Playback issue

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

austinflack

Playback issue

PostSun Jan 13, 2013 2:57 am

I just got my camera yesterday (which is fantastic) and spent the day playing with it in San Diego. I shot something yesterday at 29.97 and 180 degree shutter and noticed an odd motion cadence, so today I played with a lot of different frame rates and shutter angles. I'm currently sitting in a coffee shop reviewing my footage on the camera, and I noticed that when the camera is set to a given frame rate, it will only playback footage shot at that frame rate. At first I thought it had deleted some of my footage, but then I found that if I changed the frame rate and restarted the camera, I could then view that frame rate's footage. So, in order to review a days' footage shot in 30, 29.97, 24, and 23.98, I had to reset the camera's frame rate and restart the camera for each one, bringing up just the 23.98 footage, or just the 30 footage, etc. If it matters, all of my shooting today was 2.5k RAW.

Obviously this is not ideal. Is this the intended behavior? Is this a bug?

Also, anyone know why my 29.97 ProRes footage at 180 shutter had a weird, slightly sped up looking motion cadence? I was intercutting with 29.97 C300 footage, on a 29.97 timeline in FCPX.

Thanks!
Austin Flack
www.austinflack.com

rick.lang

Re: Playback issue

PostSun Jan 13, 2013 4:25 am

austinflack wrote:I just got my camera yesterday (which is fantastic) and spent the day playing with it in San Diego. I shot something yesterday at 29.97 and 180 degree shutter and noticed an odd motion cadence, so today I played with a lot of different frame rates and shutter angles. I'm currently sitting in a coffee shop reviewing my footage on the camera, and I noticed that when the camera is set to a given frame rate, it will only playback footage shot at that frame rate. At first I thought it had deleted some of my footage, but then I found that if I changed the frame rate and restarted the camera, I could then view that frame rate's footage. So, in order to review a days' footage shot in 30, 29.97, 24, and 23.98, I had to reset the camera's frame rate and restart the camera for each one, bringing up just the 23.98 footage, or just the 30 footage, etc. If it matters, all of my shooting today was 2.5k RAW.

Obviously this is not ideal. Is this the intended behavior? Is this a bug?

Also, anyone know why my 29.97 ProRes footage at 180 shutter had a weird, slightly sped up looking motion cadence? I was intercutting with 29.97 C300 footage, on a 29.97 timeline in FCPX.

Thanks!

That behaviour in which it only sees what you have set as the recording frame rate has been reported before and I believe it is intended although who knows what the future will bring. In practice when on a shoot, it may be less of a concern as you are likely not to be changing the frame rate from what you have decided the shoot requires.

I can't comment on the "slightly sped up looking motion cadence" when shooting 29.97 ProRes footage with a 180 degree shutter. You might want to post some footage that exhibits that and hopefully someone will display it on a NTSC monitor or HDTV. Did you notice the problem only in FCPX or only when viewing on the NTSC monitor?

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography