URSA Mini 4K - Some slightly worrying reviews

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Ryan Best

URSA Mini 4K - Some slightly worrying reviews

PostMon Feb 08, 2016 9:43 am

A video by Sunnyspeed Studio (no affiliation whatsoever) has started doing the rounds. The video is titled "Do not buy Blackmagic URSA Mini 4K with 12 reasons".

DISCLAIMER: I want to make clear, the views shared in the video or otherwise are not my own, just something that popped up on my timeline yesterday. I have had no experience with this particular camera, but I do own the Production, Cinema and Pocket variations, so no stranger to the issues surrounding previous models.

Whilst a lot can be said for the conditions that the video was shot in (not so much low light, more no light, on a camera with a base ISO of 400) I just wanted to hear the views of others 'currently using' the URSA Mini 4K as I am STILL waiting for mine to arrive (UK).

Have you guys experienced anything of this type under the correct lighting conditions or can we put this down to a slightly inexperienced camera operator?

I stumbled across some reviews over at B&H that also seemed to highlight this issue (check the reviews section): http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1137314-REG/blackmagic_design_cinecamursam40k_ef_ursa_4k_digital_cinema.html

I guess, like most, I want to know what I'm signing up for.

Dan Keeble

Re: URSA Mini 4K - Some slightly worrying reviews

PostMon Feb 08, 2016 10:47 am

ok this video has been discussed to death, worth searching for :D
www.flud.digital

Ronald Huijskens

PostMon Feb 08, 2016 10:53 am

Hey Men,

I also saw the video! I'm glad to say i don't have these problems.

I'm gonna go over his most important issues:

1. The lines issue that sunny speed video has.. Sometimes also appears in my Ursa Mini 4K. When the lines appear the camera is warm and i reboot the camera then the lines are gone. Mostly the lines appear when the camera is cold. SO that's not a problem to me.

2. The noise level ? I've got 3 examples here that i shot at ISO 800. I mainly shoot at ISO 800.. and i have no problems whatsoever. I did shoot at proress proxy in the last 2 vids so you can see some artifacts ( but that's my own fault) Even at ISO 800 the image seems to me to be steady and stable..

password: edelsmid

3. The poor XLR audio is in my opinion not true. I used it for capturing several meetings etc.. and it's fine. Maybe the pre-amp is a little low. But i gain the sound when editing and it's fine using my Rode NTG2.

4. The not for low light reason is a ******** reason.. I shot with the pocket for a year and then upgraded to the ursa mini. The low light capabilities are worse than the pocket with speedbooster. But still it's fine when you understand the situations. It's not an A7s ... So when you want low light just buy a A7s or maybe an FS5 with speedbooster? Something like that would suit you better..

A point that i did find weird: The poor XLR ports. When i use an XLR cable with an hole in the head. It got stuck. Atleast in my XLR port. Now the port is broken and i need to send the camera back for repairs... That's the major minor point for me. When you use a cable with no hole it seems to work good. Don't know why it happens but it really does get jammed in there...

I mostly only shoot with a led and nothing else so you can see in the videos above.. Used an F2.8 lens at ISO 800.

Ryan Best

PostMon Feb 08, 2016 11:26 am

Dan Keeble wrote:ok this video has been discussed to death, worth searching for :D

The post is not so much about the video (I have serious reservations about the validity of the argument) but more about those CURRENTLY USING the URSA Mini 4K and their experiences.

Ronald, thanks for sharing the 'hands on' details above.

rick.lang

PostMon Feb 08, 2016 12:22 pm

Sunnyspeed Studio has another video comparing BMD Film (log) images to the images from a DSLR. Of course the log images look 'bad' compared to the video images of the DLSR. I just can't believe anyone who really understood BMD camera image technology would objectively produce that comparison video. To my mind, there's an agenda motivating these videos that undermines their worth even though individually some of the points made are worth noting. DO NOT BUY seems over the top and just trying to grab your attention like most self-promoting ads on the internet that only purport to have something interesting to say.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Jason R. Johnston

PostMon Feb 08, 2016 2:26 pm

The Sunnyspeed video guy is the same dude from this forum who complained about FPN when it wasn't FPN under crappy lighting conditions. I don't think he knows what he's doing, really. Unrealistic expectations comes from lack of experience. But you can't blame the tech for poor lighting, composition and editing skills.
JASONRJOHNSTON.COM | CINEMATOGRAPHER | DIRECTOR | EDITOR | COLORIST
RED Komodo | DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5 | 2023 MacBook M2 Pro 14

Return to Cinematography