Music Video shot on BMCC

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Larry Sellers

Music Video shot on BMCC

PostMon Jan 28, 2013 3:03 pm

I just recently got my camera and set out to do some tests. So I called this director that I work with to see if we could round up some actors or something. He told me he had these artists that wanted a video. So he called them and 3 hours later we shot this video. The whole thing was conceptualized on the spot and shot in a total of around 6 hours. Normally we have proper pre-pro, a full crew, etc. This one was total run and gun and we just got lucky.

Crew consisted of me and the director. We had a flex fill but other than that it was available light for the daytime stuff and the night exteriors. The night time close ups inside the car were done at my house and we had a Kino for that. The latitude is ridiculous and definitely saved our butts on some of these shots that we couldn't light.

What started as a quick camera test became maybe the most fun I've ever had shooting and posting a music video. I am so thrilled with this camera. We usually shoot on the epic and I post that stuff as well. I really feel like I have more room to play with the BMCC footage and the skin tones are so much better than red.

This was all shot ProRes in film mode. Cut in Premiere. Graded in Resolve. It's a pretty stylized grade. If anyone is interested, I may make an ungraded prores available for download.

I think this may be the first music vid shot on the BMCC. At least I haven't seen any others as of yet.

American Slang - "Rebelz"

Here's a Vimeo link. You can download the 1080p version here.
Last edited by Larry Sellers on Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xtreemtec

Re: Music Video shot on BMCC

PostMon Jan 28, 2013 3:16 pm

Well Done Mate!! Had not seen a music video yet shot on the BMCC and my personal opinion is that it has the looks like i would want to make it.

You have a lot of shots with direct sunlite into the camera. Did you experience any blinding or were you still able to determen if the shot was right? Without over exposing it to much?
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostMon Jan 28, 2013 4:38 pm

Hi Gavin: Nice camerawork & editing! Props to all involved. And hooray for BMCC ProRes "Film" mode! The download looks great ... I'd love to see a >9mbs download version, but no worries. Curious what was the primary lens used?

Cheers!

Kholi Hicks

PostMon Jan 28, 2013 5:57 pm

Does BB not jerk anymore? =[
Kholi Hicks

dallascurrie

PostMon Jan 28, 2013 6:07 pm

It's awesome to see it used in a music video setting. Looks great!

I would also be interested in what your lens' and gear for the shoot were?

JorgeDeSilva

PostMon Jan 28, 2013 7:47 pm

Very Cool! Love it ;)
This is what BMCC is made for :)
Jorge De Silva - Photography & Filmmaking
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1843499/

Brandon Richardson

PostMon Jan 28, 2013 8:18 pm

My main purpose for the bmcc is Music videos with some shorts thrown in so thank you for this. Great work by the way. I notice most of your day shots had a lot of lens flaring was this on purpose or was that a result of the lens and angles shot? Great job overall and I like the artist and track good song.

Larry Sellers

PostMon Jan 28, 2013 8:26 pm

Thanks guys!!! Ok, so for most of the video, I used the Canon 24-70 f2.8L (previous version). Daytime I used a ND 1.2. Nothing for night. Almost everything was at 800 ISO. The interior car night stuff was the Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS. I turned off the IS to do fake handheld on sticks. Most of that was at 200mm.

Unlike others have reported, my 24-70 works fine on the BMCC. So far, the only lens I have trouble with is the Tokina, won't hit infinity.

The sun flares were absolutely intentional. We sought them out and stayed in that sweet spot. I didn't have trouble seeing because I was using an Alphatron EVF. If I only had the onboard LCD, I would have been screwed. I did get the black dot effect in two shots. The one where it's just BB's hand and finger pointing in the air, and the shot near the beginning with the "american slang" title card. I just fixed them in After Effects. Pretty easy.

And Kholi, BB still jerk. BB jerk real good. lol...

kassim

PostMon Jan 28, 2013 8:27 pm

Very Nice, been waiting to see a music shot with the BMCC...Congrats!!
Kassim Norris

Thomas Schumacher

PostMon Jan 28, 2013 9:03 pm

Wow, that looks GREAT! very nice editing as well.
https://www.gernemehrfilm.de/

Jeggintonfilms

PostMon Jan 28, 2013 9:04 pm

Best pro-res video I've seen from this camera so far!

Really love the grading too. I had my reservations about shooting pro-res but after seeing this it shows what can be done when it's in the right hands.
Filmmaker & Camera-operator
www.jontyegginton.com

Paul Stephen Edwards

PostTue Jan 29, 2013 5:19 am

I'm very impressed with the use of natural lighting... you really milked the sunset time for all it was worth. Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

Learvis

PostTue Jan 29, 2013 6:02 am

cheezweezl wrote:I think this may be the first music vid shot on the BMCC. At least I haven't seen any others as of yet.

Nice video Cheezweez! Not the first music video! 8-) I did one last month the reason it isn't posted because the content. It's called Murder Dem and I'm sure a lot of people will get the wrong ideal because it does have killing in it too. They won't release it until next month I post a few still on the forum later. Once again great job!

Samjack

PostTue Jan 29, 2013 6:30 am

Is this lens flare the movie :lol:
It shows how flares can be useful for effect.
Well done and very useful to see what the BMCC is capable of handheld.

Somehow the title of the music and lyrics one cannot help it would have been more appropriate had you shot it with a Canon Rebel :lol:

Larry Sellers

PostTue Jan 29, 2013 7:14 am

Samjack wrote:Is this lens flare the movie :lol:
It shows how flares can be useful for effect.
Well done and very useful to see what the BMCC is capable of handheld.

Somehow the title of the music and lyrics one cannot help it would have been more appropriate had you shot it with a Canon Rebel :lol:

Lol!!!

That's the irony and the message. Just because you're a white rapper and your song is called "rebelz", that doesn't mean you have to shoot on dslr. It's about escaping the tyranny of the canon rebel dictatorship. It's about rising up from 4 stops to 13 stops. It's about....about....yeah I'm all out. That's as much BS as I can muster up.

Eric Santiago

PostTue Jan 29, 2013 1:55 pm

I'm just surprised how well that 24-70 held out at night.
Can you break it down for the night shots as far as lenses go?
The day shots are money and don't kid yourself, you didn't luck out, you knew what you were looking for.
That's the kind of creative mindset I like working with ;)

Larry Sellers

PostTue Jan 29, 2013 5:38 pm

Thx. All of the night ext was the 24-70. The only time I used the 70-200 was for the night shots in the car. I would have gotten some wider stuff of that but we lost our car and had to use a small compact. Had to keep it tight. We lit that with a kino diva. Shot it outside my garage.

Eric Santiago

PostTue Jan 29, 2013 8:16 pm

cheezweezl wrote:...but we lost our car and had to use a small compact. Had to keep it tight. We lit that with a kino diva. Shot it outside my garage.

Lost as in the owner wanted it back right :)

Well good use of what you have.

I hate you folks with summer weather :P

Its minus 20 here on average and all I can shoot is snow :(

Larry Sellers

PostTue Jan 29, 2013 10:18 pm

Lost as in, the car was rented by the hour and we ran out of money...

Brandon Richardson

PostTue Jan 29, 2013 10:31 pm

Hey I was wondering do you have any ultra wide lenses like less than 18mm? How did you deal with the crop factor?

Larry Sellers

PostTue Jan 29, 2013 11:51 pm

the crop factor is not something i think about. i do have a tokina 11-16 but it won't hit infinity so i haven't really used it. i have a sigma 10mm fisheye that isn't quite as fisheye on the BMCC, but still too fishy for most things. i was able to run around and get what i needed with the 24-70, no problem. i never felt "bound" or anything. i do remember having to get back further than normal to get a wide at one point but no biggie.

on the other hand, this chip size is perfect for this type of shooting. there is no way in hell i would have been able to keep my talent in focus during the walking stuff with a full frame camera. s35 would have been a real challenge as well. i feel like the BG on these shots is just enough out of focus, but i still had the depth i needed to roll with my clunky walking and moving target.

Brandon Richardson

PostWed Jan 30, 2013 12:41 am

cheezweezl wrote:the crop factor is not something i think about. i do have a tokina 11-16 but it won't hit infinity so i haven't really used it. i have a sigma 10mm fisheye that isn't quite as fisheye on the BMCC, but still too fishy for most things. i was able to run around and get what i needed with the 24-70, no problem. i never felt "bound" or anything. i do remember having to get back further than normal to get a wide at one point but no biggie.

on the other hand, this chip size is perfect for this type of shooting. there is no way in hell i would have been able to keep my talent in focus during the walking stuff with a full frame camera. s35 would have been a real challenge as well. i feel like the BG on these shots is just enough out of focus, but i still had the depth i needed to roll with my clunky walking and moving target.

Awesome thanks for the feedback and review. I wasnt sure if I wanted to keep my EF pre order or try to get a MFT since it has some better wide angle glass. I like what you did with this video though so I think I will just keep my EF pre order and maybe get an MFT version as a second camera later on down the road this year if they come out. Really appreciate you taking the time to answer our questions.

rick.lang

PostThu Jan 31, 2013 3:43 am

Brandon wrote:Awesome thanks for the feedback and review. I wasnt sure if I wanted to keep my EF pre order or try to get a MFT since it has some better wide angle glass. I like what you did with this video though so I think I will just keep my EF pre order and maybe get an MFT version as a second camera later on down the road this year if they come out. Really appreciate you taking the time to answer our questions.

You're not alone in your thinking. It makes sense that the BMCC EF and BMCC MFT have different strengths and potentially may both be used on many shots when you have a second operator. Certainly will help with that 'cinematic' look to your work.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography