Two Guys One BMCC

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Tom Sijmons

Two Guys One BMCC

PostFri Oct 23, 2015 12:34 pm

While everyone is still waiting for their new Mini, i can still recommended picking up a BMC camera 2.5 k for those that haven't done so yet. For us it is still a wonderful A-Cam on our budget productions.

We first wrote a song (sorry guys its in Dutch) and then shot the videoclip (B&W grading in Davinci) ourselves as well. Like the title says, just two guys (with a little help from our producer) and a BMCC with a couple of lenses. We only used one Led panel and some dedo's for lighting. We also used a Ronin.

We asked the girl singer to stick her head in a fish tank :roll: , we where holding the ronin while sitting in a wheelchair and ran through a tunnel, we glued together our own little bathroom and had the opportunity to film in an abandoned convent. Tons of fun and lots to learn. :D If you want to see the behind the scene pictures, they are on our website, just click through on Vimeo.

Also i have been reading some questions on this forum on how to power the BMCC when attached to the Ronin. In our case: we don't. You can run around for nearly and hour with it, which is long if you have to carry all that weight. In between runs we have a V-mount battery ready on a cheese plate to recharge in between shots, so we can keep the power up to at least 50%. Its great to have that internal battery! It means less cables and less weight.

Here's the link, hope you like it:

AlecWild

Re: Two Guys One BMCC

PostFri Oct 23, 2015 3:22 pm

Beautiful Tom! Great work. The black and white is great, and I love the shift to rich color as well. Do you mind sharing what lenses you used?

Clever wheelchair/Ronin work too! Where did you get the owl??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
iMac Retina 2019, Radeon RX 580 GB, 32 GB RAM
Resolve Studio 16.2.7 & 17.0 Beta

Bill Underhill

PostFri Oct 23, 2015 3:33 pm

Really liked your B&W grade. Color grade was a little uneven but still not bad.

After reading your production notes on all the improvising you did on set I felt like I'd made a visit to http://shittyrigs.com :)

Scott Stacy

PostFri Oct 23, 2015 4:34 pm

Really nice. Very good use of all your resources! Wheel chairs are a great tool. Looks like you had fun.
Scott Stacy, CSI
Colorist

Windows 10
HP Z8
Geforce RTX 3090
Intel Xeon Gold 18 Core
128 RAM
NVME M.2 Samsung 970 2TB (x4)
Resolve 18.6
BMD Pocket 6k Pro

Shane McGee

PostFri Oct 23, 2015 7:57 pm

Very well done!

Shane McGee

PostFri Oct 23, 2015 8:07 pm

Tom Sijmons wrote:While everyone is still waiting for their new Mini, i can still recommended picking up a BMC camera 2.5 k for those that haven't done so yet. For us it is still a wonderful A-Cam on our budget productions.

We first wrote a song (sorry guys its in Dutch) and then shot the videoclip (B&W grading in Davinci) ourselves as well. Like the title says, just two guys (with a little help from our producer) and a BMCC with a couple of lenses. We only used one Led panel and some dedo's for lighting. We also used a Ronin.

We asked the girl singer to stick her head in a fish tank :roll: , we where holding the ronin while sitting in a wheelchair and ran through a tunnel, we glued together our own little bathroom and had the opportunity to film in an abandoned convent. Tons of fun and lots to learn. :D If you want to see the behind the scene pictures, they are on our website, just click through on Vimeo.

Also i have been reading some questions on this forum on how to power the BMCC when attached to the Ronin. In our case: we don't. You can run around for nearly and hour with it, which is long if you have to carry all that weight. In between runs we have a V-mount battery ready on a cheese plate to recharge in between shots, so we can keep the power up to at least 50%. Its great to have that internal battery! It means less cables and less weight.

Here's the link, hope you like it:

Could you explain how exactly you rigged the BMCC to the Super Clamp and the cross bar and all that? Was it kinda jimmy-rigged or was it rock solid?

Shown Here: http://www.visualnoise.nl/wp-content/up ... 24x576.jpg

Denny Smith

PostFri Oct 23, 2015 9:03 pm

Me too, very nicely done. Mi have used a wheel chair for a camera dolly too, handholding the camera (ENGrype) in my lap, or on my shoulder. Worked great chasing running children from behind. I like the opening scene with the ice-water. Is this a common face wash technique for women in EU? Anyway, first rate job.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Adam Langdon

PostFri Oct 23, 2015 9:47 pm

amazing job!
looks very professional.
URSA Mini 4.6k & Pocket 6k Pro - SLR Magic APO Microprimes - Blazar Remus Anamorphics - Aputure Lighting

Tom Sijmons

PostSat Oct 24, 2015 2:30 pm

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the compliments! I sure can answer a few questions.

@ AlecWild: We used the Sigma 18-35 ART Zoom, a 16 mm t2.2 and the 35 mm t1.5 Samyang on the Ronin and also a 85 and 135 Samyang. There's probably one or two shots with a 50 mm Sigma ART series.
All Nikon fit with a Metabones Nikon to MFT speedbooster.
The owl is a barn-owl. On another shoot we did for a client we shot some owls against a green screen. The client did not use the material of the Barn-Owl so we took the opportunity to add it in post in this video. The Dutch name for this owl would be 'Church Owl' which inspired us to put this wonderful creature in the chapel.

@ShaneMcGee: The top shot was rigged with a Manfroto camera Bracket so the camera can then be attached to a clamp or a magic arm. Make sure to secure the lot with a steel cable when you hang it above someone :o

About the music: The title of the song is;"met gesloten ogen", which means "with my eyes closed". Sarah sings that, even when somebody is gone, she still can be with that person in her mind, by closing her eyes.
Nice to see that some of you like it even when you have no idea what the song is about. I hope it makes more sense now when watching the vid.

Thanks for watching. Cheers.
Tom Sijmons

Denny Smith

PostSat Oct 24, 2015 3:55 pm

Yes, the song was very nice, and Sarah has a lovely voice too. You do not need to understand a song to enjoy the music part. Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

AlecWild

PostSat Oct 24, 2015 4:00 pm

Thanks Tom, for the thorough answers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
iMac Retina 2019, Radeon RX 580 GB, 32 GB RAM
Resolve Studio 16.2.7 & 17.0 Beta

Tom Sijmons

PostTue Oct 27, 2015 8:03 pm

@Bill Underhill - Thanks for the tip of mentioning the Shittyrigs website. I just submitted our ******* wheelchair rig to that site. :lol: Great site, The crazy **** people build. I love it!

Bill Underhill

PostTue Oct 27, 2015 8:24 pm

Tom Sijmons wrote:@Bill Underhill - Thanks for the tip of mentioning the Shittyrigs website. I just submitted our ******* wheelchair rig to that site. :lol: Great site, The crazy **** people build. I love it!

You're welcome. One can waste hours sifting through that site (I do...). Looking forward to seeing your rig listed there soon.

Benton Collins

PostWed Oct 28, 2015 3:29 pm

Very nice! The original 2.5k is the most filmic and cinematic of all the Blackmagic cameras to date. But I hope the new 4.6k will surpass the original and inherit that crown!

Jason R. Johnston

PostWed Oct 28, 2015 9:14 pm

Very nice. I like the black and white. The song is cool, too.
JASONRJOHNSTON.COM | CINEMATOGRAPHER | DIRECTOR | EDITOR | COLORIST
RED Komodo | DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5 | 2023 MacBook M2 Pro 14

Return to Cinematography