Rokinon Cine Lenses + Metabone Speed Booster

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

arabtornado

Rokinon Cine Lenses + Metabone Speed Booster

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 12:07 pm

What do you think about this budget combination:
Rokinon Cine 14mm T3.1 --- $448.00
Rokinon Cine 24mm T1.5 --- $748.00
Rokinon Cine 35mm T1.5 --- $549.00
Rokinon Cine 85mm T1.5 --- $399.00
"Rokinon Cine 50mm T1.5 not released yet"

and combine those lenses which are fully manual EF lenses and has aperture ring, with Metabone Speed Booster EF to MFT adapter (Philip Bloom says metabone told him that they will release it).

Metabone Speed Booster is able to reduce the focal length by x0.7 and decrease the aperture by 1 stop. which means that 50mm 1.4 mounted on this adapter will be 35mm 1.0. and it will increase the sharpness of the image. all the above is just in the worst case scenario, The idea behind this adapter is when you mount a full frame lens on a coped sensor, the sensor will not cover the entire lens area, there will be light pass around the small sensor so what this adaptor do is it concentrate the light come from full frame lens into the APS-C sensor, that's why it make the lens faster. so the good case scenario is if they developed a new adapter which can concentrate the light on a smaller sensor which is BMCC sensor that has 2.3 crop factor. if they did so then it may decrease the aperture by 2 stops and convert the f1.4 lens to f0.7 or f0.8>

Hundo Hill

Re: Rokinon Cine Lenses + Metabone Speed Booster

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 2:12 pm

Pretty much what I plan to do, I was going to order the EF mount until I saw this adapter. So I'm trying to be patient, and also figured there's no rush since they're not really shipping yet but I plan on ordering the MFT mount fairly soon.

Had to email them myself...

Screen Shot 2013-01-16 at 7.59.09 AM.png
Screenshot of email to Metabone about a MFT Speed Booster
Screen Shot 2013-01-16 at 7.59.09 AM.png (56.66 KiB) Viewed 14555 times

Not sure how far off but this is great news nonetheless!!

Hundo Hill

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 2:27 pm

Not sure why upload is so small but Mark at Metabones confirmed by saying that it's "already on our product road map, just wait"

arabtornado

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 2:36 pm

Thanks "Hundo" for this confirmation and hope they increase the reduction ratio to reach crop factor 1.0, I think it's possible.

Noel Sterrett

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 3:22 pm

arabtornado wrote:Thanks "Hundo" for this confirmation and hope they increase the reduction ratio to reach crop factor 1.0, I think it's possible.

Perhaps one of these days we'll just need one super lens and a bag full of adapters!

Cheers.
Admit One Pictures
Resolve Studio 18 | Linux Lint 21 | Nvidia 515 | Xeon | iCore | Ryzen

rick.lang

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 5:02 pm

arabtornado wrote:What do you think about this budget combination:

and combine those lenses which are fully manual EF lenses and has aperture ring, with Metabone Speed Booster EF to MFT adapter (Philip Bloom says metabone told him that they will release it).

Metabone Speed Booster is able to reduce the focal length by x0.7 and decrease the aperture by 1 stop. which means that 50mm 1.4 mounted on this adapter will be 35mm...

All is good with your plan except the Metabones adapter reduces the 2.3x crop factor by a 0.71 multiplier so the effective crop factor becomes about 1.6x like an APS-C camera!

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

arabtornado

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 5:34 pm

rick.lang wrote:

Metabone Speed Booster is able to reduce the focal length by x0.7 and decrease the aperture by 1 stop. which means that 50mm 1.4 mounted on this adapter will be 35mm...

All is good with your plan except the Metabones adapter reduces the 2.3x crop factor by a 0.71 multiplier so the effective crop factor becomes about 1.6x like an APS-C camera!

Rick Lang

Actually i know that it reduce the crop factor by 0.71, But theoretically if they changes the lens used on the adapter or change the distance between the lens and the sensor then they can concentrate all the light comes from full frame lens on 2.3 sensor instead of 1.6 sensor which means that BMCC with this adapter can reach reach crop factor of 1.0. I suggest that Metabone make MFT for BMCC and another one for S35.

Thomas Schumacher

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 5:37 pm

Hundo wrote:"already on our product road map, just wait"

Yeah, golden words around here... :mrgreen:
https://www.gernemehrfilm.de/

paulkosmala

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 12:29 am

Metabone Speed Booster is able to reduce the focal length by x0.7 and decrease the aperture by 1 stop. which means that 50mm 1.4 mounted on this adapter will be 35mm 1.0. and it will increase the sharpness of the image. all the above is just in the worst case scenario, The idea behind this adapter is when you mount a full frame lens on a coped sensor, the sensor will not cover the entire lens area, there will be light pass around the small sensor so what this adaptor do is it concentrate the light come from full frame lens into the APS-C sensor, that's why it make the lens faster. so the good case scenario is if they developed a new adapter which can concentrate the light on a smaller sensor which is BMCC sensor that has 2.3 crop factor. if they did so then it may decrease the aperture by 2 stops and convert the f1.4 lens to f0.7 or f0.8>

It does not change the f/stop it has no effect on depth of field. It effects t/stop - exposure only.

Brandon Richardson

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 12:33 am

DO you guys think its worth waiting for this product along with the MFT BMCC? Or would you grab an EF version BMCC first chance you got?

Samjack

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 5:03 am

Brandon wrote:DO you guys think its worth waiting for this product along with the MFT BMCC? Or would you grab an EF version BMCC first chance you got?

MFT.
I predict people will be dumping their EF version on ebay once MFT arrives.

If I was BMD and I believe if BMD was to redesign the BMCC as of today I would'nt bother with the EF mount and focus on MFT. The potential with the Speed Booster + BMCC MFT is just too great to resist.

If enough people agree but have preordered the EF version we should all ask Grant instead of producing any more EF to change them all to MFT. Just the case of changing the lens mount.

Really Grant Petty should act on the above and make a decision to ask customers should the company drop the EF and focus entirely on MFT production. I think a lot of people would be happier if all BMCC is MFT. This will also sort out the other problems were customers who switched to MFT feeling hard done by the delays because of current decision to ship EF first.

Gerald Baria

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 11:52 am

It also changes DOF to the way the corrected crop+ aperture would normally behave. Check out eoshd.
www.vimeo.com/qbetastudios

shuibin14

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 1:15 pm

Samjack wrote:
Brandon wrote:DO you guys think its worth waiting for this product along with the MFT BMCC? Or would you grab an EF version BMCC first chance you got?

MFT.
I predict people will be dumping their EF version on ebay once MFT arrives.

If I was BMD and I believe if BMD was to redesign the BMCC as of today I would'nt bother with the EF mount and focus on MFT. The potential with the Speed Booster + BMCC MFT is just too great to resist.

If enough people agree but have preordered the EF version we should all ask Grant instead of producing any more EF to change them all to MFT. Just the case of changing the lens mount.

Really Grant Petty should act on the above and make a decision to ask customers should the company drop the EF and focus entirely on MFT production. I think a lot of people would be happier if all BMCC is MFT. This will also sort out the other problems were customers who switched to MFT feeling hard done by the delays because of current decision to ship EF first.

You are right. I hope Grant Petty could see.

Seaborn

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 1:52 pm

+10
Exactly what i want, change my order to mft
But i keep my pre-order for ef just because the delay!!

Please Grant drop the ef and make mft
Or give us an upgrade kit to change the mount

No more Ef version with lens incompatibility!
Seaborn studio
https://www.studioseaborn.com

Eric Santiago

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 3:45 pm

has anyone given it much thought that now the price for this camera has gone from 3k to almost 4k due to the options regarding MFT?
I just dont understand the neg vibe on the EF.
Its still going to be a great camera right?

I look forward to the switchers that want to dump their EF models at low cost :)

bhook

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 4:04 pm

Eric Santiago wrote:I look forward to the switchers that want to dump their EF models at low cost :)

Actually makes me want to w8 a bit longer... ;)

sean mclennan

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 4:39 pm

Drop the EF mount? That's crazy....

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 5:43 pm

Samjack wrote:... If enough people agree but have preordered the EF version we should all ask Grant instead of producing any more EF to change them all to MFT. ...

The BMCC-EF version has its advantages: Direct, lowest-cost support of many popular electronic-mount EF lenses (including IS).

The sooner I receive my BMCC-EF, the better (my waiting for it since last April has been long enough)!

At a later date I hope to also get a BMCC-MFT: As a backup camera, for 2nd angle shots, and for its own unique advantages.

Cheers.

rick.lang

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 6:23 pm

Eric Santiago wrote:has anyone given it much thought that now the price for this camera has gone from 3k to almost 4k due to the options regarding MFT?

Would you describe those options that you are thinking of besides the $600 Metabones adapter which is only an option and not everyone will use it since it requires EF full-frame lenses. For example, I don't plan on buying the adapter because I only have EF-S lenses. The BMCC MFT price hasn't changed if you are purchasing lenses designed for the MFT mount such as those from SLR Magic which I plan to purchase.

And don't overlook that people will also be buying various adapters to mount non-Canon lenses on the BMCC EF camera.

Hope you are enjoying your new camera by the way!

Rick Lang
Rick Lang

Seaborn

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 9:52 pm

I look forward to the switchers that want to dump their EF models at low cost

WAIT FOR ME, as soon as the mft ship normal delay, i will drop my ef version for less price!
And i'm at position 3 in montreal city!
:mrgreen:
Seaborn studio
https://www.studioseaborn.com

Samjack

PostFri Jan 18, 2013 1:10 am

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:
Samjack wrote:... If enough people agree but have preordered the EF version we should all ask Grant instead of producing any more EF to change them all to MFT. ...

The BMCC-EF version has its advantages: Direct, lowest-cost support of many popular electronic-mount EF lenses (including IS).

The sooner I receive my BMCC-EF, the better (my waiting for it since last April has been long enough)!

At a later date I hope to also get a BMCC-MFT: As a backup camera, for 2nd angle shots, and for its own unique advantages.

Cheers.

I think too much is made about the IS for video cameras. Aperture change on a Canon body for me is no big deal on a dumb MFT to EF mount. The Speed Booster turning all your lens to S35 spec trumps everything. If you ask anyone if they have an option of choosing a BMCC one with S35 style sensor but a dumb EF mount or a S16 style sensor with electronic EF mount both selling at $3k 99% of people would choose S35.
Last edited by Samjack on Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Samjack

PostFri Jan 18, 2013 1:21 am

Eric Santiago wrote:has anyone given it much thought that now the price for this camera has gone from 3k to almost 4k due to the options regarding MFT?
I just dont understand the neg vibe on the EF.
Its still going to be a great camera right?

I look forward to the switchers that want to dump their EF models at low cost :)

Well you should understand the limitation of the EF models. It is still a great camera but not great lens option. With 2.3 crop sensor and unless you choose to only shoot telephoto what sort of reasonable wide angle or even mid focal range lenses that are fast enough can you get on your EF?

Even without the Speed Booster the MFT has the fast ultra wide Voigtlanders that allows wide angle and mid level focal range to a 2.3 cropped sensor. Metabones made it even more tempting for MFT. Its a no brainer.

Eric Santiago

PostFri Jan 18, 2013 2:07 pm

rick.lang wrote:Would you describe those options that you are thinking of besides the $600 Metabones adapter

I was thinking in terms of the cost of gearing up for the MFT model.

Now what would have been worse, BMD announcing the MFT for Dec, or waiting till NAB 2013 to release (on the day)?

Sorry I derailed this post with propaganda :)

I look forward to any great product that will support a great tool such as the BMCC.

Giacomo Talamini

PostFri Jan 18, 2013 10:37 pm

Personally, I would go crazy for an EF-EF speed booster which would just correct the 2.3 crop factor, give me an extra stop and allow electronic control of EF lenses on the BMCC.
I have no idea if that would be technically possible, nor if the EF-BMCC market is big enough to justify the creation of such a product, but let me use my arsenal of L lenses with the focal length I bought them for, add an extra stop of speed and I'm in heaven.

Jarrett Craig

PostSat Jan 19, 2013 5:19 am

You will be happy with those choices of glass I'm sure. Good prices too.

I have too much tied up in EF glass. Doesn't make sense to re-kit for MFT.
For the amount I use an ultra wide angle lens, I'm quite happy with an 8mm which will give me a field of view equivalent to an 18mm with the crop factor. On most shows I've worked on in super35, the 18 is our "wide" lens. It rarely gets used. The favorite lens is often the 27mm primo.

Here's a video I came across. It was all shot with the EF mount camera and he lists his selection of lenses. I don't think he's lacking any focal lengths.

Samjack

PostSat Jan 19, 2013 6:21 am

Giacomo Talamini wrote:Personally, I would go crazy for an EF-EF speed booster which would just correct the 2.3 crop factor, give me an extra stop and allow electronic control of EF lenses on the BMCC.
I have no idea if that would be technically possible, nor if the EF-BMCC market is big enough to justify the creation of such a product, but let me use my arsenal of L lenses with the focal length I bought them for, add an extra stop of speed and I'm in heaven.

It is technically possible on an open mirrorless EF mount but would involve either a redesign that protrude the sensor further forward so it is up close against the speed booster or Metabones find a way to create something to bridge the gap.

Samjack

PostSat Jan 19, 2013 6:34 am

Jarrett Craig wrote:You will be happy with those choices of glass I'm sure. Good prices too.

I have too much tied up in EF glass. Doesn't make sense to re-kit for MFT.
For the amount I use an ultra wide angle lens, I'm quite happy with an 8mm which will give me a field of view equivalent to an 18mm with the crop factor. On most shows I've worked on in super35, the 18 is our "wide" lens. It rarely gets used. The favorite lens is often the 27mm primo.

Here's a video I came across. It was all shot with the EF mount camera and he lists his selection of lenses. I don't think he's lacking any focal lengths.

MFT does not stop you from using your EF glass. I can still use my EF glass with a cheap $20 adapter on my GH2. I just set the lens aperture on a Canon body.

Jason R. Johnston

PostSun Jan 20, 2013 1:05 am

paulkosmala wrote:It does not change the f/stop it has no effect on depth of field. It effects t/stop - exposure only.

Exposure directly affects depth of field.

f/stops and t/stops are the same thing: they both are registers of a lens' aperature (f-number, which affects exposure) except t/stops are more accurate because they are calculated with the light efficiency of that particular lens. Still lenses have f-numbers because they don't have to be as accurate as a motion picture lens which takes 24 stills a second and must be very accurate.
JASONRJOHNSTON.COM | CINEMATOGRAPHER | DIRECTOR | EDITOR | COLORIST
RED Komodo | DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5 | 2023 MacBook M2 Pro 14

Gavin Benjamin

PostSun Jan 20, 2013 1:12 am

i dont see why Black magic can't make this kinda tech into the camera and allow us to change the mount and allow us to us more options.
G.

Darryl Gregory

PostSun Jan 20, 2013 2:03 am

For 3k I'm simply going to buy one EF and one MFT, that settles it for me, Hell I may buy 2 MFT and one EF if they make some serious progress in the firmware...who knows.

Jules Bushell

PostSun Jan 20, 2013 10:23 am

Jason R. Johnston wrote:
paulkosmala wrote:It does not change the f/stop it has no effect on depth of field. It effects t/stop - exposure only.

Exposure directly affects depth of field.

Yep, depth of field is affected by these attributes:

f-stop of the lens
focal length of the lens
focus distance of the lens.
sensor size of the camera

These affect the size of the circle of confusion and hence the depth of field.

Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk

paulgolden

PostTue Jan 22, 2013 7:02 pm

Most of my lenses for motion work are Contax Zeiss manuals (apertures/focus) with EF hard mounts (LEITAX), so the EF to MFT adapter would work fine. I actually prefer manual iris for speed of change.

And I'm heartened by the fact that Metabones is related to Conurus, the folks that adapted my Zeiss 24-85N lens to EF electronics. (So they have experience with adapting electronics from one system to another)

But what happens to Canon EF lenses with electronic apertures on the MFT Speed Booster? I don't really care that much about autofocus in video, but can you control the aperture (quickly) on EF lenses through the camera?

Also, what does the BMCC do with manual iris information in metadata? f0.0?

Noel Sterrett

PostWed Jan 23, 2013 2:10 pm

This is the first test of the Metabone Speed Booster I've seen: http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/01/metabones-magic

"The Speed Booster does what they claimed it would do, much to my shock and surprise. It creates a wider-angle, greater aperture lens while retaining resolution and acutance." - Roger Cicala

Perhaps they should have called it the Blackmagic Sales Booster. :D

Cheers.
Admit One Pictures
Resolve Studio 18 | Linux Lint 21 | Nvidia 515 | Xeon | iCore | Ryzen

adamroberts

PostWed Jan 23, 2013 2:49 pm

Noel Sterrett wrote:This is the first test of the Metabone Speed Booster I've seen

EOSHD also have a detailed review:
http://www.eoshd.com/content/9485/metab ... ull-review

As does Philip Bloom and James Miller:
http://philipbloom.net/2013/01/13/speedbooster/

Return to Cinematography