Camera Shipping Update: 1/14

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Eric Santiago

Re: Camera Shipping Update: 1/14

PostWed Jan 23, 2013 12:50 am

Guys if you can wait then wait.
These are all tools.
I couldn't wait due to personal and financial reasons so I cancelled the two I ordered (June and Sept).
Picked up another tool, a Scarlet.
So far its been great and no I didnt get the beta bug like your hearing about.
Last time I checked, who uses a beta software during critical work?
All tools are going to come with problems but lets shoot for the positives.
I believe in BMD as far as tech support from all the years we've had Resolve, VideoHUB and their converters.
If you can wait, wait.
There is no need to start throwing monkey poop at others expense.
Its not like they turned around and bought a Casio camera :P

Dave Dominguez

PostWed Jan 23, 2013 1:46 am

so tired if people saying that its "it's just a tool". Yeah man, we know.
https://vimeo.com/daviddominguez

Eric Santiago

PostWed Jan 23, 2013 2:01 am

Dave Dominguez wrote:so tired if people saying that its "it's just a tool". Yeah man, we know.

Well I didnt say it as a negative.

But to each his/her own I guess.

David Fielding

PostWed Jan 23, 2013 3:43 am

I am anxious to see the low-light footage of the hamsters running so hard on those little wheels powering the assembly line in the dimly lit warehouse. I feel for the little hamsters that I'm sure are underpaid and think all you angry humans should relax or you can run on the little wheel for awhile.

A wise old hamster once told me 'Human... if you got somethin' to say... just shut up'.

Maybe if enough of you whiners cancel your pre-orders, I might get my BMCC earlier.
David Fielding
Everything I touch is broken

Dragoljub Ćurčić

PostWed Jan 23, 2013 4:34 am

Macfawlty wrote:I am anxious to see the low-light footage of the hamsters running so hard on those little wheels powering the assembly line in the dimly lit warehouse. I feel for the little hamsters that I'm sure are underpaid and think all you angry humans should relax or you can run on the little wheel for awhile.

A wise old hamster once told me 'Human... if you got somethin' to say... just shut up'.

Maybe if enough of you whiners cancel your pre-orders, I might get my BMCC earlier.

Cool! :lol:

Carlos Delilah

PostWed Jan 23, 2013 4:55 am

nothing wrong with people complaining, they're just adding pressure to speed things up.
I for one think it would be a great idea to build the ef and mft's at the same time, sorry if youre annoyed by that.
If you feel better being silent, so be it.

There will always be people who criticise people who protest too... oh well

MattStone

PostWed Jan 23, 2013 5:11 am

My two just arrived - Ordered in June last year from Digistor in Sydney. Absolutely no idea where my order was in the list.

First impressions after unboxing: a quality product.

Off to do some test shots.

Note to blackmagic: nice product, horrible communication. This customer feels the delayed process was badly handled. I invested in your vision and I guess felt was owed a little more. Despite the product quality, can't say I'll rush to pre-order another Blackmagic product.

Coralio Ballester

PostWed Jan 23, 2013 11:20 am

There are only two cameras in Spain, two.

fredsavoir

PostWed Jan 23, 2013 1:40 pm

Hi guys,

Two BMDC arrived in France today :)

Keep up the faith.

Cheers,

Fred
Attachments
BMDC_InFrance.JPG
One of the first BMDC in France.
BMDC_InFrance.JPG (654.71 KiB) Viewed 12493 times

kassim

PostWed Jan 23, 2013 5:26 pm

Hey guys, I just wanted to post that I just received an email from my reseller (Hotrod Cameras) that they have received their first shipment of cameras :D ...not sure exactly how many but I pre ordered June 15th 2012 and Im #7 in line so hopefully I'll get mine next shipment. Fingers crossed.
Kassim Norris

JON s

PostWed Jan 23, 2013 5:34 pm

I'm glad to here from all of the customers that have received their cameras. I just wish that BMD would post some updates with real info. How about narrowing this down to what month they think that they will be caught up. Come on, a ball park figure would be great.

kassim

PostWed Jan 23, 2013 11:00 pm

JON s wrote:I'm glad to here from all of the customers that have received their cameras. I just wish that BMD would post some updates with real info. How about narrowing this down to what month they think that they will be caught up. Come on, a ball park figure would be great.

I totally agree
Kassim Norris

c.carlos.n

PostWed Jan 23, 2013 11:22 pm

Come on guys you can calculate this yourself if u keep track of who gets theres and when they ordered....
Carlos E Núñez

TuTodd

PostThu Jan 24, 2013 12:06 am

c.carlos.n wrote:Come on guys you can calculate this yourself if u keep track of who gets theres and when they ordered....

Not so fast! If your logic stands correct, I'll receive my BMCC in the next two weeks.

...I'll let you know as soon as I know. But without knowing BMD's true MO with shipping and manufacturing you can't calculate anything accurately.

At the end of the day BMD has left us to assume (@ this point, the worst) and to depend on HOPE AND PRAYER!!!

The one logic that you can count on is, BMD doesn't give detailed shipping or manufacturing details because the TRUTH won't live up to our (pre-ordering customers) expectations and they can't risk more of us jumping ship!

...^^^^that sounds plausible, to me. Anyhow godspeed to everyone that has spent their hard earned cash on this.

Andy Smith

PostThu Jan 24, 2013 12:36 am

c.carlos.n wrote:Come on guys you can calculate this yourself if u keep track of who gets theres and when they ordered....

You can if you've ordered at B&H. For everyone else it's a lottery. You'll probably receive your camera before me even though i ordered on April 17th

taapo

PostThu Jan 24, 2013 7:36 am

BMD should take a leaf out of Pebble's Smart Watch communication book ;)

http://www.ispebbleshipping.com/

Andreas Kaufmann

PostThu Jan 24, 2013 9:25 am

fredsavoir wrote:Hi guys,

Keep up the faith.

Cheers,

Fred

Congratulations! Where and when did you place your order?
www.andreas-kaufmann.net

Darryl Gregory

PostThu Jan 24, 2013 9:51 am

Removed my post
Last edited by Darryl Gregory on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Austin Spinks

PostThu Jan 24, 2013 12:33 pm

Got mine today!

I placed my order mid August in the UK, pretty surprised it's here in January, but there you go!
Attachments
black magic camera.jpg
black magic camera.jpg (957.26 KiB) Viewed 12345 times
Austin Spinks

Luke Armstrong

PostThu Jan 24, 2013 12:47 pm

Congrats. Who did you order from Austin?
Luke Armstrong - Digital Compositor
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4274789/

Jean-Philippe Mariani

PostThu Jan 24, 2013 12:56 pm

Yes, they're really shipping, received 4 units in 2 weeks. Keep the flow coming in ;-)

fredsavoir

PostThu Jan 24, 2013 1:17 pm

First day at NAB April 2012. :)

But base on the serial number they already shipped over 7000 units.

Not bad isn't it ?

Cheers,

Fred

AndiDieMaus wrote:
fredsavoir wrote:Hi guys,

Keep up the faith.

Cheers,

Fred

Congratulations! Where and when did you place your order?

Austin Spinks

PostThu Jan 24, 2013 1:23 pm

I placed my order with 3D Broadcast Ltd, down in Pinewood Studios.
Austin Spinks

Grégory Weisert

PostThu Jan 24, 2013 1:58 pm

congrats :)

Eric Santiago

PostThu Jan 24, 2013 2:30 pm

Austin Spinks wrote:I placed my order with 3D Broadcast Ltd, down in Pinewood Studios.

Wow your the first outside of eBay/purchase that received from that late into the game :)

JON s

PostThu Jan 24, 2013 4:33 pm

Please Grant, give us an update with a little more specifics. That's all I am asking. I am willing to wait, but I need to make plans and I can't do that without any sort of estimate from you. If I am going to have to wait 3 months, fine, just let me know. You are only harming the companies reputation by holding back on the information. I have heard quite a few stories of people receiving their cameras, so I believe that production is starting to flow. Please Grant, I beg of you, just give me a ballpark estimate.

nikotaro

PostThu Jan 24, 2013 6:12 pm

kineraw mini s35 camera or Black magic cinema camera???
BMCC is steel Limited Shipping. and even Big Boss Grant dont knows when it will be available :)
Kineraw mini s35 i think after NAB 2013 will be available :)
and the prise will be the same i think......

Perry Mulder

Netherlands

PostThu Jan 24, 2013 6:20 pm

Just spoke with someone from cameratools.nl (store in the Netherlands),

They now have a demo model for everyone to test out at the store. They are the first in the Ned's to have a demo model. He told me that showroommodels are now being shipped in low quantity, no word on models for consumers yet. They now had 5 preorders in line. But could not tell when they would arrive.

Thought I'd update just for anyone in the Ned's willing to try the camera out. Their store is in Apeldoorn 8-)
"http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?15224-My-first-82min-featurelength-film-(filmed-with-BMPC)"

jvpeters

PostThu Jan 24, 2013 7:14 pm

Came to the board hoping for some good news. No joy it seems.

Glad a few others seems to be getting cameras. Seems like Europe mostly? Though that may just be because I did not read all 18 pages of the thread :)

Unfortunately (for us) we may have to cancel our order on these. We were going to use them for some productions, but have pushed it off about as long as we possibly can. I understand the chip delay and other manufacturing problems BM ran into, but we can't really let their poor operational practices impact our bottom-line. Have spoken with reps at BM and everyone is very, very nice, just disorganized and uninformed about their products in general, but primarily on the manufacturing front..

While we would LOVE to be using the BMCC in the studio (I think it's a perfect studio camera) the fact that there is still no good shipping estimate and that the MFT's are being held back means we'll have to punt. Cannot keep paying $400 a day to rent cameras, simply makes no sense... We'll probably see about ordering one after NAB when BM gets their act together on the BMCC and some other products which have also been delayed for months.

The good news is this should free up two or three cameras (depending on how many orders we cancel) for someone else in line! :)

jlambert

PostThu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

I'm not sure I believe it yet, but I ordered a CF version (yes, MFT is awesome, but I want it now) on 01/11/2013 from B&H. I just got notification that it shipped.

I couldn't believe it. I was expecting May or June. So I called B&H, and they say the order is going out. They also said it appeared to be legit. Still didn't believe it. Customer Service confirm it. So I call Pro Camera. They don't even have their demo unit, but he confirmed it looked like it was going out. Whatever, this can't be right.

Well, there's only one thing left to do besides just wait to see what comes in the UPS truck. I called BlackMagic, and they couldn't believe it. But they said if the order said it's shipping, it's shipping. Listen, I heard B&H had 700+ backorders alone, and that's been confirmed as roughly correct from BM now from a couple of sources. But I think they're really laying into that backlog. They must, or I just totally cut in line, and if I did, I'm really sorry to everyone who's been so patiently waiting — I didn't do it on purpose.

And so then apparently you can order a Blackmagic CF mount camera now. And you'll have it in about 14 days from the day you order.

There's always the possibility I get a box with cut up flooring in it tomorrow — it's happened before to people. But I had to post this to the forums, because I know people seem to be really frustrated about not getting their cameras, and apparently, you can now get them. Or at least it appears so — I'll know tomorrow.

I just about fell out of my chair. I still don't believe it's shipping. Crap, I have to go buy an SSD right freekin' now for this thing.

Joerg Plechinger

PostThu Jan 24, 2013 9:42 pm

In germany there are the first BMCCs available! ... got mine today from TELTEC, Wiesbaden!
Yeah :D
guys, it's worth waiting ... it wont be long ... ;)

Jason Greene

PostThu Jan 24, 2013 9:59 pm

jlambert wrote:I'm not sure I believe it yet, but I ordered a CF version (yes, MFT is awesome, but I want it now) on 01/11/2013 from B&H. I just got notification that it shipped.

I couldn't believe it. I was expecting May or June. So I called B&H, and they say the order is going out. They also said it appeared to be legit. Still didn't believe it. Customer Service confirm it. So I call Pro Camera. They don't even have their demo unit, but he confirmed it looked like it was going out. Whatever, this can't be right.

There's always the possibility I get a box with cut up flooring in it tomorrow — it's happened before to people. But I had to post this to the forums, because I know people seem to be really frustrated about not getting their cameras, and apparently, you can now get them. Or at least it appears so — I'll know tomorrow.

I'm going to assume that, in your well-deserved excitement, you mean the "EF version."

I just checked my order status from B&H (ordered in late September 2012) and it is still listed as backordered. So, it does appear that B&H shipped to you out of order, if indeed, they shipped your camera.

Good for you! As for B&H: to quote one of my favorite classic TV shows, they got some 'splainin to do!

Also, if you get your camera, I would assume it is fluke and that people cannot expect to get their cams in two weeks.

TuTodd

PostThu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Just got off of the phone with B&H he checked my order #, then said that I should get it in the next week or two.

I really hope he wasn't just telling me what I wanted to hear.

Fingers crossed.

*** EF-Mount -Early May order.***
Last edited by TuTodd on Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thomas Schumacher

PostThu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Joerg Plechinger wrote:In germany there are the first BMCCs available! ... got mine today from TELTEC, Wiesbaden!

Wow, I ordered there, too. When did you pre-order, if I may ask?

Congrats to your first-born :mrgreen:
https://www.gernemehrfilm.de/

TuTodd

PostThu Jan 24, 2013 10:17 pm

Anyone buying into this "Metabones Speedbooster adapter"??

think the'll make an EF-EF model for the EF-BMCC customers who have EF-mount glass??

Ruben Fernandez

billmanolios

PostFri Jan 25, 2013 12:42 am

TuTodd wrote:Anyone buying into this "Metabones Speedbooster adapter"??

think the'll make an EF-EF model for the EF-BMCC customers who have EF-mount glass??

Supposedly an EF-EF adapter is impossible due to lens design and flange distance or whatever. I am buying into the adapter, because the reasoning behind its claims is logical, and the test footage seems to prove its worth. I want to switch my order to M43 for this reason, but it seems risky to make such a decision based on a product that has not been widely used and that might experience its own nine month shipping delay.

popcornflix

PostFri Jan 25, 2013 2:17 am

Austin Spinks wrote:Got mine today! I placed my order mid August in the UK, pretty surprised it's here in January, but there you go!

jlambert wrote:…I ordered ...on 01/11/2013 from B&H. I just got notification that it shipped.

…apparently you can order a Blackmagic CF mount camera now. And you'll have it in about 14 days from the day you order.

Okay, this brings my blood near the boiling point. As a customer who was first-in-line in April for EF, then converted ("without penalty") to first-in-line for MFT, I'm beyond disappointed with BMD for shipping to customers who ordered in August and January 2013, and not shipping MFT.

Rumor from EOSHD wrote:According to multiple sources (which may turn out to be completely fake), the camera features:

Slightly revised chassis design
Improved raw codec
Phantom XLR power
Larger internal battery
External battery mount
Active 4/3rd’s mount (electronic contacts for zoom, aperture and focus on Lumix and Olympus lenses)
The camera ‘should be announced in early 2013′.

If this is true, those of us who pre-ordered the MFT better be getting this new puppy. (Maybe that's what Grant meant by "no point" in making the MFTs because he knows the active MFTs are almost ready to ship?)

If they shove us to the back of the line waiting for the MFT, and then make it obsolete with the active MFT one month later, it's time to metaphorically storm the castle with pitchforks and torches.

You know, BMD, if you're going to leapfrog over the passive MFT and ship us the rumored active MFT, all you'd have to do is post something like:

"Dear MFT customers,

Sorry for the wait.
Trust us, it'll be worth it.
You'll be happy.
Please be patient."

And we'd all stop bellyaching.
Last edited by popcornflix on Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

sergior

PostFri Jan 25, 2013 2:27 am

We are talking about the shipment of the BMCC. Please try to stay on topic. :?

Congrats to all of those who have received their cameras. I order mines from B&H on July 9th, going to ring them up tomorrow and ask them why I havent heard a word if people who order much later than me are getting shipping notifications. If they give me anything worth posting I will come back share.

Tobias Castorph

PostFri Jan 25, 2013 2:47 am

Joerg Plechinger wrote:In germany there are the first BMCCs available! ... got mine today from TELTEC, Wiesbaden!

when did you order Joerg? We also ordered at Teltec (Berlin office) beginning of June 2012. Do you know how many units they received in the first batch?

Congrats to your new cam!
MIDDLEEASTMAMBO
PRODUCTION & STUDIOS
Petersburger Str. 73
10249 Berlin

info@middleeastmambo.com

Tobias Castorph /CEO / Cinematographer

Carlos Delilah

PostFri Jan 25, 2013 2:48 am

Ready to be made. They havent even started building them.

thomasblakeramsey

PostFri Jan 25, 2013 4:25 am

Okay, so here is a CONCRETE update for all your guys waiting from B&H.

So my studio is about 5 blocks away from the Megastore in New York City, and like all of you, I want to hold the camera and get my hands on one. Since I knew the wait is long, I decided to brave the cold to walk up the street and see if they had a demo model on the floor. YES THEY DID. Beautiful little camera. Now here is the kicker. I set the camera down and strike up a convo with the B&H worker to get us some confirmed numbers for their shipments. This might have been stated before....but he said right now they are getting FIVE cameras per week. They have a backorder list that is over 1000 orders. He then goes on to say that bulk shipments will start along with the MFT BMCC. He says that should be flowing in 3 to 4 weeks.

So if you are still waiting and near NYC, but want a fix, go play with the demo model.

BetaEcho

PostFri Jan 25, 2013 4:37 am

thomasblakeramsey wrote:Okay, so here is a CONCRETE update for all your guys waiting from B&H.

So my studio is about 5 blocks away from the Megastore in New York City, and like all of you, I want to hold the camera and get my hands on one. Since I knew the wait is long, I decided to brave the cold to walk up the street and see if they had a demo model on the floor. YES THEY DID. Beautiful little camera. Now here is the kicker. I set the camera down and strike up a convo with the B&H worker to get us some confirmed numbers for their shipments. This might have been stated before....but he said right now they are getting FIVE cameras per week. They have a backorder list that is over 1000 orders. He then goes on to say that bulk shipments will start along with the MFT BMCC. He says that should be flowing in 3 to 4 weeks.

So if you are still waiting and near NYC, but want a fix, go play with the demo model.

Thank you. Sincerely thank you.

Trevor Zuck

PostFri Jan 25, 2013 4:41 am

thomasblakeramsey wrote:Okay, so here is a CONCRETE update for all your guys waiting from B&H.

So at the current rate according to you all orders will be filled in a few months less than 4 years...
I'd hope production rates will increase and should hopefully fill orders by 10 fold soon.
- TZ

Visual FX and Post Production Artist
Screenscape Studios

Sammah

PostFri Jan 25, 2013 5:44 am

I'm a long time lurker here, I've been waiting to order the camera because of all the delays i've seen.

I think biweekly Shipping Updates would be nice.

At least from the standpoint of the consumer, we obviously want information...so until production is at full

capacity (and the MFT model starts shipping) let's have at least some numbers

on devices that have been cranked out.

Just a thought. :)

It would sure make a few people happy.
-Sammah

Samjack

PostFri Jan 25, 2013 6:40 am

Yes we need updates. The majority of us havent recieve their cameras and in some countries there only been single figure release or none. Just because more people recently than previous has recieve theirs it still represent a very low figure.

Joerg Plechinger

PostFri Jan 25, 2013 6:58 am

gmf wrote:

I ordered early april and paid in may ..

Thomas Schumacher

PostFri Jan 25, 2013 8:37 am

Joerg Plechinger wrote:
gmf wrote:

Thanks. Maybe I should pay as well... but I ordered laaate.
https://www.gernemehrfilm.de/

Andreas Kaufmann

PostFri Jan 25, 2013 9:26 am

Joerg Plechinger wrote:
gmf wrote:

Congratulations! What do you mean with "the first BMCC's (Plural) are avaiable".. do you have any information of other BMCC's than yours?
I'm waiting for mine here in Germany..
www.andreas-kaufmann.net

Krikor Kouchian

PostFri Jan 25, 2013 9:54 am

My wife got here BCC yesterday in Paris France. She ordered it in may, early june.
she was 6th in the waiting line, but 2 units got delivered last fall. So she was on 4th position.
It means at least 4 units were delivered if no one canceled their order.
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography