IR Filtration BMCC & Ursa Mini 46k

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Alexander Derrick

IR Filtration BMCC & Ursa Mini 46k

PostSun Oct 04, 2015 6:08 pm

Hi,

I am a new owner of BMCC (M4/3 + Speedbooster), with Ursa Mini 46k on the way.

I am just transitioning from DSLR film making, and want to know what would be the most popular solution of IR Filtration for my new blackmagic cameras?

I already have a collection of VariND and ND filters, and am just looking for a 4x4 IR filter for matte box.

I've read some posts on this forum about IR+ND, but I just need IR filtration for BMD sensors.

Is the Schneider Optics True Cut 680 a good option for both 25k and 46k sensors?

Many thanks in advance for any help and/or experience you can provide.

Cheers,
Alex

JamesParker

Re: IR Filtration BMCC & Ursa Mini 46k

PostMon Oct 05, 2015 8:52 pm

Yes. The Schneider optics 680 is amazing and works like a champ!
J.Parker
Creative Director

Alexander Derrick

PostMon Oct 05, 2015 9:24 pm

Thanks James, What would you recommend for a screw on option?

Dave Perry

PostMon Oct 05, 2015 9:42 pm

So I take it the 4.6k sensor still needs IR filtration? That was something I was wondering about.
S1H
----------------------------------------------
Dave Perry Cinematographer LLC
Director of Photography • Camera Operator
524 N. Normandie Ave. Unit 2
Hollywood USA 90004
LAcinematographer.com

adamroberts

PostMon Oct 05, 2015 10:14 pm

Most digital cameras need IR filtration. The sensor, even in BM cameras, include IR filters BUT they Bari in strength.

BM have been using very low IR filtration strengths that are fine under normal conditions until you alter the IR:Visible ratio (by adding ND).

Generally it's a good idea to use IR ND on mist cameras.

If you are looking for Screw in options that work well with the BM cameras then the Hoya UV/IR Cut filter is pretty good and so used with the Hoya Pro ND give very neutral results.

Firecast ND from Formatt-Hitech are available in screw, 4x4 & 4x5 and work very well.

Alexander Derrick

PostMon Oct 05, 2015 10:32 pm

I already have a decent collection of NDs, but I am thinking for run and gun I would need a screw on + a variable ND.

Do the Hoyas offer sufficient filtration at higher NDs? From what I've read the 680 is the strongest.

rick.lang

PostTue Oct 06, 2015 3:04 am

The SLR Magic 77mm Vari-ND has seen positive reviews and there's an improved version that includes control of the polarization effect. Will soon be available in 82mm as well. That's what I intend to use initially.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

adamroberts

PostTue Oct 06, 2015 7:04 am

Alexander Derrick wrote:I already have a decent collection of NDs, but I am thinking for run and gun I would need a screw on + a variable ND.

Do the Hoyas offer sufficient filtration at higher NDs? From what I've read the 680 is the strongest.

I've been using the Hoya IR Cut with variable ND without any issues. There is a little colour shift especially when using higher settings. Variable ND's do tend to change skin tones so the colour **** you might see is not IR related but rather from polarised light (light reflecting from below the skin kets cut by the polariser).

Humauin Kabir

PostSun Sep 24, 2017 6:30 pm

adamroberts wrote:Most digital cameras need IR filtration. The sensor, even in BM cameras, include IR filters BUT they Bari in strength.

BM have been using very low IR filtration strengths that are fine under normal conditions until you alter the IR:Visible ratio (by adding ND).

If you are looking for Screw in options that work well with the BM cameras then the Hoya UV/IR Cut filter is pretty good and so used with the Hoya Pro ND give very neutral results.

Firecast ND from Formatt-Hitech are available in screw, 4x4 & 4x5 and work very well.

Hi, I can not imagine how two filters without 'Screw' options put together with my lens. I would like to ask you if it is possible to put my Hoya Pro ND filter with my sigma 18-35 lens at first, then the Hoya IR/UV on that Hoya ND filter? If this setup cause any vignetting, is there any way to overcome that? I really appreciate your help. Thanks your very much.

James Parker

PostSun Sep 24, 2017 9:17 pm

Hoya ir screw on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
J.Parker

Uli Plank

PostSun Sep 24, 2017 11:33 pm

From my testing the URSA Mini is far more prone to IR contamination than the Pro. The internal ND filters are pretty efficient in blocking IR too.

But for the older one I'd always use additional filtration. If the variable ND filters affect skin appearance negatively that might also be influenced by their polarizing effect.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Nate Follmer

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 7:16 pm

Humauin Kabir wrote:
adamroberts wrote:Most digital cameras need IR filtration. The sensor, even in BM cameras, include IR filters BUT they Bari in strength.

Hi, I can not imagine how two filters without 'Screw' options put together with my lens. I would like to ask you if it is possible to put my Hoya Pro ND filter with my sigma 18-35 lens at first, then the Hoya IR/UV on that Hoya ND filter? If this setup cause any vignetting, is there any way to overcome that? I really appreciate your help. Thanks your very much.

I have the Sigma Art 18-35 and the 50-100, so I bought the 82mm filters and use an adapter to run them on the smaller 18-35mm. I have a Hoya IR filter first, then my Hoya ND filter. I haven't noticed any vignetting on the 18-35 (obviously, the filters are bigger than the front element) and I also haven't noticed any on the 50-100.

Humauin Kabir

PostWed Sep 27, 2017 1:37 am

James Parker wrote:Hoya ir screw on

Thanks James. Just ordered one.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Humauin Kabir

PostWed Sep 27, 2017 1:45 am

Nate Follmer wrote:
Humauin Kabir wrote:

I have the Sigma Art 18-35 and the 50-100, so I bought the 82mm filters and use an adapter to run them on the smaller 18-35mm. I have a Hoya IR filter first, then my Hoya ND filter. I haven't noticed any vignetting on the 18-35 (obviously, the filters are bigger than the front element) and I also haven't noticed any on the 50-100.

Thanks Nate Follmer. Do you suggest to put IR filter on top of ND filter (or the other way around) so the light can hit the IR filter first)?

Nate Follmer

PostWed Sep 27, 2017 1:20 pm

I honestly couldn't tell the difference when I switched the order, so I put the IR filter first, then ND, then the lens. I haven't found any information regarding order, so I can't say that's the right way to do it, but it hasn't failed me yet :)

Humauin Kabir

PostWed Sep 27, 2017 10:02 pm

Nate Follmer wrote:I honestly couldn't tell the difference when I switched the order, so I put the IR filter first, then ND, then the lens. I haven't found any information regarding order, so I can't say that's the right way to do it, but it hasn't failed me yet :)

Thank you very much Nate.

Return to Cinematography