35mm lens to MFT, the results are not always optimal and in many cases, take a performance hit.

The only real advantage I see to MFT mount is more accessible wide angle glass. That's about it.

Any other advantages I'm missing?

adamroberts

PostMon Jan 07, 2013 6:51 pm

You can use PL mount lenses on the MFT mount. That is one of the biggest advantages for anyone shooting higher end commercial stuff.

You can also tap into almost any other manual lens collection:
Canon FD
Contax Y/C
Nikon F
Minolta
Leica M
Leica R
Leica M39
Pentax K
M42
Olympus OM
OCT19
Arri Standard

And many more...

With the EF mount the list is narrower.

sean mclennan

PostMon Jan 07, 2013 7:06 pm

Thanks for the breakdown!

Rev

PostFri Jan 11, 2013 12:02 am

adamroberts wrote:You can use PL mount lenses on the MFT mount. That is one of the biggest advantages for anyone shooting higher end commercial stuff.

You can also tap into almost any other manual lens collection:
Canon FD
Contax Y/C
Nikon F
Minolta
Leica M
Leica R
Leica M39
Pentax K
M42
Olympus OM
OCT19
Arri Standard

And many more...

With the EF mount the list is narrower.

This is the most irresponsible response I've read here. Every one of those lens types can be used on the black magic EF mount camera with adapters. The canon fd can be used but the adapters made for Ef mount have a cheap optic in them that degrades the image so its the only one I wouldn't use.

All anyone has to do is google the lens mounts to eos Ef adapter to see you can use those lenses on Ef mount.

Lenses you CAN use with EOS Ef mount:

Canon Fd to EF adapter- Yes but not good because of cheap optic quality adapter.
Contax to EF adapter- Yes
Nikon to Ef- Yes
minolta to Ef - Yes
Lieca M to Ef - Yes
Leica R to Ef - Yes
Leica M39 to Ef- Yes
Pentax K to Ef- Yes
Olympus OM to Ef- Yes
Oct19 to ef - Yes
Arri standard- can be pl'd to be used with ef

And the Ef mount camera can obviously use the numerous Canon Eos lenses which the m4/3 mount camera cannot because of no electronic aperture control. You can get a dumb adapter for Ef to m4/3 but to set aperture requires a bunch of ridiculous moves or in order to get electronic control of ef lenses on the m4/3 mount you have to purchase a very pricey battery operated adapter like the redock live lens.

The only limitation the Ef mount has, if you feel its a limitation, is if you need extremely fast extremely wide lenses, (In Ef mount our best lens for fast wide is the tokina 11-16mm f2.8), and certain PL glass. EF mount can accommodate certain pl lenses. Canon actually makes cine lenses with both pl and ef mounts as a matter of fact.

I use Contax lenses and Olympus Zukio OM lenses on ef cameras all the time. They're all manual lenses.

Also those fast and wide lenses like the slr magic 12mm is $600 and the others like the voight 17.5mm are over $1200 and remember they may only cover the 4/3 chip size so when Black magic comes out with a full frame or S35 size sensor camera, and they will, those fast and wide lenses may be useless whereas most of those lenses listed can be used on full frame or S35 sized chips.

@adam roberts; Next time before you write a dumb post like this do your research.
Last edited by Rev on Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

John Brawley

PostFri Jan 11, 2013 2:30 am

Pretty sure you can order PL or EF on the canon cine lenses but they aren't interchangeable.

JB.
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Shawn Miller

PostFri Jan 11, 2013 3:30 am

Rev... Also those fast and wide lenses like the slr magic 12mm is $600 and the others like the voight 17.5mm are over $1200 and remember they may only cover the 4/3 chip size.

Doesn't mean you can't sell them when they're not useful to you anymore. Or, you might just use them on newer m4/3 devices.

Rev...so when Black magic comes out with a full frame or S35 size sensor camera, and they will

And you know this how?

Rev...@adam roberts; Next time before you write a dumb post like this do your research.

So, where is your research showing that Blackmagic will be releasing a camera with an S35 or full frame sized sensor?

Shawn
Corporate Video Producer | Independent Filmmaker | Editor | VFX Generalist

Rev

PostFri Jan 11, 2013 5:43 am

Shawn Miller wrote:
Rev...
So, where is your research showing that Blackmagic will be releasing a camera with an S35 or full frame sized sensor?

Shawn

Shawn Miller is this you?

Rev

PostFri Jan 11, 2013 6:01 am

John Brawley wrote:Pretty sure you can order PL or EF on the canon cine lenses but they aren't interchangeable.

JB.

Okay worded wrongly. Now fixed,.

adamroberts

PostFri Jan 11, 2013 7:32 am

Rev wrote:This is the most irresponsible response I've read here...

@adam roberts; Next time before you write a dumb post like this do your research.

And pull the claws back in. No need to get so bitchy.

If you re-read my post I never said you could not use those lenses on an EF mount. I said the biggest advantage was access to PL lenses and the the list for the EF mount was narrower.
FD for instance is not a viable option due to the added optic

Some need shorter flange focal distance so will have issues focusing to infinity. With the shorter flange distance on the MFT mount you have more options.

So I'd hardly say it was a dumb post. You'll make a lot enemies on here being so bitchy...

Shawn Miller

PostFri Jan 11, 2013 8:07 am

Rev wrote:
Shawn Miller wrote:
Rev...

Shawn

Shawn Miller is this you?

LOL - I don't usually respond to this kind of nonsense because there isn't any useful information to respond to... but I just have to say Rev, you still haven't shown where you got your information about BM making a camera with a FF or S35 sensor (you did say it was going to happen after all). Perhaps you missed the part where you encouraged someone else to do their research before making a dumb post. Anyway, you can have the last word here, since you obviously need the attention.

Thanks,

Shawn
Corporate Video Producer | Independent Filmmaker | Editor | VFX Generalist

Return to Cinematography