Monitor Issues

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

LDS

Monitor Issues

PostTue Jan 08, 2013 9:53 pm

Hi.

Just got my BMCC and I'm having problems using external monitors. When I plug it an SDI line into my
JVC DT-V9L3DY from the BMCC, it gives me an "Out of Range" warning message. I get no picture. When I plug it into my Zaguto EVF-IS (via my black magic SDI/HDMI converter) I see an enlarged 4th of the image. I tried scaling it down through the monitor, but no go.

Does anyone know why this is happening? Is the output signal too large to be handled by my equipment? If so, what monitoring systems do work?

Thanks!

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

Re: Monitor Issues

PostTue Jan 08, 2013 10:52 pm

According to the specs for your monitor (on B&H website), it's compatible with 1080 interlaced & PsF HD-SDI sources.

The BMCC's HD-SDI output is 1080p progressive only.

-

LDS

PostTue Jan 08, 2013 11:08 pm

Ah.... Thanks very much Peter!

Marshall Harrington

PostThu Jan 10, 2013 2:15 am

So what about the EVF?

LDS

PostThu Jan 10, 2013 2:31 am

I'm still looking into the EVF. I have posts out on other sites as well. Hoping to get some info soon. I'd rather not have to purchase another one!

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostThu Jan 10, 2013 2:35 am

MarshallHarrington wrote:So what about the EVF?

That's a good question. According to Zacuto's website, their EVF-1S should work with the BMMC via a BMD HD-SDI-to-HDMI converter:
http://store.zacuto.com/EVF-Snap.html

Are there settings on the converter?

Looking at the specs, a JVC DT-V9L3DY monitor is only compatible with interlaced sources, but the Zacuto EVF-1S should be able to work with both interlaced & progressive.

If possible, testing his BMCC's HD-SDI output with another HD-SDI monitor should narrow things down a bit.

(And LDS: Say hi to Jeff for me!)

LDS

PostThu Jan 10, 2013 3:00 am

Thanks Peter.

It may be as simple as a firmware update. I have 11,000 cables but I can't find one USB to USB...

Thanks for getting back to Jeff as well!

Joel Crane

PostThu Jan 10, 2013 4:36 am

Yeah, this is interesting to me as well, cause I have a SmallHD DP6 I'm using with mine and it works beautifully. I'm just finding it necessary to get an EVF for when doing handheld stuff, especially in sunlight as it's really hard for my AC to pull focus off the back screen. I have a Zacuto EVF laying around, so was debating whether to just get the blackmagic converter. If there's a problem with that combination though, I might have to get a cineroid EVF or something...

Joel Crane

- Photographer - Filmmaker - Superhero -
www.joelcranephotography.com

Frank Glencairn

PostThu Jan 10, 2013 12:17 pm

TVLogic also works just fine via SDI. Since the Alphatron EVF is also TVLogic, I assume that would work too.
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

Xtreemtec

PostThu Jan 10, 2013 9:47 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:The BMCC's HD-SDI output is 1080p progressive only.-

Uuuhhhh So that means i can not use it with the ATEM ?? Great...
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Frank Glencairn

PostThu Jan 10, 2013 9:53 pm

Great?

You may hate me for that, but it says CINEMA camera - ever saw interlaced cinema?
The specs are out there since months now. You never have checked them?
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

LDS

PostSat Jan 12, 2013 8:36 pm

I just downloaded Zaguto's latest firmware. IT NOW WORKS LIKE A CHARM!

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSun Jan 13, 2013 12:29 am

LDS wrote:I just downloaded Zaguto's latest firmware. IT NOW WORKS LIKE A CHARM!

Good news. Glad to hear it was just a firmware issue with the Zacuto EVF. Cheers.

Xtreemtec

PostSun Jan 13, 2013 11:31 am

Frank Glencairn wrote:You may hate me for that, but it says CINEMA camera - ever saw interlaced cinema?
The specs are out there since months now. You never have checked them?

Well to explain myself. No i did not check!! Because i guess BMD products would work together.

Now the reason why this is a problem for me>> I have a video crane. I rent out the video crane a lot for Festivals and events.
At this moment we are filming with a 5D (which is CRAP in a video crane) As a 5D is never really build for filming purposes it is not easy to start / stop recording from a distance. The mirror will close a lot. And the HDMI output is 100% crap..

For us to integrate the crane into our HD mix setup for live events is now that we take my JVC HM700 SDI output and put it into the Atem. But when the night falls the 700 is not very good anymore in the dark. Also my Wide angle on the 700 is not as good as the wide angle from a 16mm on the 5D.

So to combine the best of 2 worlds without paying for a RED. i was convinced that the BMCC would be the right choice for me. Putting a 11mm lens on it and control it by LANC. It would be the perfect bang for the buck.. Hopefully some FW update will allow a interlaced output or i maybe some convertor that i can use..

So that's the story behind..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

adamroberts

PostSun Jan 13, 2013 11:38 am

The BMCC is not really a low light camera tho... You'd probably be better off with something like the Sony NEX-FS100/700 or Perhaps a Canon C100/300.

Nick Shaw

PostSun Jan 13, 2013 2:58 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:No i did not check!! Because i guess BMD products would work together.

I know it's more kit and more money, but adding one more BMD product into the mix would (I believe) solve the issue – a Teranex.

Not a practical solution for people with monitors or EVFs which only support PSF, but in a live switching situation it would work.
Workflow Consultant, London UK
LUTs and LUT plugins
www.antlerpost.com

DimProduction

PostThu Jan 24, 2013 10:51 am

Hi!
Our BMCC just came in yesterday and it's great!
I have one question I think could be parallel to this topic. We have Alphatron Wievfinder which works perfectly with BlackMagic camera.
Still, we have put the 25p mode of recording in the camera and we are getting 24p through the SDI output! Therefore we have some problems on distributing picture further to some monitors.
Any thoughts on that problem? Why would the output be 24p while the recording mode is 25p? It causes problems with backup recording on hyperdeck as well.

Thanks for You opinion!

Return to Cinematography