NAB wish list. Bring it on.

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Wayne Steven

PostSun Mar 06, 2016 12:41 pm

Let's see, a Red POV camera with cinema level recording, a Red recording display. A Red sub $5k 4k ready camera system with almost Dragon level sensor. An oled viewfindinder, cheap shoulder mount... Oh wait, that's BMD, last year, or this, depending on how long you are waiting.

Now, my BMD wish list , a $1000 4kp50 ursa mini 4.6k level micro camera, like the full hd, version, with recording and able to be hooked up to a $500 4kp50 recording screen, and a gimbal. A $1000 pocket instead. $1200 off mini ursa 4k, $1700 off the 4.6k. 4k to be similar to 4.6k in performance. Both cameras with prosumer/eng operation modes through mostly firmware upgrade. This year.
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Wayne Steven

Re: NAB wish list. Bring it on.

PostSun Mar 06, 2016 3:01 pm

Lol! It's late I thought for a moment you were saying avoiding what they announced in 2015.

The range is in the ball park except 4k pocket/micro is needed and cheaper/better (4k) mini (8k is not strictly needed). Let's hope for upgrades and price reductions.
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Bill Underhill

PostSun Mar 06, 2016 4:27 pm

Wayne Steven wrote:Let's see, a Red POV camera with cinema level recording, a Red recording display. A Red sub $5k 4k ready camera system with almost Dragon level sensor. An oled viewfindinder, cheap shoulder mount... Oh wait, that's BMD, last year, or this, depending on how long you are waiting.

Now, my BMD wish list , a $1000 4kp50 ursa mini 4.6k level micro camera, like the full hd, version, with recording and able to be hooked up to a $500 4kp50 recording screen, and a gimbal. A $1000 pocket instead. $1200 off mini ursa 4k, $1700 off the 4.6k. 4k to be similar to 4.6k in performance. Both cameras with prosumer/eng operation modes through mostly firmware upgrade. This year.

So, you're primarily not looking for tools for your art, or leading innovation. Really, you're looking for Blue Light Specials.

rick.lang

PostSun Mar 06, 2016 7:02 pm

If I end up buying the Mini 4.6K PL before NAB 2016, then I sincerely hope they announce a Mini 8K with liquid cooling and 16 stops dynamic range with global shutter to 120 fps windowed and 60 fps open gate for a price of $12,000. That way I won't feel badly about having just purchased the 4.6K at all! Reason: I won't have a use for that newer camera. Getting into 4K+ at $5,495 is enough, 8K at $12,000 is truly a professional camera.

Seriously, nothing wrong with a blue light special. At NAB 2015, Grant Petty did clearly say they would look into bundled prices in the future. Of course the most obvious bundle is exactly what I'm buying just before NAB 2016 if all goes well: URSA Mini 4.6K PL, BMVF, Mini Shoulder Mount, B4 mount, shims. If they bundle this, the shims and B4 mount may be 'free' or they may offer something like a NAB 2016 limited time discount of 10% of the bundle!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by rick.lang on Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Lang

Jay Soriano

PostSun Mar 06, 2016 7:08 pm

I truly hope there are no new BMD camera announcements other than last years cameras shipping(if not already before NAB) an updated Pocket Cinema Camera or a discontinued Pocket Cinema Camera, dropping the remaining inventory down to $495 again. Surprise announcements of unannounced features would be nice for the delayed cameras. Quite honestly these 4.6K Ursa camera specs can be the last camera I can ever own(at least for 10 years). It's just ridiculous the price and performance of these cinema cameras going way beyond what I could've imagined 5-10 years ago. PL 4.6K version for me just for the option of the B4 mount. The only thing that would be a bonus for myself is built in ND filters for ENG run n gun fast paced situations. With these prices, just get some kick azz glass such as the Cinealtas or rent some Cooke's. These cameras are near perfect for me. Exciting times yet humbled by this technology enabling independents to go out and create without sacrificing quality.
2015 15" Macbook Pro 2.5 GHz i7
macOS Mojave 10.14.6
AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB
16GB RAM
FCPX/DaVinci Resolve Studio
Akitio Thunder2 Quad Mini
Envoy Pro EX

PaulDelVecchio

PostSun Mar 06, 2016 7:57 pm

I'm hoping to see more variants of the 4.6k. Maybe a BMCC sized camera with the 4.6K sensor or a variant of that. Maybe another pocket with a 4.6k sensor. That would be cool.

Let's face it. We'll probably see new cameras and they'll have a July release date. That's just how it's always been. It's fine. Just don't make business decisions around it.

I def would love to see the 4.6k sensor or a variant inside a smaller body. I don't care if it's limited to 24fps or 30 fps. Anything above that I'll use my big Ursa.
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSun Mar 06, 2016 8:38 pm

I'd like to see Blackmagic ship a new "universal mount" version of their OLED Viewfinder, e.g.: not specific to the Ursa. (Similar to the Wooden Camera mod for the Ursa VF.) With both HD-SDI and HDMI inputs. Maybe with a built-in battery plate, like on the Micro cameras, in addition to the ext. power connector.

A 4K recording version of the Video Assist would be cool. And add Ultrascope-like features to the existing VA and a new 4K version. I'd guess a 4K version VA would use CFast 2.0 instead of SD cards?

-

Denny Smith

PostSun Mar 06, 2016 9:18 pm

The issue with a 4K VA or a 4K pocket camera, is the SD card ESata interface is not fast enough to record the faster/larger data rares of UHD or 4K data to a SD card. You would need either a CFast or MSata interface SSD device like the Speed Drive used by Video Devices Pix E, both of whoch are much larger than a SD card, so a small formfactor like rhe Pocket or Micro is not going to support a larger drive system. The Micro could control sensor heat with its imporved active cooling system, but no thr passive dooling on the Pocket. DSLRs get away with recording 4K by compressing the signal down to the level a SD card can handle the data, but not in ProRes 4.2.2 HQ.

The Univ. EVF is a great idea, I would also like to see that.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Clayton Von Isaacs

PostSun Mar 06, 2016 10:49 pm

Video Assist that is a little larger with LUT support. More post specific products to use DaVinci like a jog shuttle now that it is an editor.
Last edited by Clayton Von Isaacs on Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clayton Von Isaacs
daydreamersproductions.com

Csaba Nagy

PostMon Mar 07, 2016 5:23 am

4.6K in a BMCC sized form factor :D $2995

Also is it just me or wouldn't it be awesome to have a proper BMD still's camera? BMD color and DR is just great.
Csaba Nagy
Filmmaker
BMPCC4K

Gene Kochanowsky

PostMon Mar 07, 2016 5:36 am

All BM cameras shoot stills in RAW mode.

Csaba Nagy

PostMon Mar 07, 2016 5:51 am

Gene Kochanowsky wrote:All BM cameras shoot stills in RAW mode.

There's no question about that. I just mean a camera designed more as a still / photography camera.
I do a ton of astrophotography / timelapse and would really benefit from longer exposure times, things you would be able to do with a DSLR / MILC.
Stills and photography is not really BM's area or interest I recognize that, so not likely. One can wish however... :lol:
Csaba Nagy
Filmmaker
BMPCC4K

Gene Kochanowsky

PostMon Mar 07, 2016 7:11 am

Csaba, have you considered other cameras more suited to astrophotography? BM makes cinematographic cameras, cameras intended for use with controlled lighting.

Csaba Nagy

PostMon Mar 07, 2016 8:01 am

Gene Kochanowsky wrote:Csaba, have you considered other cameras more suited to astrophotography? BM makes cinematographic cameras, cameras intended for use with controlled lighting.

Absolutely have, sort of bad example to reason the intention of BM photography / stills camera.

The point I was attempting to get at was that I've grown to love the DR & look BM has developed with the sensors they are using.

Of course one can find a way to use the URSA MINI 4.6k for photography, but who are we kidding, its not very desirable for general photography. Its a Cinema Camera. I'm talking about a camera with a shutter button, not a record button If you catch my drift.

I would simply love a 4.6K like sensor in my DSLR / MILC whatever shooting style it entails whether it be landscape, portraits, etc.. I personally would take the resolution hit, for the better Color Science / DR.

Canon's too slow, their sensors DR is lacking on the stills side. I would greatly encourage BM to explore an area like this.

I guess I'm sort of echoing BM's original vision of the Cinema Camera as a solution to DSLR video.

Although this could just be me :lol:
Csaba Nagy
Filmmaker
BMPCC4K

Gene Kochanowsky

PostMon Mar 07, 2016 8:16 am

Have you looked at Sony? The a6300 is supposed to have 14 stops.

Joshua Dredge

PostMon Mar 07, 2016 8:36 am

I hope something new and exciting I can't predict is released.

There are a few monitors I'm looking forward to from EIZO.

From BMD, I'd like to see some laser focus. When they announced "38 new SKUs" last year, I couldn't believe anyone would do that. So I would like to see them focus on delivering those products, and delivering incremental updates and firmware upgrades to existing products.

If I have to think of a product that would be nice to see - I think a gap in their range is a portable 4K recorder - whether that be a new variant of a Video Assist or Hyperdeck Shuttle or something new. Though I just bought a Shogun.

I also think they would also be the company that's best positioned to bring a super slow motion camera to the mass market, though I hope/don't think this is the year for it.

Howard L Hughes

PostMon Mar 07, 2016 2:26 pm

I would love a BMCC with the ability to record 2.5k in prores. Thats all. I have purchased audio gear and am very happy with the image. just don't want to work in raw so much till i upgrade my Server/Hardrive situation. I shoot a lot of stuff that goes straight to youtube so i'm not pressed for the 15 stops yet. It just doesn't make financial sense yet.

Howard L Hughes

PostMon Mar 07, 2016 2:28 pm

Maybe something with auto-focus. Sometimes i'm a one man crew + host of show. would like to set up a 3 camera shoot with some type of smooth auto focus if possible.

Wayne Steven

PostMon Mar 07, 2016 3:45 pm

Good old Howard.

When can we expect a sequel to the Aviator? (You must have heard that one before) :)

Pretty cool name to have in the movie business. The aviator is one of my favorite films because I design things too, so can relate to some of the mind set (though Kathryn Hepburn would not be my first taste in women). I hope your film career turn out just as good as his Howard.

Wayne Steven

PostMon Mar 07, 2016 3:47 pm

Bill Underhill wrote:
Wayne Steven wrote:Let's see, a Red POV camera with cinema level recording, a Red recording display. A Red sub $5k 4k ready camera system with almost Dragon level sensor. An oled viewfindinder, cheap shoulder mount... Oh wait, that's BMD, last year, or this, depending on how long you are waiting.

So, you're primarily not looking for tools for your art, or leading innovation. Really, you're looking for Blue Light Specials.

Just business logic and value. But when you spend $10M inna sensor and have such a range of cameras, the money has to be made somewhere. Probably why the pocket is not $495.

Howard L Hughes

PostMon Mar 07, 2016 4:29 pm

Wayne Steven wrote:Good old Howard.

When can we expect a sequel to the Aviator? (You must have heard that one before) :)

Pretty cool name to have in the movie business. The aviator is one of my favorite films because I design things too, so can relate to some of the mind set (though Kathryn Hepburn would not be my first taste in women). I hope your film career turn out just as good as his Howard.

LMAO yes I get that sometimes. I use my full name minus my last name professionally. It makes people think for a moment and they never forget it. Its an old family name. Thank you and I wish you the same success.

John Greene

PostTue Mar 08, 2016 1:01 am

Blackmagic Design URSA Mini 4.6K EF

New Price Cut.
Old Price $4,995.00,
New Price $3,995.00

that would be the best News from NAB
Junior

Csaba Nagy

PostTue Mar 08, 2016 2:08 am

John Greene wrote:Blackmagic Design URSA Mini 4.6K EF

New Price Cut.
Old Price $4,995.00,
New Price $3,995.00

++++1
Csaba Nagy
Filmmaker
BMPCC4K

Michael Odhiambo

PostTue Mar 08, 2016 8:02 am

How about a survey on the forum from BMC owners? Log into the survey with your serial number and put in feature requests - verifies your a actual owner. The survey could be a direct reflection of what BMC owners want...as opposed to the valued and great opinion from a few DP's (Don't shoot me just yet)

The issue is BMD talk to seasoned DP's who want feature sets that don't necessarily make sense to less experienced DP's. Like no HDMI on the OLED VF. Fine, its exclusive to BMCs, but what if I want to use it on my A7s when it is a B Cam with my BMC? Oh wait, they sell a product to allow this to happen. :shock: See my point?

We also buy BMD products and use them and we get paid too- not as much as the vets, but we make by. So, for us newbies, we might need some features (Not prosumer level) but will help us shoot better. Ask me, I have a list already.

Michael Odhiambo

PostTue Mar 08, 2016 8:05 am

New Price Cut.
Old Price $4,995.00,
New Price $3,995.00

They did that last couple of times, so we are hoping they do. IF the UrsaMini 4k goes to 1995, 4.6UM 3995, I will cry. Because I will sell some gear to get both.

Wayne Steven

PostTue Mar 08, 2016 9:27 am

I would want to buy a 4k for $1995, if only the sensor was more like the 4.6k in performance. I know professionally the extra .6k is useful in debayering (and in reducing the appearance of alaising) but otherwise it is just funny for me. The lack of anti alaising filter is the worst thing. If only the sensor pad was closer to 100% fill factor a light small border low pass filter would be good.

New Price Cut.
Old Price $4,995.00,
New Price $3,995.00

I forgot something, important, very important. At these prices the camera should come as a complete package, with optional detachable lens mounts (like EF) replacing separate models the shoulder mount, battery charger, battery, screen and a viewfinder. When manufactured for each camera a higher volume is achieved which results in a lower cost to manufacture So a number of extras can be supplied at $200 cost. Very good marketing strategy. I do not care if another low cost viewfinder iis included instead of the high end oled one.

Michael, don't forget most people are not BMD camera owners, and owners are not truely representative of everybody else. So it should includes those that want to buy. BMD needs to tap more into the producer/eng market, and include light versions of those feature sets for now. I'm unhappy to buy a hvx200 or GH4, just not good enough. Maybe when they do an 8k version they might get descent 4k in low end cameras, like they did with full HD in the gh4. Interesting that they did not do a gh5 last year, I wonder what might be in nab.

Norbert von der Heidt

PostTue Mar 08, 2016 9:29 am

rick.lang wrote:Of course the most obvious bungle is exactly what I'm buying just before NAB 2016 if all goes well: URSA Mini 4.6K PL, BMVF, Mini Shoulder Mount, B4 mount, shims.

Rick, is that a Freudian slip or what .......? :lol:
Norbert von der Heidt

ELECTRIC IMAGES
www.electricimages.com.au

rick.lang

PostTue Mar 08, 2016 7:22 pm

Thank you for catching that! "Bungle" now corrected to "bundle" in my earlier post. Probably that was my auto-correct feature kicking in and I didn't notice it. Kinda a perfect slip though as I might feel I bungled things by buying those items just before BMD offers a price discount on the most likely bundle to launch sales that will appeal to a wider market: PL S35 plus ENG shooters.

I do think there is a place for shooting in a HD window, but I'm hoping that the BMB4 1.1x optical adapter somehow covers the 2K window if I'm using the Fujinon HA18x7.6BERM servo zoom I'm hoping to buy shortly so that I can shoot raw in the 2K window. If not I'll be using ProRes HD which is not a really bad thing of course. I don't know the normal image circle of that B4 lens, but, please, let it be over 11mm.

Rick Lang

Blaine Russom

PostTue Mar 08, 2016 11:52 pm

4.6K ...in a pocket... :) Same form factor please...

Blaine Russom

PostWed Mar 09, 2016 12:04 am

On second thought..

Hardware----

if we can really stretch it here.. I would love to have some built-in image stabilization on the sensor similar to Sony..

If there can be some kind of built-in color temperature meter (even a basic one) that would also help a lot.

Software----

Of course, I would still love to see some dead pixel compensation built into the software and released on all cameras.. that would be less work in post. I know not all can be captured, but at least if it can get the big eye sores, that would be great.

I would love to see some built-in skin smoothing that can be activated via the menu. JVC110u had what's called a "skin-area" switch, that worked wonderfully when working on interviews.

False color..

Wayne Steven

PostWed Mar 09, 2016 5:22 am

Even my phone has skin smoothimg, but I can't turn the thing off (at least my profile looks 10 years younger, or somebody who has had to much plastic surgery :) ).

John Brawley

PostWed Mar 09, 2016 7:43 am

Blaine Russom wrote:Of course, I would still love to see some dead pixel compensation built into the software and released on all cameras.. that would be less work in post. I know not all can be captured, but at least if it can get the big eye sores, that would be great.

It does have this right now every time you turn the camera on. If you have major problems with dead pixels then you should maybe consider an RMA.

Blaine Russom wrote:I would love to see some built-in skin smoothing that can be activated via the menu. JVC110u had what's called a "skin-area" switch, that worked wonderfully when working on interviews.

This is a very "video" or "broadcast TV" function that a lot of cameras have.

What it basically does is turn the DETAIL and CORING circuitry down at a level you set (lets's say 70%)

So at 70% level, it turns the details / coring down to a lesser level, assuming that's skin at that level. Again a very TV studio high key consistent lighting levels logic.

The thing is, with a RAW camera you start off with minimal sharpening and you can even turn it to off in the DNG tab in Resolve. So you could ADD detail sharpening in overall and then do a key and try to soften if off in skin tones to re-create this effect. IN other words, turn the sharpening UP on the rest of your image while excluding skin tones to replicate turning the sharpening DOWN in skin tones which is what the older cameras did.

To have this feature, you'd have to add a lot more sharpening to your image to then turn it down for skin tone...make sense ?

I always think less processing and sharpening in post makes the image look more filmic myself.

Blaine Russom wrote:False color..

Already present when using the EVF, no doubt soon to arrive in a firmware update near you....

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Wayne Steven

PostWed Mar 09, 2016 9:08 am

Most of the market relies on less work for lower cost. That is why most of the market works with video rather than cinema cameras. I think it is a great idea.

Steven Abrams

PostWed Mar 09, 2016 10:33 am

Wayne Steven wrote:Most of the market relies on less work for lower cost. That is why most of the market works with video rather than cinema cameras. I think it is a great idea.

Serious question, why don't you get a video camera then? Blackmagic makes primarily cinema cameras, if you want a video camera, there are plenty of options but Blackmagic isn't one of them. Why do you want a Blackmagic camera but then say you want a video camera? It's weird.

To the rest of this topic, I think Blackmagic has also spoiled a lot of people to BM's own detriment. They sell this stuff for rock bottom prices (I've been told about their margins from someone I trust too and it is so low I doubt the camera part of their business makes the most money for them, I would guess it makes the least) but it's still not cheap enough for some. If it were so easy to make this stuff cheaper, why is there NO ONE else even offering the same thing at the same price? Every other product offering RAW and ProRes is more expensive.

Wayne Steven

PostWed Mar 09, 2016 12:33 pm

Serious question, how do you use a rubbish $1000 uhd camera for cinema, even most of the $5k ones. This is about marketing. It is not about being stuck in small markets. BMD is primarily a video company, and the camera is half what is needed. Funny, how, unweird, it all is.

You largely don't know much about this stuff.

They are no where near rock bottom prices, maybe for them the way they make them. Even the $495 deal on the pocket was not, it is a matter of how they choose to make it. The present way is an expensive way, the cheap way means $200 cameras. If every video camera included cinema functionality, then the sheer sales volume would make cinema functionality closer to the cost of video, a little more, but the functionality overlaps.

There is not much real cost difference between video and cinema, just a few key elements are left out in video and you have to have a recording interface Consumer cameras often use parts a lot more capable than what is brought out. Even the Nikon J1 used a video capable 4k sensor of reasonable quality.

Marketing is BS in the industry meant for the gullible, so they can sell cheaply made products at greater margins. The many year delay in going UHD, even fullhd, enabled this profit expansion. But this has left the industry very vulnerable to real competitors.

Even very cheap camera chipsets had the capability of pulling larger than 4k raw video off sensors for years, downscaling and debayering it, presenting it to a proper interface (like USB 3, or HDMI) would make it recordable. Now, in reality for a cinema application you would want multi sata in raid, but shortly even a USB 3 stick would do with the more reliable flash replacement coming, but then there is the matter of storage size.. Now, the issue is compression.

The circuites in those $69 fullhd video cameras are very complex, but not manufactured for cinema but could have been. However, ARM chipsets are reprogrammable and cheap commodities. Some should be very programmable for 4k cinema compression, even 8k. You sacrifice a fair bit of battery life, but better than fpga. The reason for FPGA, is because of the relatively low production runs makes it cheaper to design it this way than a custom chip, but the industry is tied up, but if you can access the existing Arm chipset market for the right chip, they are already cost reduced by millions chip sales, I'm reality billions of sales in the design background.

Just realise I'm not saying that 4k or 8k is doable at $200 yet, but I usually understate.

It's true that cinema level compression can be an issue, but compression is not strictly needed. Going 4k uncompressed will not present such an issue soon either

I have been waiting for some company to get real about these things. Red hadn't, now it is time to see how much market share BM wants. Remember, those that support both video and cinema feature sets can sell into either market as a quality product that does both, for notuch more cost. Are you dreaming of a less prosperous future for them and us all Steven?

Robert Niessner

PostWed Mar 09, 2016 12:59 pm

I really doubt that BMD could afford a price reduction on the 4.6k Minis. They have stated that they invested around 10 Millions into the development of the customized sensor. I'd guesstimate that the production of the 4.6k EF costs around 1,200 to 1,800 per camera after production has been ramped up.
Guessing a team of 30 engineers, developers, and alpha testers to be paid for at least two years, that's another 4 Millions. Add the cost for the workplaces, tools and hardware and other additional fixed costs. Marketing. Support. Service under guarantee. Shipping. And much more. Maybe another 4m.
Let's assume there is a market for 10,000 4.6k Minis:

Total costs of those would be around 20 Millions. Sold for 4,000 per camera makes them 40 millions turnover. Subtract the vendors margin of let's say 800 per unit gets you a profit before taxes of 40-20-8 = 12 Millions. Then comes the taxes, cost for continued development of the firmware, investment into future products. Service and support team. Maybe a team bonus for all. And of course the management.
And this is more of a best case scenario if 10,000 cameras can be sold. If only 5,000 can be sold, profit goes down considerably because of the same high fixed costs divided onto less units.

No, I don't think we will see a huge price drop anytime soon. Maybe in two years after release.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Blaine Russom

PostWed Mar 09, 2016 8:58 pm

John Brawley wrote:
Blaine Russom wrote:Of course, I would still love to see some dead pixel compensation built into the software and released on all cameras.. that would be less work in post. I know not all can be captured, but at least if it can get the big eye sores, that would be great.

It does have this right now every time you turn the camera on. If you have major problems with dead pixels then you should maybe consider an RMA.

I didn't realise they added that in? Which firmware did they implement it? I'm running v2.1

John Brawley wrote:
Blaine Russom wrote:I would love to see some built-in skin smoothing that can be activated via the menu. JVC110u had what's called a "skin-area" switch, that worked wonderfully when working on interviews.

This is a very "video" or "broadcast TV" function that a lot of cameras have.

What it basically does is turn the DETAIL and CORING circuitry down at a level you set (lets's say 70%)

So at 70% level, it turns the details / coring down to a lesser level, assuming that's skin at that level. Again a very TV studio high key consistent lighting levels logic.

The thing is, with a RAW camera you start off with minimal sharpening and you can even turn it to off in the DNG tab in Resolve. So you could ADD detail sharpening in overall and then do a key and try to soften if off in skin tones to re-create this effect. IN other words, turn the sharpening UP on the rest of your image while excluding skin tones to replicate turning the sharpening DOWN in skin tones which is what the older cameras did.

To have this feature, you'd have to add a lot more sharpening to your image to then turn it down for skin tone...make sense ?

I always think less processing and sharpening in post makes the image look more filmic myself.
[/qoute]

True, it's not a filmic way of doing things, however I wanted it as a time saver when not really concerned for the best look in some situations. I always thought that the cameras selected a color range and blurred it as we would do in post, that was my understanding.

Steven Abrams

PostWed Mar 09, 2016 9:14 pm

Wayne Steven wrote:You largely don't know much about this stuff.

How would you know? Everything you're saying leads me to believe you have NO experience with mass manufacturing products, where I do. Robert broke it down reasonably well for someone with no inside knowledge, just using common sense. You seem to have none.

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Mar 09, 2016 11:13 pm

Keep it friendly and on topic or warnings/bans will go out. This is not something we will tolerate here.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

John Palaganas

PostThu Mar 10, 2016 12:05 am

URSA Mini II 6K.....for March 2017 :cry:

Wayne Steven

PostThu Mar 10, 2016 4:25 am

Robert Niessner wrote:I really doubt that BMD could afford a price reduction on the 4.6k Minis. They have stated that they invested around 10 Millions into the development of the customized sensor. I'd guesstimate that the production of the 4.6k EF costs around 1,200 to 1,800 per camera after production has been ramped up.
Guessing a team of 30 engineers, developers, and alpha testers to be paid for at least two years, that's another 4 Millions. Add the cost for the workplaces, tools and hardware and other additional fixed costs. Marketing. Support. Service under guarantee. Shipping. And much more. Maybe another 4m.
Let's assume there is a market for 10,000 4.6k Minis:

Total costs of those would be around 20 Millions. Sold for 4,000 per camera makes them 40 millions turnover. Subtract the vendors margin of let's say 800 per unit gets you a profit before taxes of 40-20-8 = 12 Millions. Then comes the taxes, cost for continued development of the firmware, investment into future products. Service and support team. Maybe a team bonus for all. And of course the management.
And this is more of a best case scenario if 10,000 cameras can be sold. If only 5,000 can be sold, profit goes down considerably because of the same high fixed costs divided onto less units.

No, I don't think we will see a huge price drop anytime soon. Maybe in two years after release.

Turns out it looks like delays are fab delays, so it could be millions. So I doubt that there will be a price drop much. The price drop is to do with keeping ahead, selling more, and starving the undercutting competition. A happy BMD owner is likely to result in more sales. It keeps competition at bay, something Red turned there backs on and allowed BMD to come in easily. Red etc, are doing what they should have done years ago. But I expect them to again slash their prices in half as more things are paid off...

Now sales. Frankly they should be doing 100k sakes, not 10k, if they had the right product that could displace sales of most pro video cameras, and high end digital stills. This needs a realistic look at operational use and workflows accriss the video and still sectors. A getting real on multiple sensor acquisition that gives dslr like results in full light, and liuid lens technology. Something it looks like the cinrma only sector is not up with. 10k probably follows my prediction of 12 years ago for a camera like this relative to complete package pricing in a market like this. 100k requires more. But maybe I am wrong, maybe the camera is much more capable than people have been telling me.

Now, wouldn't you agree that all the years of design experience built up (and previous design reused in the camera) has reduced the money and time needed to design this camera?

I imagine the 10 million might include a series of related sensors (sensors of different size using the same sensor pixel pad size can be much the same, even adjusting the size still uses related design rules) or maybe some sensors. So the price might ir might not be related entirely to this camera. By designing a consumer camera with pro features though you can achieve 100k- millions of sales. Maybe what gopro should look at. Ruggedized handheld pro mountable cameras.

Now, I made a mistake in a recent post somewhere. The fab can be involved in problems with a sensor more directly. I forgot that part of the design is the materials formulation of the fab process. In normal generuc chip design this is not such a problem designing under the wirked out rules for the process that have safety margins built in. But in sensor development it is about changing the process to achieve extra performance, not just how you design with it. Then again pushing the boundaries you dip below the safety margines too. So there is another thing. With generic sensor design you can skip all this, reconfigure what has been done before, and come out with a custom version. But if you have to reformulate that is potentially a lot more work at fab level.

Re-edit: Ahh, I forgot to put in about lossleaders. Companies will sometimes sell at a loss to maintain or gain market share. But at this stage again, with the apparent refabing, I hold much much less hope for a price reduction. Maybe next year more video functionality.
Last edited by Wayne Steven on Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

Wayne Steven

PostThu Mar 10, 2016 4:40 am

Tony Rivera wrote:Keep it friendly and on topic or warnings/bans will go out. This is not something we will tolerate here.

Thank you.

Robert's reply was reasonable, so we are in a reasonable discussion. No "seriously" about it.

We are still on topic, about what can be done at NAB, the reasonableness of wishes.

Funny thing is that I always have more experience than people that say I don't. And I do. Been around people in industries of millions to trillions of devices Everything is different as you go up the scales. Low volume niche engineers are the only ones I ever have issues with. Like the saying about doctors. I wasn't planning my own hundreds of millions unit products company for nothing. Also, I don't just happen to write in similar style feature articles in major industry electronic engineering journals (just coincidental, but used to read that stuff for research), because I don't have the mind for it. As many of my engineering friends will atest.

Now, BMD has the chance for 10x sales. To be in the wider camera market, what they are in the equipment market.

Dan Keeble

PostThu Mar 10, 2016 1:13 pm

John Brawley wrote:
Already present when using the EVF, no doubt soon to arrive in a firmware update near you....

JB

on both URSA mini 4.6K and 4K ?! :o
www.flud.digital

Gene Kochanowsky

PostThu Mar 10, 2016 2:37 pm

A pocket II that shoots 4K from over sampled 6K image, with iso 52,000, 120 fps in HD, very fast continuous focus (the fastest), built in Wifi, can shoot stills at up to 11 fps, tilting LCD monitor, 14 stops of dynamic range and the same price as the pocket I.

I just ordered mine, will ship today. It's the Sony a6300.

Nicklas Gustafsson

PostThu Mar 10, 2016 3:06 pm

My dream product for BM to present at NAB 2016 would be a proper ND solution in the form of a "between lens and sensor" adapter like the Vizelex or the new Kipon, preserving all functionallity of the lens as well as sort out any back focus issue. This would make the ursa mini closer to a real run and gun solution. And it would not actually be an adapter since I want it to be Canon to Canon or PL to PL.

Since I do docu style stuff that most of the time only happen once I would love to limit extra fiddling with gear like matte boxes and front of lens ND:s. More shooting...less rigging. Thats how it usually looks when I work

the Kipon or the Vizelex are aprox what I'm looking for here, but with no real conversion being done.

The first time the ursa mini was revealed there was also said that it would have a 3d gyro sensor like in all the iphones and androids. This is really interesting when it comes to using that data for improving stabilization. Would like that to be on track again.

I want a 3:rd party manufacturer to make megasuperslim and light v-loc plates and batteries. I don't care if they just last 75 minutes. I would take 3 of those and have 2 in the backpack any day. Anything to save some weight.

I would love for Sigma to understand that they should make cine-lenses out of their art series like rokinon.
A slightly adapted sigma 16-35 with hardstops that sigma makes themselves. I would pay for that. mosdef.
Last edited by Nicklas Gustafsson on Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ollie Treadwell

PostThu Mar 10, 2016 4:43 pm

I was just about to right my wish list and basically typed out the specs of the 4.6k. What a scary time it is when a man runs out of things to ask for.
When creativity meets technology

Wayne Steven

PostWed Mar 23, 2016 1:55 pm

Ollie Treadwell wrote:I was just about to right my wish list and basically typed out the specs of the 4.6k. What a scary time it is when a man runs out of things to ask for.

Make some content.

Howard L Hughes

PostWed Mar 23, 2016 4:20 pm

I love BMD products and would like to buy 2 more pocket cams. For my needs i do mostly vlog videos with interviews and love the quality of BMD cameras. I would love a Pocket size camera that has Auto focus capabiltiies. This isn't a big need but when vlogging you do need something that will focus on you especially if its a one man band type of situation. Audio needs are not a concerns since i have been using my tascam DR-70d( i love by the way) oh and SDI on all cameras going forward. :D

Mike Faber

PostWed Mar 23, 2016 6:05 pm

What you don't want is an announcement of a new camera that makes you regret buying a 4.6k. It seems BMD does this every year. I hope the 4.6k can stand on it's own two feet and make a mark. BMD really needs a breakthrough camera and I'm hoping this is it.

Matt White

PostWed Mar 23, 2016 7:35 pm

I have been shooting with the 4.6k Ef a bit now. Its great. However, it is not stealthy. I can see how it will be excellent for most of my shooting, but when I need to go out in the crowds and especially in areas that are not very safe, I need something less noticeable. I have a pocket camera, but there are so many compromises when using it in this way, especially the screen. So: my next BM dream: a version 2 pocket that works somewhat like my beloved Fujifilm x100T! A BMPCC with a hybrid viewfinder (or even just optical) and 35mm FoV..... I could so so much with that. :mrgreen:
Next

Return to Cinematography