Cinema Camera and Nikon Lenses?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

William Allum

Cinema Camera and Nikon Lenses?

PostSun Jan 13, 2013 5:51 am

Hey guys, hoping someone can advise me on this. I'm planning on purchasing the Cinema Camera, but all my glass is Nikon fit and Sigma based. My main lens I plan on using is the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM: http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/lenses/ ... 50mmEX.htm

I know that there are adapters you can get, I been looking at this one specifically:

Novoflex EOS/NIK-NT Lens Adapter for Nikon G Type Lenses to Canon EOS DSLR Cameras

But it does not retain auto focus or aperture control, other than through manual controls.

Are there any adapters that still offer this kind of control through the BMCC? If not then fine, but I would like to make sure I'm getting the best adapter for the job, and the right one of course.

Any advice would be very welcome, thanks.

adamroberts

Re: Cinema Camera and Nikon Lenses?

PostSun Jan 13, 2013 10:21 am

Probably better to post this in the Cinematography section. I'm sure an admin will move it soon.

In answer to your question...

First off the BMCC does not auto focus with any lens. It "might" be possible in the future with EF lenses but its not been stated or implied by Blackmagic.

Onto Nikon lenses. Most of my lenses are Nikon mount. They all work just fine on the BMCC. When using G type lenses I use the Novoflex adaptor and the manual aperture control is perfectly usable. Granted you can't tell exactly what F stop you are on but if that is really that important to you then the G type lenses are really not what you wanna be using.

There is currently no adaptor available that converts the electronics on the EF mount to work with the electronics on a Nikon mount. Not that it would be of much use as the G type lenses have a mechanical aperture that is controlled by a lever in the Nikon body. Not electronically like the EF lenses. This is how the Novoflex adapter (and others) is able to work.

William Allum

PostSun Jan 13, 2013 7:19 pm

Thanks Adam, this is exactly what I wanted to know. Is the Novoflex adapter that I mentioned before the one you are using? I do have another Nikon fit Sigma lens that has manual aperture control built in, however my 17-50mm is my current favorite, just because of the range...but then this will be different on the BMCC anyway, so we shall see. Thanks again.

adamroberts

PostSun Jan 13, 2013 8:26 pm

Yeah I have the same adaptor. Has a blue tab on the side to adjust the aperture. Expensive but well build.

Christine Peterson

PostThu Jan 24, 2013 7:43 pm

Moved to Cinematography...
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)

Frank Glencairn

PostThu Jan 24, 2013 11:14 pm

So a friend gave me this 80-400 Sigma EX zoom.

Unfortunately it is Nikon mount.
Usually that is no problem, since most of my glass is Nikon mount - you loose autofocus and IS on electro lenses (G/D-mount) - but otherwise it works just fine on the BMC with a simple mechanical adapter.
But this one seems to need some juice for focusing. I have no idea, maybe something is broke, but I cant focus manual. It's kinda stuck at 3 meters. The ring turns though.

I don't have much experience with electro glass - any thoughts?

Thanks, Frank
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

Christian Schmeer

PostFri Jan 25, 2013 12:05 am

I have a similar issue with my Nikon mount Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8. I bought the Nikon version, since the Canon version doesn't focus to infinity on the BMCC. Then I received my £40 Kiwifotos Nikon G to EF mount adapter and I saw something I didn't expect: the image isn't just "soft" at infinity (using any focal length), but completely out of focus! What is supposed to be "infinity" is in reality about 15 meters :/

I really need to make the lens work properly by the end of next week, so if I have to pay for a Novoflex adapter, I will - the issue is: I can't find any trustable UK seller for it that could deliver within a couple of days? Also, I don't even know if it's the adapter, the lens or the camera that's at fault...
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

Frank Glencairn

PostFri Jan 25, 2013 12:12 am

Looks more like I have a focus by wire lense here, that needs power provided by the camera to drive the focus motor - even in manual focus mode.

Since there is no active Nikon the EF mount (at least as far as I know), I'm outa luck.

Felix Steinhardt

PostFri Jan 25, 2013 12:28 am

Boy I hope this is a Tokina exclusive problem. Now even with Nikon Mount...

When my Nikon 10-24 doesn´t work I´ll freak out! :?

Christian Schmeer

PostFri Jan 25, 2013 12:44 am

Felix Steinhardt wrote:Boy I hope this is a Tokina exclusive problem. Now even with Nikon Mount...

When my Nikon 10-24 doesn´t work I´ll freak out! :?

Even my Canon 40mm F/2.8 Pancake lens doesn't achieve focus at infinity (only goes about 700 meters). The only lenses of mine that fully work with the BMCC so far are the Canon 24-105mm F/4.0 L IS Lens and an old Carl Zeiss 180mm F/2.8 M42 screw mount lens... :/
www.christianschmeer.com

adamroberts

PostFri Jan 25, 2013 1:12 am

Christian where in London are you based? Maybe we can hook up and do some tests?? You can try my adaptors to see if the problem can be resolved...

Christian Schmeer

PostFri Jan 25, 2013 8:19 pm

adamroberts wrote:Christian where in London are you based? Maybe we can hook up and do some tests?? You can try my adaptors to see if the problem can be resolved...

That would be great. PM sent! :)
www.christianschmeer.com

Keith Stark

PostSun Jan 27, 2013 8:05 am

Frank Glencairn wrote:So a friend gave me this 80-400 Sigma EX zoom.

Unfortunately it is Nikon mount.
Usually that is no problem, since most of my glass is Nikon mount - you loose autofocus and IS on electro lenses (G/D-mount) - but otherwise it works just fine on the BMC with a simple mechanical adapter.
But this one seems to need some juice for focusing. I have no idea, maybe something is broke, but I cant focus manual. It's kinda stuck at 3 meters. The ring turns though.

I don't have much experience with electro glass - any thoughts?

Thanks, Frank

Frank,
Might be a long shot, but if you can find someone that has some electronics skill, and is really really really careful, this might be useful.

http://www.foolography.com/free-stuff/modify-tc-16a/
>>>
http://photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00956N

Ignore what he's doing in the modification, I'm just referencing the schematic.
it looks like the outer two pins are power, the one by itself, DGND, is ground and VDD is +V. Probably 5 to 7.5V (DC). I can't imagine it would be more than 7.5V or so because that's what the typical battery is supplying to the whole camera. In theory you should just need to power it, the chip and the rest of the pins are involved with serial communication for the auto functions.

If there's some way to run the wires outside the lens (drilling holes..yikes...) and creating a power connection, you might get lucky. You should at least be able to test it by powering up those pins to see if will even work.

all the best,
Keith

glosbus

PostWed Jan 30, 2013 6:34 pm

I tried looking for the best post to ask but I couldn´t find anything more accurate so here I go..

I am a Nikon user with a couple of Nikon lenses:
-50mm f/1.4
-17.35mm f/2.8

I want to use them with the BMCC (which I don´t have yet) so I was thinking of pre-ordering the MFT model. However, I found out you can attach a mount adapter for nikon AF lenses to Canon EF mount, so it means I could use my Nikon lenses with the EF camera model.

I thought I could only use my Nikon lenses with an adapter mount for MFT..

Having said that...the question is...what´s the difference between EF and MFT models if you can really use AF Nikon Lenses with the EF model??

I believe this is a stupid question but I have so many related to BMCC that I need to make sure before purchasing it.

Thanks in advance!!

adamroberts

PostWed Jan 30, 2013 7:18 pm

The EF mount supports EF lenses and many other lenses via an adaptor. With EF lenses you get support for aperture and IS. No auto focus. With other lenses you will need full manual control.

With the MFT mount you can use MFT manual lenses and many other lenses via and adaptor. The MFT mount is a "dumb" mount so can't control any electronic lenses. So you can't use EF lenses unless you get an expensive externally powered EF mount adaptor.

The MTF mount camera opens up the lens choice beyond with is available on the EF mount to include many PL mount lenses and other lenses that need a shorter flange distance.

Comes down to what lens collection you have access to and what you want to use on the camera. EF mount is great if you have lots of EF glass. MTF mount is great if want to use MTF lenses or PL lenses.

To use the Nikon lenses on the EF mount you will need an adaptor. Same with the MTF mount. You won't get any electronic control No auto focus or VR support. For G type lenses (ones without aperture rings) you'll need an adaptor that can control the aperture mechanically.

Frank Glencairn

PostWed Jan 30, 2013 7:56 pm

Keith Stark wrote:[

If there's some way to run the wires outside the lens (drilling holes..yikes...) and creating a power connection, you might get lucky. You should at least be able to test it by powering up those pins to see if will even work.

all the best,
Keith

Sounds doable (though I suck at welding) I give it a try.

Thanks for sharing,

Frank

Bali213

PostSat Feb 09, 2013 6:07 am

Cameras that CAN'T accept Nikon lenses without serious modifications to either the camera or the lens are all the Arriflex cameras. Whether they are Arri standard, Arri Bayo or PL mount, the flange depth on all these mounts are too deep for the Nikons. If you willing to completely replace the front turret of the camera, then there's a nice Nikon hard front made for the Arri 2c.

Steve Lee Jean

PostSat Feb 09, 2013 9:52 am

Some of the Nikon Primes are amazing cinema lenses, or the Zeiss ZF mounts. Some companies like Duclos do the "cine-mod" to these lenses allowing for mounting onto an EF mount. I think they use leitax converters. I know they do this for the ZEISS ZF lenses, not sure about Nikon primes. You could also look into Leica R Series lenses adapted to EF mounts.

These are all manual focus/manual aperture solutions thought. I prefer manual aperture control, so others may feel differently.....
Director/Writer
Busan, South Korea + Los Angeles, CA

Return to Cinematography