The Next BMCC

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Alex Mack

The Next BMCC

PostFri Jan 25, 2013 3:50 pm

Same thing, but:

-No screen, just directional buttons/select
-Very compact, just enough to fit ssd & electronics
-Very lightweight (less material used)
-Hmdi out
-No raw - just prores/dnxhd
-m4/3 only
-$1.5-2K (less material/data pipeline w/out raw)

Would be willing to pay more than 3k for that.

Andrew Hunter

Re: The Next BMCC

PostFri Jan 25, 2013 5:26 pm

Give me the opposite, I want Aaton ergonomics and I'd be more than willing to significantly pay for it.

Alex Mack

PostFri Jan 25, 2013 5:40 pm

Andrew Hunter wrote:Give me the opposite, I want Aaton ergonomics and I'd be more than willing to significantly pay for it.

Well, actually... its funny you should say that. One of the main reasons for the above specs:

http://ergocine.blogspot.com/2012/08/qu ... -lion.html

That is one of the rigs which would be much improved, along with many other new possibilities.
Flexibility. That is the key.

Frank Glencairn

PostFri Jan 25, 2013 6:01 pm

To each his own, but why would I want to add a big chunk of wood to my rig that does nothing but resembling a film mag. Is there at least a battery in there?
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

Alex Mack

PostFri Jan 25, 2013 6:16 pm

Also:

There may be a huge market for this. Consider the dslr masses who want to step up to something better, already have an hdmi screen, tailored rigs, and lenses.

A $999 DNXHD entry level option might have huge profit potential, granted the efficiencies in having the research/production lines already in place from the first BMCC.

The 'Micro BMCC'

Frank Glencairn wrote:To each his own, but why would I want to add a big chunk of wood to my rig that does nothing but resembling a film mag. Is there at least a battery in there?

Yes! There is a battery in there, as well as mounting positions etc.

All the creators did was think back to their favorite ergonomic shooting experience - the Aaton - and try to mimic that exactly. Its the experience of shooting a heavier shoulder mounted 16mm cam - no micro jitters, and a sense of weight to the motion - simply that.

Max Manning

PostFri Jan 25, 2013 7:55 pm

This seems like a step in the completely opposite direction that I would like to see BMD take.
All they need to do is stepped their frame rates up and they have them self a Red competing cinema for under 5 grand?!!?! Cant even imagine over cranked footy coming out of this thing at 12bit Raw :geek:
Max Manning
Action Sports Videographer/Editor
Tempt Media/Media Revere
San Diego, CA

Hundo Hill

PostFri Jan 25, 2013 8:07 pm

I agree, the ONLY thing they are missing are the frame rates! Doesn't even have to be raw, ProRes at 60fps and maybe burst of 120 & 240fps would be nice. Raw or ProRes, 60fps alone would be this the best camera on the market (not that it isn't already!)

Alex Mack

PostFri Jan 25, 2013 8:27 pm

Max M. wrote:This seems like a step in the completely opposite direction that I would like to see BMD take.
All they need to do is stepped their frame rates up and they have them self a Red competing cinema for under 5 grand?!!?! Cant even imagine over cranked footy coming out of this thing at 12bit Raw :geek:

I agree too! And I don't see it as opposing at all - given that BMD has indicated they are trying to add that to the BMCC through a firmware update. If it does require different hardware, then this less costly stripped down BMCC will offer the redesign opportunity to make necessary modifications to the ASIC, to focus on fast sensor readout/buffer instead of heavy data pipeline used for RAW. I'm excited for future higher framerates.

Dustin Uy

PostSat Jan 26, 2013 2:09 am

i looove shooting raw. its like a high class hooker... you pay storage by the hour

Dennis Nomer

PostThu Jan 31, 2013 12:49 am

I agree with Max. This camera has hit the sweet spot in resolution, DR, and price. The only issue is higher frame rates for occasional slo-mo. If they could deliver something like 120 fps, then there is nothing more to ask for, for most of us. (I am assuming ordinary things like audio meters and a histogram display get done). Well, OK, lack of phantom power is a hassle, so that should be in there. It always tweaks me when someone offers 'balanced audio' but no phantom power. What are we supposed to do with that? We buy an external preamp that is done right, that's what. And you also want little knobs for adjusting the audio.

As far as RAW, that is the big advantage, IMO. That is how you really leverage the DR. ProRes is a lot easier, but it sacrifices part of what you are paying for. The idea that you can own a camera that competes with the finest cameras in the world in DR is 'the big new thing' here.

People could say they want internal ND filters, but I can live without that.
Dennis Nomer

Jules Bushell

PostThu Jan 31, 2013 3:51 am

Alex Mack wrote:Same thing, but:
-Very lightweight (less material used)
-Hmdi out
-No raw - just prores/dnxhd

Yes you're right. It could have a phone built in, and then it be effectively a phone camera.

Jules

(Don't mind me, I'm British)
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk

Bernhard

PostThu Jan 31, 2013 8:35 am

Hello,

I'd like to see the opposite/ an additional video cam product line;
Blackmagic Broadcast Camera / Blackmagic Studio Camera / Blackmagic ENG Cam
aimed at videographers and broadcasters; ready-to-shoot without a rig, price < € 7.000.-

It should have:

- same sensor as BMCC

- recording 10bit ProResHQ / DNxHD at 1080p/50/59.95

- electronic MFT mount

- BMD evaluated + re-branded packaged lens, optimized for ENG buisness (autofocus, etc.)
(optional additional lenses, e.g. for Wide or Tele)

- ergonomic+ well balanced shoulder form factor; mechanical buttons; 'lens' grip with zoom wipe on main hull

- V-Mount battery

- 2 to 4 SSD slots (enough space in shoulder form factor)

- 4x XLR audio inputs

- XLR-power; D-Tap power, etc...

- integrated ATEM Camera Converter technology, with tally light/indicator directly on cam / on display

- switchable 3G-HDSDI with 1080p/50/59,95 or 1080i/25/29,97 or 720p/50/59,95

- Timecode I/O

- Genlock

- Full Auto mode for dummies ;-)

Best regards,
Bernhard

Jonas Bengtson

PostThu Jan 31, 2013 1:10 pm

Would rather see the actual BMCC go in the cinematic direction, not the live/eng direction.

Return to Cinematography