URSA Mini and Studio Converter interface (ATEM)

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Bob Zelin

PostMon Oct 26, 2015 4:56 pm

Hi -
The Blackmagic Studio Cameras work wonderfully with the Blackmagic Studio Converters. They offer
Intercom, Tally, Return Video, Lens control (on very limited lenses) and ATEM DaVinci Resolve color correction.

Now that Blackmagic is going to offer the URSA Mini as a REAL studio camera (because of the B4 lens adaptor), will you still be able to use the Blackmagic Studio Converters with this product, to get tally, intercom, lens control, and ATEM DaVinci Resolve ?????

I think this is an important question. The ONLY problem the Studio Cameras ever had were the poor lens selection. Now that B4 lenses will work with the URSA Mini - I sure hope that these other features will be available, without having to do things like buying a ClearCom or RTS intercom system, and completely external Tally system.

Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
bobzelin@icloud.com
www.bobzelin.com

Denny Smith

Re: URSA Mini and Studio Converter interface (ATEM)

PostMon Oct 26, 2015 5:28 pm

According to BM Rep interviews I have seen, the answer is yes, there is a Apple Style TRRS 1/8" mic/headset mini plug for comms/talkback, and a return SDI to provide comms/camera control. Only feature missing is PTT on camera.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostMon Oct 26, 2015 5:34 pm

Does the Mini PL have a tally light?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostMon Oct 26, 2015 5:56 pm

Yes Rick, on the back of the flip out screen, from what I understand. Also the screen is supposed to get red frame talley around the image, when camera is live, so camera person knows the camera is "live"
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostMon Oct 26, 2015 6:21 pm

That's neat!

Rick Lang

martin.dwight

PostMon Oct 26, 2015 9:35 pm

Denny,

Do you know which converter/interface would be preferable in the camera end of the chain if one was to receive signal and send talkback/camera control and reference over fiber?

What I mean is a way to avoid having to send 3 bnc cables a longer distance.

Thanks!

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Denny Smith

PostTue Oct 27, 2015 4:49 am

BM makes a Fiber to SDI converter for the studio cameras, I,would assume you would use this one. But, that said, I,do not have personal experience with either the ATEM or its converters. I used Grass Valley switchers, and TriCasters, which handle this differently. I am dating myself here, me thinks.

Martin, As to what exact converter to use, I think this would be a better question on the "Live Production" section, tha here.

However, I have read up on the ATEM and how it interfaces with the Studio cameras, and think BM's approach is quite unique and very interesting in combining a Camera Contro Unit and the switcher in one unit. If I were setting up a small cable TV station today, this.is th direction/equipment I would be looking into to use. But Anya system, be it a $10k or $100k solution, can have its issues and problems when implementing it. You just have to work out the issues as you go.
Cheers.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Bob Zelin

PostWed Oct 28, 2015 6:08 pm

Denny,
with all due respect, you clearly state that you have not used this product - only GVG and Tricksters.
It appears that you are not familiar with the Blackmagic Studio Converter, and how it ties perfectly into the Blackmagic Studio Converter, to provide intercom, tally, lens control, color correction, return video, and de embedding of the video and audio, when used with a Blackmagic Studio Camera. All of these features work right now with the Blackmagic Studio Camera. But the lens selection is terrible.

Again, my question is DOES THE BLACKMAGIC STUDIO CONVERTER work in the SAME WAY with the URSA Mini as it does with the Blackmagic Studio Camera. Because if it does not, then we have gained the correct lens, and lost all of these other critical features, which allows for a very cost effective studio camera.

I sure hope someone at Blackmagic responds.

Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
bobzelin@icloud.com
www.bobzelin.com

rick.lang

PostWed Oct 28, 2015 6:15 pm

Bob, whenever I've heard about the new features for Studio camera functionality, on the BM URSA Mini camera, the details have been sketchy. I believe the lens control, program return, tally, and talk back features are there now, but no idea about the Resolve 'look' capability from their ATEM.

The Product Manager for the cameras, Kristian Lam, does occasionally post here, but he might be busy with something else these days and not reading the forum. You could try to send him a private message and we'd all appreciate hearing the answer.

Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostWed Oct 28, 2015 7:10 pm

Bob, I am familiar with the Studio converter, and according to Gary Adams (BM Tech) on the Live Production thread, "Ursa Mini Live", he posted this:
"Hello Matthew. I must apologize for any confusion with the CCU control capabilities and our cameras. Actually, Eric is correct that the URSA camera model does not support ATEM CCU functionality. At IBC, a few weeks ago, we were all introduced to the new functionality of the "URSA Mini" camera. Because of earlier delays, they were able to incorporate the B4 lens interface to the URSA Mini PL mount model. Because of this, they were able to design ATEM CCU control functionality with both of the URSA Mini models. Both the URSA Mini EF and PL may be controlled by the ATEM if you feed Program video back to the camera which is very similar to the way we control the Television Studio Camera and the new Micro Studio Camera. Tally and talkback are also supported.

The URSA and URSA Mini are different camera models and have different capabilities. Again, I realize this may be confusing so please PM me if you have any further questions.

Tom, your question is a good one and I do not know the answer yet. I will try to get back to you thon this.

Best Regards, Gary"

He also stated in another post, the Stidio converter gives you the control tally and talkback features it gives with the Studio cameras. The Ursa Mini has a Apple TRRS 1/8" plug for a headset, but no PTT is available on the Mini PL versions. Hope this helps.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Philipp Peyer

PostFri Mar 25, 2016 10:17 am

Is this CCU-Support still planed to be build in via FW-Update?

Return to Cinematography