4.6K Turret for Original Ursa Owners?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Brandon Richardson

PostThu Mar 17, 2016 3:17 pm

One of the big selling points for most I believe is the interchangeability of the sensor on the big Ursa. Owners were also told once the 4.6K sensor and mini went on pre-order last year that owners would be receiving the turrets before the Minis ship for brand loyalty. Obviously, this isn't the case at this point, however there seems to be a complete disregard for the turrets as they haven't been mentioned at all in the press release.

So are the turrets shipping simultaneously? I wont speculate further but anything less than immediate turret shipping or side by side shipping would be unacceptable, especially for those who put a pre-order in at last years NAB.

Gavin_c_clark

Re: 4.6K Turret for Original Ursa Owners?

PostThu Mar 17, 2016 3:24 pm

+1

Can someone please give an indication of when these will ship?

James Parker

PostThu Mar 17, 2016 3:24 pm

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
J.Parker

PaulDelVecchio

PostThu Mar 17, 2016 3:26 pm

I already commented in the other thread so I'll just +1 this.
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv

MartinVidic

PostThu Mar 17, 2016 4:12 pm

Yes! An update on the 4.6K Turret from black magic would be nice! Just a thumbs up that it "will" actually happen?

David Hessel

PostThu Mar 17, 2016 4:41 pm

Looking at the amount of time and effort that they put into this announcement and with the video and statements having no mention of the turrets, I think you have your answer. This wasn't just a the minis are shipping post like the one from Hook. The Mini's are their main marketing camera and they are way overdue so they are shipping them first dispite what they promised before. I really hope that is not the case but is sure does look like it.
David Hessel

Gavin_c_clark

PostThu Mar 17, 2016 4:42 pm

Well they haven't updated the big ursa product page, it's still shipping in March and still has a global shutter... So putting my positive hat on maybe our loyalty will be rewarded with global shutter....

(Although honestly I'd rather have the rolling shutter and now please... It's really not that necessary imho- hundreds of vfx films have been made quite adequately without one!)

Pavel Lavrov

PostThu Mar 17, 2016 4:48 pm

Maybe we should look back and see if we can find that URSA without lens mount. Remember? The one you were supposed to use as recorder....

But im sure we will be surprised with new turret upgrade at NAB... (like nothing happened last NAB...)

Sent - Tapatalk
Pavel L

Gavin_c_clark

PostThu Mar 17, 2016 5:33 pm

There was also the ursa b4 mount... But staying positive, this version exists... And Mr Brawley posted a photo of it back in September (albeit probably a prototype)

And from a business point of view look at the number of views this thread has had vs the one about the mini shipping... There's probably only a handful of people who are actually waiting for the turret

Still proper frustrating though

PaulDelVecchio

PostThu Mar 17, 2016 5:43 pm

Gavin_c_clark wrote:And from a business point of view look at the number of views this thread has had vs the one about the mini shipping... There's probably only a handful of people who are actually waiting for the turret

Still proper frustrating though

Exactly. That's business. Sucks for us. Plus they did mention as a "thanks" for loyalty and for buying into the Ursa early. But again, business. At any rate, I can't wait for the turret. I hope the wait isn't too long.

Donnell Henry

PostThu Mar 17, 2016 6:12 pm

Waiting on the turret as well.. maybe the nice surprise for us turret upgraders is that it will have global shutter enabled
GODS CREATE

cobydax

PostThu Mar 17, 2016 6:25 pm

Yep, +1 for me, too.

Promises were made... gifts exchanged.

Is is definitely disappointing to not have heard any news for us "loyal" customers.
With BMD, no news speaks volumes.
And for them to not even whisper anything regarding the up-gradable turret... I will assume the absolute worst.

It would be fun to keep posting on this thread on a regular bases, just to keep it at the top of the list.
Or even to hijack all the other threads and post questions about the turret to try to get them "locked" for being off-topic.

Hehehe

Donnell Henry

PostThu Mar 17, 2016 6:56 pm

cobydax wrote:Yep, +1 for me, too.

Promises were made... gifts exchanged.

Is is definitely disappointing to not have heard any news for us "loyal" customers.
With BMD, no news speaks volumes.
And for them to not even whisper anything regarding the up-gradable turret... I will assume the absolute worst.

It would be fun to keep posting on this thread on a regular bases, just to keep it at the top of the list.
Or even to hijack all the other threads and post questions about the turret to try to get them "locked" for being off-topic.

Hehehe

I think there will be a nice surprise for us early adopters of the Ursa V1/V2. No news for the most part when it comes to BMD means its quite possible they're working on it.
GODS CREATE

James Parker

PostThu Mar 17, 2016 7:34 pm

Bmd. I'll be happy to be a beta tester. You pick any of our 7 ursas all waiting an update.

J.Parker

Brandon Richardson

PostThu Mar 17, 2016 9:07 pm

I really want to keep the faith, I've been a BM advocate since the first cinema camera and I've owned every camera to date except the studio versions. Research and development issues such as implementing global shutter I can understand wholeheartedly. However if you go back on your word in regards to "rewarding" loyal customers, then that in itself is the proverbial slap in the face. I'm not even trying to come of as entitled snob, but in business and most other endeavors your word is your bond.

It would also make sense to me to clear turret allocations because we are the minority, and manufacturing the turret has to be easier and faster than building an entire Mini 4.6K camera system. So lets see what Grant and BM has in store for those of us who bought into their Flagship system.

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Mar 17, 2016 9:14 pm

More information in regards to the 4.6K URSA and turrets will be coming.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Donnell Henry

PostThu Mar 17, 2016 9:35 pm

Thank you Tony. That's awesome!
GODS CREATE

PaulDelVecchio

PostThu Mar 17, 2016 9:40 pm

Tony Rivera wrote:More information in regards to the 4.6K URSA and turrets will be coming.

Thanks Tony! Good to hear!

MartinVidic

PostThu Mar 17, 2016 9:41 pm

Good to hear! Cant wait!

cobydax

PostThu Mar 17, 2016 10:22 pm

Let me guess...

the information, Tony, will be coming.... soon?

Not only do you insist you're customers have immense patience and understanding, but I suppose you also require them to have a sense of humor.

:)

Oh, and just to "keep in on topic" so this thread doesn't risk being closed... I hope the "soon-to-be-release" 4.6k turret solves the horrible "sensor-malfunction" I experience daily with my V2 Ursa

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Mar 17, 2016 11:55 pm

Hi,

The 4.6K URSA Turret is still in progress. While we can't provide a definitive timeframe, rest assured that we're working hard on this. It will happen.

VicHarris

PostThu Mar 17, 2016 11:58 pm

I've been a very loyal BM customer for some time now, owning 5 of your cameras. I purchased an URSA V1 after the promise of the customer loyalty pledge we were given to receive priority on the 4.6K sensor. I understand delays and whatnot but this is pretty *******. I sunk thousands because of your promise. This isn't like a preorder that I cancel and I lose nothing.

You're move BM.

Donnell Henry

PostFri Mar 18, 2016 12:01 am

Kristian Lam wrote:Hi,

The 4.6K URSA Turret is still in progress. While we can't provide a definitive timeframe, rest assured that we're working hard on this. It will happen.

Thank you guys for letting us know you're working hard on this. Why do i have a feeling you guys will have an extra surprise coming for us with the turrets ;)
GODS CREATE

Brandon Richardson

PostFri Mar 18, 2016 12:21 am

Whoa Whoa Whoa... I +1 Vics sentiments, "TBD" and "It Will Happen" is unacceptable and pretty anti-climatic giving todays news. What could possibly be holding up shipping if its merely a sensor swap and GS got 86'd. The turret in itself is already manufactured, (should be as easy as dropping the 4.6K in an empty turret shell no?). We have better cooling, firmware is pretty global since what 2.0 I believe? So it shouldn't be a hardware issue. I'm Literally scratching my head right now.

So what are the perks of owning the flagship camera, ehhh I should reword that, sounds like entitlement lol. What are the plans to "Reward Brand Loyalty" if shipping us the sensor early is off the table? Discounted sensor upgrades? Free evf?(unlikely).

NAB is a month away so that would be a year from announcement, granted no money has exchanged hands. I'm sorry money has exchanged hands as people bought into the system based on the priority promise. This should be interesting.... :|

(Edit: I'm not trying to come off as argumentative either I'm just genuinely frustrated right now as a consumer. WE aren't potential customers with a pre-order voucher. WE invested into your camera system based on a promise and apparently that promise has been broken)

James Parker

PostFri Mar 18, 2016 12:26 am

Skip the global sensor and give us the turrets please.

J.Parker

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Mar 18, 2016 12:27 am

VicHarris wrote:I've been a very loyal BM customer for some time now, owning 5 of your cameras. I purchased an URSA V1 after the promise of the customer loyalty pledge we were given to receive priority on the 4.6K sensor. I understand delays and whatnot but this is pretty *******. I sunk thousands because of your promise. This isn't like a preorder that I cancel and I lose nothing.

You're move BM.

Hi VicHarris,

Totally understand your frustration. If we could make it quicker, we would. It's not as simple as choosing whether the sensor goes into URSA Mini or the URSA turret. There's still engineering work involved.

PaulDelVecchio

PostFri Mar 18, 2016 12:27 am

Brandon Richardson wrote:Whoa Whoa Whoa... I +1 Vics sentiments, "TBD" and "It Will Happen" is unacceptable and pretty anti-climatic giving todays news. What could possibly be holding up shipping if its merely a sensor swap and GS got 86'd. The turret in itself is already manufactured, (should be as easy as dropping the 4.6K in an empty turret shell no?). We have better cooling, firmware is pretty global since what 2.0 I believe? So it shouldn't be a hardware issue. I'm Literally scratching my head right now.

So what are the perks of owning the flagship camera, ehhh I should reword that, sounds like entitlement lol. What are the plans to "Reward Brand Loyalty" if shipping us the sensor early is off the table? Discounted sensor upgrades? Free evf?(unlikely).

NAB is a month away so that would be a year from announcement, granted no money has exchanged hands. I'm sorry money has exchanged hands as people bought into the system based on the priority promise. This should be interesting.... :|

It could be finishing the firmware/software to integrate it into the parts of the Ursa and also the allocation of sensors. The Minis probably have a heck of a preorder backlog.

I'm just speculating here. Yeah, I'm kinda bummed too, but it is what it is. That doesn't mean I'm not going to cry myself to sleep tonight after drinking a tall cup of warm milk. :cry:

VicHarris

PostFri Mar 18, 2016 12:33 am

PaulDelVecchio wrote:
Brandon Richardson wrote:Whoa Whoa Whoa... I +1 Vics sentiments, "TBD" and "It Will Happen" is unacceptable and pretty anti-climatic giving todays news. What could possibly be holding up shipping if its merely a sensor swap and GS got 86'd. The turret in itself is already manufactured, (should be as easy as dropping the 4.6K in an empty turret shell no?). We have better cooling, firmware is pretty global since what 2.0 I believe? So it shouldn't be a hardware issue. I'm Literally scratching my head right now.

It could be finishing the firmware/software to integrate it into the parts of the Ursa and also the allocation of sensors. The Minis probably have a heck of a preorder backlog.

I'm just speculating here. Yeah, I'm kinda bummed too, but it is what it is. That doesn't mean I'm not going to cry myself to sleep tonight after drinking a tall cup of warm milk. :cry:

I've already started drinking! 2 down. I should stay away from the internet tonight :)

Brandon Richardson

PostFri Mar 18, 2016 1:08 am

Kristian Lam wrote:
Hi VicHarris,

There's still engineering work involved.

That's at least 3 months minimal (speculating). :cry: :cry:

MartinVidic

PostFri Mar 18, 2016 1:16 am

"It WILL HAPPEN" is good enough for me. And I'd actually prefer it with the global shutter. I guess lots of URSA v1 owners didnt pre-order the 4.6k turret so BM thought the turret wasn't that important. I DIDN'T pre-order, but the turret was the reason why I went for the URSA. I'm pretty sure most URSA owners want this upgrade even if they didnt pre-order. I wouldn't even mind paying more for it. And of course I'm hoping for an EVEN BETTER turret later next year!!!

I had 3 issues with my camera and still have to send it in for repair (abroad now). But the 4.6K current is what makes me work around the problems - and I plan to stay with blackmagic.

Guy Fiorita

PostFri Mar 18, 2016 3:43 am

Kristian Lam wrote:
VicHarris wrote:I've been a very loyal BM customer for some time now, owning 5 of your cameras. I purchased an URSA V1 after the promise of the customer loyalty pledge we were given to receive priority on the 4.6K sensor. I understand delays and whatnot but this is pretty *******. I sunk thousands because of your promise. This isn't like a preorder that I cancel and I lose nothing.

You're move BM.

Hi VicHarris,

Totally understand your frustration. If we could make it quicker, we would. It's not as simple as choosing whether the sensor goes into URSA Mini or the URSA turret. There's still engineering work involved.

This is a pretty hard pill to swallow considering the first footage we saw from the 4.6k sensor came from a big ursa. I also remember seeing photos of a 4.6k turret on John Brawleys Twitter account many months ago. If memory serves it was a month before any images of the 4.6k mini surfaced.

cobydax

PostFri Mar 18, 2016 4:14 am

It's on par with beLIEving what you hear from politicians.

Simply put... you can't.

I've read 1000's of posts on this forum since 2013. Many of them simply begging for information.

Then, out of nowhere... Tony R. or John B. will pipe up and cryptically say "soon".

Here's something you can take to the bank: over-promising and under-delivering is not the key to success. And when you **** up, it's far better to over-communicate, then to go silent.

But, given the Grant video where he appeared to be more defensive than anything else... and the "let me answer some of the more popular questions, like: "... the most frequently asked question we get is why 4.6k for resolution".

Really? THAT is the most frequently asked question you've received over the last 9 month delay?

Come on, man.

Oh, and just to "stay on topic", I noticed in the new and improved URSA manual it illustrates upgrading the turret and the hex screws and specific torx... woah... sounds like surgery. Thoughts, anyone?

:)

Andrew Lytle

PostFri Mar 18, 2016 4:53 am

I'll chime in here a little as well. It's pretty unfortunate to hear about the turret to say the least. Some of the other users on other forums have brought up this information when speaking with Blackmagic reps at various shows recently, so its not exactly a surprise. But its certainly puts the early adopters in a bad position. The big Ursa has already faced some serious problems in the past with pink noise issues and other things (I've personally had to send mine in to get replaced), and the point cobydax brings up only kind of compounds my worries. I've had a suspicion that the sensor instillation might not be as easy as people think. When this upgrade finally gets released the warranty on my camera will already have reached its 1 year limit, so I'll be forced to attempt a sensor upgrade on an out of warranty camera. I can imagine if something were to go wrong for whatever reason I would be out 8000$, seeing as I purchased the 4k before the price drop.

I know I've mentioned this in another post but Blackmagic should strongly consider offering an extended warranty with the big Ursa. It's supposed to be a camera that will have multiple upgrades, or so advertised, and one of the main reasons for my initial purchase over other cameras. It only makes sense to offer something that covers the body of the camera along with the new sensor for another year. Hopefully, this is something that is already included in the sensor upgrade package itself.

PaulDelVecchio

PostFri Mar 18, 2016 5:26 am

Kristian Lam wrote: It's not as simple as choosing whether the sensor goes into URSA Mini or the URSA turret. There's still engineering work involved.

Well hey... if you need some help beta testing it.... I'm sure there some among us who would love to help. :)

<---this guy!

Just sayin'....

:D

Gavin_c_clark

PostFri Mar 18, 2016 6:33 am

Kristian Lam wrote:Hi,

just woke up to this... Very disappointed that loyalty isn't being rewarded as originally stated. Quite speechless actually.

Lee Jackson

PostFri Mar 18, 2016 7:44 am

Like I said before, I think the hold up may be because of the need for circuit changes in the body.
I have been in the trenches with this type of thing many times.

Either way, I bet they will work it out very soon.

Gavin_c_clark

PostFri Mar 18, 2016 8:48 am

Guy Fiorita wrote:
Kristian Lam wrote:

You're move BM.

Hi VicHarris,

This is a pretty hard pill to swallow considering the first footage we saw from the 4.6k sensor came from a big ursa. I also remember seeing photos of a 4.6k turret on John Brawleys Twitter account many months ago. If memory serves it was a month before any images of the 4.6k mini surfaced.

23rd September I believe (just for record, unfortunately doesn't change anything)
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (318.75 KiB) Viewed 48372 times

Brandon Richardson

PostFri Mar 18, 2016 8:52 am

Bad news is better than radio silence :roll: . So back to shooting, creating and twiddling my thumbs while I check the forums for an update. At least the Mini is getting out to the masses so more footage for us to see and play with once people start releasing dngs.

VicHarris

PostSat Mar 19, 2016 1:47 am

Hi VicHarris,

Totally understand your frustration. If we could make it quicker, we would. It's not as simple as choosing whether the sensor goes into URSA Mini or the URSA turret. There's still engineering work involved.[/quote]

This is a pretty hard pill to swallow considering the first footage we saw from the 4.6k sensor came from a big ursa. I also remember seeing photos of a 4.6k turret on John Brawleys Twitter account many months ago. If memory serves it was a month before any images of the 4.6k mini surfaced.[/quote]

23rd September I believe (just for record, unfortunately doesn't change anything)[/quote]

Yep.

John Brawley

PostSat Mar 19, 2016 3:42 am

Replacing a turret is about as complex as changing ram in a MacBook Pro.

Maybe less so. And probably could be done faster.

It's not something that has a very high degree of difficulty at all.

It meant to be an upgrade. Something you do in a semi controlled environment. It's not something you should be doing in the field to swap back and forth.

But it's not difficult.

JB.
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Gavin_c_clark

PostSat Mar 19, 2016 7:42 am

John Brawley wrote:Replacing a turret is about as complex as changing ram in a MacBook Pro.

It meant to be an upgrade. Something you do in a semi controlled environment. It's not something you should be doing in the field to swap back and forth.

But it's not difficult.

JB.

Hmm... Maybe a poor analogy.... Current MacBook pros can't be upgraded in any way shape or form! :D

Only joking! I read the instructions, not phased by it at all- would just be concerned about what would happen if somehow I messed it up- especially with my camera being over 12 months old now

(Ps sorry in advance Mr Brawley, posted in good faith, couldn't resist the easy joke!)

John Brawley

PostSat Mar 19, 2016 7:55 am

Gavin_c_clark wrote:
John Brawley wrote:Replacing a turret is about as complex as changing ram in a MacBook Pro.

But it's not difficult.

JB.

Hmm... Maybe a poor analogy.... Current MacBook pros can't be upgraded in any way shape or form! :D

Only joking! I read the instructions, not phased by it at all- would just be concerned about what would happen if somehow I messed it up- especially with my camera being over 12 months old now

(Ps sorry in advance Mr Brawley, posted in good faith, couldn't resist the easy joke!)

whoops..

ha. Didn't know that,

I have the last of the 17" Macbooks and did the ram myself

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Brandon Richardson

PostSat Mar 19, 2016 10:22 pm

Not that I expect this to be answered but how tentative is "It will Happen" . Can we say imminent like by NAB(1 Month). Or should we be looking at 3-6 months. With Minis popping up on eBay I'm trying to decide if I should take the 2 grand for upgrade and add 3-4k to it and try to get one of these minis before the gougin begins lol

John Brawley

PostSat Mar 19, 2016 10:34 pm

Brandon Richardson wrote:Not that I expect this to be answered but how tentative is "It will Happen" . Can we say imminent like by NAB(1 Month). Or should we be looking at 3-6 months. With Minis popping up on eBay I'm trying to decide if I should take the 2 grand for upgrade and add 3-4k to it and try to get one of these minis before the gougin begins lol

I think there's a lot of supply out there. I've already seen three cameras listed on Ebay. I wouldn't take any gouging because I think they have put a lot of cameras out there and they seem to be ahead with production...

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

rick.lang

PostSun Mar 20, 2016 12:40 am

The gouging has begun on BMCuser! URSA Mini 4.6K EF, $5,995.

Actually, that post contravened BMCuser policy and was promptly removed. So I'm sure the gouging has begun on eBay. You can sell something as an individual on BMCuser, but not for more than it cost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by rick.lang on Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rick Lang

Guy Fiorita

PostMon Mar 21, 2016 8:18 pm

I really appreciate all the work BM has put into creating some amazing tools. My ursa has served me well and its paid for itself a few times over. When the announcement was made that turrets would be given to current ursa owners as a 'reward for loyalty' I wasn't expecting it and was pleasantly surprised. Now that that hasn't happened, I can certainly understand reasons why but it still stings a bit. I get excited about new products but don't get upset when they aren't released on time. I think what makes this annoying is the whole reward for loyalty thing. On top of that, it's as if it was never said - no mention of the previous pledge - nada. Then when customers get upset in this thread they're met with a 'this stuff isn't easy' comment. I dont think anyone doubts this stuff is incredibly dufficult. I just want to know what's up and what changed.

Donnell Henry

PostMon Mar 21, 2016 9:08 pm

Guy Fiorita wrote:I really appreciate all the work BM has put into creating some amazing tools. My ursa has served me well and its paid for itself a few times over. When the announcement was made that turrets would be given to current ursa owners as a 'reward for loyalty' I wasn't expecting it and was pleasantly surprised. Now that that hasn't happened, I can certainly understand reasons why but it still stings a bit. I get excited about new products but don't get upset when they aren't released on time. I think what makes this annoying is the whole reward for loyalty thing. On top of that, it's as if it was never said - no mention of the previous pledge - nada. Then when customers get upset in this thread they're met with a 'this stuff isn't easy' comment. I dont think anyone doubts this stuff is incredibly dufficult. I just want to know what's up and what changed.

Guy I really want to believe BM will somehow give us something a bit extra with the turrets. Global shutter, maybe a price reduction? BM has given us stuff that wasn't even promised in some of their cameras. So there's always hope. I'm waiting on the PL turret myself. After buying 3 cameras right before a price reduction, trust me I would be first in line for any incentives they offer. :)
GODS CREATE

rick.lang

PostMon Mar 21, 2016 9:56 pm

I don't think you'll feel quite so betrayed when you are the first to have a 4.6K turret that supports user selectable global shutter and rolling shutter.

Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostMon Mar 21, 2016 9:57 pm

I don't think you'll feel quite so betrayed when you are the first to have a 4.6K turret that supports user selectable global shutter and rolling shutter.

Rick Lang

PaulDelVecchio

PostMon Mar 21, 2016 10:07 pm

rick.lang wrote:I don't think you'll feel quite so betrayed when you are the first to have a 4.6K turret that supports user selectable global shutter and rolling shutter.

That would be cool. But it would be nice to not wait after being promised.

But if we had the option to switch between global and rolling, that would be kinda cool. But the more I think about it, I'd hardly use Global because I want the DR. It would be for .02% of my shooting like camera flashes and maybe car mount.

I guess if I had the choice, I'd rather have it than not.
Next

Return to Cinematography