Conversation with CVP in the UK

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

neil_jd

Conversation with CVP in the UK

PostFri Jan 11, 2013 1:56 pm

I've posted just recently on where I currently hold pre-order for the camera - I decided to call another company to try and gauge delivery estimates and spoke to Creative Video productions in the UK, this is the one Phillip Bloom has name dropped before.

Spoke to a very helpful person who was well aware of the situation with the camera and said that they had spoke with BMD this past Monday and that they had been told not to give any proposed dates out to people still and that it was a "wait and see" situation. Now, this person put on what felt like a bit of a sales person act, they were very nice but I guess you could argue they were taking the opportunity to look, in the very least, more honest about expectations and that they might be a better than a competitor.

Honestly I won't be changing my order as I was also told they had well over 200 pre-orders and I happen to know for a fact that I'm number 12 with my current seller (which I guess could also be a sales tactic but I have the number 12 on a bit of paper, what can I say? haha)

Anyway, it was an interesting phone call, one that has me a tad concerned for those of us in the UK with regards to when we might start seeing the camera in volume, or at least....when we might start seeing them trickle in.

Tom

Re: Conversation with CVP in the UK

PostFri Jan 11, 2013 2:47 pm

CVP have received 6 units so far (1 of which is a demo unit - not for sale)

The rate they now seem to be arriving at CVP is 2 a week (2 last week, 2 this week)

If you have ever dealt with CVP before, you will know that their customer service is excellent. Of course if you speak to them they will be very nice - its just good business sense to be nice and to try to sound open and honest, salesperson speak or not - its common business practice. It's probably why they seem to be doing so well.

If BMD have asked them to not give out specific dates or forecasts, I would speculate it is because BMD are not entirely confident with dates and times either. Hardly surprising because ramping up to full capacity mass production can take a bit of time, synchronising suppliers for parts and dispatching can initially reduce production efficiency.

I make no apologies for BMD or CVP, I am annoyed I do not have my camera yet, but I also understand the situation as it has been described to me and can appreciate the difficult position both reseller and manufacturer are in. Some might choose to believe that the description is not entirely truthful - but I see no reason to suspect this, nor do I consider this stance to be productive to the situation. Others might consider the situation as described to be truthful and so a sign of mismanagement, I have never attempted to launch my own camera, so I can hardly comment on how it should be managed, as this is BMD's first camera - I am willing to cut them some slack.

My main concern at this time is the apparent inconsistent distribution of cameras between countries/resellers. If BMD could confirm or deny that the distribution is supposed to be equal, or in order of when each reseller ordered cameras, that would perhaps clear up the confusion.

Please don't consider my reply to be an attack on you or anything, I really do appreciate you sharing your communication with a reseller (especially as they are my reseller :-p ), I only wanted to share my own data on this particular reseller and my general stance on this whole situation.

I hope you get your camera soon :-)
Tom Majerski
Colourist at Tracks and Layers
http://www.Tracksandlayers.com
Motion Graphics - Colour Grading - VFX

neil_jd

Re: Conversation with CVP in the UK

PostFri Jan 11, 2013 5:24 pm

Tom wrote:CVP have received 6 units so far (1 of which is a demo unit - not for sale)

The rate they now seem to be arriving at CVP is 2 a week (2 last week, 2 this week)

If you have ever dealt with CVP before, you will know that their customer service is excellent. Of course if you speak to them they will be very nice - its just good business sense to be nice and to try to sound open and honest, salesperson speak or not - its common business practice. It's probably why they seem to be doing so well.

If BMD have asked them to not give out specific dates or forecasts, I would speculate it is because BMD are not entirely confident with dates and times either. Hardly surprising because ramping up to full capacity mass production can take a bit of time, synchronising suppliers for parts and dispatching can initially reduce production efficiency.

I make no apologies for BMD or CVP, I am annoyed I do not have my camera yet, but I also understand the situation as it has been described to me and can appreciate the difficult position both reseller and manufacturer are in. Some might choose to believe that the description is not entirely truthful - but I see no reason to suspect this, nor do I consider this stance to be productive to the situation. Others might consider the situation as described to be truthful and so a sign of mismanagement, I have never attempted to launch my own camera, so I can hardly comment on how it should be managed, as this is BMD's first camera - I am willing to cut them some slack.

My main concern at this time is the apparent inconsistent distribution of cameras between countries/resellers. If BMD could confirm or deny that the distribution is supposed to be equal, or in order of when each reseller ordered cameras, that would perhaps clear up the confusion.

Please don't consider my reply to be an attack on you or anything, I really do appreciate you sharing your communication with a reseller (especially as they are my reseller :-p ), I only wanted to share my own data on this particular reseller and my general stance on this whole situation.

I hope you get your camera soon :-)

Fair points and don't worry I don't want any kind of argument like some other posters on the forum. My concern has just grown a little as we've come into the new year and projects I'd outlined the camera for creep closer - its purely frustration which we can all relate to.

And to be honest, the fair allocation across territories is the real concern for me too. I'd be at ease if I'd heard about people getting them in the UK but it just seems to be very quiet and with my reseller being pretty slack it just hasn't helped.

Im happy to wait and will continue to do so - ditto on getting your camera too :-)

Return to Cinematography