The BMCC "Getting Started/Hobby Man" list

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Chris Chiasson

The BMCC "Getting Started/Hobby Man" list

PostSun Jan 13, 2013 5:38 pm

As the title suggest, I'm more of just looking for a good list of things to get for the "Hobby Man" Blackmagic Camera Buyer. I'm not a professional. I'm not a wedding shooter, or a commercial/music video director, nor a documentary shooter. I'm a guy who just makes short films as a hobby, who likes to have some form of quality to what I do. Examples of my work would be these two, shot on a Canon T3I, with a kit lens, and a 85mm lens:

So knowing this, I'm hoping to get some help on a good starter list for a guy like me. I already have some lens, mics, and recorders, so that stuff is covered. And Sareesh's Guide has answered some of my questions. But there's still a few things I'm trying to figure out as to what I actually need. And by need, I mean "I need to get this, no buts about it". And not buy stuff that makes somewhat of a difference, but I honestly don't need it. Or at least not right now. Because something like a camera rig for a battery is already going to be in the $1000 range (and that's without the battery price), so I kind of want to make sure I'm getting a good starter kit, and one I can continue to use, without getting rid of it in 2 years or less.

So far, I've only got this list (Canadian prices, since I'm from Canada).

Camera itself: $3,592.27
2 SSD Card (256GB) : $564.98 (because I've been using SD cards, and don't own any SSD cards).
1.8" Stereo Female to 1/4" Stereo adapter: $3.60
Pro-X BMCC V-Mount Power Kit: $666.64 or $299.99. Depending on which I get, or if I get 2 batteries.

So I'm already roughly $4500 for the camera more or less, and I haven't even added a rig for the battery (well, unless I want to pocket my battery. But I can see a lot of accidents happening. Like me walking away, and smashing the camera by pulling it with me). Nor do I own a camera cage.

So what should I add to my list? Especially when it comes to dealing with the battery? Should I bother with getting a cage or a rig? And if so, what types should I consider?

Christine Peterson

Re: The BMCC "Getting Started/Hobby Man" list

PostMon Jan 14, 2013 3:40 pm

Moved to Cinematography...
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)

Pavel Lavrov

PostMon Jan 14, 2013 8:39 pm

No point to open new thread for this. Should of searched before writing.

Here's short link: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2579&hilit=intended+set+up
Pavel L

Cameron Mckinlay

PostTue Jan 15, 2013 1:07 pm

Well to answer you question. I think your pretty much set. Thats how I will be running my rig as I live out of a suitcase so I don't have space for rigs etc. Run through the basics of what you need to capture through to edit.
Camera - check
SSD's - check
battery solution - check
mic - check
compatible lens - check
Seagate Goflex & thunderbolt cable - definitely need this or similar alternative
powerful enough workstation to edit footage - check

That is the most basic of setups anyone could run with this camera in my mind. Yes maybe a tripod but again its all about what YOU shoot and YOUR shooting style. Not every film has been shot on a set of sticks.
When did you order your camera?
Good Luck
Cameron Mckinlay

Return to Cinematography