Mr. GRANT, PLEASE MAKE A FOCAL REDUCER for the BMDCamera!

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Gerald Baria

Mr. GRANT, PLEASE MAKE A FOCAL REDUCER for the BMDCamera!

PostTue Jan 15, 2013 3:07 pm

Dear Mr. Grant Petty,

You've made a revolutionary camera. The images coming off it are jaw dropping. Im glad you chose to go with image quality than spec wars with the big boys. You are aware that the biggest "imperfection" with the BMCC is its sensor size. But heck, Metabones have just demonstrated the overwhelming advantages ang possibilities of Focal reducers! The technology is there. It can be made fairly cheap..and will make the BMCC MFT absolutely PERFECT! No more crybabies or whatever about, no wides, lowlight and dof! Now we can enjoy super fast, super cheap lenses, waaay sharper than they ususally are, and are brighter than even real full frame cameras! ALL OF THIS WITH JUST A SIMPLE ADAPTOR YOU CAN MAKE AND SELL FOR LESS THAN 500$ !! This is an amazing piece of tech, and if you can partner with metabones..just please buy them!:)

Here is the Metabones speed booster, it magically turned the apsc nex 7 better than the 5D MK3 n lowlight! Unreal! The nex 7 at 1600 ISO was brighter than the 5D MK3 at 3200 ISO! Damn! http://www.eoshd.com/content/9474/proto ... d-mark-iii
www.vimeo.com/qbetastudios

Edgar Matos (Rocket)

Re: Mr. GRANT, PLEASE MAKE A FOCAL REDUCER for the BMDCamera

PostTue Jan 15, 2013 3:44 pm

The Metabones Speed Booster is currently working with aps-c sensor size. Apparently, the speed booster

degrade the image is almost unnoticeable. Still, the quality of the aps-c camera doesn't vary, it just give you a

wider view point. The espectation to make 4/3 in to a super 35 are in the tighrope. Just hope can save you here

4/3

Ted Blanco

PostTue Jan 15, 2013 5:24 pm

This post should be directed at Metabones (unless BM really were to buy the company.)
I don't think it is even necessary to try and turn the 4/3 into super 35, just reducing the crop to the likes of an APS-C sensor would be a huge improvement. If they can pull that off, something tells me I will be switching to the 4/3 mount in the future.

DaleCampbellFilms

PostTue Jan 15, 2013 6:21 pm

This is a little redundant as metabones are making a mft version of the reducer.... if anything ask for an active mft mount to power the IS on canon lenses ;)
http://www.dalecampbelldop.com

Cameron Mckinlay

PostTue Jan 15, 2013 7:51 pm

I hope they make a ef-ef sounds stupid and there may be an issue with flange distance but one can obly dream right?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Cameron Mckinlay

rick.lang

PostTue Jan 15, 2013 8:25 pm

Ted Blanco wrote:This post should be directed at Metabones (unless BM really were to buy the company.)
I don't think it is even necessary to try and turn the 4/3 into super 35, just reducing the crop to the likes of an APS-C sensor would be a huge improvement. If they can pull that off, something tells me I will be switching to the 4/3 mount in the future.

To summarize the white paper if my understanding of the optics is correct:

The Metabones focal-reducer on a EF lens-to-MFT mount creates an image circle of about 21.6mm in diameter on a true micro four-thirds sensor with a resulting multiplier of 0.71 affecting the field-of-view on a full-frame 35mm lens, for example, as if it were now a 25mm lens and a full stop faster as long as the wide aperture of the EF lens is about f1.26. Please take a moment to digest that.

Now we are concerned here about the BMCC which as you know has a sensor size smaller than a micro four-thirds sensor. If we take the identical focal-reducer and mount it on the BMCC MFT camera, about 15% of that reduced image circle is lost as the BMCC sensor fits well within the image circle. So we will see the increased centre sharpness and even less of the loss of resolution at the edges and we get the increased brightness of the lens, but we won't quite get back to the field-of -view of a true micro four-thirds sensor. Instead of seeing the FOV of a 25mm lens, our 35mm EF lens will look like a 28mm or 29mm lens! Still amazing.

Please let me know if my reasoning is flawed.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Noel Sterrett

PostTue Jan 15, 2013 9:27 pm

rick.lang wrote:Instead of seeing the FOV of a 25mm lens, our 35mm EF lens will look like a 28mm or 29mm lens!

As I understand it, the adapter will make a 35mm lens appear to the BMCC as a 35 x .71 = 25mm lens.

Cheers.
Admit One Pictures
Resolve Studio 18 | Linux Lint 21 | Nvidia 515 | Xeon | iCore | Ryzen

rick.lang

PostTue Jan 15, 2013 11:12 pm

Noel Sterrett wrote:
rick.lang wrote:Instead of seeing the FOV of a 25mm lens, our 35mm EF lens will look like a 28mm or 29mm lens!

As I understand it, the adapter will make a 35mm lens appear to the BMCC as a 35 x .71 = 25mm lens.

Cheers.

I received an explanation from one of the focal-reducer designers. The answer is it will make the BMCC MFT sensor seem as though it is an APS-C sized sensor. Take a look here:
viewtopic.php?t=4124#p25738

Rick Lang
Rick Lang

Gerald Baria

PostTue Jan 15, 2013 11:56 pm

Ive read the white paper 5 times already and everything that this adaptor gives is nothing but awesomeness. It will make BMCC's current sensor a Super35 using full frame lenses. But that's not all of it. The sharpness increase is massive! Several examples were shown at the white paper, the sharpness of the Nikkor F1.2 is dramatically increased with the speed booster! Combine that with the awesomely sharp sensor of the BMCC and we now have the sharpest video camera that exists!:) It will be great if we can have active MFT mount later, but even with the dumb MFT, using proper Cine lenses (Cp.2, Rokinon, CN-E and even manual Zeis or Nikkor lenses) we can already enjoy these benefits! And the wides! A sigma 8mm F4 suddenly becomes a 5.6 F2.8! That lens doesnt even exist..mish more on the sigma's price! THIS IS HUGE!

BM should seriously consider creating a BMCC version, with the BMCC being smaller than MFT sensor, if we can have a focal reducer to match it, then it will be even faster, wider and sharper! Suddenly small sensors become more attractive. Imagine, the lenses perform BETTER when paired with the Speed Booster than on their own!

White paper: http://www.metabones.com/images/metabon ... 0Paper.pdf
www.vimeo.com/qbetastudios

Kholi Hicks

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 12:06 am

Gerald... I think there may be something valid to your thoughts... it may be an opportunity to provide an OLPF or Anti Aliasing hardware in the chain. That's a consideration if it comes from BMD.

Perhaps they could work with the guys that made the 7D AA filter?
Kholi Hicks

rick.lang

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 3:25 am

Gerald Baria wrote:Ive read the white paper 5 times already and everything that this adaptor gives is nothing but awesomeness. It will make BMCC's current sensor a Super35 using full frame lenses...

BM should seriously consider creating a BMCC version, with the BMCC being smaller than MFT sensor, if we can have a focal reducer to match it, then it will be even faster, wider and sharper! Suddenly small sensors become more attractive. Imagine, the lenses perform BETTER when paired with the Speed Booster than on their own!

White paper: http://www.metabones.com/images/metabon ... 0Paper.pdf

Please see my earlier post clarifying the affect of the 0.71 multiplier using the focal-reducer. It reduces the original BMCC MFT crop factor (about 2.3x) to about 1.6x or very similar to an APS-C camera. 2.3 x 0.71 = 1.6.

If you use the focal-reducer on a true micro four-thirds sensor, then you get the effect of that lens as if it were on a Super35 sensor. 2.0 x 0.71 = 1.42. We won't see better than APS-C because our sensor is smaller than MFT even though the mount is MFT.

Concerning your recommendation to BMD, they need to design a focal-reducer with a multiplier of about 0.63 so that the BMCC MFT sensor will appear as if it were Super35. Might be difficult to control all the problems but I think it would be worth pursuing.

Rick Lang
Rick Lang

Samjack

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 5:22 am

Ted Blanco wrote:This post should be directed at Metabones (unless BM really were to buy the company.)

Err Super 35 and APS-C are similar is it not?

Samjack

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 5:24 am

rick.lang wrote:
Noel Sterrett wrote:

Cheers.

I received an explanation from one of the focal-reducer designers. The answer is it will make the BMCC MFT sensor seem as though it is an APS-C sized sensor. Take a look here:
viewtopic.php?t=4124#p25738

Rick Lang

In another word a S35 sized sensor.

Samjack

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 5:33 am

Who would have thought cheap small sensor mirrorless cameras killing off FF camera sales. Even lens sales from big manufacturer is threatened.

I can also expect to see S35 sensor cameras with an option to fit a reducer adapter for a FF look.

Dustin Uy

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 7:13 am

is it possible to have an attachable lens reducer into the ef mount? boy id kill for those :lol:
currently im using a 11-16 2.8 and a 17-50 2.8. anything wider wont have a bigger aperture

I just checked my BMC and yes theres enough space there to be able to insert a focal reducer. great thing is its cone shaped so its easier to attach

EDIT:
scratch that idea.. speed booster reuqires a smaller flange. :\

Noel Sterrett

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 9:22 pm

Samjack wrote:In another word a S35 sized sensor.

BMCC+Metabones: 15.8mm / .71 = 22.2mm width, Crop 1.62

APS-C: 22.2mm width, Crop 1.62

S35: 24.9mm width, Crop 1.45

So it's APS-C, not S35.

Cheers.
Admit One Pictures
Resolve Studio 18 | Linux Lint 21 | Nvidia 515 | Xeon | iCore | Ryzen

Return to Cinematography