Infra red cut/hot mirror need with BMCC

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Dmitry Kitsov

Infra red cut/hot mirror need with BMCC

PostSat Jan 26, 2013 8:03 pm

I am putting together a kit ahead of the shipment of the camera and curios if I should invest in the NDs or NDs with IR cut.
In the experience of those who already gotten the camera, seeing that the native ISO is 800, which necessitates the use of ND filters when shooting in the bright conditions, do you see any infrared pollution in such a setup?
Thank you.
Dmitry Kitsov

John Brawley

Re: Infra red cut/hot mirror need with BMCC

PostSat Jan 26, 2013 9:50 pm

Hi.

This is a real name forum. You should modify your profile.

Beyond an ND 9 ( 3 stops ) you'll see IR contamination with the BMCC.

JB.
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Dmitry Kitsov

PostSat Jan 26, 2013 10:40 pm

Thank you. Not sure what do you mean by real name. The only requirement when registering was between 3 and 30 characters for user name. Anyway is my real name. An initial and my last name.
Dmitry Kitsov

Margus Voll

PostSun Jan 27, 2013 12:13 am

I think first and last name spelled out is what most of us consider full name.
Margus Voll, CSI

http://www.iconstudios.eu
margus (at) iconstudios.eu
IG: margusvoll

Thomas Schumacher

PostSun Jan 27, 2013 10:20 pm

My goodness, here's the brain police. What is this all about with real names?
https://www.gernemehrfilm.de/

John Brawley

PostSun Jan 27, 2013 10:22 pm

gmf wrote:My goodness, here's the brain police. What is this all about with real names?

No biggie.

But this is a real name forum...It's a condition of signing up....

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2842

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Christopher Barry

PostMon Jan 28, 2013 3:39 am

Tiffen IR ND 2.1 (filters range from ND 0.3 and up) appears to cut more magenta, which works well with the BMCC, compared to some of the other filter brands, and the Tiffen may be more cost effective for some users, compared to, say, the Formatt, which is also very good IR cut match for the BMCC and many other cameras. As a side note, I am not sure if the BMCC not having an OLPF allows more potential IR contamination, or if IR relates to this particular sensor design. Personally, I am glad there is no OLPF, other than potential moire issues that can not being controlled or detected when shooting in some instances. You may have seen some 5D users, even a Red user, have removed the OLPF to reap other benefits, which I think is part of what makes the BMCC footage so remarkable.

I am probably OT now, so in ending, may I ask you, John Brawley, with your extensive use of the BMCC in a production environment, what IR filter do you use, or found to be a good match for the BMCC? And if not too OT, what is your preference with regard to having, or not having, an OLPF on the BMCC? Thanks.

John Brawley

PostMon Jan 28, 2013 3:44 am

Christopher Barry wrote:

Tiffen IR ND 2.1 (filters range from ND 0.3 and up) appears to cut more magenta, which works well with the BMCC, compared to some of the other filter brands, and the Tiffen may be more cost effective for some users, compared to, say, the Formatt, which is also very good IR cut match for the BMCC and many other cameras. As a side note, I am not sure if the BMCC not having an OLPF allows more potential IR contamination, or if IR relates to this particular sensor design. Personally, I am glad there is no OLPF, other than potential moire issues that can not being controlled or detected when shooting in some instances. You may have seen some 5D users, even a Red user, have removed the OLPF to reap other benefits, which I think is part of what makes the BMCC footage so remarkable.

I am probably OT now, so in ending, may I ask you, John Brawley, with your extensive use of the BMCC in a production environment, what IR filter do you use, or found to be a good match for the BMCC? And if not too OT, what is your preference with regard to having, or not having, an OLPF on the BMCC? Thanks.

It is getting a little OT i guess, but..

Mainly I've been mainly using the Tiffen T1's, their IR nd filter. They work well, but all IRND's seem to add a bit of green to the image. it's almost like you're trading one issue for another.

I don't think the presence or absence of the OLPF factors on IR contamination al all.

And I think the reason the pictures from this camera looks so good is because it has some very good colour science behind it combined with a large dynamic range that isn't squished into a lower bit depth and compressed codec....

Although you can sometime see moire there, I've never found it to be a major issue and its dramatically less than on other dSLRs....

If they get around to doing higher resolution sensors it will be interesting to see where it goes...

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Christopher Barry

PostMon Jan 28, 2013 3:56 am

John, thank you for your reply and explanation. The potential number of filters stacked may become problematic for me with wider lenses, so I may look to add some combined ND and IR filters as an option for the kit. Thanks again.

Return to Cinematography