Shipping dates

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Eric Santiago

Re: Shipping dates

PostMon Sep 10, 2012 4:23 pm

boukmanmutt wrote:"Mid to late September maybe".

They say the same here in Italy... I think they don't have a clue at all

My original post of the Green Day song "Wake me up when September ends..." is starting to sound just right :(

Scott R McCartney

PostMon Sep 10, 2012 6:14 pm

Eric Santiago wrote:
boukmanmutt wrote:"Mid to late September maybe".

They say the same here in Italy... I think they don't have a clue at all

My original post of the Green Day song "Wake me up when September ends..." is starting to sound just right :(

from CVP (Sept 4th)

"At the moment, there are no Blackmagic Cinema Cameras currently in the UK...

...We have 200+ units currently on order with Blackmagic which will cover our pre-orders...

Blackmagic have informed us that we will be receiving an initial shipment of 30 units which means unfortunately your order is just outside of this first allocation."

from twitter CVP Group ‏@CVPgroup (8th Sept)

"Blackmagic Design Cinema Camera delivery update: Mass Production is stalled by component shortages so deliveries will be tiny in short term."

"....suspect that we'll get 1 or 2 cameras a week at best for the next few months :( "

Sounds like production has been hit by a pretty serious delay, and if CVP's estimate is correct then the limited shipping is indeed very limited, so it may optimistic to expect delivery before the end of the year unless you're right at the front of the queue. I would expect the situation is the similar regardless of where orders were placed.

Here's hoping the delay is short term and they can ramp things up soon, but lets not get our hopes up too high ;)

PaulDelVecchio

PostMon Sep 10, 2012 7:56 pm

Ahh that kinda sucks. If I have to wait long enough, I might just switch over to the MFT mount if the delay brings delivery of mine closer to Dec.
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv

Nick Smith

PostTue Sep 11, 2012 12:31 am

I can't imagine that CVP's information is accurate. Limited shipping is one thing; but that would be ridiculous. I wouldn't receive my camera until July!

RichDorato

PostTue Sep 11, 2012 12:42 am

Well, to date I think only 8 units have shipped to the US, so it doesn't seem too off.
www.whoatemyteeth.com

PetePolyakov

PostTue Sep 11, 2012 1:37 am

I think nobody said better about the frustration with BMD...

"I contacted ADORAMA today and was told "sometime in September". I called my client and said. I'll like to confirm the shooting schedule starting "sometime in September. ***!" (c) one of the users of this forum.

Joel Crane

PostTue Sep 11, 2012 1:55 am

PetePolyakov wrote:I think nobody said better about the frustration with BMD...

"I contacted ADORAMA today and was told "sometime in September". I called my client and said. I'll like to confirm the shooting schedule starting "sometime in September. ***!" (c) one of the users of this forum.

Well regardless of delivery status of this camera, it was kind of silly scheduling a shoot project with a camera you didn't have secure in your hands already... Anybody who's been around camera releases before will tell you, this kind of thing can happen. It's just the nature of the beast.

Joel Crane

- Photographer - Filmmaker - Superhero -
www.joelcranephotography.com

Eric Santiago

PostTue Sep 11, 2012 2:17 am

Joel Crane wrote:Well regardless of delivery status of this camera, it was kind of silly scheduling a shoot project with a camera you didn't have secure in your hands already... Anybody who's been around camera releases before will tell you, this kind of thing can happen. It's just the nature of the beast.

So true and you can replace the word camera with computer, software, peripherals, etc...
Use whats secured and tested, don't take a chance like that on a real project.

PetePolyakov

PostTue Sep 11, 2012 2:51 am

Joel Crane wrote:
PetePolyakov wrote:Well regardless of delivery status of this camera, it was kind of silly scheduling a shoot project with a camera you didn't have secure in your hands already... Anybody who's been around camera releases before will tell you, this kind of thing can happen. It's just the nature of the beast.

Sure it was wrong to count on the product that wasn't on the shelf in the store. but as an expression (and i'm kinda underlined that i'm talking about the expression) i think nobody said better than that guy. i was laughing a lot. :-)

PetePolyakov

PostTue Sep 11, 2012 3:35 am

Nick Bedford wrote:I can't really do anything about shipping/manufacturing delays, but I can get tired of having no idea when it may come (which is much better just to know, even if it is delayed).

Agree Nick.

I like when I see trailers with a "coming soon" sign there.. i would say, can't wait too see it.
but when you bought a ticket, "coming soon" instead "9pm show", doesn't work.

many ways to find the right way to communicate with the customers. some companies use it, some companies don't. and good thing about it, you spent not too much money to get this experience.

next time we will think twice before to make a pre-order of anything from nontransparent companies. they are not bad at all, i would say, but they are not good enough to invest my money in the product that i don't see yet on the shelf in the store.

Peter J. Odio

PostTue Sep 11, 2012 3:44 am

"I contacted ADORAMA today and was told "sometime in September". I called my client and said. I'll like to confirm the shooting schedule starting "sometime in September. ***!"

This was me. And yes, we have other cameras, and yes, we did the shoot with the RED ONE.

The point was that an estimated delivery date would have been appreciated, specially since the scheduled release was July.

Blackmagic has to handle this with some finesse, remember, many of us waited for months until November 3rd when RED announced the $6K, 3K, Fixed lens Scarlet, only to see our dreams shattered with a
$18K EpicMini.

So, it's been a long wait, and we can't stop asking ..."are we there yet"
Last edited by Peter J. Odio on Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luke Armstrong

PostTue Sep 11, 2012 10:27 am

I think for me, the issue is that from the consumer perspective it feels like we're being mislead - obviously the release has slipped further and further back and the reality is that for all intents and purposes, its still not shipping, but we're being told it is because 'a handful' of cameras made it out the door.

Realistically, we all knew BMD would struggle to hit that July deadline - they did themselves no favours by setting such a short space of time to finish the camera, but I put that down to lack of experience in the field and wanting to make the best product possible.

They're now in a sticky situation - they have been relatively honest recently about the limited supply, and the issues with manufacture. Unfortunately those who pre-ordered and can't afford another camera will inevitibly revisit their options and some will cancel - I know that CVP lost at least 20 since preorders started as my position has lowered!

Given BMD's efforts to incorporate customer suggestions and the upcoming MFT version, on balance it is clear to me that BMD means well, despite its short comings in information.

If possible, it would be nice to have realistic estimates on when approved resellers will begin recieving stock, so that we draw our own conclusions and can plan our work accordingly!
Luke Armstrong - Digital Compositor
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4274789/

Sean

PostTue Sep 11, 2012 7:49 pm

I contacted B&H today trying to get a number or units or when more would be expected to ship. This is the exact response I received.

"we have started to ship them, however the amount that we received was a very, very small amount. We are expecting another shipment in 2-4 business weeks. Once we have received them and have processed it we will notify you via email"

I couldn't get any more info than that. I'll ask again in another 2 weeks.
Sean Scannell
Ordered EF mount from B&H on 08/19/12. Received on 04/12/13.

Enrico Trippa

PostTue Sep 11, 2012 10:31 pm

Hi, do you guys think the december MFT release date can actually be respected or will it more like what happened with the EF model?
Filmmaker
http://enricoatwork.com

Eric Santiago

PostTue Sep 11, 2012 11:58 pm

rheex wrote:Hi, do you guys think the december MFT release date can actually be respected or will it more like what happened with the EF model?

As much as I think how late the EF mount is, I dont believe the MFT will suffer the same fate.
I think BMD is trying to get the EF out the door.

PetePolyakov

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 12:05 am

Sean wrote:we have started to ship them, however the amount that we received was a very, very small amount. We are expecting another shipment in 2-4 business weeks.

Probably they received around 1-2 units.. it's kinda bothering that in B&H don't want to give the information what's your number and how many orders shipped already.

John MacFadyen

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 5:39 am

The wait is starting to get bad. I expected it to me late, but not quite this bad with no idea whats going on. Going out of state for a shoot in 5 weeks, and in 4 weeks I'm going to have to look at buying another camera instead.

The not knowing is the worst part I think.

RichDorato

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 7:46 am

From what I understand, I'm almost positive you won't see the cam in the next four weeks...
www.whoatemyteeth.com

steisimo

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 10:58 am

Hi.
Just spoke to a reliably source.
Black magic themselves said that only 7 cameras are shipped out so far. There will be a second shipment very soon, but just a handful, that goes out to more test people.
He was also quite sure that I wouldn´t get my camera until MAYBE sometime in november:-(
I`m nr 3 I think, on the preorder list in Norway :D
So don`t expect your little darling anytime soon.
Stein Simonsen
3d designer

Nick Bedford

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 11:12 am

Ideally, that's not the case...

Pretty poor of Blackmagic if it is. They should be sending units to customers, not testers. It's supposed to be a finished product currently in shipping.

But hey. It's only 12 days into September. Even shipping takes its own time so it's hard to say what is happening.
Nick Bedford, Photographer
http://www.nickbedford.com/

Margus Voll

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 1:10 pm

just ordered mine.

i'm sure it will be finished by the end of october.
Margus Voll, CSI

http://www.iconstudios.eu
margus (at) iconstudios.eu
IG: margusvoll

Mark Wilhelm

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 3:28 pm

PetePolyakov wrote:
Sean wrote:we have started to ship them, however the amount that we received was a very, very small amount. We are expecting another shipment in 2-4 business weeks.

Probably they received around 1-2 units.. it's kinda bothering that in B&H don't want to give the information what's your number and how many orders shipped already.

No hardware business orders manufactured technology goods in quantities of one or two unless they're prototypes. I've worked with computer peripheral and enclosure manufacturers in the past. They often fab their prototypes on-site (like BM did with the BMCC test units), but once a final spec is decided upon manufacturing is offloaded to a third party.

Can't say for sure if BM does the same, but BMCC is no longer a prototype. ;)

RichDorato

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 3:57 pm

I believe it is still being hand calibrated on site, hence why only 7 or 8 units so far have made it to the US. Glorified prototype cams (rumored to be re-flashed demo units). No word on when this will start being mass produced.

Then when it starts production it will have to be sent out to the distro after, who them sends it to the reseller who sends it to you. So, I'm guessing we won't see this cam meet the pre-orders for many months.
www.whoatemyteeth.com

Mark Wilhelm

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 4:16 pm

whoatemyteeth wrote:I believe it is still being hand calibrated on site, hence why only 7 or 8 units so far have made it to the US. Glorified prototype cams (rumored to be re-flashed demo units). No word on when this will start being mass produced.

I believe I read something about that on a NAB newsblog a while ago but assumed the hand-assembly was over already due to the amount of videos and articles being released this past month. Obviously none of us know the full story at this moment, but I'm confident BM will clear things up soon.

Eric Santiago

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 4:18 pm

Dont know how much of this is real or not.
http://www.televisual.com/news-detail/I ... -1981.html

PetePolyakov

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 4:45 pm

Margus Voll wrote:just ordered mine.

i'm sure it will be finished by the end of october.

good wish

PetePolyakov

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 4:56 pm

Mark Wilhelm wrote:No hardware business orders manufactured technology goods in quantities of one or two unless they're prototypes. I've worked with computer peripheral and enclosure manufacturers in the past. They often fab their prototypes on-site (like BM did with the BMCC test units), but once a final spec is decided upon manufacturing is offloaded to a third party.

BM will never sacrifice quality for quantity..

Mark Wilhelm

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 5:08 pm

PetePolyakov wrote:
Mark Wilhelm wrote:No hardware business orders manufactured technology goods in quantities of one or two unless they're prototypes. I've worked with computer peripheral and enclosure manufacturers in the past. They often fab their prototypes on-site (like BM did with the BMCC test units), but once a final spec is decided upon manufacturing is offloaded to a third party.

BM will never sacrifice quality for quantity..

Good on them. Neither would I! I abuse my poor DSLR's delete button all the time. ;)

bhook

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 5:23 pm

BMC doesn't have a delete button...Everything you shoot with it is fantastic. :D

Andrew Usher

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 5:39 pm

We could do with some clarity on the situation, especially with distributors giving all sorts of replies.

Andrew.

RichDorato

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 6:00 pm

Apparently Jigsaw is saying stock is not shipping until the end of this year and that this is the same situation with all resellers.
www.whoatemyteeth.com

Scott R McCartney

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 6:27 pm

whoatemyteeth wrote:Apparently Jigsaw is saying stock is not shipping until the end of this year and that this is the same situation with all resellers.

Is that regarding EF or MFT model? Or both? :o

RichDorato

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 6:28 pm

That's for the EF
www.whoatemyteeth.com

George Wharmby

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 6:43 pm

a bit depressing. I guess i'll to put all shoots back to next year and start up an animation project....

kk5hy

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 6:52 pm

End of the year?
I can't believe we're only hearing hear say and vendor information.
If it's the end of the year, BlackMagic should say so.

I'll give it until September 28 to hear some concrete information. If not I'll cancel my pre-order and take advantage of the 2 year 0% finance for the Canon C300 which I was going to get at NAB when I heard about the BMC

I have two DSLR's that I currently shoot with but I need a higher bitrate camera for a shoot in November.
Last edited by kk5hy on Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Margus Voll

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 6:52 pm

i'm not depressed as i can shoot now with red or alexa if needed.

they all can be rented.

if any production work there is a way to do it. can not blame bm on that.

it comes when it comes like heinz ketchup from the bottle.
Margus Voll, CSI

Coralio Ballester

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 6:56 pm

Definitely, I am going to forget about the BMCC and buy an iPhone 5.

Aaron Nanto

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 7:03 pm

coralio1 wrote:Definitely, I am going to forget about the BMCC and buy an iPhone 5.

Now that's an upgrade! :roll: Windows Phone 8 for me...

But keeping on topic, whatever happens, happens. I've paid for my EF camera and while I WISH I had the camera 2 weeks ago (already could have used it on 2 shoots) I'll be even more happy once it comes.
Last edited by Aaron Nanto on Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
// Aaron

George Wharmby

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 7:09 pm

Atleast SSD's will be cheaper by the time it comes out.

Aaron Nanto

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 7:12 pm

George Wharmby wrote:Atleast SSD's will be cheaper by the time it comes out.

EXACTLY why I haven't bought my 512GB yet. Once I get confirmation of the camera shipping to me via UPS, then I'm buying my SSD.
--
// Aaron

George Wharmby

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 7:15 pm

Aaron Nanto wrote:
George Wharmby wrote:Atleast SSD's will be cheaper by the time it comes out.

EXACTLY why I haven't bought my 512GB yet. Once I get confirmation of the camera shipping to me via UPS, then I'm buying my SSD.

I'm doing that with pretty much everything, I've pretty much worked with Dp's over the years and while i know how to work a camera I've never personally owned one. So every order is fresh for me, lenses, rigs etc. At least this wait give me more time to make the decision...it would have been nice for it to ship in the end of august, but I know I would have panic bought everything.

Antonio Rosiello

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 7:53 pm

Ok guys,

but the thing is getting a little bit ridicolous...end of the year...that's a 6 month delay!

Margus Voll

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 9:54 pm

that seems to me just out of blue gossip.
Margus Voll, CSI

Bill Rich

PostThu Sep 13, 2012 3:52 am

I remember 3 or more years ago when Canon posted Vincent Laforet's film "Reverie" shot with their brand new 5D mark 2 camera with the HD video record function... People went NUTS! There was a huge run on the camera.. and the camera giant Canon could not keep up with demand.. the cameras they sent to retailers were sold before they can even update their websites to say 'in stock' I had to wait for months to finally get my 5Dmk2 even when the camera was in full production. Now leap forward to the current date.. A company announces a camera as revolutionary as the 5Dmk2 was years ago.. and there is a similar run on this low priced Cinema camera.. Here's the difference.. Blackmagic Design is not a camera manufacturer.. they are starting from the ground up manufacturing this ground breaking new camera.. so the infrastructure first has to be built. the parts assembled from third parties.. (the cost for making the camera non-proprietary).. then the cameras can be built and shipped out to the throngs of filmmakers that have plopped down their hard earned cash.. (including me).. I waited for my 5D mark 2.. and now I'm waiting for my BMCC! the folks that have paid for their Digital Bolex cameras are waiting for their camera.. as well as the folks that are now waiting for their C100.. VG900.. etc.. the difference is our beloved BMCC is a real working camera.. soon to be shipped and in our hot little hands.. as we scan the web for accessories, batteries.. SSD's.. and watching the next BMCC video..
Just remember..
Patience is the companion of wisdom.
~Saint Augustine
Bill Rich
PhotoJournalist/Editor/Producer
Los Angeles, California

PetePolyakov

PostThu Sep 13, 2012 3:58 am

mhood wrote:BMC doesn't have a delete button... Everything you shoot with it is fantastic. :D

and special "siri" mode that over voiced by James Cameron..

PetePolyakov

PostThu Sep 13, 2012 4:14 am

Margus Voll wrote: can not blame bm on that.

if they couldn't full charge for the camera that doesn't exist until present days for 99.95% of the customers.. i would say - Margus, you're right and just let's wait. i was a loyal bmd customer of last 4 years.

but when people full charged your card.. when customers invested in rigs, batteries, ssd, thunderbolt readers, upgraded their systems.. and they based their expenses on official announces..

and what we see after 45 days when first shipping had to happen?
the BMC lied about "july/august/september" shipping (in this nontransparent situation i can't give any other name to this announces) .. very shady. basically, they mislead their customers.

shame.

i know that i coming out very aggressive way, but i hope in bmd understand that it's just a suggestion to be honest and transparent with their customers. it's real look at the situation as a customer. we live in the xxi century where blunders like that pregnant with fatal consequences for reputation of the company.

PetePolyakov

PostThu Sep 13, 2012 4:20 am

coralio1 wrote:Definitely, I am going to forget about the BMCC and buy an iPhone 5.

good choice. i would order siri with James Cameron over voice :-)

PetePolyakov

PostThu Sep 13, 2012 4:21 am

Aaron Nanto wrote:
coralio1 wrote: I've paid for my EF camera and while I WISH I had the camera 2 weeks ago (already could have used it on 2 shoots) I'll be even more happy once it comes.

i wish luck on your wish!

PetePolyakov

PostThu Sep 13, 2012 4:24 am

boukmanmutt wrote:Ok guys,

but the thing is getting a little bit ridicolous...end of the year...that's a 6 month delay!

this situation looks like bmd don't have enough money to start the mass production of BMC. from this point everything looks reasonable. take the money to produce new cameras, step by step. and etc.

PetePolyakov

PostThu Sep 13, 2012 4:26 am

Margus Voll wrote:that seems to me just out of blue gossip.

we hope. will see.
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography