Video Report: Shooting with the Blackmagic Cinema Camera

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Rick Young

Video Report: Shooting with the Blackmagic Cinema Camera

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 12:59 pm

Hi Everyone

I've been out and about testing the Blackmagic Cinema Camera - and loving it!

Watch the video report:

http://www.moviemachine.tv/video/shooting-with-the-blackmagic-cinema-camera/48431007/

Rick Young tests the camera in many different situations; getting a feel for the camera in terms of operation, usability, working with different lenses, with a good look at the images the camera produces.

Filmed on location in Perth Australia, this is a real-world report to see just what this camera is capable of. Blackmagic Design have described this as a cinema camera - check out the images to see how the camera shapes up in terms of image quality, depth of field, colour rendition and the overall cinematic look.

Cheers.

Rick Young - Producer/Director
Editor - Movie Machine
http://www.moviemachine.tv/

ScottKarlins

Re: Video Report: Shooting with the Blackmagic Cinema Camera

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 2:38 pm

Rick,

Any way we can download the HD movie of your review? The Vimeo feed does not look very good.

Thanks!

Joel Crane

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 4:14 pm

Watching this and suddenly realising I'm recognising everywhere you're shooting! Go Perth! :D

Joel Crane

- Photographer - Filmmaker - Superhero -
www.joelcranephotography.com

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 4:27 pm

Thanks for creating & posting this video, Rick!

For folks not familiar with Vimeo:

Remember to click the "HD" button in the lower right corner of the Vimeo player window to turn on its "HD" (higher quality) playback mode.

Also, I'm not certain, but to my eye this video appears to be currently set for 720p playback resolution via Vimeo's "HD" mode. So even when "HD" is turned on, it's possibly only 720p not 1080p. However, I may be mistaken about this particular video. Perhaps Rick can answer this.

Further, even if a video is available to play in full 1080p "HD" mode on Vimeo, the quality of the video file available from Vimeo is of course limited by the quality & data rate of the file the user uploaded to Vimeo. That might seem obvious and unnecessary to point out, but plenty of folks don't realize that it isn't practical to upload to Vimeo truly high-quality HD such as 1080p ProRes 422 HQ @ 220 megabits/sec., or uncompressed 2.5K RAW @ 5 times that data rate, etc.

A typical Vimeo "HD" video is encoded at only around 5 megabits/sec. That's why I always type Vimeo "HD" with the "HD" in quotes. At its best, it's pretty lo-fi HD. Cheers.

Brian T

PostThu Aug 30, 2012 3:59 pm

It looks like at around 12:13 there's some weird clipping going on in the highlights. I'm not sure if that a render or capture error.

Jesuan Soriano

PostThu Aug 30, 2012 8:10 pm

at 13:25 there's fast movement and Rolling shutter is not that bad.... i had to watch it a few times to really notice it...so i think this camera is getting better and better
and rick

thanks for your review...it's really nice!!!
Jesus Soriano

Fergus

PostThu Aug 30, 2012 9:53 pm

Thanks for this video review Rick, I found it really useful. Looking forward to seeing more when you have time to get to know the camera more.

Return to Cinematography