BMPC4K RAW - No Longer Working?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

adamosborne

BMPC4K RAW - No Longer Working?

PostMon Nov 16, 2015 2:29 pm

A couple weeks ago, I had a high-contrast, outdoor scene where I knew I'd need to really push the dynamic range. So I switched from ProRes to RAW, and when I flipped back to the viewfinder... it said "No SSD".

Paranoid that I had just lost everything already shot, I went back to ProRes, and it recognized my disk again and showed all the footage. Back to RAW, same message "No SSD."

It's a Kingston HyperX 240GB. I've shot RAW on this just fine for the last year or so. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Why all of a sudden would it decide not to shoot RAW?

Denny Smith

Re: BMPC4K RAW - No Longer Working?

PostMon Nov 16, 2015 6:11 pm

You already shot ProRes on the disk, might not have been the minimum required room left? Or, with that disk, you need to reformat It before shooting Raw. The BMPC and BMCC are very pickey with their drives.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

carlomacchiavello

Re: BMPC4K RAW - No Longer Working?

PostThu Nov 19, 2015 2:46 pm

i use a ssd SanDisk Extreme Pro with bmpc4k and i shot often mixed prores and raw. Few second to reread ssd when i switch from prores to raw, and i'm able to shoot again.
other ssd not allow me to be so flexible, someone require to turn off-on camera, someone need a format (oh god)...
the big problem of ssd is that all ssd is different from controller and memory, and if you grab same ssd noone can allow you you have same disk controller...
crucial m500 old controller allow me to shot 24/25 fps raw, new crucial m500 controller not allow me to record nothing, also prores sometimes give me error...

support for footage is very important, and is very important to use certified ssd.
i tested tons of ssd and
SanDisk Extreme Pro is the unique ssd that allow me to shoot all raw and prores resolution from start to end of space sequentially.

Return to Cinematography