External Battery

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Gabriele Turchi

External Battery

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 2:41 pm

is there any way to use external battery (Vlock) maybe using some cable adaptor that allow to connect to Vlock batteries ?

also , aside for woodencamera , what company make accessories for teh BMD camera ?

thanks a lot
g

Joel Crane

Re: External Battery

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 3:54 pm

Plenty of companies have started to make accessories and the like, such as View Factor and Bepop:
http://www.viewfactor.net/
http://www.bebob.de/

Both of those companies sell plates for the V-Lock batteries with integrated cables to plug it into the BMC.

Joel Crane

- Photographer - Filmmaker - Superhero -
www.joelcranephotography.com

Zack Wilson

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 4:02 pm

Yes, a couple manufacturers have a few options, including Switronix.

Patrick Finnegan

PostFri Aug 31, 2012 6:14 am

I plan on using Ikan BP2T-SU battery plate that accepts Sony BP-U60 batteries which are rated for 14.4volts @ 3.9 amps, the same I use on my Sony F3; plenty to run the BMCC and quite compact for run and gun. This as back up power when the internal battery gets low.

When I move to studio mode, I will use V lock battery plates on my rails that I have configured with both 12 volt and 7.4 volt outputs. here is an example of the plate I will use for hand held. You can get them for under $30.

Ikan BP2T-SU.jpg
Ikan BP2T-SU.jpg (5.51 KiB) Viewed 7335 times
Finnegan's Wake Films
Director/ Cameraman

Gabriele Turchi

PostFri Aug 31, 2012 11:29 am

that is a quite nice option patrick

can you please let us know if it will work with no issue ?

ps: if that work , why would you move to V-Lock ? they last more ? (but are bigger and quite more expansive ...)

thanks

g

Patrick Finnegan

PostFri Aug 31, 2012 4:06 pm

Hi Gabriele
One of the techs from Black Magic confirmed that this has the right type of barrel connector for the camera power input and the batteries from my Sony F3 (BP-U60) are correct voltage so yes this will absolutely work.

The reason I will switch to Vlock batteries on rails when in studio mode and I don't care about weight is that I have customized my V Lock plates with four different power interfaces and three different voltages to run my various peripherals. I have several 12volt out, plus one 7.4 volt for running a Zacuto evf or 5d, plus a 5 volt out to power an HDMI transmitter when need to broadcast the image over a distance.

Additionally the V lock batteries have greater capacity so will last much longer than the Sony batteries (remember they are not only powering the camera but also recharging the on board battery)
Finnegan's Wake Films
Director/ Cameraman

Gabriele Turchi

PostFri Aug 31, 2012 4:26 pm

thanks a lot for the info
after you tried please let us how long the Sony batteries last on the BMC camera

thanks a lot

g

Patrick Finnegan

PostFri Aug 31, 2012 9:45 pm

will do...once I actually have my camera
on the Black Magic feature wish list I have asked that the engineers give us the option to turn off the recharge function if we wish when plugging in an external power source. I can imagine many scenarios where I would keep the onboard battery as a back up and just use external batteries for the majority of the shoot. It will be much easier to calculate my power needs if my external battery is not also recharging the internal battery...that introduces a lot of mostly unnecessary variables. I would much rather be able to chose when I am recharging the internal battery and when I am conserving power in every way possible
Finnegan's Wake Films
Director/ Cameraman

Return to Cinematography