BPMCC external battery solution

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Anthony Flotte

BPMCC external battery solution

PostTue Oct 06, 2015 1:35 am

I need to find an alternate solution to the internal batteries for the BMPCC...Up until now, I have been shooting indoors or outdoors with extension cords, close to an outlet, and i have, mostly, not had to rely on the batteries.
This weekend, I traveled 3 hours to a remote location in the woods, to film some scenes... I burned through all my batteries and was unable to get all the shots i wanted...
I can never repeat this... Even if i had 20 batteries, stopping to change batteries every 20 minutes, kills time and momentum...
Any suggestions? something like the Anker 2nd Gen Astro Pro2?... or RAVPower? ...XTPower® MP-30000 Power Bank?.... Proaim Brick?
Thanks
Last edited by Anthony Flotte on Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anthony Flotte
The Lasagna Conspiracy
https://lasagnaconspiracy.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/lasagnaconspiracy
https://www.facebook.com/lasagnaconspiracy

freezy

Re: BPMCC external battery solution

PostTue Oct 06, 2015 1:54 am

I use an Astro Pro2. I had to build my own cord, but pretty simple. In addition to buying the Astro Pro2...you need to buy the connectors below. Not sure if these are the cheapest, but at least you get a picture.

0.7mm connector: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-35-0-7mm-DC-Tip-Plug-Connector-Lead-with-Cord-Cable-For-AC-Adapter-/251029011003?hash=item3a727eba3b

5.5 DC connector: http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Pairs-Male-and-Female-2-1x5-5mm-DC-Power-Plug-Jack-Adapter-Connector-For-CCTV-/161499577419?hash=item259a1ffc4b

Norbert Bielan

PostTue Oct 06, 2015 2:18 am

I used this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/7 ... ttery.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... cable.html

Seriously lasted more than 10 hours and was only down to 2 bars. Insane power for the pocket.

Anatoly Mashanov

PostTue Oct 06, 2015 2:42 am

I spent 400 Roubles (US$7) to used 14.4v notebook battery. It has the same 70Wh as Switronics $245. Of course, you need a connector and a charger. I have SkyRC 6x80+ charger and I recommend it since it charges every imaginable battery I would have.

Dave Perry

PostTue Oct 06, 2015 3:04 am

Switronix XP-L90S V-mounts are what I use:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3 ... thium.html

IMG_4959sm.jpg
IMG_4959sm.jpg (240.89 KiB) Viewed 11725 times
S1H
----------------------------------------------
Dave Perry Cinematographer LLC
Director of Photography • Camera Operator
524 N. Normandie Ave. Unit 2
Hollywood USA 90004
LAcinematographer.com

Michael Redden

PostWed Oct 07, 2015 5:28 am

Check out the Talentcell Rechargeable 6000mAh Li-Ion Battery Pack For LED Strip And CCTV Camera,12V DC Portable Lithium Ion Battery Bank With Charger

$25 on Amazon. I've been able to run four hours plus on the larger one and 2 hours on the smaller one. I did have to industrial Velcro it to my shoulder pad though because it doesn't come with any mounting solutions. May not necessarily be the prettiest option but it definitely is cost effective.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

JK Laiho

PostWed Oct 07, 2015 11:44 am

Not to hijack the thread, but this may be relevant for some people who are interested in the topic.

I recently made the investment to get an external power solution for the BMPCC. I got an Anker Astro Pro 2, the LanParte power cable and an adapter to fit that cable to the DC output on the Anker.

Sadly, there's a problem. When turned on and charging from the Anker, a very high-pitched whine is emitted from within the battery compartment. It's not very loud, but it is audible enough to be unpleasant, and it is scaring me off from charging with it. I have no idea what's causing this, and I'm hoping someone here would.

Details:

• When charging the BMPCC with the original AC adapter, no noise is emitted under any circumstances that I've found.
  • This noise can only be heard when the BMPCC is powered on AND charging from the Anker. If powered off while charging from the Anker, there's no noise.
  • If the battery is full, there is no noise, even if the BMPCC is powered on. Merely connecting the Anker doesn't produce the noise, the BMPCC battery has to actually be charging from it.
  • I've tried two different batteries, one of them used and one brand new. The noise occurs with both.
  • I'm using the Anker in 12V mode. It has a 9V mode, but that's not enough to charge the BMPCC at least while it's operational.

Here's the very simple cabling setup:

anker_cable.jpg
The Anker and its cables
anker_cable.jpg (490.34 KiB) Viewed 11614 times

Here are the output specs of the Anker:

anker_specs.jpg
The output specs of the Anker
anker_specs.jpg (503.31 KiB) Viewed 11614 times

And finally, the BMPCC AC adapter specs for reference:

power_brick.jpg
The BMPCC wall wart
power_brick.jpg (547.97 KiB) Viewed 11614 times

The only obvious difference that I can see is that the output of the Anker is 12V 1.5A, while on the BMPCC AC adapter it's 12V 0.84A. Could this be the reason? Is there some other thing I'm missing? (I don't know jack about electricity, sadly.)

Denny Smith

PostWed Oct 07, 2015 6:11 pm

No, it is not the Amp. Difference, the camera will only draw what it needs. You need at least a 1 Amp. 12VDC power source. I use external battery packs all the time, and never have any noise issues with my Pocket camera or external battery units. That said, what you are experiencing is what happens when a low DC voltage (less than. 12VDC) battery pack is used that employers a DC to DC converter. Like the Ankler. This battery pack is a battery (probably 9VDC) and a DC to DC power converter circuit that takes the 9VDC and ups I to 12 VDC, then when it is being maxed out, as in charging your battery, something in the DC/DC power supply is "singing". Also, these type of power supplies also can add "noise" to the camera through the power connection.

This is why I do not use these inexpensive power units. They are more trouble that they are worth. I use batteries that are rated at a minimum of 12VDC, 1.5Amp rating, no DC/DC converter required. The camera also has a DC/DC converter to take the 15-12VDC input and regulate to the 7.5 VDC it requires to run, so taking a DC power source and running it through two or more DC/DC power supplies is asking for trouble.

You can use two 7.2/7.5 VDC batteries in a dual plate like the IndiePro, which comes with the correct cable for the Pocket camera, it supplies 15VDC at the amp raring of the batteries used. It can use Sony L or Canon battery packs (you buy the model to match the battery you want to use). This will provide reliable "quiet" power for your camera. Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

JK Laiho

PostWed Oct 07, 2015 7:52 pm

Denny Smith wrote:That said, what you are experiencing is what happens when a low DC voltage (less than. 12VDC) battery pack is used that employers a DC to DC converter. Like the Ankler. This battery pack is a battery (probably 9VDC) and a DC to DC power converter circuit that takes the 9VDC and ups I to 12 VDC, then when it is being maxed out, as in charging your battery, something in the DC/DC power supply is "singing".

I may have misunderstood you, and I apologize if that's the case, but isn't what you're saying here implying that it ought to be the Anker that is "singing" while maxed out? Because it is the BMPCC that is making the noise while charging from the Anker, beyond any doubt, not the Anker -- and only when powered on. I just finished charging a powered-off BMPCC from 14% to 100% with the Anker, and there was no noise at all.

This is not to say that the Anker pack isn't somehow responsible, but I don't see how the device being charged would be making noise if it's the device doing the charging that's being maxed out.

Anatoly Mashanov

PostThu Oct 08, 2015 12:59 am

JK Laiho wrote:Because it is the BMPCC that is making the noise while charging from the Anker, beyond any doubt, not the Anker -- and only when powered on.

It's most possibly Anker which gives a terrible saw instead of 12vDC. Did you try to look at Anker output with an oscilloscope?

Denny Smith

PostThu Oct 08, 2015 1:29 am

The Ankler battery is causing the issue. Try another 12VDC battery, not a "boosted" battery like the Ankler, and your problem will go away. You did not make it clear, it was the BMPCC that was making the noise, in that case, do Not use the Ankler unit with it, you could cause damage to the Pocket camera's DC to DC power board.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

JK Laiho

PostThu Oct 08, 2015 8:20 am

Did you try to look at Anker output with an oscilloscope?

No, I don't have one.

The Ankler battery is causing the issue. Try another 12VDC battery, not a "boosted" battery like the Ankler, and your problem will go away. You did not make it clear, it was the BMPCC that was making the noise, in that case, do Not use the Ankler unit with it, you could cause damage to the Pocket camera's DC to DC power board.

Yeah, I realize now I was a bit ambiguous. Sorry about that! But yes, it looks like I'll need to abandon the Anker. I'm puzzled as to why this is happening though, because people seem to have had success with it and the BMPCC, this guy for example: reddit.com/r/bmpcc/comments/2i7bmh/external_battery_battery_suggestions/ckzvfrw

(Looks like I can't post actual URLs? :cry:)

Denny Smith

PostThu Oct 08, 2015 6:16 pm

The Ankler you have referenced is a 15Amp battery charger system, the one you have is a smaller 1.5Amp unit. Personally, I would not trust my $1K camera to an inferior Ankler battery unit, based on low voltage batteries, of dubious orgin. If you want long recording times Get a real battery solution like this that is easy to mount to a rig: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Nt ... av-Search=

You can also find similar products that feature a single battery for shorter 2hrs or so, recording times. They are available for several different battery makes, including Canonand Sony. The Sony L battery advantage is larger amp rating batteries are available. But, be careful buying non OEM batteries, I use Sony or Wasbi, they are reliable, you get what you pay for with batteries.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

John Sklba

PostThu Oct 08, 2015 11:44 pm

The XTPower 10000mAh External Battery Pack works great for me, but I can't seem to find them anymore...anyone know why?

Holden MacGroyen

PostFri Oct 09, 2015 7:44 am

John Sklba wrote:The XTPower 10000mAh External Battery Pack works great for me, but I can't seem to find them anymore...anyone know why?

They seem to come and go on Amazon.com. They were available up until a couple of weeks ago, but now they are offering this 31Ah monster: http://www.amazon.com/XTPower-10000mAh-Recorders-Sensation-Connectors/dp/B00935L44E/

Note that almost all of the reviews are for the 10000mAh version and that the top review is titled: "Perfect for BMPCC." I have three of them that I used on a feature shot with two BMPCCs (the third one powered the monitor).

At any rate, if you scroll down the page to the "also viewed" and "related sponsored" items, you might find a decent alternative.

David Regenthal

PostTue Oct 13, 2015 7:51 am

I've used a Tekkeon mp3450 to power video cameras and lots of other stuff for years.
Has been a good/cheap/reliable solution for me. tekkeon.com
Windows 11 Pro
ASUSTek PRIME B660-PLUS D4 (LGA1700)
Intel i9-12900KF
128GB, nVidia RTX 4000
Samsung SSD 980 Pro 2TB (x3)

Patrick Finnegan

PostWed Oct 14, 2015 7:55 am

I found a cable that is the correct interface for the pocket camera with the 2.35mm X .7mm right angle adapter here
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-35-0-7mm-DC-T ... 1046569183

I soldered that to an iKan BP2T-SU BP-U Series DV Battery Plate
http://www.avalive.com/IKAN/BP2T-SU/143 ... fgodoKINeg

and power my pocket cinema camera with relatively inexpensive but high capacity Sony BPU 12 volt batteries

A ¼ /20 screw mount on the ikan plate makes it easy to adapt to my BMPCC cage.
Finnegan's Wake Films
Director/ Cameraman

Denny Smith

PostWed Oct 14, 2015 4:29 pm

You can buy this Ikan type plate already made up,with a Pocket camera cable/plug, check eBay.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Leon Benzakein

PostWed Oct 14, 2015 5:47 pm

Denny Smith wrote:You can buy this Ikan type plate already made up,with a Pocket camera cable/plug, check eBay.

Check Ikan website:

http://ikancorp.com/productlisting.php?id=187

although I do like the right angle plug idea.
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

Venkitachalam Renganathan

PostTue Sep 12, 2017 6:16 pm

Friends,
I am from India. I got hooked to this camera about three months back. The first worry for me was the battery. Searched this forum, and other ones. Finally I fixed this with:

Sony F970 Battery -Powerpak-F970-Li-ion-Digital-Camera-Battery-Sony-F970-Battery

Adapter plate for the above Battery-Mount-Plate-DC-Plug-15mm-Rod-Clamp-for-Sony-F970-BMPCC-BMCC-Camera-

No problems.

Venki

Flavio Filho

PostMon Oct 30, 2017 3:15 pm

Hello.

One of my first posts. :)

What I'm after is a RUGGED Power bank as a reliable solution. Think this is important.
Like the "EasyAcc 20000mAh Rugged Outdoor Power Bank with IP67 Waterproof". Or the "FosPower PowerActive 10200 mAh Power Bank - 2.1A USB Output ".

Does anyone know if these would work?

What should I look for in Power Banks to make sure they would work with the BMPCC?
What is the "mAh", and other things to look after in these power banks to make sure they work with the BMPCC?

Thanks,
Flavio

Anatoly Mashanov

PostTue Oct 31, 2017 2:32 am

Flavio Filho wrote:Like the "EasyAcc 20000mAh Rugged Outdoor Power Bank with IP67 Waterproof". Or the "FosPower PowerActive 10200 mAh Power Bank - 2.1A USB Output ".

Most possibly NO.

As I could understand from EBay listings of EasyAcc, this device is specifically built to supply USB power (5V) while BMPCC requires 12V or at least slightly higher than 2 LiPol topped (8.4V). And if you see 12v 20000mAh written on it - then most possibly the wisebottom producer just put there a 20000mAh 3.6V battery and up-converter.

There are some variants that are expected to work and they depend on depth of your pockets. The cheapest is just to buy a notebook battery with 10.8 or 14.4 volts and a drone charger (In condition that you make a suitable connector yourself). The most expensive is the special cinematography battery with V or Gold mount , the power tools batteries fit in between. The lightest are 3 or 4 cell drone batteries, the heaviest one is a car battery.

Seriously, drone battery and drone charger is a nice choice just because the drone charger charges everything imaginable including your car battery. The drone battery 10AH is US$50 and it holds 150% of juice compared to 20AH EasyAcc just because of 3x voltage. I have SkyRC 6x80plus but there are many other new models available. SkyRC T6755 for instance.

Flavio Filho

PostTue Oct 31, 2017 12:38 pm

Anatoly Mashanov wrote:
Flavio Filho wrote:Like the "EasyAcc 20000mAh Rugged Outdoor Power Bank with IP67 Waterproof". Or the "FosPower PowerActive 10200 mAh Power Bank - 2.1A USB Output ".

Most possibly NO.

As I could understand from EBay listings of EasyAcc, this device is specifically built to supply USB power (5V) while BMPCC requires 12V or at least slightly higher than 2 LiPol topped (8.4V). And if you see 12v 20000mAh written on it - then most possibly the wisebottom producer just put there a 20000mAh 3.6V battery and up-converter.

There are some variants that are expected to work and they depend on depth of your pockets. The cheapest is just to buy a notebook battery with 10.8 or 14.4 volts and a drone charger (In condition that you make a suitable connector yourself). The most expensive is the special cinematography battery with V or Gold mount , the power tools batteries fit in between. The lightest are 3 or 4 cell drone batteries, the heaviest one is a car battery.

Seriously, drone battery and drone charger is a nice choice just because the drone charger charges everything imaginable including your car battery. The drone battery 10AH is US$50 and it holds 150% of juice compared to 20AH EasyAcc just because of 3x voltage. I have SkyRC 6x80plus but there are many other new models available. SkyRC T6755 for instance.

Hey Anatoly.

Thanks! Wow! That is a nice tip!

I've seen two models:
Integy RC Model Hop-ups C24904 SKYRC T6200 Digital Multifunctional 200W
Integy RC Model Hop-ups C24867 Sky RC T6755 AC/DC Touch Screen Battery Charger

Are these, "Integy" brand that you mean?

I need it to be small, compact, and lightweight.
I will check more options of this brand and line, but if you have any other models that are small, please let me know.

Thanks,
Flavio

Chris Leutger

PostWed Nov 01, 2017 1:36 am

I use the Magic Power Juicebox and it's served me well. They have a new one that has a display that tells you how much is left etc. I like that they come with a plate to mount to whatever. In my case I have a tripod clip with a screw that I put it on.

http://juicebox.direct/product/jbmp-02/
Amateur Auteur

AMD 7800X3d 8c 5 GHz - GSkill DDR5-6000 (EXPO) 32x2
Nvidia 1080 Ti 8GB - WD SN850x 2 TB
Resolve 18.5 - Ubuntu 22.04

Keith Babineaux

PostWed Nov 01, 2017 3:03 am

Chris Leutger wrote:I use the Magic Power Juicebox and it's served me well. They have a new one that has a display that tells you how much is left etc. I like that they come with a plate to mount to whatever. In my case I have a tripod clip with a screw that I put it on.

+1
Keith Babineaux | Film Graduate | Full Sail University

Claudio Monni

PostSat Nov 04, 2017 9:15 pm

Chris Leutger wrote:I use the Magic Power Juicebox and it's served me well. They have a new one that has a display that tells you how much is left etc. I like that they come with a plate to mount to whatever. In my case I have a tripod clip with a screw that I put it on.

Does it possible to power a Micro Camera and a Video Assist 5" simultaneously with the same battery?

Claudio Monni

PostSat Nov 04, 2017 9:50 pm

Dave Perry wrote:Switronix XP-L90S V-mounts are what I use:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3 ... thium.html

The attachment IMG_4959sm.jpg is no longer available

I'm very sorry Dave Perry for my ignorance but I'm wondering what is the plate with 2 plugs under the battery in your picture I've reposted here in this post. My other question is: does it needs something else other than one battery to power a micro camera and an external video assist 5" monitor or is it possible to power both simultaneously with one battery? If is possible to power simultaneously with one battery is needed some hub to plug each power cables or the batteries are provided with multiple output power socket?
Attachments
IMG_4959sm.jpg
IMG_4959sm.jpg (240.89 KiB) Viewed 8972 times

Tristan Pemberton

PostSun Nov 05, 2017 2:30 am

Claudio Monni wrote:Does it possible to power a Micro Camera and a Video Assist 5" simultaneously with the same battery?

Claudio, this is my BMPCC Super 16 rig. Everything on the camera is powered from one V-lock battery - including some extras that aren't currently attached.

The battery mounts to a power distribution unit which has multiple outputs at various different voltages. It's also got a direct D-tap, as does the battery.

What you see in the photo is:

Pocket Camera (12v)
Atomos Ninja 2 (7.2v)
BeachTek DXA-SLR Audio preamp (9v)
+ Occasionally a camera light (D-tap 12v)

DSCF3666 sm 2.jpg
Tristan BMPCC S16 rig
DSCF3666 sm 2.jpg (529.44 KiB) Viewed 8958 times

You could us this same rig with the Micro Cinema Camera, and replace the Ninja 2 with the VA 5".
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Chris Leutger

PostSun Nov 05, 2017 3:24 am

Claudio Monni wrote:
Does it possible to power a Micro Camera and a Video Assist 5" simultaneously with the same battery?

Yes, you can get a DC Splitter cable with the Juicebox and power two devices.
Amateur Auteur

AMD 7800X3d 8c 5 GHz - GSkill DDR5-6000 (EXPO) 32x2
Nvidia 1080 Ti 8GB - WD SN850x 2 TB
Resolve 18.5 - Ubuntu 22.04

Claudio Monni

PostSun Nov 05, 2017 6:14 am

Tristan Pemberton wrote:The battery mounts to a power distribution unit which has multiple outputs at various different voltages. It's also got a direct D-tap, as does the battery.

Thank you Tristan for your important contribution, as I really new in this world, could you please take a picture of this "power distribution unit with multiple outputs" or tell me which model is? Is not a battery right is a tool other than it?

Tristan Pemberton

PostSun Nov 05, 2017 8:06 am

Claudio Monni wrote:
Tristan Pemberton wrote:The battery mounts to a power distribution unit which has multiple outputs at various different voltages. It's also got a direct D-tap, as does the battery.

Thank you Tristan for your important contribution, as I really new in this world, could you please take a picture of this "power distribution unit with multiple outputs" or tell me which model is? Is not a battery right is a tool other than it?

This is the one I use.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... m_for.html

But there's loads of different models/versions out there varying in price and features.

If you haven't already invested in v-lock batteries, you have a choice of v-lock or AB (Anton Bauer) batteries. They both do the same thing, but have a different locking/mounting design. The AB batteries are probably more secure, but usually more expensive.

Here's the current range at BH Photo Video:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Moun ... 4028759422
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Claudio Monni

PostSun Nov 05, 2017 9:59 pm

Thank you Tristan, you are very thorough.

Return to Cinematography