Recording after connecting to the socket ?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Ash Sumpter

Recording after connecting to the socket ?

PostThu Dec 10, 2015 6:02 pm

Hi,
I'm really about buying a Blackmagic Cinema Camera 2.5K.But my budget for camera equipment is not really THAT big to buy everything what is needed for casual use of BMCC yet, so I'm speaking about external battery solutions. I was thinking...it is possible recording when is camera connect with power adaptor to the socket ? When I word with Sony HDR-FX1E for instance, there is possible "run from electricity to the infinity". What about BMCC camera ? :)

Thank you.
Regards,
Ash.

LennartBöwering

Re: Recording after connecting to the socket ?

PostFri Dec 11, 2015 12:38 am

Simple answer: Yes it is.
It will charge the battery to 100% and afterwards simply power the whole camera (depending on the internal circuitry that may weaken the battery on a long term, but I don't think so)

I have done it multiple times when recording for periods that even an external battery couldn't provide (e.g. time-lapse for a whole day, or a 4h-concert-recording)

C.A.M. Gerlach

Re: Recording after connecting to the socket ?

PostFri Dec 11, 2015 10:56 pm

For a Li-Ion/Li-Po, there might be some wear on the battery over the long term, both from being constantly topped off every once and a while, and they do wear somewhat faster at 100% rather than at 40%. However, this is very minor in the grand scheme of things relative to actually being fully charged/discharged powering the camera normally. So you should be fine.
CAM Gerlach (Christopher A. M. Gerlach)
I am not an expert; take any advice I give with a grain of salt.

Return to Cinematography