17" MacBook Pro, Cinema Camera and Ultrascopes

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

adamroberts

17" MacBook Pro, Cinema Camera and Ultrascopes

PostWed Jan 23, 2013 5:11 pm

Today I had some downtime so I thought I'd have a look at using Ultrascopes with my Cinema Camera.

I have a late 2011 17" MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt. Connected the camera and booted up the machine.

When I try launch Ultrascopes I get the following error:
Startup Failed
UltraScopes could not configure the capture hardware

If I check the System Profile I can see the camera listed under Thunderbolt:
Code: Select all
Vendor Name:   Blackmagic Design
Device Name:   Cinema Camera
Vendor ID:   0x4
Device ID:   0xA125
Device Revision:   0x1
UID:   0x00040000000E26C0
Route String:   1
Firmware Version:   7.1
Port:
Link Status:   2
Port Micro Firmware Version:   0.2.5
Cable Firmware Version:   0.1.18

When I launch Blackmagic Media Express it sees the camera and can capture straight to disc in the same HD 1080p formats the camera supports (23.98, 24, 25, 29.97 and 30).

So I know the Thunderbolt link is ok.

I tried un-installing Ultrascopes and re-installed it from a fresh download from the site and I get the same issue.

I then launched Resolve 9.1. When I set the preferences to capture from the "Blackmagic Cinema Camera" and restart Resolve I get the following alert:
Failed to initialize DeckLink card - Please instal DeckLink card/drivers and restart Resolve.

If I reset the Capter preferences to "None" and restart that error no longer appears.

Is my MacBook Pro not supported? Is this a bug? Am I doing something wrong?

Spec as follows:
Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,3
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
Memory: 8 GB
Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD 6770M - 1024 MB

adamroberts

Re: 17" MacBook Pro, Cinema Camera and Ultrascopes

PostThu Jan 24, 2013 3:39 pm

OK I have Ultrascopes working. Thanks to advice from Chris Pearse in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4317&start=30

I ran the un-installer on the Software CD that ships with the camera and then re-installed the package. Now Ultrascopes works a treat.

Still can't capture from any app other than Media Express. Even tho the manual states on page 29:
Video Capture
You can also use your favorite video capture applications to capture video from the Thunderbolt port of your Blackmagic Cinema Camera. Applications include Blackmagic Media Express, DaVinci Resolve, Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 and Apple Final Cut Pro 7. The "Using Blackmagic Media Express" chapter of this manual contains detailed instructions for performing simple captures with Media Express.

There does not appear to be any way of capturing from the camera in FCP7. I've not tried Premiere Pro CS6 yet.

When selecting the "Blackmagic Cinema Camera" in "Preferences: Video I/O Hardware" in Resolve 9.1 and restarting Resolve I get the following error:
Failed to initialize DeckLink card - Please install DeckLink card/driver and restart resolve

Return to Cinematography