HDSDI out not working

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Adam Jeal

HDSDI out not working

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 6:28 pm

I initially tried the following cheap HDSDI to HDMI converter on my BMCC http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?1 ... -converter to find that it didn't work with both my Lilliput monitor and my LG computer monitor (both support progressive frames). I've just bought a Blackmagic battery converter and tried that. No joy either.

Has this happened to anyone else? - Any suggestions would be welcome.

Adam
Adam Jeal
Acoustic Space Productions Ltd
www.acoustic-space.com
www.static-film.com
www.twitter.com/adamjeal

Adam Jeal

Re: HDSDI out not working

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 9:12 pm

Done some further investigating and discovered that both the cheapo converter and the BM one work on another iiyama monitor that I own. Both my LG and my Lilliput claim to support progressive. What's going on?
Adam Jeal
Acoustic Space Productions Ltd
www.acoustic-space.com
www.static-film.com
www.twitter.com/adamjeal

John Richard

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 11:54 pm

Tested a SmallHD DP6 via output from the HD-SDI port of the BMCC. It works but takes a little time to "synch". But there is some weird artifacting and blocking when even moderately panning in horizontal direction (not vertical). And it is only in the upper 20% of the DP6 screen.
Does not matter what frame rate, format (ProRes or DNGRaw), or SDI overlays on or off.

John Richard

PostFri Jan 18, 2013 3:37 pm

After contacting SmallHD tech the fix for the DP6 is to go into the menu and set it for image flip and then mount the monitor upside down.

It works fine with no tearing.

SmallHD said that the LCD is actually mounted upside down in manufacture and the normal setting for the screen is actually flipping the image requiring processing power. Seems all backwards but it works. And it actually puts the SDI ports at the bottom of the monitor which works better.

Xtreemtec

PostSat Jan 19, 2013 4:07 pm

Haha Weird.. But from a designer standpoint it probably has to do with the side of the lcd were the flatcable is comming from. That possibly was interfering with something llike a connector or screw terminal. So that is probably why they inserted the lcd upside down. (should also have more latency inverted i guess...)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Cinematography