Canon 5D Mark iii & Video Assist

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Timur Zavalin

Canon 5D Mark iii & Video Assist

PostFri Nov 20, 2015 4:18 pm

Hello, I set there some kind of a guide that shows steps I need to take to get mark iii ready for video assist? I just got mine in the mail and I can't get the signal to the video assist. I turned on mirroring, the camera LCD turns off but it's not transmitting to the video assist.

Any suggestions? I read the video assist guide and camera guide but it didn't resolve the issue.

Adam Oestergaard

Re: Canon 5D Mark iii & Video Assist

PostMon Nov 23, 2015 7:17 pm

I had the same problem.
I just got black screen with menus on the Video Assist when connecting the hdmi cables and under "Source" it said "none" on the Video Assist.
turned out, the HDMI cable i was using was either too old or faulty.
I ordered one of the Amazon hdmi to hdmi mini cables and everything worked perfectly right away.

Adam

Denny Smith

PostTue Nov 24, 2015 12:24 am

Cables, cables, cables... Older SDI and HDMI cables do not always work, or work correctly -- they do not have the required bandwidth, or have become faulty (broken down). I had a brand new HDMI cable that did not work at the higher frame rates (worked with 1080p24/30 but not 1080p60), got a new high bandwidth pro cable, works great. The first thing to check when a new piece of gear like the Video Assist is not working, is the cable!
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Timur Zavalin

PostTue Nov 24, 2015 6:54 am

Denny Smith wrote:Cables, cables, cables... Older SDI and HDMI cables do not always work, or work correctly -- they do not have the required bandwidth, or have become faulty (broken down). I had a brand new HDMI cable that did not work at the higher frame rates (worked with 1080p24/30 but not 1080p60), got a new high bandwidth pro cable, works great. The first thing to check when a new piece of gear like the Video Assist is not working, is the cable!

I just got another cable at Best Buy... same thing LCD on the camera turns off but no video on the VA. Can someone recommend a cable that worked for them. Preferably from Amazon so I can get it here faster.

Thank you

Denny Smith

PostTue Nov 24, 2015 7:51 pm

Best Buy cables are low quality consumer cables at best, or discounted discontinued lower bandwidth cables. I use this cable from B&H http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Nt ... av-Search=

Also these are good DSLR camera cables http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Nt ... av-Search=
Also Zacuto and Wooden Camera have nice high bandwidth cables available.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Timur Zavalin

PostWed Nov 25, 2015 7:11 am

Denny Smith wrote:Best Buy cables are low quality consumer cables at best, or discounted discontinued lower bandwidth cables. I use this cable from B&H http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Nt ... av-Search=

Also these are good DSLR camera cables http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Nt ... av-Search=
Also Zacuto and Wooden Camera have nice high bandwidth cables available.
Cheers

I ordered the Atomos cables. I hope it works. I tried different hdmi cables at work and none of them seem to work. :( Anyone has any other suggestions I can try? Maybe someone solved a similar issue?

Timur Zavalin

PostTue Dec 01, 2015 3:09 am

So the Atomos cable came in today. Still no luck... could it be a bad unit? I'm waiting for the 4k/3d cable to come in tomorrow and then planning on returning the unit. I'm very discouraged that the cables have anything to do with the unit not working.
Attachments
IMG_4688.JPG
Atomos cables
IMG_4688.JPG (579.21 KiB) Viewed 5259 times

Denny Smith

PostTue Dec 01, 2015 4:01 am

Do you have another video source other than the Canon camera? Also, what settings are you using on the Canon 5D? I will try to test my VA with a Fanon 5D MkII tomorrow. Also, do,you have access to a HDMI TV or other monitor to check,that the camera is outputting a signal? I know this all must be very frustrating for you. Often it is the HDMI cable that is the problem, but not always. In basic troubleshooting, you try to eliminate the other variables that could be the issue.
Cheers.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Timur Zavalin

PostTue Dec 01, 2015 4:36 am

Denny Smith wrote:Do you have another video source other than the Canon camera? Also, what settings are you using on the Canon 5D? I will try to test my VA with a Fanon 5D MkII tomorrow. Also, do,you have access to a HDMI TV or other monitor to check,that the camera is outputting a signal? I know this all must be very frustrating for you. Often it is the HDMI cable that is the problem, but not always. In basic troubleshooting, you try to eliminate the other variables that could be the issue.
Cheers.

I'm an IT and that just what I did. I tested the camera output on my TV and it worked like a charm. I user a Belkin HDMI to do that. I'm thinking that maybe there is some kind of a special setting that I'm missing on the camera that is required for the Video Assist to work. But I'm just about ready to give up... :(

If you can test it that be great. But I've seen videos on the internet... People are using them with Canon 5D without any problems.

I guess I'm just not so lucky when it comes to buying new Blackmagic equipment. I remember the time when ATEM Television Studio came out, I got the first shipment and it was defective. Had to send it back to get a new one.

Paul Beauchamp

PostTue Dec 01, 2015 8:55 am

Firstly, I'm assuming your 5D is on FW 1.2.3 or higher?

Lets set up as 24p and see if we can get it working.

Set 5d to video mode.

Menu - Third tab of "spanner" - Video System - PAL

Menu - Fourth tab of "camera" - Movie rec size - 1920 x 24 x ALL-I

Menu - Fifth tab of "camera" - HDMI output + LCD - Mirroring

Menu - Scroll to the second tab of the "spanner" - HDMI frame rate - 24p

Let me know if that works..

Timur Zavalin

PostTue Dec 01, 2015 4:13 pm

Paul Beauchamp wrote:Firstly, I'm assuming your 5D is on FW 1.2.3 or higher?

Lets set up as 24p and see if we can get it working.

Set 5d to video mode.

Menu - Third tab of "spanner" - Video System - PAL

Menu - Fourth tab of "camera" - Movie rec size - 1920 x 24 x ALL-I

Menu - Fifth tab of "camera" - HDMI output + LCD - Mirroring

Menu - Scroll to the second tab of the "spanner" - HDMI frame rate - 24p

Let me know if that works..

I'm in an NTSC region but I tried it just for the sake of the experiment. Still no luck...

Denny Smith

PostTue Dec 01, 2015 8:01 pm

No, do not set it to PAL, some issue with VA not working with GH4s set to PAL, leave it on NTSC (60kHz).
Last edited by Denny Smith on Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Timur Zavalin

PostWed Dec 02, 2015 2:49 am

Denny Smith wrote:No, do not set it to PAL, some issue with VA networking with GH4s set to PAL, leave it on NTSC (60kHz).

I just got the 4K/3D Ethernet HDMI cables and still nothing. Back to B&H is goes.... :-(

Return to Cinematography