Video gamma is a HUGE surprise.

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Larry Sellers

Video gamma is a HUGE surprise.

PostSat Jan 26, 2013 6:37 am

Yesterday I shot some run and gun street interviews for Microsoft. I used my BMC, handheld all day. Our setups were either on the street and overcast or in a cafe with some lighting. I shot Prores in video gamma mode simply because the turnaround for editing was super fast (shot yesterday, due on monday). I expected the footage to be good, but not this good. This camera amazes me. This stuff looks so great. Needs no grading or anything. I'm not sure what the DR loss is in video mode, but it can't be much. A lot of the outside stuff was so fast that we didn't have time even for a bounce. I shot a little dark to preserve highlights, thinking that the image would be graded later. All I can say is neither the on board LCD or my Alphatron EVF do the image justice. Even the "dark" footage looks spectacular.

Kudos to BMD for creating such a fine piece of gear at such an amazing price. Thank you!!!!

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

Re: Video gamma is a HUGE surprise.

PostSat Jan 26, 2013 7:10 am

Good stuff!! :)
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Christian Schmeer

PostSat Jan 26, 2013 9:31 am

Yeah, to be honest the back screen on the BMCC isn't on par with the quality of the rest of the camera. They should have put a bit more effort into it.
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

Darryl Gregory

PostSat Jan 26, 2013 10:18 am

Christian Schmeer wrote:Yeah, to be honest the back screen on the BMCC isn't on par with the quality of the rest of the camera. They should have put a bit more effort into it.

Not effort, but forethought in a non reflective screen, and right side cabling,
since most of us pull focus from the left side... right? :arrow: :roll:

Bill Rich

PostSat Jan 26, 2013 5:10 pm

That's great news!
I have a test shoot scheduled for Tuesday and I was planning on shooting ProRes film log. but now I might go ahead and shoot it VIdeo gamma.
Actually I might shoot both to see if there is a difference in the final image. :)

After that is the raw tests.. Hopefully my iMac is up to the task of Processing the images in Resolve.. if not I might be picking up lightroom.. :)
Bill Rich
PhotoJournalist/Editor/Producer
Los Angeles, California

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSat Jan 26, 2013 5:40 pm

BMCC ProRes Video mode is sweet. I'll probably use it often, for shoots where baking-in the look "on the day" is exactly what the client/project requires.

Here's a crappy frame grab shot through an ancient Nikkor lens, but this image actually makes me happy, for example, compared to what my hacked GH2 would have recorded in the same lighting conditions:
viewtopic.php?p=25133&sid=1ece37f013ef4e7a96b577ac64c56f9f#p25133

Cheers.

Christian Schmeer

PostSat Jan 26, 2013 5:41 pm

Bill Rich wrote:After that is the raw tests.. Hopefully my iMac is up to the task of Processing the images in Resolve.. if not I might be picking up lightroom.. :)

Let us know if it's up to the task, please :) I want to know, as my 15" Retina MacBook Pro doesn't run Resolve in a usable manner...
www.christianschmeer.com

Bill Rich

PostSat Jan 26, 2013 5:48 pm

I installed in on my iMac and it told me that I'm going to have to adjust some of the settings (which I haven't done yet) but I imported some 720p video to play with and it doesn't play back well.. the iMac really struggled with it.. not that I need it to really play back perfectly to debayer and apply a LUT to the raw file.. but after I adjust whatever settings I need to adjust.. I hope it will work ok.. if not at least there are options..
Bill Rich
PhotoJournalist/Editor/Producer
Los Angeles, California

Iain Anderson

PostSun Jan 27, 2013 12:10 am

I have a direct comparison between Film and Video in this lens test Vimeo clip:

The first shot is Film, and the second (and subsequent) shots are all Video. There is a slight loss of detail in the highlights visible with Video, that is, if you correct the Film shot back to the Video, there's a little more detail in the highlights than in the straight Video shot.

Christian Schmeer

PostSun Jan 27, 2013 2:58 am

Iain Anderson wrote:I have a direct comparison between Film and Video in this lens test Vimeo clip:

The first shot is Film, and the second (and subsequent) shots are all Video. There is a slight loss of detail in the highlights visible with Video, that is, if you correct the Film shot back to the Video, there's a little more detail in the highlights than in the straight Video shot.

Which adapter are you using for your M42 mount Takumars? I have several M42 lenses and none of them reach infinity focus with my adapters on the BMCC, but they do on my 5D Mark III.
www.christianschmeer.com

Return to Cinematography