crop factor lenses

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Rene Maduro

crop factor lenses

PostMon Feb 08, 2016 4:36 pm

Hi Guy's

I do have a black magic pocket camera and wanted to buy some lenses for it.

The lenses Veydra mini primes. Do the crop factor of the pocket camera change the lens size?
50 mm lens become 105mm on the pokiest camera ?
or the 50 mm will remain 50 mm on the pocket camera?

Question 2:
Zeiss Milvus 85 mm lens with speedbooster and on the pocket camera
do thistle lens still be 85 mm or the are changes because of the crop factor ?

Can some one please help me out.

Thanks Rene

rick.lang

crop factor lenses

PostTue Feb 09, 2016 12:02 am

René, the focal length of the lens is always the same regardless of the camera or size of the sensor. But the angle of view that you see on the Pocket camera using a given lens is less on the Pocket. The Veydras are a very good manual lens designed specifically for MFT sensors and smaller sensors like the BMCC MFT and BMPCC MFT.

When you hear talk of the crop factor, it's really referring to the image circle of a sensor as compared to the image circle on 135 stills film cameras. Now Veydras don't cover 135 stills film camera frames of course, but if they did and you compared the BMPCC sensor's field of view, you could say that the Pocket had a horizontal crop of 2.88x. So that is going to look something like the coverage of a 144mm lens on 135 film. That makes it a medium telephone on the Pocket.

A 'normal' lens for 135 film is a 50mm focal length, but on the Pocket, 'normal' is more lime a 17mm lens (which is a very wide focal length for a lens mounted on 135 film camera).

If you want a wide lens on the Pocket, you would use the current 12mm Veydra or the 8.5/9mm lens under development.

A long telephoto on the Pocket is the Zeiss Milvus 85mm or better, the 85mm Veydra.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Denny Smith

Re: crop factor lenses

PostTue Feb 09, 2016 3:40 am

I have a 12mm Super Speed (a S16 lens, which is what the Pocket Camera is) which gives a nice wide angle shot, then I have the 16mm Veydra for a "normal" angle,of view lens (similar to a 45-50mm on Full Frame 35mm), and a 35mm Veydra for head shots, and other medium tele shots (a 100mm field of view on a FF), a 29mm would be, closer,to,the standard "85mm FF portrait lens, but this focal length is not available, but for a head shot on the wide side, 25mm works well.

A nice Veydra Mini prime set would include 12mm, 16mm, 25mm and the 35mm lens. I plan to get a 25mm Veydra next. The Veydra lenses work great on the Micro and Pocket cameras, and a lens support is available to lock the lens to the rails when using a follow focus, to prevent lens movement in the MFT mount.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography