SteadXP Kickstarter Thoughts?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Sam Friedman

SteadXP Kickstarter Thoughts?

PostSun Sep 13, 2015 7:56 pm

Im looking at this Kickstarter fundraiser for Stead XP and it looks pretty amazing.

Any thoughts?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/10 ... ?ref=video

Ivon Visalli

Re: SteadXP Kickstarter Thoughts?

PostSun Sep 13, 2015 8:27 pm

Sam Friedman wrote:Im looking at this Kickstarter fundraiser for Stead XP and it looks pretty amazing.

Any thoughts?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/10 ... ?ref=video

Sounds like it could be a good work around if BMD removes the gyro from the mini.

Benton Collins

PostMon Sep 14, 2015 12:13 am

This type of stabilization should be possible with the URSA Mini 4.6K using it's internal gyros (as long as they keep the gyros).
While this type of post stabilization works, do not expect the same quality if you used a genuine stabilization rig. The frames of any post stabilized material will still have any motion blur that was recorded from a shaky camera. No amount of post magic can overcome that. You could fight against that problem by using a very short shutter, but then you'd have jarring motion, but maybe you could tame that back down again by adding some frame blending. Great to have options though!

Cam Macduff

PostMon Sep 14, 2015 10:40 am

apart from having very accurate motion data I can't see how this improves things over software like 'Lock'n'load.
Besides you still have the crop the hell out of it and shoot very wide and 2.5 or 4k for it to do it's thing.
Plus the price seems ridiculous for such a 1 trick pony.
You can buy small handheld gimbals for that money... or did I miss something special they're doing? I didn't read their KS page top to bottom.

Tyler Edwards

PostMon Sep 14, 2015 11:53 am

I backed it. I see it it more useful for personal trips and stuff where I don't want to carry any kind of gimbal/rig. Different strokes for different folks.
www.youtube.com/tylerfedwards

Jason R. Johnston

PostMon Sep 14, 2015 1:39 pm

I just try not to shoot shaky footage.
JASONRJOHNSTON.COM | CINEMATOGRAPHER | DIRECTOR | EDITOR | COLORIST
RED Komodo | DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5 | 2023 MacBook M2 Pro 14

Marc White

PostSat Jul 29, 2017 7:04 pm

Received mine yesterday. Today I'm trying to calibrate a lens. A process where you take a movie of a checkerboard from 9 different points at a 25 degree or less angle.. then feed it into their calibration software and then select the best frame of each of those 9 points, hit go and let the software do it's thing.

Arrrgh. 3rd attempt and thus far I'm not real happy. It's a process that's rather like sticking pins in oneself.

If someone were smart they'd make a ton of money by calibrating every lens on all the most popular cameras and sell the calibrations saving us poor souls the nightmare of doing it.

chris.white

PostMon Jul 31, 2017 7:28 pm

Marc White wrote:Received mine yesterday. Today I'm trying to calibrate a lens. A process where you take a movie of a checkerboard from 9 different points at a 25 degree or less angle.. then feed it into their calibration software and then select the best frame of each of those 9 points, hit go and let the software do it's thing.

Arrrgh. 3rd attempt and thus far I'm not real happy. It's a process that's rather like sticking pins in oneself.

If someone were smart they'd make a ton of money by calibrating every lens on all the most popular cameras and sell the calibrations saving us poor souls the nightmare of doing it.

Yay... glad to hear it's a smooth process :roll:

Mine showed up the other day, and I haven't even taken it out of the box. I requested a cancellation and refund about 6 months ago and they refused.
---
c

Gary Yost

PostSun Aug 06, 2017 5:01 pm

Yah, got mine this week also and it's a joke. Uh, for $300 it's obviously got $2 worth of parts and they don't even ship a go pro battery with it? And couldn't download the software, etc etc.

My guess is that the final rendered output is 8-bit and probably has artifacts. Will slog through it to attempt a calibration though. Yeesh, those folks are in way over there heads (since the beginning).

Return to Cinematography