Alphatron EVF BMCC

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Ben Dickins

Alphatron EVF BMCC

PostWed Feb 03, 2016 10:44 pm

Hello,

Can anyone who has used the Alphatron EVF on the BMCC, comment on how useable the waveform is?

I have read some people say that is is very small and hard to judge.

Thank you

Dave Perry

Re: Alphatron EVF BMCC

PostThu Feb 04, 2016 1:41 am

I have one for my BMPC4K and It's quite nice. The waveform is small but I like it much better than the histogram on the camera. Be very careful about leaving the eye piece facing up at the sky when shooting outside. The diopter will act like a magnifying glass and fry the LCD screen. I know, I've done it a couple of times. Of all of the cameras I've used outdoors, I've never had that happen to an LCD in a viewfinder.
S1H
----------------------------------------------
Dave Perry Cinematographer LLC
Director of Photography • Camera Operator
524 N. Normandie Ave. Unit 2
Hollywood USA 90004
LAcinematographer.com

adamroberts

PostThu Feb 04, 2016 7:01 am

I used mine on my BMPC4K and BMCC. Loved using it. Waveform is small but still very usable. Can be set to full width of the screen tho it's more pixelated. Gives you enough info to judge exposure. Also has false colour.

Selling mine now as I've sold both cameras (awaiting my URSA 4.6k).

Would have been brilliant if it could have had LUTs or even a simple LOG to REC709 option but apparently there is not enough processing overhead in it. Still a solid bit of kit.

Ben Dickins

PostFri Feb 05, 2016 10:02 am

Thank you both very much.

Can I ask do zebras indicating clipping on the BMCC get passed through to the Alphatron display?

Dave Perry

PostFri Feb 05, 2016 12:32 pm

Ben Dickins wrote:Thank you both very much.

Can I ask do zebras indicating clipping on the BMCC get passed through to the Alphatron display?

Yes, zebras from the camera will show on any display connected to it.
S1H
----------------------------------------------
Dave Perry Cinematographer LLC
Director of Photography • Camera Operator
524 N. Normandie Ave. Unit 2
Hollywood USA 90004
LAcinematographer.com

adamroberts

PostSun Feb 07, 2016 2:31 pm

Ben Dickins wrote:Can I ask do zebras indicating clipping on the BMCC get passed through to the Alphatron display?

You can set the camera to output the same info it outputs on the built in screen. In this case the zebras (generated by the camera) would reflect the clipping at the sensor level. However the Alphatron also has it's own zebras and false colour. These, like the waveform, are based the processed feed from the camera (10bit 422 in BMFilm LOG space when shooting RAW).

So it's best to shoot tests so you know that those tools are actually telling you.

Ben Dickins

PostMon Feb 08, 2016 12:17 am

Am I correct in thinking because the Alphatron (or any monitor/evf) is reading the processed signal from the camera, if you set the iso in camera to 400 and show RAW. Then set exposure via external evf/monitor, when bringing the RAW footage into resolve it would be ETTR by one stop as the camera natively recorded at 800.

sean mclennan

PostMon Feb 08, 2016 5:21 am

I strongly suggest you take a good look at the Cineroid EVF4RVW. It has better tools than the Alphatron. (which I own). If waveforms and zebras are important to you, get the Cineroid.

adamroberts

PostMon Feb 08, 2016 9:18 am

Ben Dickins wrote:Am I correct in thinking because the Alphatron (or any monitor/evf) is reading the processed signal from the camera, if you set the iso in camera to 400 and show RAW. Then set exposure via external evf/monitor, when bringing the RAW footage into resolve it would be ETTR by one stop as the camera natively recorded at 800.

Yes. You'll effectively be giving you RAW data an extra stop of light. You'll want to keep an eye on your hi light to make sure they are not clipping.

Return to Cinematography