4.6K Turret for Original Ursa Owners?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

haseebdistorxian

Re: 4.6K Turret for Original Ursa Owners?

PostTue Mar 13, 2018 10:55 am

I had an option either to buy 4.6k mini or 4k v2, due to which asked one of the bm representative i was told the turret is on way that is why i chose to buy v2 and its been years still the turret is not here which means the representative lied and made me choose v2 when i had a choice i would have bought mini 4.6k

David Hessel

PostTue Mar 13, 2018 11:19 pm

They promised the Ursa owners first priority for the 4.6k sensor, they even marketed and sold Ursa units based off that promise. When the time came the delivered the mini first with zero mention of the Ursa owners anywhere, even here on the forums. They just ignored them and left them in the dark like they continue to do. There is no excuse for that.
David Hessel

Asok Kumar

PostWed Mar 14, 2018 6:01 am

Hundred percent correct

Marc Bartholomew

PostFri Mar 30, 2018 7:53 pm

Bump. AKA can we can an official update from BM about the turret upgrade for the full size URSA? Please? Pretty please?

marc

Donnell Henry

PostSat Mar 31, 2018 1:08 am

Hoping to hear something at NAB
GODS CREATE

haseebdistorxian

PostSun Apr 01, 2018 3:16 am

Donnell you wont hear anything at NAB they are just gonna promote their ursa broadcast, sad but its the reality

Donnell Henry

PostSun Apr 01, 2018 11:44 am

Yes i’m Preparing myself for that possibility :cry:
GODS CREATE

David Hessel

PostMon Apr 02, 2018 12:49 am

You will hear nothing about the Ursa ever again from BM unless people make enough noise and force them to say something.
David Hessel

Gene Kochanowsky

PostMon Apr 02, 2018 4:18 pm

David Hessel wrote:You will hear nothing about the Ursa ever again from BM unless people make enough noise and force them to say something.

At this stage, because people have threatened legal action, I doubt you will hear from BM about this. Maybe their lawyers, but only if you are a party to a lawsuit.

It amazes me how people just don't get it. BM doesn't make Ursas anymore, doesn't make parts for Ursas anymore, doesn't make upgrades for them anymore. It's done, over, kaput!

Some of you are like the boyfriend whose girlfriend has moved out, changed her phone number, changed her job, changed her name, didn't tell anyone where she went or how to get ahold of her, dyed her hair, had plastic surgery, and then she committed suicide. And you still demand that she tell you 'its over.'

You need to get over this. It's not healthy.

Michael Odhiambo

PostMon Apr 02, 2018 8:21 pm

Gene Kochanowsky wrote:
David Hessel wrote:Some of you are like the boyfriend whose girlfriend has moved out, changed her phone number, changed her job, changed her name, didn't tell anyone where she went or how to get ahold of her, dyed her hair, had plastic surgery, and then she committed suicide. And you still demand that she tell you 'its over.'

You need to get over this. It's not healthy.

We could have made it work with her. :D

rick.lang

4.6K Turret for Original Ursa Owners?

PostMon Apr 02, 2018 10:07 pm

Cute idea for a 48 hour film contest... substituting Michael’s suggested alternate ending, as a comedy, no suicide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Donnell Henry

PostTue Apr 03, 2018 3:34 am

Gene that girlfriend said she needed space to work things out/find herself. Even though it’s 9 months ago.. I still love her; and hope she comes back, or at least come back and say it’s over. ;)
GODS CREATE

haseebdistorxian

PostTue Apr 03, 2018 5:51 am

Hope she is not cheating on me :D

Michael Odhiambo

PostTue Apr 03, 2018 7:11 am

rick.lang wrote:Cute idea for a 48 hour film contest... substituting Michael’s suggested alternate ending, as a comedy, no suicide.

All shot on BIG URSA

haseebdistorxian

PostTue Apr 03, 2018 7:15 am

Ofcourse Michael haha

Paul R. Williams

PostTue Apr 03, 2018 11:43 am

Just found this in the Netflix list of approved cameras according to https://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/camera ... originals/
Blackmagic URSA (Discontinued)
4.6K — 4608 x 2592
CinemaDNG RAW
Paul R. Williams
    BMPC4K, URSA EF 4K, URSA Mini Pro 4.6K (EF/PL), BMPCC 6K Pro
    SanDisk SSDs & Lexar CFast & Samsung T5 & T7
    SmallRig rigging elements
    iMacPro (2017) 3.2 GHz Intel Xeon W/32 GB/Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB

Jamie LeJeune

PostTue Apr 03, 2018 5:15 pm

Paul R. Williams wrote:Just found this in the Netflix list of approved cameras according to https://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/camera ... originals/
Blackmagic URSA (Discontinued)
4.6K — 4608 x 2592
CinemaDNG RAW

I wouldn't trust anything in one of Premium Beat's clickbait blog articles. They don't fact check them at all and frequently include incorrect information along with bad advice. Referencing a camera that never existed is a good example.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

haseebdistorxian

PostWed Apr 04, 2018 4:02 am

robert Hart

PostWed Apr 04, 2018 4:59 am

Regarding Netflix, which is the mistake, reference to the big URSA photo altogether or just the 4.6K spec mentioned?

On the beginning of the Netflix approved cameras column, this text appears :-
-------------------------------------
4K Resolution:

Camera must have a true 4K sensor (equal to or greater than 3840 photosites wide).
Recording Format:

Minimum of 16-bit Linear or 10-bit Log processing
Bitrate of at least 240 Mbps (at 23.98/24 fps) recording
Recording format must be set to either:
RAW (uncompressed or lightly compressed sensor data)
COMPRESSED (Log Gamma - i.e. S-Log3, V-Log, CanonLog3, REDLogFilm, BMDLog, LogC, etc.)
No looks or color corrections should be baked into the original camera files.
Files must maintain all metadata (i.e. Tape Name, Timecode, Frame Rate, ISO, WB, etc.)
Black Balancing:
-------------------------------------

If this is true or Netflix has not had a change of mind since, then the original Big URSA 4K along with the Sony PXW-Z450, just meets their approved specification as I read it, so long as the Big URSA's sensor has 4000 x 2160 real and not imagined active photosites. This would also bring the Blackmagic 4K Cinema Camera into the fold. Somebody smarter than I might like to correct me if I have made some wayward assumptions.

RaviRajah

PostThu Apr 05, 2018 4:22 am

"
The cameras listed below meet the minimum resolution and recording requirements listed above. This list is not exhaustive; additional approved cameras may be available. "

The big URSA still have a true 4k sensor even if still shooting on the v1 im sure you can come up with something still acceptable after post ...

Marc Bartholomew

PostFri Apr 06, 2018 1:42 pm

I'm just going to keep posting this question until someone gives an official yes or no from BlackMagic. My apologies to the other people on the forum trying to share knowledge and insights into the BM workflow, but this is where BM chose to post an update on July 10, 2017.

Can we get an official update from BM about the turret upgrade for the full size URSA? Please? Pretty please?

marc

Marc Bartholomew

PostSat Apr 07, 2018 5:44 pm

I know a bunch of BM guys are in Las Vegas right now, frantically setting up the booth and meeting with press.

Maybe you could take a moment and deal with a not so insignificant base of your users that really feel left out in the cold here. Just take a minute, talk to Grant, and make a decision. It's not just the camera asset that a lot of us are sitting on, it's the investment in extra heavy tripods and fluid heads and sliders and batteries just to support that behemoth that we're still holding onto with the promise of a sensor upgrade.

Can we get an official update from BM about the turret upgrade for the full size URSA? Please? Pretty please?

marc

Donnell Henry

PostSat Apr 07, 2018 5:47 pm

Marc Bartholomew wrote:I know a bunch of BM guys are in Las Vegas right now, frantically setting up the booth and meeting with press.

Maybe you could take a moment and deal with a not so insignificant base of your users that really feel left out in the cold here. Just take a minute, talk to Grant, and make a decision. It's not just the camera asset that a lot of us are sitting on, it's the investment in extra heavy tripods and fluid heads and sliders and batteries just to support that behemoth that we're still holding onto with the promise of a sensor upgrade.

marc

Marc they haven’t forgotten us. I’m sure we’ll get answers on or a little after NAB
GODS CREATE

Gavin_c_clark

PostSat Apr 07, 2018 7:49 pm

Donnell I’ll take an announcement Monday morning :lol:

Grant if it helps I can almost guarantee I’ll be buying a pocket 4k based on one banner showing a quarter of a camera

Donnell Henry

PostSat Apr 07, 2018 9:26 pm

Gavin_c_clark wrote:Donnell I’ll take an announcement Monday morning :lol:

Grant if it helps I can almost guarantee I’ll be buying a pocket 4k based on one banner showing a quarter of a camera

I’m with you there brother. I’m going to pick up that pocket as well. I have a couple of interior car shots coming up, so the pocket is great news. The turret announcement on Monday even better news ;)
GODS CREATE

David Hessel

PostSun Apr 08, 2018 12:01 am

That will only help them keep their mouths shut, why would BM stick their necks out and make a public statement if you are going to continue to buy from them anyway?
David Hessel

rick.lang

PostSun Apr 08, 2018 12:20 am

David, it’s just like Frank Sinatra was singing, “that old Blackmagic, you’ve got me under your spell!”

Rick Lang

Ellory Yu

PostSun Apr 08, 2018 2:19 am

Grant might just announce that he will give, to all owners of the URSA 4K with a valid serial number, a free Pocket 4K. The caveat is that all owners forget the word "Turret".
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Xtreemtec

PostSun Apr 08, 2018 1:35 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:Grant might just announce that he will give, to all owners of the URSA 4K with a valid serial number, a free Pocket 4K. The caveat is that all owners forget the word "Turret".

All guys already had a oppertunity to buy a Ursa Mini with a huge discount.. You really think he will give another freebie?? :lol: :lol:

I think that if there is no real statement at NAB about the original Ursa cams.. You may loose hope it will ever come.. And it is time to move on... Buy new gear and sell your losses..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Marc Bartholomew

PostSun Apr 08, 2018 2:09 pm

I'm not asking for a freebie, or a discount on a new camera, or anything other than a decision or update on what has been repeatedly promised over the years.

At this point, I'd like to move on from the URSA platform and never look at this forum again, but making that decision would be justified with some definitive information form the manufacturer. There was a lot of thought, and financial investment, on my part to go with Blackmagic cameras as the basis of my business. Which ever way Blackmagic deicides to go with the turret issue I'm personally going to lose thousands, either in lost value, or by spending in additional investment. A decision from Blackmagic would at least put me on one side of that outcome that I would feel I had an informed choice in.

marc

Gene Kochanowsky

PostSun Apr 08, 2018 4:25 pm

Marc Bartholomew wrote:Can we get an official update from BM about the turret upgrade for the full size URSA? Please? Pretty please?

marc

marc, have you tried calling them?

Marc Bartholomew

PostSun Apr 08, 2018 4:45 pm

I had talked to the support department in the US last year when I was having my UMP repaired and they said they didn't know anything.

This forum seems an appropriate place to inquire and to expect a reply since that's were Grant himself gave us an update last July.

Gene Kochanowsky

PostSun Apr 08, 2018 4:59 pm

Marc Bartholomew wrote:This forum seems an appropriate place to inquire and to expect a reply since that's were Grant himself gave us an update last July.

marc, I only suggested because obviously this forum doesn't appear to be an appropriate place to inquire about the turret, anymore. Hasn't been for a long time.

It can be therapeutic to scream into a barrel, but it is unreasonable to think that anything other than a horse throat will come of it. You need to go the mount.

rick.lang

PostSun Apr 08, 2018 5:12 pm

Tilting at windmills or pissing in the wind. Rarely leads to satisfaction.

Still totally agree that people deserve to hear, without equivocation, the final Yea or Nay tomorrow.

Rick Lang

Gene Kochanowsky

PostSun Apr 08, 2018 5:35 pm

I would be surprised if you hear anything from BM. They appear to be in legal mode.

robert Hart

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 9:05 am

[quote="rick.lang"]Tilting at windmills or pissing in the wind. Rarely leads to satisfaction.

I don't know about the latter. - An unremitting burden relinquished and momentary warming of the bare feet on a cold day before the wind-chill sets in??

Gene Kochanowsky

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 11:35 am

robert Hart wrote:
rick.lang wrote:Tilting at windmills or pissing in the wind. Rarely leads to satisfaction.

I don't know about the latter. - An unremitting burden relinquished and momentary warming of the bare feet on a cold day before the wind-chill sets in??

Quite right! It does feel good when you stop hitting yourself in the head with a hammer.

rick.lang

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 12:49 pm

Rick Lang

Marc Bartholomew

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 2:04 pm

I'm not expecting that BMD will say anything today at NAB about the turret upgrade issue. It would be a PR mistake to talk about old products or even admitting you've failed your customers in the past when you're launching a new product (the pocket 4k). BMD's general business model has been to over promise in order to be "disruptive" and then pull back on features by the time it ships. Remember announced products shipping a year later? Remember global shutter on the UMP that never materialized once it shipped? Remember an MFT mount BMCC? I know they're are working on correcting that model, but the whole URSA upgrade issue is a holdover from that business model. If there is litigation going on it would also be bad PR to even admit that.

No, what I'm getting at by posting this everyday is that unless some useful pressure is put on the powers that be, nothing will change. BMD's best hope is that those of us who have made decisions to hold on to their URSA will slowly give up and fade away and they won't have to make any statements. I don't find that an acceptable solution. I was on the fence about selling off my URSA last year while it still had some good value, I held off based on Grant's July update on the upgrade program, and now 8 months later my URSA is worth $1000 less. I had already bought a UMP, and I don't need another.

So, once again, with apologies to those who feel this is not the appropriate place:

marc

Gene Kochanowsky

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 2:27 pm

Marc Bartholomew wrote:... unless some useful pressure is put on the powers that be, nothing will change.

marc, define useful pressure, because what has been going on in the forums doesn't appear to have been all that useful. You need to get Grant on the phone or someone directly below him and apply your pressure there. The forum ain't workin.

But frankly I have no idea why you need to do that. You already know the answer.

Marc Bartholomew

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 3:00 pm

Useful pressure is something that is useful for me. I get to vent and it doesn't take much of my time to post here. I am an individual owner of two BMD products, an URSA and UMP, I don't really have any "pressure" I could apply. I'm sorry if that doesn't work for you, and I already put a pre-emptive apology on my first post. I would suggest ignoring my posts if it bothers you, but I'm having a grand old time. Maybe the mods will kick me off at some point, however I'm not being rude or insulting to anyone (I hope). This is a forum created by BlackMagic to discuss whatever is relevant, and my repeated post is exactly in line with this thread's title.

I could try to call Australia, I could ask Dan Chung and other bloggers or friends that I have that are at NAB this week to go pester the BMD booth. I could give up. This is the method and path I have chosen, and it works for me.

Is it a temper tantrum? Probably. But for the time being it makes me feel better. Thanks for tolerating me.

marc

thomasthaulow

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 5:39 pm

No mention about the turret today either. Unfortunately I think the 4.6 turret discussion can be shut down once and for all now. RIP Ursa Major 4.6k

Gavin_c_clark

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 5:48 pm

Hopefully someone attending can ask the question

Ben Mart

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 6:47 pm

Gavin_c_clark wrote:Hopefully someone attending can ask the question
+1

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Patrick Acum

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 2:12 pm

Does anyone remembert the bad boy? With the new pocket on the front, I think we have a contender..http://videoandfilmmaker.com/wp/index.p ... ursa_hdmi/

Xtreemtec

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 2:38 pm

Patrick Acum wrote:Does anyone remembert the bad boy? With the new pocket on the front, I think we have a contender..http://videoandfilmmaker.com/wp/index.p ... ursa_hdmi/

Ghehe i was about to photoshop the BMPCC4K into such a picture.. :lol: But have been quite busy with other things... It does 4K 60P and does 2K 120P so would deliver right ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Marc Bartholomew

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 3:05 pm

marc

Donnell Henry

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 4:03 pm

+1
GODS CREATE

Gene Kochanowsky

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 4:25 pm

Okay, here it is.

April, 10th 2018 - G. Kochanowsky

Today I announce that the 4.6K turret upgrade for the Ursa camera will not be shipping ever. For those who couldn't figure this out, it's official, you are unable to comprehend the utterly obvious.

Good luck with that, and have a good life.

===================================================================

Are you happy now?

haseebdistorxian

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 6:08 pm

Lets now officially sue them for the product which doesnt fullfill its full purpose that is upgradable, now the statement is there officially, many of us bought this instead of mini 4.6k at the time because that utter blackhole sun was upgradable and had global shutter, we invested money in heavy tripods and other gears.Now its up to us to show them what unhappy and unsatisfied customers are capable of
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography