Underwater scene with the pocket camera

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Granit Neziri

Underwater scene with the pocket camera

PostTue Dec 08, 2015 11:24 am

Hello

Im working on a shortmovie right now and its almost finished. The last scene is supposed to be shot underwater so im wondering if anyone knows any DIY method to seal the camera somehow(like 1m deep)

Marcel Beck

Re: Underwater scene with the pocket camera

PostTue Dec 08, 2015 1:42 pm

Granit Neziri wrote:Hello

Im working on a shortmovie right now and its almost finished. The last scene is supposed to be shot underwater so im wondering if anyone knows any DIY method to seal the camera somehow(like 1m deep)

I would strongly suggest getting a EWA Marine style soft underwater bag for the pocket.

(Oh and in my part of the world its perfect against the nasty sandstorms.)

DIY might be tricky because of several characteristics of shooting underwater. For example, your image will be magnified ~20%, closed environments (Even 1 meter underwater has significant pressure on the housing) to name a few.

I wouldn't save on this piece of kit, it could be a $995 mistake. Check local rental places if they have it, or local dive centres who might know a fellow underwater photographer who could help you out.
Marcel Beck
Cinematographer & Producer
follow me: @mxbstudios

Jo Unruh

PostTue Dec 08, 2015 2:28 pm

EWA Marine do one for the pocket. http://www.ewa-marine.com/index.php?id= ... Camera&L=0

I have used these bags for photography and they work well (well enough for me to trust a £5k dslr and £2k lens in it).

I would also recommend getting a plastic gray card to do your white balance off. Underwater can make colours quite funky.
Real Name Jo Unruh

Tyler Edwards

PostTue Dec 08, 2015 2:31 pm

What about something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Ikelite-6990-01-U ... underwater

DIY and underwater typically are not good ideas unless you really know what you are doing. I wouldn't risk it, but you may be braver than I :)
www.youtube.com/tylerfedwards

Granit Neziri

PostTue Dec 08, 2015 10:21 pm

Yes, those bags seems to be the best and cheapest option for me. I found one on amazon that seems to be compatible with the lens(es) im using because i have a samyang 24mm lens and a century anamorphic lens attached to it, so its quite long.

This is the one
http://www.amazon.co.uk/DiCAPac-WP-S10- ... pac+WP-S10

Return to Cinematography