Shipping dates

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

Re: Shipping dates

PostFri Aug 31, 2012 10:35 pm

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to jump on here and give a heads up. The cameras are shipping now. The initial shipment was rather small, smaller than we would have liked. This will change as our part supply ramps up. Once that happens production will ramp up and we will be able to deliver many more cameras at a time.

However, it is worth noting, we still have a bit of a back order to get through so it may still take some time to get your unit.

Rest assured that once we get ramped up, we will not simply be shipping five BCC's at the a time. Without getting into too much detail, B&H did get only a handful on their first shipment, and the rest went to some of our OTHER dealers in our channel.

So...we totally understand your guys excitement to get your cameras. Just rest assured we are working as hard as possible to get them to you quickly.
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

rick.lang

PostFri Aug 31, 2012 11:28 pm

Congratulations! I thought you would come through if only in limited supply initially. But the horse is out of the barn and now all hands are hoping to corral him!
Rick Lang

Michael Beck

PostFri Aug 31, 2012 11:35 pm

Thanks Joshua!

Is there any way that you could list the dealers that are getting cameras?

Joshua Helling wrote:Hey everyone,

Just wanted to jump on here and give a heads up. The cameras are shipping now. The initial shipment was rather small, smaller than we would have liked. This will change as our part supply ramps up. Once that happens production will ramp up and we will be able to deliver many more cameras at a time.

However, it is worth noting, we still have a bit of a back order to get through so it may still take some time to get your unit.

Rest assured that once we get ramped up, we will not simply be shipping five BCC's at the a time. Without getting into too much detail, B&H did get only a handful on their first shipment, and the rest went to some of our OTHER dealers in our channel.

So...we totally understand your guys excitement to get your cameras. Just rest assured we are working as hard as possible to get them to you quickly.
------------
-Michael Beck

Randy Walters

PostFri Aug 31, 2012 11:44 pm

Great news! Thanks for the information, and congratulations on a happy milestone.

I understand it will take a while to ramp up, but I'll keep my fingers crossed, and hope to hear from my dealer in the days and weeks ahead.

All our best to everyone working so hard at Blackmagic Design.

bhook

PostSat Sep 01, 2012 12:39 am

Congratulations!!!! Now bang 'em out...I can hardly w8 to get my hands on mine. :D

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSat Sep 01, 2012 1:24 am

Hi Joshua: Fantastic news about initial end-user "customer ship"!

Best of luck with the ramp up! (I look forward to my BMCC arriving ASAP.)

Cheers to everyone at BMD!

Brian@202020

PostSat Sep 01, 2012 1:44 am

Thank you. I look forward to hopefully being part of the first wave.

Mark Broadbent

PostSat Sep 01, 2012 3:09 am

This is good news. Hopefully a decent number have been made available to Australian resellers before shipping off to B&H etc.

PetePolyakov

PostSat Sep 01, 2012 6:22 pm

Thanks Joshua, all of us was waiting for some official information instead of rumors.

Jamil Yosufi

PostSun Sep 02, 2012 3:43 pm

A week ago I have placed my Pre-order at CVP , the support guy told me to wait until October. :(
Director , Visual FX & 3D Artist
Be what you are. This is the first step toward becoming better than you are.

Andrew Usher

PostMon Sep 03, 2012 4:33 pm

I spoke with CVP in the uk today, i am number 37 in the preorder list, and they have been allocated 30 units at the moment. Got the impression they had no idea of when they where getting their shipment. So, just a case of sitting out and waiting.

Andrew.

PetePolyakov

PostMon Sep 03, 2012 5:34 pm

B&H said that they didn't receive anything from blackmagic design yet and they don't provide any information about what's my number in the pre-order list. very disappointing.

PetePolyakov

PostMon Sep 03, 2012 5:37 pm

i would love to know about when BMD expect to release pre-orders (april-september).
september, november.. january 2013?

Johannes

PostMon Sep 03, 2012 7:33 pm

I'm number 42 in the CVP pre-order queue. Since they don't know when they'll receive the first 30 shipments, then it seems pretty depressing to think when the second batch of cameras will arrive. Next year?
I've already ordered the bebob starter kit for the bmcc and also the tokina 11-16 lens. The bebob has already been shipped (very good customer service) and the Tokina should be shipped this week.
Guess this equipment will have to collect some dust for a bit...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Blackmagic will get things up and running soon and I won't have to spend my days watching online unboxing videos those lucky ones that have gotten their BMCCs :-)

Johannes

Andrew Usher

PostMon Sep 03, 2012 7:59 pm

Johannes wrote:I'm number 42 in the CVP pre-order queue. Since they don't know when they'll receive the first 30 shipments, then it seems pretty depressing to think when the second batch of cameras will arrive. Next year?
I've already ordered the bebob starter kit for the bmcc and also the tokina 11-16 lens. The bebob has already been shipped (very good customer service) and the Tokina should be shipped this week.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Blackmagic will get things up and running soon and I won't have to spend my days watching online unboxing videos those lucky ones that have gotten their BMCCs :-)

Johannes

I feel your pain, :D , fingers crossed more will come sooner than later. Calumet, told me today that they have no stock allocated yet, so no point swapping preorder. Who knows, maybe things will pick up, or some people in the list ahead of us will vanish :)

George Wharmby

PostMon Sep 03, 2012 9:27 pm

Andrew Usher wrote: feel your pain, :D , fingers crossed more will come sooner than later. Calumet, told me today that they have no stock allocated yet, so no point swapping preorder. Who knows, maybe things will pick up, or some people in the list ahead of us will vanish :)

Ah, did calumet mention how many pre-orders? I've ordered with them and they said they have had word mine should arrive in two weeks.

Andrew Usher

PostMon Sep 03, 2012 9:29 pm

Calumet emailed me today about having no allocation yet, and on Friday had said so far 4 preorders.

George Wharmby

PostMon Sep 03, 2012 9:48 pm

cheers man, I was pre-order n.o 2. I guess mine might not be coming in two weeks lol

Jason Davis

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 1:05 am

Adorama just updated the availability of the BMCC from August 31st to September. Now that Black Magic is " Shipping in limited quantities " it's probably closer than we think.

Scott R McCartney

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 1:33 am

Can't help like feel I'm entering into a third month of uncertainty, am 58 in line at CVP, and information/facts about shipping and availability feel as elusive as ever. Not sure my nerves can take it much longer! :? :?

Jason Davis

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 1:59 am

That's the only thing about knowing about something so far in advance. They announced the thing before they were in production so the anticipation and wait is crazy. One good thing is that they are in fact shipping them, even in super limited quantities.

Eric Santiago

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 2:00 am

Scott R McCartney wrote:Not sure my nerves can take it much longer! :? :?

oh no its SCARLET FEVER ;)
Last edited by Eric Santiago on Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scott R McCartney

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 2:05 am

Jason Davis wrote:That's the only thing about knowing about something so far in advance. They announced the thing before they were in production so the anticipation and wait is crazy. One good thing is that they are in fact shipping them, even in super limited quantities.

"super limited quantities" like one at a time? :o

samuelchristopher

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 3:55 am

Well CVP contacted me yesterday and they said they have the biggest order in Europe and will only be receiving 30 units of the 200 they have ordered, they currently have 148 pre orders. So the bigger question is when will we get the second more mass production unit.
Samuel Christopher
@samchristopher
www.samuelchristopher.co.uk

PetePolyakov

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 7:08 am

Johannes wrote:I'm number 42 in the CVP pre-order queue. Since they don't know when they'll receive the first 30 shipments, then it seems pretty depressing to think when the second batch of cameras will arrive. Next year?

Johannes

oh Johannes, i feel the same pain :-) ordered the viewfactor cage, shoulder rig (by parts), v-mount batteries, charger, mattebox, bought 18mm zeiss, 11-16tokina... sdi-hdmi converter and etc... feel like someone theft something from me....

PetePolyakov

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 7:13 am

samuelchristopher wrote:Well CVP contacted me yesterday and they said they have the biggest order in Europe and will only be receiving 30 units of the 200 they have ordered, they currently have 148 pre orders. So the bigger question is when will we get the second more mass production unit.

it just insane..
if they would say - "guys. we will cover pre-orders that we have right now in october-november-december"
i wouldn't buy all the stuff that i have (basically spent 3000+ on the grip and etc). it's makes me angry. because i'll those promises are broken. and now we just getting the messages aka "we work as hard as we can"... no any clear information... i feel like i hate bmd right now..

simonkn

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 7:46 am

. i feel like i hate bmd right now

Oh My God people..... (I promise at nearly 40 i'll never say that again! - and might not if i get banned for saying this!!)

Some of us are starting to behave like spoiled children at Christmas who can't have the new-wonder-toy!

If you want the crappy thrown out quickly version then go knock on BMD's door and take a pre-prod model. If you want the ironed-out-all-the-warts version then wait... Are we buying this to improve our shooting spectrum or as a bragging-rights devise to wave around the student union???

I'm 140 on the CVP list. It's going to be a Christmas present for me or even an early (May) Birthday present. But i'm doing what another poster put on another thread.... I'm going out an making films/stories/doc with my current equipment and being creative.

I'm all for a new toy, but BMD read these pages and might be tempted to relax on the Customer Service if they start reading things about us "hating" them...

Just a little rant...

Signing off..

SK

Scott R McCartney

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 11:34 am

simonkn wrote:
. i feel like i hate bmd right now

Oh My God people..... (I promise at nearly 40 i'll never say that again! - and might not if i get banned for saying this!!)

Some of us are starting to behave like spoiled children at Christmas who can't have the new-wonder-toy!

If you want the crappy thrown out quickly version then go knock on BMD's door and take a pre-prod model. If you want the ironed-out-all-the-warts version then wait... Are we buying this to improve our shooting spectrum or as a bragging-rights devise to wave around the student union???

I'm 140 on the CVP list. It's going to be a Christmas present for me or even an early (May) Birthday present. But i'm doing what another poster put on another thread.... I'm going out an making films/stories/doc with my current equipment and being creative.

I'm all for a new toy, but BMD read these pages and might be tempted to relax on the Customer Service if they start reading things about us "hating" them...

Just a little rant...

Signing off..

SK

A little bit harsh Simon, I'm sure there are many here for whom the BMC will be their first Pro standard camera, so the option for them to go and shoot on their existing kit may not be so easy. I agree there is no need for hate, but I can understand the frustration.

This camera is priced at a level that will give people student or otherwise their first real chance to enter the world of cinematography, and for many the price represents a serious investment of capital and not an early "Christmas present". The main concern being mooted in this forum is about information, which has been a little slow in coming and a bit vague when it arrives; this will only lead to rumour and speculation filling in the vacuum and worse it may erode the level of trust between the customers and BMD customer service :? .

Bottom line, the camera is shipping which is fantastic news :D , but it would be reassuring if someone from BMD would offer a little more info about the "limited shipping" to put our minds at ease.

SRM

Michael Beck

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 2:10 pm

I just wish that BMD would let us know what dealers are getting cameras and how many. Then we would at least have an Idea of what is up. We just want info!! :)
------------
-Michael Beck

Soeren Mueller

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 2:34 pm

Hey guys! Seems like the frenzy already begun...

Cheers from zee germanz :twisted: .. I just pre-ordered the BMCC from a medium sized german retailer, they have no clue on when they'll receive anything never mind how many... after a quick read through this thread I'm now thinking about placing a pre-order with CVP as well for slightly better chances at receiving a cam before next year. On the other hand.. not sure.. perhaps it's not much of an advantage - what do you guys think?

Normally for paid jobs I rent a RED One / Epic anyways or use my "trusty" 5D for the quick talking head corporate stuff.
My personal opinion: especially if you're used to dealing with RED footage from time to time, even if it's sometimes a bit of a pain because of size/performance (at 4-5k at least) and in between are (mis-)using a DSLR for lower budget stuff... it's just so "heartbreaking" when you have good production value/nice pictures and just this mess of highly compressed moire rolling shutter sludge... of course raw/4k isn't always necessary.. but it can be tear inducing :D

cineman

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 5:56 pm

Can someone please explain to me why it is so hard to let us know what is going on? Not in vague general terms but in specific detail. For example; This place is getting "X" amount of cameras and on this "date".

PaulDelVecchio

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 6:10 pm

cineman wrote:Can someone please explain to me why it is so hard to let us know what is going on? Not in vague general terms but in specific detail. For example; This place is getting "X" amount of cameras and on this "date".

Because when you do it for one person, EVERY SINGLE DEALER will want to know when they're getting theirs. They said RIGHT BEFORE the weekend that it shipped. Give it some time to actually get through transit and we'll know. There's a huge backorder and the demand is great. We're all anxious to get our cameras. There was ONE short delay. They are now shipping. Now it's just a matter of time for them to get through the system and start getting out there. It's not as easy as putting out a huge list of EVERY SINGLE Blackmagic dealer and saying exactly how many units each one is getting. Sony doesn't do that, Panasonic doesn't do that, Apple doesn't do that. No one does that.

The shipping date was said to be in August. They shipped in August. Now the cameras will start to trickle through. It's impossible for them to say how may they'll produce and who's going to get what. There are so many parts to the equation.

Everyone's excited. Everyone's anxious. We really just need to wait. It's not like Blackmagic doesn't want you to have your camera.
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv

Albert N. Romero

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 7:18 pm

Soeren Mueller wrote:Hey guys! Seems like the frenzy already begun...

Cheers from zee germanz :twisted: .. I just pre-ordered the BMCC from a medium sized german retailer, they have no clue on when they'll receive anything never mind how many... after a quick read through this thread I'm now thinking about placing a pre-order with CVP as well for slightly better chances at receiving a cam before next year. On the other hand.. not sure.. perhaps it's not much of an advantage - what do you guys think?

Wich reseller in germany?
I have mine with medienwerkstatt-shop

RichDorato

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 7:26 pm

I don't think you're giving the best examples, if someone like Apple or Sony say one of their big products is launching, they give a day, and it's available immediately when the doors open on that day.

BlackMagic have had products in the past that are like your favorite case for an iPhone. You love the product, but you're not camped out over night for it's release. Now they're in the more demanding "major" product market. Some paid in full five months ago due to their "how to buy" page, have projects they were hoping to start last month, still don't know when it might arrive and may not have another camera to shoot with in the mean time. Unlike an accessory they can't rough it out for now, they're missing the core product.

Excuses are hard to take in a situation like this. If someone orders a pizza and three days later they hear back "sorry, we didn't have a car when we took your order", one can understand why it didn't arrive, but be angry they're left waiting when they're so hungry.

Know what I'm saying?
www.whoatemyteeth.com

PaulDelVecchio

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 7:38 pm

whoatemyteeth wrote:I don't think you're giving the best examples, if someone like Apple or Sony say one of their big products is launching, they give a day, and it's available immediately when the doors open on that day.

BlackMagic have had products in the past that are like your favorite case for an iPhone. You love the product, but you're not camped out over night for it's release. Now they're in the more demanding "major" product market. Some paid in full five months ago due to their "how to buy" page, have projects they were hoping to start last month, still don't know when it might arrive and may not have another camera to shoot with in the mean time. Unlike an accessory they can't rough it out for now, they're missing the core product.

Excuses are hard to take in a situation like this. If someone orders a pizza and three days later they hear back "sorry, we didn't have a car when we took your order", one can understand why it didn't arrive, but be angry they're left waiting when they're so hungry.

Know what I'm saying?

True but Blackmagic didn't take the pre-order, the 3rd parties did. That's almost like BestBuy taking pre-orders for the new iPhone and not being able to deliver b/c Apple didn't allocate units to them. But going back and forth like this isn't really productive. I'm sure we'll all get our cameras soon enough. In the meantime, let's book some jobs and make some money so we can feed our families and buy some cool accessories for our BMCC.
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv

Kfhammond

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 9:13 pm

Joshua Helling wrote:Hey everyone,

Well this is certainly a contradiction:

Jesuan Soriano

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 9:13 pm

We've lived all our lives without the BMCC so I think we can live 2-3 months more without it.

so people don't get mad, you took your pre-order months before they even started shipping, so why are you complaining?? You should have wait until they shipped the camersa so then you can rant about it.

Just my opinion, I also want a BMCC but meanwhile I can deal with my lovely 7D.

BMD should have an on-line store, that would be great
Jesus Soriano

Trevor Roach

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 9:30 pm

Kfhammond wrote:
Well this is certainly a contradiction:

Just wondering, when did you pre-order from safe harbor? I did around a month ago, so I'm not expecting mine anytime soon, but just curious. Thanks!

Kfhammond

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 9:38 pm

I ordered July 24th

Soeren Mueller

PostWed Sep 05, 2012 11:23 am

albertnromero wrote:Wich reseller in germany?
I have mine with medienwerkstatt-shop

And do they have any information yet? I ordered from Marcotec.. they said they are expecting to get them next month...

bhook

PostWed Sep 05, 2012 2:00 pm

I have read that the US distributor has not received any cameras yet...are they shipping? Can you define "small quantities" please? Will they be distributed evenly among the dealers or will some dealers get more cameras? My dealer (on your approved list since just after NAB) told me yesterday that they have not heard anything at all in quite a while. Would BMD please throw the dogs a bone...please.

:D

Albert N. Romero

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 9:42 am

Soeren Mueller wrote:And do they have any information yet? I ordered from Marcotec.. they said they are expecting to get them next month...

As far as i know, they don´t. Last time i spoke to them they said that they were waiting for official news. if i get some news from them i will post here.
I don´t know how the resellers work. Maybe they arrive to work someday and they have this little first shipment waiting. I consider this first little shipment like the tester´s one... but for customers. Lets think positive, europe is important to them xD

Brunosc

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 11:37 am

I preordered from one of Black Magic Design's authorized online resellers in France and contacted them to find out if they knew anything about shipping dates. They answered the next day, on August 30th, saying that according to the last information they had gotten from BM, they would be able to start shipping sometime between Sept 20th and Oct 5th.

Eric Santiago

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 2:30 pm

paul schefz

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 4:39 pm

looks like some b&h orders are arriving in the hands of users....
http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?4 ... ds/page140

Robert Tran

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 5:05 pm

Brunosc wrote:I preordered from one of Black Magic Design's authorized online resellers in France and contacted them to find out if they knew anything about shipping dates. They answered the next day, on August 30th, saying that according to the last information they had gotten from BM, they would be able to start shipping sometime between Sept 20th and Oct 5th.

Where did you pre-order it and when (I pre-ordered my camera at Visual Impact) ?

Peter J. Odio

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 5:58 pm

I contacted ADORAMA today and was told "sometime in September".

I called my client and said. I'll like to confirm the shooting schedule starting "sometime in September"

WTF!

I understand that the camera is late, but I can appreciate been a strait shooter. Yes, we all know it was announced for July, then August and now "sometimes in September". PLEASE!

paul schefz

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 6:13 pm

this is driving everybody nuts....
blackmagic really could have handled this better....the worst is that nobody seems to know.....the dealers don't know? some show unboxing vids? why not ship that first camera out to the first guy who ordered? then someone gets one from b&h although they officially don't seem to know? someone else is waiting for fedex because the BMCC is on the truck? but yet we are still getting official statements about delayed shipping and problems with parts?
i understand that this is a little overwhelming for blackmagic but there really should be some transparency....
if you can't ship in numbers before october, you should know by mid august (at least) and say so....if that turns into mid september, even better....but pushing the date back and back and shipping to users just creates this frenzy....
of course self control would help as well....:)

Theodore Prentice

PostFri Sep 07, 2012 1:09 am

PODIO wrote:I contacted ADORAMA today and was told "sometime in September".

I called my client and said. I'll like to confirm the shooting schedule starting "sometime in September"

WTF!

Im not trying to be rude, but this is one of the most ridiculous things I have read in a while.

PetePolyakov

PostFri Sep 07, 2012 2:08 am

and who said that I'm over reactive?.. and it's just begin I suppose.

On the first place people needed to know when Blackmagic Design WILL RELEASE pre-orders (April-September).
I know that you guys have a plan of the production and before people started to act really crazy I believe better to publish this plan. Because if not, I think all customers will turn life of BMD in hell.

If the company would publish something like
April-June pre-orders North America - late September.
April-June pre-orders Europe - late September.
April-June pre-orders Other countries - start of October.
July-September pre-orders North America - start of October.
July-September pre-orders Europe - start of October.
July-September pre-orders Other countries - Late October.

something like this..

it would have much more sense.

And than longer you are waiting, than more angry your customers than faster you loose their loyalty. I'm not sure if people who work in the PR department graduated from college, but from my own experience of 10 years work in election headquarters in pr and counter-pr fields, the best way in this situation - preventive inform shots. You are open, you are in touch with client, and you don't hide anything.
In the situation where is no options in the same budget (except bolex) you will get more support from your clients, will calm down the storm that going to happen. And I think that you should believe in fact, it's going to happen.

Personally I just wanted to know when exactly I will get my pre-order. I understand difficulties that you have, but it doesn't change the fact that I want to be informed.

Best,
Pete

P.S. I think you are monitoring professional forums and see that people say about this situation.
Next

Return to Cinematography