4.6K Turret for Original Ursa Owners?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

rick.lang

Re: 4.6K Turret for Original Ursa Owners?

PostThu Sep 12, 2019 3:49 am

6K? Why not! After we thought this thread had finally been put to rest, it may have new life thanks to 6K. No official update on the turret for months.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

pulalis

PostThu Sep 12, 2019 8:19 am

[quote="rick.lang"]6K? Why not! After we thought this thread had finally been put to rest, it may have new life thanks to 6K. No official update on the turret for months.

If Blackmagic is a company that stands by its promise, it should do so.

Kyriakos Liarakos

PostThu Sep 12, 2019 2:53 pm

If they manage to make a firmware to support the new sensor and the old hardware this is a great opportunity to prove that they are not letting down their customers.
I hope they add a support for interchangeable lens mounts like mini pro to the new turret.

robert Hart

PostMon Nov 18, 2019 8:47 am

6K would be nice to have but there is not enough available workspace to shoehorn the existing 6K electronic hardware into the turret workspace to retain short sensor data runs without significantly remanufacturing the big URSA body. That simply will not happen.

The original turret sees to have been a split and folded BMPC4K with a distant motherboard supporting more robust peripherals mostly hard-connected via permanent ribbon cables. I suspect that the higher data loads of 6K demand that the data runs from the sensor are even shorter than for the old Cmosis-styled 4K sensor of the original 4K, big URSA and first URSA Mini.

I hope the guys who pull their turrets out for a looksee, take the trouble to rehabilitate the parted thermal transfer material. If they go faithbased and just shove it back in, it may become roasties time for the sensor otherwise. I think some of the sensor failures may be related to heat stress from the firm-setting thermal material parting from metal faces during the violence of shipping.

If I end up getting another "big" URSA, the first cab off the rank will be rehabilitating that thermal junction before anything gets switched on.

Checking the battery mount on the back for pinched wires will be second.

Whilst the turret is out, checking for looseness of the heatsink spurs through the mainboard heatsink slab will be third. If the cooler radiator heatsink spurs are loose, then the soft thermal paste may have slumped away from conductive surfaces and may fail the pair of Xilinx processors.

Hopefully then it will live long and prosper. Otherwise, I have to buy new memory to suit another camera type and remake custom accessories I have built for the URSA.
Previous

Return to Cinematography