BMPCC Final Version?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Dave Monak

BMPCC Final Version?

PostSat Oct 10, 2015 3:09 pm

Noticed that all the recent firmware updates have not applied to the BMPCC. Is it now in its final version?
I was hoping for 60fps, like the new Video Assist.
Other than the 30fps, I do love my BMPCC.
My only other wish is for a internal battery with longer life.

Denny Smith

Re: BMPCC Final Version?

PostSat Oct 10, 2015 5:06 pm

You are Not going to get 60fps with the Pocket, camera hardware will not support it. Mic you need 60fps, the new Micro Cinema camera will do 60fps in rolling shutter, and up to 30fps in global shutter.

As for Pocket firmware, not much left to do, except possibly add program choice for arrow buttons, like using left/right arrow buttons for Color Temp. setting, or changing ISO, when you do not need them for Iris control on native MFT lenses. Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Jason R. Johnston

PostSun Oct 11, 2015 1:11 am

Firmware for ALL current BMD cameras is ongoing and none of us are going to know when the very final version will be. BMD continues to support every camera with firmware. This question is years old.
JASONRJOHNSTON.COM | CINEMATOGRAPHER | DIRECTOR | EDITOR | COLORIST
RED Komodo | DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5 | 2023 MacBook M2 Pro 14

Dylan Neild

PostSun Oct 11, 2015 1:32 am

Sure, BMD updates it's cameras constantly but from a hardware point of view there's just no way there will ever be higher frame rates for the Pocket / Cinema / Production cameras.

Mark Jamerson

PostSun Oct 11, 2015 2:58 pm

If they gave us a 4:3 mode on the Pocket that would be the last thing I could ever ask for with this camera
Mark Jamerson
Jamerson Studios

Craig Seeman

PostSun Oct 11, 2015 6:02 pm

At this point I'd like to see some convenience/ease of use changes in access certain BMPCC feature functions.

Currently the Focus button is pressed once for Auto Focus. I suspect people rarely use that.
It's pressed twice for Focus Peaking. I suspect that's much more common.
Although, I usually leave Focus Peaking engaged now that's remembered when powering off/on.
I'd like to see these reversed.

Currently Focus Zoom requires a double press of the OK button which is a common function.
Single tapping the OK button brings up the Slate menu. I have a hunch, given the chore it is to change this info, it's not commonly used.
I'd like to see these reversed as well.

In other words use single tap for the more commonly used button functions.

I really wish there were some way to improve the accuracy of the battery remaining.
It's not fun when it shuts off in the middle of a take because you think you have significant power left.

christiangruner

PostFri Oct 16, 2015 8:45 am

Craig Seeman wrote:At this point I'd like to see some convenience/ease of use changes in access certain BMPCC feature functions.

Currently the Focus button is pressed once for Auto Focus. I suspect people rarely use that.
It's pressed twice for Focus Peaking. I suspect that's much more common.
Although, I usually leave Focus Peaking engaged now that's remembered when powering off/on.
I'd like to see these reversed.

Currently Focus Zoom requires a double press of the OK button which is a common function.
Single tapping the OK button brings up the Slate menu. I have a hunch, given the chore it is to change this info, it's not commonly used.
I'd like to see these reversed as well.

In other words use single tap for the more commonly used button functions.

I really wish there were some way to improve the accuracy of the battery remaining.
It's not fun when it shuts off in the middle of a take because you think you have significant power left.

I use my BMPCC for aerials, so I use that one-touch autofocus a lot. Focusing on the distance I am about to fly, and then get craft airborne with fixed focus.

Return to Cinematography